Connect with us

Economy

Oando Shareholders Beg Buhari to Sack Adeosun

Published

on

By Dipo Olowookere

President Muhammadu Buhari has been urged to immediately sack Minister of Finance, Mrs Kemi Adeosun, for allegedly meddling in the forensic audit of Oando Plc.

South-South Coordinator of the Oando Shareholders Solidarity Group (OSSG), Mr Clement Ebitimi, made this plea in a statement issued on Monday in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

The shareholders of Oando claimed that the alleged interference of the Minister in the audit of the oil firm was a bug stain on the anti-corruption campaign of Mr President, whose integrity could be marred by this action.

Last week, Director General of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Mr Mounir Gwarzo, was suspended by the Minister.

Reports later surfaced last week indicating that Mrs Adeosun told the suspended DG to drop the forensic audit of Oando.

In the statement on Monday, shareholders of Oando alleged that Mrs Adeosun has “lost the moral authority” to remain in President Buhari’s cabinet considering “her repugnant role in shielding the embattled management of Oando Plc from forensic audit in the face of the monumental abuse in the company”.

Mr Ebitimi, who led a group of shareholders to protest at Oando’s Annual General Meeting in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State in September, said, “We condemn in strongest terms the recent suspension of the Director-General of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Dr Mounir Gwarzo, by the Minister of Finance, Mrs Kemi Adeosun.

“Facts in the public space have revealed that Mrs Kemi Adeosun acted in her capacity as a federal minister to stall the impending forensic audit into Oando Nigeria Plc.

“This is a gross abuse of power and an embarrassment to our corporate existence as a nation. It is shameful, totally embarrassing and should be condemned by all well-meaning Nigerians.

“Dr Munir Gwarzo has demonstrated exemplary leadership as the Director-General of the Securities and Exchange Commission. He is a trusted helmsman that has earned the respect of stakeholders in the Nigerian capital market operations.

“Unlike the Minister of Finance who has brazenly abused her powers for personal gains, Dr Gwarzo has used his office to protect the interest of shareholders in the country’s capital market thereby boosting investment in the market.

“We consider the suspension as an abuse of public office, completely unexpected and unacceptable of a government official. There is nothing more definitive and exemplifying of corruption than the action by the Minister. She has personally and singly rendered the anti-corruption mantle of this government rudderless by this singular action. She is not fit to remain a part of the Buhari administration and no longer fit to be entrusted with any public assignment. The Minister has failed to act honourably on this matter and consequently made it difficult to bestow honour on her.”

The activist said Oando shareholders are deeply concerned about the plight of the company and strongly believe the only solution is for the intervention of the regulatory authorities as demonstrated by SEC under Gwarzo.

According to him, “The management of Oando has for so long relegated shareholders to nonentities; we no longer have a say in the company we invested in. The management has been mismanaging the company while they continue to buy the conscience of some powerful people to support the sustained mission of wrecking the company.

“As of today, every conscientious shareholder of Oando Nigeria Plc is angry. They are angry because of the way the company is being managed. We have held protests across the country starting with the Annual General Meeting dubiously held in Uyo; we have written petitions to the National Assembly and called on well-meaning Nigerians to intervene in the well-orchestrated mission to destroy shareholders’ value in Oando.

“Just when the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) intervened and sought to finally unravel the extent of the financial mismanagement and corporate governance abuse, Mrs Kemi Adeosun has thrown herself on the way as a stumbling block.

“Our questions to the Minister are: 1. What is your stake in Oando Nigeria Plc? 2. What is your relationship with Wale Tinubu? 3. How much are you being paid for this job and how much have you been promised? We need answers to these questions to clearly understand why the Minister would choose to provide the umbrella for corruption while Dr Gwarzo is bent on throwing light on the darkness that has engulfed Oando Nigeria Plc.

“We will not sit by and watch our investment go down the drain without giving a fight. Many of us bought the shares of Oando at N90, today the price has dropped to N5. The drop in price is not a result of natural events; it is not a result of the drop in crude oil price as the management is trying to make us believe. The drop in price is due to the mismanagement of the company by Wale Tinubu and co. The auditors of the company for three years consecutively have cast a doubt on the going concern of the company because its liabilities are more than its assets. In this dire situation the management of the company has continued to expend company resources on frivolous things that do not add value to the steadiness of the company.

“In fact, they have continued to increase remuneration of the board while shareholders are left to suffer. Whereas other oil companies are making progress and declaring profit, Oando Nigeria Plc has continued to dwindle, racing towards liquidation with no break in sight.

