Connect with us

Economy

Brent Gains as US-Iran Strikes Keep Oil Market on Edge

Published

on

brent crude oil

By Adedapo Adesanya

Brent crude futures rose by $1.23 or 1.23 per cent to $101.29 per barrel on Friday as the market weighed the aftermath of the US and Iran trading air strikes, while shipping in the Strait of Hormuz remained largely shut.

Also, the US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude futures went up by 61 cents of 0.64 per cent to $95.42 a barrel, as American and Iranian forces clashed in the Gulf, with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) coming ​under renewed attack amid wait for a response from Iran by the US to its proposal to end the conflict, which began with joint US-Israeli ‌airstrikes across ⁠Iran on February 28.

US President Donald Trump, later on Thursday, told reporters the ceasefire was still in effect and sought to play down the exchange.

However, on Friday, President Trump renewed an ultimatum demanding Iran give up its nuclear ambitions.

Roughly 20 per cent of global seaborne crude oil passes through the Strait of Hormuz, and its disruption created fears of a severe global supply shortage.

Analysts say the oil market is stuck between hopes for a diplomatic breakthrough between the US and Iran and fears of renewed conflict. Some noted that traders expect either progress in negotiations or another escalation in fighting, keeping prices unstable as markets wait for a clearer direction.

However, they added that oil prices are currently reacting heavily to headlines rather than market fundamentals. While tensions remain high, oil shipments through the Persian Gulf have not faced major disruptions, leaving traders cautiously optimistic but uncertain.

Meanwhile, the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission is investigating oil price trades totalling $7 billion placed shortly ahead of key Iran war-related announcements by President Trump.

US forces struck two empty Iranian-flagged oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman on Friday. US Central Command (CENTCOM) said the vessels were attempting to violate the American naval blockade around Iranian ports.

According to CENTCOM, fighter aircraft disabled both tankers by firing precision munitions into their smokestacks. A third Iranian-flagged vessel had already been disabled earlier this week.

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Economy

N40bn Bond: Relief as Geregu Power Pays N6bn to Bond Investors After Default

Published

on

Equity Stake in Geregu Power

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

Those who purchased the N40 billion bond issued by Geregu Power Plc in 2022 but did not receive payments last month as expected have reportedly now been paid by the energy company.

Geregu Power, listed on the Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited, was in the news recently over the repayment default on July 28, 2026, triggering panic in the capital market.

Last week, the organisation admitted the issues caused by this default, but said, “Discussions and engagements are ongoing, and the company will continue to act in good faith in fulfilling its responsibilities.”

It further disclosed that “relevant stakeholders and advisers [are being actively engaged] regarding the resolution of the various challenges and is committed to achieving an orderly and mutually beneficial outcome.”

The latest information indicated that N6.03 billion owed investors under the firm’s N40.09 billion Series 1 Senior Unsecured Bond has been cleared.

This is expected to bring relief to investors, who may have feared the worst after the entity failed to meet its debt obligations when due.

However, on the FMDQ Securities Exchange, the status of the debt instrument remains as “credit default in the 8th coupon payment and 4th bullet principal repayment.”

As of the time of filing this report, Geregu Power has yet to confirm the clearing of the N6 billion debt.

Continue Reading

Economy

Energy Stocks Sink NGX Index by 0.36% to 240,750.47 points

Published

on

NGX All-Share Index

By Dipo Olowookere

The Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited extended its losing streak to seven consecutive sessions on Wednesday after it closed lower by 0.36 per cent.

The loss suffered yesterday was inflicted by the energy space, which significantly shed 4.63 per cent at the close of business. This was because of profit-taking in Aradel Holdings.

Further, the insurance segment went down by 0.88 per cent due to sell-offs, especially after news of the revocation of the operating licence of Universal Insurance Plc by the National Insurance Commission (NAICOM) after it missed the new recapitalisation requirements.

The consumer goods index depreciated at midweek by 0.31 per cent, while the banking space recovered 0.54 per cent, with the industrial goods segment closing flat.

When market activities ended for the session, the All-Share Index (ASI) was down by 860.76 points to 240,750.47 points from 241,611.23 points, and the market capitalisation gave up N556 billion to settle at N155.417 trillion compared with the previous day’s N155.973 trillion.

International Energy Insurance shed 10.00 per cent to quote at N4.77, Aradel lost 9.99 per cent to trade at N1,374.20, Universal Insurance slumped by 9.41 per cent to 77 Kobo, Red Star Express depreciated by 9.26 per cent to N14.70, and Royal Express crashed by 8.62 per cent to N1.06.

On the flip side, Haldane McCall gained 10.00 per cent to end at N3.52, Coronation Insurance improved by 8.44 per cent to N2.44, UAC Nigeria jumped by 6.56 per cent to N177.85, AVA Capital grew by 6.29 per cent to N7.60, and Caverton rose by 5.32 per cent to N4.95.

The most active equity during the session was Fortis Global Insurance, with a turnover of 610.7 million units worth N1.2 billion. FCMB traded 60.9 million units worth N722.9 million, Fidelity Bank transacted 57.0 million units valued at N1.2 billion, Consolidated Hallmark sold 46.3 million units worth N312.7 million, and Royal Exchange exchanged 43.5 million units valued at N45.8 million.

In all, a total of 1.2 billion shares valued at N37.8 billion exchanged hands in 34,546 deals on Wednesday compared with the 429.8 million shares worth N27.5 billion traded in 35,683 deals on Tuesday. This indicated a spike in the trading volume and value by 179.20 per cent and 37.46 per cent, respectively, while the number of deals declined by 3.19 per cent.

Continue Reading

Economy

NAICOM Withdraws Universal Insurance Operating Licence

Published

on

Universal Insurance shares

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

The operating licence of Universal Insurance Plc has been withdrawn by the National Insurance Commission (NAICOM).

This action was taken by the regulator over the failure of the underwriting firm, which is listed on the Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited, to meet the new recapitalisation requirements on or before July 31, 2026.

NAICOM said it revoked the company’s licence based on its powers stipulated in the Nigerian Insurance Industry Reform Act (NIIRA) 2025.

The regulator has appointed a Receiver/Provisional Liquidator for the insurance company, and he is Mr Ogbonna Chukwumerije, a partner at Pinheiro LP.

He will immediately trace, recover, secure and take possession of Universal Insurance’s assets, collate its liabilities and facilitate their settlement in accordance with the provisions of NIIRA 2025.

He is also required to liaise with NAICOM and submit periodic reports on the progress of the receivership and liquidation process.

Already, Mr Chukwumerije has informed banks, financial institutions, policyholders, creditors, debtors, customers and members of the public that Universal Insurance had entered receivership, advising parties dealing with the company’s funds, assets, records, policies, claims and liabilities to verify the authority of anyone claiming to act on its behalf.

Banks and other financial institutions were specifically warned against honouring withdrawals, transfers, payment mandates or other instructions issued on behalf of Universal Insurance unless authorised by the receiver.

However, Universal Insurance has taken steps to appeal NAICOM’s decision. The organisation was among six insurers that failed to meet the recapitalisation deadline.

Continue Reading