Connect with us

Sports

Heritage Bank Backs Africa Freestyle Football Championship

Published

on

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

A partnership deal has been signed between Heritage Bank and Feet ‘N’ Tricks International Limited for the maiden edition of Africa Freestyle Football Championship a resounding success.

The premier edition of the tournament which is scheduled to hold from September 13 to 15, 2018 at the Balmoral Convention Centre at the Federal Palace in Lagos is being planned as a perfect fusion of freestyle football and entertainment that would feature top musical and dance artistes.

Divisional Head, Corporate Communications, Heritage Bank, Mr Fela Ibidapo who disclosed this at a media launch in Lagos recently said the bank is excited to be part of an initiative that would provide bountiful entertainment to Nigerians and others across the African continent.

Also speaking, Chairman of Feet ‘N’ Tricks International Limited, Mr Valentine Ozigbo, said registration for the tournament is open to male and female freestylers of African descent and will close on 15 August 2018, adding that the registration is available on the company’s website for interested individuals.

He said the qualifying rounds and Nigerian championship would hold between September 13th and 14th at the Balmoral Convention Centre, Federal Palace Hotel in Lagos.

He explained that after the final rounds, the best 16 male and eight female freestyle athletes on the continent would battle it out at the grand finale on 15 September 2018 when the first African male and female Freestyle Football champions would be crowned.

The chairman said the 2018 Africa Football Championship will also host international freestyle professionals, Guinness world record holder, Iya Traore and female freestyler, Raquel Benetti from Brazil.

Mr Ozigbo said Feet ‘N’ Tricks International is excited to chart a new direction for freestyle football in Africa. He said the company expects at least 20 African countries to be represented at the championship, adding that contestants from more than half of the number had already registered.

He said Feet ‘N’ Tricks International would promote the development of African freestyle talent and continually exploit all available resources to create more awareness for the sport.

The chairman said winners would go home with mouth-watering prizes worth more than $50,000, including a brand new salon car as well as qualification and sponsorship for the global championship.

The co-founder and head of partnerships for WFFA, Daniel Wood, in a televised message also expressed love for the energy and passion for freestyle football being shown by aficionados of the sport in Africa.

Wood said, “We are excited at the World Freestyle Football Association to see the best talents from across Africa come together on one stage to compete for this title. Everyone will be competing not only for the prizes but for some world ranking points too and the winner will be in a fantastic position to challenge the world’s best.”

According to the World Freestyle Football Association (WFFA), freestyle football is the art and sport of juggling a football using all parts of the body to entertain audiences and outperform opponents. The spectator sport is a fusion of tricks with a ball, dance and music.

Modupe Gbadeyanka is a fast-rising journalist with Business Post Nigeria. Her passion for journalism is amazing. She is willing to learn more with a view to becoming one of the best pen-pushers in Nigeria. Her role models are the duo of CNN's Richard Quest and Christiane Amanpour.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

All Set for 2026 Access Bank Lagos City Marathon February 14

Published

on

2026 Access Bank Lagos City Marathon

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

This year’s Access Bank Lagos City Marathon will take place on Saturday, February 14, 2026, and a statement from the organisers disclosed that all is set for the prestigious event.

For athletes, the Access Bank Lagos City Marathon serves as a gateway to global opportunity. Nigerian runners gain increased visibility and competitive credibility, while the presence of elite international athletes raises performance standards and enhances professional recognition.

With proper race certification and organisation, athletes’ achievements carry global relevance. Access Bank’s international presence further supports cross-border participation, creating a two-way exchange where local talent gains exposure and international runners experience Nigerian culture firsthand.

Since its inception, the marathon has evolved from a bold vision into a globally recognised annual sporting event. Over the years, the participation level has grown significantly, organisational standards have strengthened, and the race has earned increasing international credibility.

Central to this progress has been Access Bank’s consistent, long-term sponsorship, focused not on short-term promotion, but on building a professional, safe, and world-class sporting platform.

The event maintains its status as one of Africa’s leading road races and exemplifies the impact of sustained collaboration, unified objectives, and civic engagement in advancing the interests of the city and its residents.

By consistently investing in logistics, safety, and effective operations, this partnership has elevated the marathon from simply a sports event to a cultural and civic milestone for Lagos. The expansion of the marathon demonstrates how ongoing dedication and teamwork can make a significant difference.

Beyond competition, the marathon has played a notable role in shaping Lagos’ culture and global perception. It has encouraged a stronger fitness and wellness culture among residents, normalising jogging, walking, and group training as everyday lifestyle habits. The race day also fosters community spirit, with thousands of volunteers, spectators, and residents coming together to support participants.

Internationally, the event has positioned Lagos as a city capable of hosting large-scale, world-class events, helping to shift perceptions towards vibrancy, organisation, and cultural energy. In doing so, the marathon has helped Lagos see itself, and be seen, as a city of movement, resilience, and possibility.

Volunteerism and civic participation remain integral, strengthening social cohesion and community pride. Ultimately, its success is measured not just in kilometres run, but in communities strengthened and lives positively influenced.

Environmental responsibility has also become an important focus of the event. Structured waste management and post-race clean-up initiatives are implemented along race routes, with increasing emphasis on responsible disposal and recycling awareness. Through collaboration with volunteers and local groups, the marathon demonstrates that large-scale events can balance excitement with environmental care, proving that celebration and responsibility can co-exist when sustainability is treated as a shared duty.

As Lagos looks forward to the race day on February 14, it is worth recognising Access Bank’s pivotal role in powering the Lagos City Marathon year after year. Through its sustained sponsorship, Access Bank has demonstrated outstanding commitment not only to the sporting event but also to the city's growth and global connections.

Continue Reading

Sports

Nottingham Forest Sack Sean Dyche, Eyes Vitor Pereira as Next Coach

Published

on

Sean Dyche

By Adedapo Adesanya

English football club, Nottingham Forest, have sacked manager, Sean Dyche, making him the third managerial exit at the club this season.

Mr Dyche was sacked after a goalless draw against bottom club Wolverhampton Wanderers on Wednesday night in the Premier League.

It is the third time Nottingham Forest have dismissed a coach this season after the sackings of Nuno Espirito Santo and Ange Postecoglou.

His exit comes as the club has won three of their last 13 games in all competitions and is placed 17th in the league, just three points above the relegation zone.

Nottingham Forest confirmed Mr Dyche’s departure on Thursday morning.

“We would like to thank Sean and his staff for their efforts during their time at the club, and we wish them the best of luck for the future,” the club said in a brief statement.

After the Wolves game, Mr Dyche said that it was up to the owner, Mr Evangelos Marinakis, to make a managerial change.

The 54-year-old was appointed by Forest last October to replace Mr Postecoglou, who was in charge of eight games and failed to win any of them. Mr Postecoglou had been appointed after the sacking of Mr Espirito Santo on September 8, less than a month into the season. The latter had led Nottingham Forest to a seventh-place finish in the 2024-25 campaign and qualified for European football.

Mr Dyche oversaw a 12th-place finish in the league phase of the Europa League competition, but like Thomas Frank, who was sacked by Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday, Mr Dyche’s domestic run was poor as he won only six of his 18 Premier League games in charge and his side were eliminated in the FA Cup third round by Championship club Wrexham on penalties.

As per reports, former Wolves coach Vitor Pereira is the frontrunner to replace Mr Dyche and become Nottingham Forest’s fourth manager of the season.

Mr Pereira has not coached professional football since he was sacked by Wolves in November 2025 after failing to win any of their first 10 Premier League games of the season.

However, the Portuguese was widely credited with saving Wolves from relegation after his appointment in December 2024 sparked a significant improvement in results. He also has a past relationship with Mr Marinakis, having coached Olympiacos (also owned by the Greek billionaire businessman) in the 2014-15 season, culminating in them winning the Greek league and a domestic cup double.

Continue Reading

Sports

The Best Betting Site in Nigeria – Secretbet

Published

on

Secretbet

Online betting in Nigeria has really taken off lately. So many people are into it, especially with football being huge here. Everyone bets on Premier League or local games, and now they want sites that are quick and safe. I think Secretbet might be the top one, at least from what I have seen. It covers everything a bettor needs without too much hassle.

The whole thing is booming because Nigeria loves sports, right? The Internet makes it easy to jump in from anywhere. Platforms have to offer good odds and fast payouts to keep up. Secretbet fits that, with options for all kinds of matches.

What stands out about Secretbet is how it feels made for us in Nigeria. The site is straightforward, works on phones or laptops without lagging. You can sign up and bet in no time. It’s reliable, I guess, which is key when you are waiting for results.

They have tons of sports too. Football is the main draw, like the English Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Champions League, even international ones. Then there is basketball, tennis, hockey, esports, all that. Markets vary, match outcomes, over-under, both teams scoring, handicaps, special stuff. It keeps things interesting.

Live betting is another part that seems solid. You bet during the game, odds change as it goes. Good for watching momentum or players. The interface doesn’t slow down, keeps you in it.

Odds are competitive, which matters for making money over time. Better odds mean more back on your bets. Secretbet keeps them fair and clear, no tricks there.

Payments are fast and secure. Deposits and withdrawals don’t take forever. They use encryption to keep data safe, so you don’t worry about that.

Bonuses help too. New users get welcomes, regulars have promotions to boost things. It adds value if you play smart.

They push responsible betting, with tools to stay in control. Make sure it’s fun, not a problem.

Overall, Secretbet is a betting site that has wide coverage, good odds, quick payouts, live features.

Continue Reading

Trending