ga('send', 'pageview');

Fire Guts NBC Depot in Uyo

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

An inferno has destroyed the depot of the Nigerian Bottling Company (NBC) in Uyo, Akwa Ibom on Wednesday night.

The incident precisely occurred at the company’s office located on Abak Road in Uyo.

It was reported that the fire started from where the pallets were packed and engulfed the entire packing zone.

“The fire started from where the pallets are packed and the fire service was quickly alerted to control the spread to other buildings.

ALSO READ  NNPC Holds Anti-Fraud Training for Staff to Crush Corruption

“In fact, it was so serious; if not for the quick intervention of the fire-fighters it would have consumed the entire depot,” an eyewitness identified as Mr Ekong Charles told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Thursday.

Five trucks of fire-fighting vehicles were reportedly brought to put out the fire, which gutted goods worth millions of Naira.

ALSO READ  Customs Boss Tasks Officers on Professionalism

“Fire does not just happen, it is caused by carelessness and fake electrical installations in our buildings.

“We have organised seminars for people in the markets and advised them to stop storing fuel in their houses.

“We are committed to ensuring that our department response to fire calls within record time so that minimal loss is recorded,” the Chief Fire Officer in Akwa Ibom, Mr Ndarake Ukpe, told NAN.

ALSO READ  Stock Market Bigwigs, Others for Gender Equality Symposium in Lagos

Fortunately, no life was lost to the inferno.

Related Articles

Modupe Gbadeyanka is a fast-rising journalist with Business Post Nigeria. Her passion for journalism is amazing. She is willing to learn more with a view to becoming one of the best pen-pushers in Nigeria. Her role models are the duo of CNN's Richard Quest and Christiane Amanpour.

more recommended stories

%d bloggers like this: