Connect with us

General

Customs Destroy 64 Containers of Substandard, Illegal Goods

Published

on

e-Customs Project

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) in collaboration with the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) has destroyed over 64 containers of substandard and illegally imported pharmaceutical products worth billions of Naira in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

The destruction took place on Wednesday at the Rivers State Waste Management dump site along the Port Harcourt Airport road, as part of a nationwide crackdown on illegal drug imports.

Speaking at the site, Assistant Controller General of Customs, Mr Timi Bomodi, who also chairs the committee for the destruction of illegally imported pharmaceuticals, emphasized that the exercise was a joint operation led by a multi-agency committee set up by the NSA, Mr Nuhu Ribadu.

“The mandate given to this committee was to identify, isolate, evacuate, and destroy pharmaceuticals that were illegally imported into this country,” Mr Bomodi stated.

He revealed that the Port Harcourt operation involved the destruction of 64 containers, with an estimated market value running into hundreds of billions of Naira.

Mr Bomodi warned that illegally imported pharmaceuticals pose serious health and security risks, as they often fall into the hands of criminals, kidnappers, and bandits, who use them to sustain their illicit activities.

“These pharmaceuticals pose a grave danger, not only to the health and well-being of Nigerians but also to national security. Some of these substances have been identified as enablers of criminal activities,” he said.

The Customs official disclosed that several arrests have been made, and investigations are ongoing to prosecute those behind the illegal imports.

“There are cases in court, and some have already been prosecuted. Some of these containers had fictitious import documents, making it difficult to trace the exact importers, but we are making every effort to bring those involved to justice,” Mr Bomodi assured.

He also sent a strong warning to those engaged in smuggling illegal pharmaceuticals.

“We ask them to cease and desist. This is not a profitable business, and the long arm of the law will eventually catch up with them.”

Representing the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, Mr Kelechi Ogbonna reaffirmed that the operation was part of a national effort to remove dangerous drugs from circulation.

“The aim is for these items not to find their way back into society in any way. If allowed, they will pose serious health risks and also contribute to insecurity,” Mr Ogbonna said.

He revealed that the first phase of the destruction exercise in Lagos had already eliminated over 70 containers, while more than 100 containers remain to be destroyed in subsequent phases.

The ongoing crackdown has identified major entry points for illegal pharmaceuticals, including Apapa Port, Tin Can Island Port, Onne Port, Calabar Port, Lagos, and Aminu Kano International Airport.

Mr Ogbonna praised the multi-agency approach, stating that the collaboration between security agencies and state governments aligns with the Federal Government’s strategy to combat illegal activities.

“The cooperation from Lagos State, Rivers State, and the Federal Government shows a collective effort to rid our country of these illegal substances,” he added.

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

General

Nigerian Bottling Company Bridges Education, Employability Gap

Published

on

Nigerian Bottling Company UNILAG

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The Nigerian Bottling Company (NBC) has reaffirmed its determination to bridge the gap between education and employability in the country by sustaining its flagship Youth Empowered (YE) programme.

This initiative provides hands-on learning, real-world insights, and access to career-shaping opportunities to young Nigerians.

The 2026 edition of the scheme commenced on February 2 at the University of Lagos (UNILAG), with participants mainly young people between the ages of 16 and 35.

A statement from the organisation said this year’s rollout will expand to more tertiary institutions, including the Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA). This follows a successful 2025 tour that reached seven cities across the country, including Makurdi, Jos, Benin, Kaduna, Asaba, Akure, and Port Harcourt.

Participants in the 2026 programme will receive training across key modules designed to support personal, professional, and business growth, including Business Life Skills, Adaptability and Resilience, Financial Literacy, Customer Service and Communication, Sales and Negotiation Skills, and Workplace Ethics.

The sessions will also feature breakout workshops on Business Planning, Project Management, and Time Management, alongside the Director’s Grant Pitch Competition, where participants can pitch their ideas for a chance to win business funding.

In addition to skills development, NBC’s People and Culture team will be present throughout the programme to identify outstanding talent for future opportunities within the organisation, further strengthening the connection between learning, employment, and long-term career growth.

One of the participants at the UNILAG training, Waliat Adedogun, who received a cash grant through the Director’s Grant Pitch Competition to support her small business, said: “Youth Empowered gave me more than training; it gave me clarity and confidence. Winning the grant means I can finally take my business idea from a dream into something real. I now feel prepared to build, grow, and create opportunities not just for myself, but for others too.”

Since its launch in 2017, the scheme has impacted more than 70,000 young Nigerians, equipping participants with practical skills, confidence, and exposure needed to succeed in today’s dynamic workplace and entrepreneurial landscape.

This year’s programme is being delivered in collaboration with Fate Foundation as the implementing partner, with funding support from The Coca-Cola HBC Foundation.

Last year, 10 beneficiaries were selected for six-month paid internships across NBC locations in Lagos, Ibadan, Asejire, and Challawa, gaining direct industry exposure.

Additionally, three outstanding participants received sponsorship for an all-expenses-paid intensive culinary training programme and were awarded N1 million each to support the launch of their businesses.

Continue Reading

General

INEC Fixes February 20 for 2027 Presidential, NASS Elections

Published

on

Incorruptible INEC Chairman

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The 2027 presidential and National Assembly elections will take place on Saturday, February 20, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has revealed.

In a notice for the 2027 general polls issued on Friday, the electoral umpire also disclosed that the governorship and state assembly elections for next year would be on Saturday, March 6.

Speaking at a news briefing in Abuja today, the chairman of INEC, Mr Joash Amupitan, expressed the readiness of the commission to conduct the polls next year, which is 12 months away.

The timetable issued by the organisation for the polls comes when the federal parliament has yet to transmit the amended electoral bill to President Bola Tinubu for assent.

This week, the Senate passed the electoral bill, reducing the notice of elections from 360 days to 180 days, while the transmission of results was mandated with a proviso.

Recall that on February 4, INEC said it was ready to go ahead with preparations for the elections despite the delay in the passage of the amended electoral law of 2022.

Continue Reading

General

NGIC Pipeline Network to Experience 4-Day Gas Supply Shortage

Published

on

NGIC Pipeline Network

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The pipeline network of the NNPC Gas Infrastructure Company Limited (NGIC) will witness a temporary reduction in gas supply for four days.

This information was revealed by the Chief Corporate Communications Officer of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited, Mr Andy Odeh, in a statement on Thursday night.

A key supplier of gas into the NGIC pipeline network is Seplat Energy Plc, a joint venture partner of the state-owned oil agency.

It was disclosed that the facility would undergo routine maintenance from Thursday. February 12 to Sunday, February 15, 2026.

The NNPC stated that, “This planned activity forms part of standard industry safety and asset integrity protocols designed to ensure the continued reliability, efficiency, and safe operation of critical gas infrastructure.”

“Periodic maintenance of this nature is essential to sustain optimal system performance, strengthen operational resilience, and minimise the risk of unplanned outages,” it added.

“During the four-day maintenance period, there will be a temporary reduction in gas supply into the NGIC pipeline network. As a result, some power generation companies reliant on this supply may experience reduced gas availability, which could modestly impact electricity generation levels within the timeframe.

“NNPC Ltd and Seplat Energy are working closely to ensure that the maintenance is executed safely and completed as scheduled. In parallel, NNPC Gas Marketing Limited (NGML) is engaging alternative gas suppliers to mitigate anticipated supply gaps and maintain stability across the network,” the statement further said.

“Upon completion of the maintenance exercise, full gas supply into the NGIC system is expected to resume promptly, enabling affected power generation companies to return to normal operations,” it concluded.

Continue Reading

Trending