General
New Electricity Act Will Trigger Development in Nigeria—NERC
By Adedapo Adesanya
The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has said the recently assented Electricity Act 2023 by President Bola Tinubu is a significant development for the country’s electricity needs.
The commission, in a public notice, said granting legislative autonomy to the federating states on matters relating to the generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity in their respective jurisdictions shows a sign of positive things to come.
It noted that it would be engaging in a stakeholders’ workshop in July to clarify grievances or counterarguments.
It stated that the landmark legislations mark a pivotal shift in the structure of the power sector and present the potential of bringing about positive developments needed for powering Nigeria’s economy to greater heights.
It noted that the model had been successfully implemented in other jurisdictions, including India, Australia, Canada, and the United States of America (USA), where federal and state electricity regulations and markets are clearly delineated.
The commission said it recognises the importance of learning from the experiences and lessons of these jurisdictions to navigate the potential challenges and maximise the benefits of the evolving power sector landscape.
“There is a need to provide further clarity and delineation of roles and responsibilities between the federal and state regulatory jurisdictions. The clarification shall assist in avoiding conflicts, overlaps, and regulatory uncertainty that may hinder the smooth functioning of the power sector with a consequential adverse impact on investors’ confidence.
“In establishing a clear framework and defining the scope of authority for each level of governance, the commission aims to work with all stakeholders to create an environment that promotes efficient and effective sector governance, thus benefiting investors and consumers,” it stated.
NERC maintained that an orderly transition process was required to minimise disruption and shock to market participants and consumers.
“In this regard, stability and clarity are vital for the confidence of existing players and the encouragement of new investors in the evolving market. The commission recognises the importance of working with all state governments on an orderly transition having regard to legacy reform issues and the novation of existing contractual commitments.
“In pursuit of bringing to effect the laudable provisions of the electricity industry laws and to facilitate a smooth transition, the commission has scheduled a stakeholders workshop to hold in July, with key stakeholders including market participants, state government representatives, and other key interested parties.
“The workshop shall serve as a platform for open dialogue and collaboration, enabling participants to discuss and commence the development of a robust roadmap for a successful implementation of multi-tier electricity markets,” it added.
President Tinubu, on June 10, assented to the electricity bill, which authorises states, companies, and individuals to generate, transmit and distribute electricity.
The new electricity law repealed the Electric Power Sector Reform Act (EPSRA) signed by President Olusegun Obasanjo in 2005.
The new Act signed by Mr Tinubu consolidates all legislation dealing with the electricity supply industry to provide an omnibus framework to guide the post-privatisation phase and encourage private sector investments in the industry.
General
New USCIS Policy: Banwo Law Offers Legal Support to Green Card Applicants
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
An announcement by the administration of Mr Donald Trump on May 22 regarding Green Card applications has continued to ruffle feathers among immigrants.
In the new memo issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), foreign nationals seeking to adjust their immigration status to permanent residence (Green Card) have been asked to apply through consular processing at a US embassy or consulate in their home country, rather than adjusting status while present in America.
Commenting on this latest stance, a foremost immigration attorney, Mr Ope Banwo, said this development could expose many Green Card applicants to severe re-entry penalties if not properly managed, stressing that this carries major legal implications for many immigrants already residing in America.
He noted that the policy may impact not only undocumented immigrants, but also individuals currently living legally in the United States on temporary visas such as H1B workers, F1 students, B1/B2 visitors, exchange visitors, and other non-immigrant visa categories.
“For years, Adjustment of Status allowed many immigrants to avoid the risks associated with departing the United States after overstaying visas,” Mr Banwo stated.
“The danger now is that some immigrants may unknowingly trigger automatic three-year or ten-year re-entry bans once they leave the U.S. for overseas visa processing,” he added.
Mr Banwo explained that many immigrants are unaware that unlawful presence accumulated in the United States can activate harsh immigration penalties immediately upon departure from the country, stating that marriage-based Green Card applicants, employment-based immigrants, temporary workers transitioning to residency, and visa overstays could all face serious complications under the evolving policy framework.
Despite the growing concerns, he urged immigrants not to panic, stressing that informed legal guidance remains the key to navigating the changing immigration landscape successfully.
He also cautioned against depending on social media speculation, “TikTok lawyers,” or unverified online immigration advice when making critical decisions.
According to him, Banwo Law, accessible through SpeakWithOpe.com, is already assisting potentially affected immigrants nationwide by reviewing immigration histories, assessing waiver eligibility, and developing strategic legal solutions tailored to individual situations.
The law firm is also helping clients determine whether they may still qualify for Adjustment of Status inside the United States and advising them on safer legal alternatives where necessary.
Mr Banwo stressed that immigrants should seek experienced legal counsel before travelling outside the United States or taking immigration steps that may affect their ability to return or obtain lawful permanent residency.
