Connect with us

General

Sanwo-Olu Promises Justice for Sound Engineer David Imoh

Published

on

David Imoh Sound Engineer

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State has promised to ensure that the late Sound Engineer killed by a mob in the Lekki area of the state last week gets justice.

The Governor gave this assurance through the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Gbenga Omotoso, in a statement issued on Monday night.

Last week, after boarding a commercial motorcycle, an argument ensued between Mr David Imoh and the okada rider over N100 and attracted other riders, who then lynched him.

There have been calls for justice for the deceased and in the statement today, the state governor said this would be done.

He condemned the mob attack and said the police are interrogating four suspects at the State Criminal Investigation Department (CID), Panti in connection with the incident, while two survivors of the act are in hospital.

According to Mr Sanwo-Olu, the government will address the root cause of this and similar incidents, which have caused public anxiety, appealing to residents to remain calm as police continue to investigate the matter.

“Lagos has no room for savagery and anybody found to have been involved in this barbarism will surely face the law.

“We condemn and will not condone any kind of jungle justice, no matter who the perpetrators are,” the statement stressed.

Modupe Gbadeyanka is a fast-rising journalist with Business Post Nigeria. Her passion for journalism is amazing. She is willing to learn more with a view to becoming one of the best pen-pushers in Nigeria. Her role models are the duo of CNN's Richard Quest and Christiane Amanpour.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General

Banwo Advises Otti Not to Exaggerate Achievements

Published

on

Ope Banwo Free Digital Skills Empowerment

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

The Governor of Abia State, Mr Alex Otti, has been urged not to be carried away by the media attention he is enjoying or be tempted to exaggerate his achievements.

This advice was given by a public affairs analyst and legal practitioner, Mr Ope Banwo, who pointed out that a government that is truly focused on reform and service delivery should allow facts and independent assessments to define its legacy.

He argued that exaggeration, even when intended to inspire confidence, often weakens public trust and exposes the administration to unnecessary scrutiny, stressing that genuine performance speaks for itself without the need for propaganda.

The serial entrepreneur disclosed that while visible progress has been recorded by the Governor in some areas, governance must be anchored on verifiable data, transparency and measurable outcomes rather than inflated narratives.

‎‎“A serious government does not need to exaggerate results. When projects are real, impactful and properly executed, citizens will feel the difference without being told,” Mr Banwo said, acknowledging that the administration of Mr Otti inherited significant structural and financial challenges.

However, he warned that over-celebration of modest gains could blur the line between genuine reform and political messaging, urging him to prioritise sustainability, institutional reforms and long-term economic planning over headline-grabbing claims.

In his view, the true test of the current administration would lie in its ability to strengthen public institutions, attract credible investment and improve the daily lives of ordinary Abians.

‎The public commentator also advised the government to embrace constructive criticism rather than dismissing dissenting voices, noting that feedback is essential for democratic accountability. He maintained that open engagement with critics would ultimately strengthen the administration’s credibility.

‎‎Responding to supporters of the government who argue that positive messaging is necessary to counter years of decline, Mr Banwo said optimism should be grounded in reality, adding that, “There is nothing wrong with communicating achievements, but communication must not cross into exaggeration. Nigerians are smarter than that.”

The US-based lawyer urged Mr Otti’s administration to focus on consolidating its reforms, allowing independent institutions, civil society and the media to objectively assess its performance over time.

Continue Reading

General

Oyo Amotekun Roars Over Arrest of Operative by Police

Published

on

Oyo Amotekun

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

The Oyo State Security Network Agency and Amotekun Corps has expressed its anger over the arrest of one of its operatives by officials of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) in the state.

It was claimed that personnel of the NPF from Zone 11 picked up an Amotekun Corps member known as Mr Amo Saheed Ajibola in a Gestapo-style.

The victim was said to have been lawfully deployed to a static patrol position covering General Gas, Akobo, Ibadan, when he was reportedly abducted at about 2000hrs (8 p.m.) on Tuesday, February 17, 2026.

The commandant of the agency, Mr Olayinka Olayanju, faulted the manner in which the operative was taken, noting that his organisation has consistently maintained a cooperative relationship with other sister security agencies, particularly in handling criminal cases involving their operatives.

“We have always handed over suspected accused to the relevant security agencies on request. That is the standard procedure being observed in our collaboration with the police and other sister agencies,” he said in a statement signed by him on Thursday.

Mr Olagunju stressed that if there were any investigation involving the officer, the appropriate step would have been to formally approach the Amotekun headquarters, especially since Mr Ajibola was on lawful duty at the time of his arrest.

“There was no reason whatsoever to justify the Gestapo-like action of the police officers from Zone 11, Osogbo. There is a need for the police to be civil in their approach by being mindful that all suspects have a right to know their offences and their fundamental rights should be respected during arrest,” he emphasised.

He described the method adopted by the police as unbecoming and advised a better approach in the future in the interest of inter-agency cooperation and effective synergy.

Continue Reading

General

EFCC Hands Over El-Rufai to ICPC Over Alleged N432bn Fraud

Published

on

El-Rufai on Channels TV

By Adedapo Adesanya

Former Kaduna State Governor, Mr Nasir El-Rufai, has been moved from the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to that of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) in the latest dramatic turn in the investigation of an alleged misappropriation of N432 billion.

The ICPC confirmed late Wednesday that the former governor was currently in its custody in connection with ongoing investigations.

In a statement issued just before midnight, the commission’s Head of Media and Public Communications, Mr J. Okor Odey, said, “Malam Nasiru El-Rufai, the former Governor of Kaduna State, is in the custody of the Commission in connection with investigations.”

The anti-graft agency, however, did not provide details on the specific allegations under review or the duration of his stay in custody.

Mr El-Rufai’s transfer to the ICPC comes amid broader scrutiny of financial transactions and projects undertaken during his tenure as Kaduna State governor between 2015 and 2023.

The EFCC interrogation is rooted in the report of the Kaduna State House of Assembly’s ad hoc committee constituted in 2024 to investigate finances, loans and contracts awarded between 2015 and 2023 under Mr El-Rufai’s administration.

Presenting the committee’s report during plenary last year, the committee chairman, Mr Henry Zacharia, alleged that most of the loans obtained by the El-Rufai administration within the eight years were not utilised for the purposes for which they were secured.

While receiving the report, the Speaker of the House, Mr Yusuf Dahiru Leman, alleged that about N423 billion was siphoned under the El-Rufai administration, leaving Kaduna State with heavy financial liabilities and a rising debt profile.

The committee recommended the investigation and prosecution of the former governor and several members of his cabinet over alleged abuse of office, award of contracts without due process, diversion of public funds, money laundering and reckless borrowing.

The Assembly subsequently endorsed a petition to the EFCC and the ICPC, urging them to take up the matter.

The legislative report also referenced disputed cash payments and contracts amounting to over N155 million, as well as the alleged diversion of N1.37bn earmarked for a light rail project. It also cited the purported laundering of N64.8 million by senior aides.

Mr El-Rufai has consistently denied the allegations, describing the probe as politically motivated and insisting that all loans obtained during his tenure were duly appropriated and applied to infrastructural development, education reforms, healthcare upgrades and security interventions.

Recall that the Federal Government has filed criminal charges against Mr El-Rufai in Abuja over alleged unlawful interception of the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

The three-count charge, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026 and filed under the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Amendment Act, 2024, and the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003, accused the former FCT minister of admitting during a television interview that he and unnamed associates unlawfully intercepted Ribadu’s communications.

Continue Reading

Trending