General
SERAP Urges Finance Minister to Reveal Recipients of Abuja CCTV Funds
By Adedapo Adesanya
The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has urged the Minister of Finance, Mr Taiwo Oyedele, to immediately disclose the identities of all entities that benefited from the payments under the National Public Security Communication System project in Abuja, commonly referred to as the $460 million Abuja CCTV Project.
The Federal Ministry of Finance, in response to SERAP’s contempt proceedings, had recently disclosed that: “Records from the Ministry of Police Affairs indicate that while local subcontractors may have been engaged, there is an absence of detailed subcontracting records identifying specific local companies that received funds directly from the Chinese loan.”
The Ministry made the disclosure in a letter dated May 15, 2026, signed by its Permanent Secretary, R. O. Omachi.
Responding, SERAP, in a letter dated May 23, 2026, signed by its deputy director, Mr Kolawole Oluwadare, said: “We are concerned that although the judgment was delivered in May 2023, the Ministry only released some information after we commenced contempt proceedings and served a Notice to Show Cause in January 2026.”
According to SERAP, “Nigerians still do not know exactly the names of local contractors for the project. The absence of this information raises serious concerns about record keeping, transparency and accountability, and whether the project was implemented in a manner consistent with the public interest.”
On May 15, 2023, the Federal High Court ordered the Ministry of Finance to disclose the total amount paid under the $460 million Abuja CCTV loan, the identities of local and Chinese contractors who received the funds, the status of the project’s implementation, and details relating to the N1.5 billion reportedly paid for the Code of Conduct Bureau headquarters project.
SERAP said, “The details provided amount to only partial compliance with Justice Emeka Nwite’s judgment. Key questions remain unanswered, and further clarification is needed to ensure full and effective compliance with the judgment.”
The organisation noted that while it appreciates the steps taken by the Ministry to provide some information concerning the Chinese loan drawdown, counterpart funding arrangements, and certain records on equipment deliveries connected with the project, there is still no explanation regarding the missing 6,035 items as part of the status of implementation of the project.
“It remains unclear whether the items were subsequently delivered, whether payment was made for them, whether the contractor defaulted, whether Nigeria suffered any financial loss, and whether any steps were taken to recover public funds.
“The Ministry lists items reportedly delivered in 2013. However, it has failed to clarify how many cameras were installed, if any; where they were installed; whether the cameras are currently operational; and whether the project delivered value for money.
“For a project financed through public borrowing—debt Nigerians continue to repay—full transparency over all beneficiaries, foreign and domestic, is essential. Nigerians have the right to know how public funds were spent, who received them, and what was delivered in return,” the group said.
General
NIMASA Confirms Oil Spill from Bonny Channel Vessel Collision
By Adedapo Adesanya
The Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) has confirmed that a collision between vessels in the Bonny Channel, Rivers State, led to oil pollution in the affected area.
The agency’s Deputy Director and Head of Public Relations, Mr Osagie Edward, disclosed this in a statement, noting that the Deep Blue Forward Operating Base in Bonny received a distress call at about 11:30 a.m. regarding the collision.
He said the incident involved MV Valparaiso, a Singapore-flagged container vessel with IMO Number 9433054, and MT Lady Martina, a Nigerian-flagged oil products tanker.
According to the statement, the Deep Blue Base immediately deployed 10 armed personnel aboard the interceptor boat DB 214 to the scene.
The agency said five crew members aboard MT Lady Martina sustained varying degrees of injuries during the incident.
The spokesperson said the injured crew members were evacuated to the Forward Operating Base sickbay in Bonny for immediate medical treatment.
“Following the collision, MT Lady Martina drifted ashore and is currently aground along the Bonny Channel.
“MV Valparaiso also remains grounded at the Bonny Inner Anchorage pending damage assessment and further investigation,” Edward said.
He said the management of MAERSK had officially reported the incident to the agency.
Mr Edward said the Director-General of NIMASA, Mr Dayo Mobereola, had ordered a full investigation into the immediate and remote causes of the collision.
He added that NIMASA had established a Situation Monitoring Room to coordinate emergency response efforts and monitor developments from the incident.
Mr Mobereola had personally visited Rivers to inaugurate the monitoring room and oversee response operations in the state.
The Director-General also directed the agency’s Marine Environment Management Department to begin an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) of the affected area immediately.
Mr Mobereola urged officials to take necessary measures to mitigate the impact of the Tier One oil sheen and safeguard the marine environment.
-
Feature/OPED6 years agoDavos was Different this year
-
Travel/Tourism10 years ago
Lagos Seals Western Lodge Hotel In Ikorodu
-
Showbiz3 years agoEstranged Lover Releases Videos of Empress Njamah Bathing
-
Banking8 years agoSort Codes of GTBank Branches in Nigeria
-
Economy3 years agoSubsidy Removal: CNG at N130 Per Litre Cheaper Than Petrol—IPMAN
-
Banking3 years agoSort Codes of UBA Branches in Nigeria
-
Banking3 years agoFirst Bank Announces Planned Downtime
-
Sports3 years agoHighest Paid Nigerian Footballer – How Much Do Nigerian Footballers Earn