“Rather than join hands with SEC to save shareholders and rescue the company, Mrs Kemi Adeosun is bent on killing Oando Nigeria Plc by retaining the current incompetent management who lack depth and thoroughness in managing a company. What we need is the forensic audit of Oando to go on. And we clearly understand that the suspension of Dr. Gwarzo is to pave the way FOR another helmsman who will either suspend the forensic audit or ensure that the company only pays fine for the weighty allegations before it.

“This is a clear distraction aimed at suppressing the main issue, which is that Oando as a company cannot survive as a going concern because of the gross abuse of trust, and corporate governance abuse of the Tinubu-led management.

“In the 2016 annual report of the company, the auditors Ernst & Young stated: “We are drawing attention to note 45 in the financial statements, which indicates that the company reported a comprehensive loss for the year of N33.9 billion (2015: loss N56.6 billion) and as at that date, it’s current assets exceeded current liabilities by N14.6 billion (2015: N32.8 billion net current liability).

“The group recorded a comprehensive income of N112.4 billion for the year ended December 31, 2016 (2015: loss N37.8 billion) and as at that date, its current liability exceeded current assets by N263.8 billion (2015: N260.4 billion).

“As stated in the notes, these conditions, along with other matters, indicate that a material uncertainty exist that may cast significant doubt on the company (and Group’s) ability to continue as a going concern. This is a major disturbing issue that must be addressed by relevant authorities and every concerned stakeholder.

“We all know that the only way to rescue Oando Nigeria Plc at this point in time is for the Wale Tinubu led management to resign and allow an unhindered forensic audit. We are well aware that there will be more discoveries at the end of the forensic audit. This needs to be done to sanitise our capital market and protect investors. To do otherwise is to show to the whole world that our capital market is populated by companies that have integrity questions. We should not allow the misdeeds of the people at Oando Nigerian Plc to become the image of our capital market. Our nation must purge itself of every untrustworthy individual and their abettors. We want the management of Oando Nigeria Plc to resign and we call on the Minister of Finance, Kemi Adeosun to resign her position for gross abuse of public office or be sacked by President Buhari who is not known to condone corrupt practices and abuse of public trust as brazenly exhibited by Adeosun.”

Dipo Olowookere is a journalist based in Nigeria that has passion for reporting business news stories. At his leisure time, he watches football and supports 3SC of Ibadan. Mr Olowookere can be reached via [email protected]

Economy

Crude Oil Prices Climb on Fears of Prolonged Iran War Disruptions

Published

on

crude oil prices

By Adedapo Adesanya

Crude oil prices climbed about 3 per cent on Monday as worries over supply disruption from the Iran war offset a report that the US had agreed to ‌waive sanctions on Iranian crude during talks.

Brent futures rose $2.84 or 2.6 per cent to $112.10 a barrel, while the US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude for June delivery jumped $3.24 or 3.1 per cent to $108.66 per barrel.

Drone attacks on both the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Saudi Arabia further dimmed hopes of any de-escalation in the region.

The drone strikes included an attack that led to a fire near the Barakah nuclear power plant in the UAE, with the country’s defence ministry saying two other drones had been successfully dealt with. Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia said it had intercepted three drones that entered its airspace from Iraq.

These attacks are just the latest in a string of attacks on US allies in the region after President Donald Trump launched Project Freedom, his latest attempt to reopen the Strait of Hormuz for trade.

The lack of a breakthrough on an Iran agreement during President Trump’s visit to China also added to upward pressure for oil prices, with fears of major global shortages now rising rapidly.

Also, the International Energy Agency (IEA) said ​commercial oil inventories were depleting rapidly, with only a few weeks’ worth left due to the conflict and the closure of the strait to shipping.

The head of the Paris-based agency, Mr Fatih Birol, said the release of strategic reserves had added 2.5 million barrels of oil per day to the market, but they were “not endless”.

Reuters cited an Iranian media report that the US had accepted in the new text to waive Iran’s oil sanctions during the period of talks, also reporting that Pakistan has shared with the US a revised proposal from Iran to end the war in the Middle East.

According to the Financial Times, Scotland-based economists are now examining a scenario where Brent crude surges to $180 per barrel if traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains constrained for an extended period.

In China, growth lost momentum in April, with industrial output cooling and retail sales sinking to more than three-year lows as the world’s second-biggest economy faced higher energy costs from the Iran war and persistently weak domestic demand.

Continue Reading

Economy

FG Unveils Tax Ombud Office’s Website, Toll-Free Call Centre

Published

on

tax education

By Adedapo Adesanya

The federal government has reaffirmed its commitment to building a transparent, accountable and citizen-focused tax administration system, with the unveiling of the official website and launch of the toll-free call centre of the Tax Ombud Office.

The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mr Mohammed Idris, on Monday described the development as a major step toward improving public confidence in the country’s tax system and enhancing access to complaint-resolution services for taxpayers.

“This is a major milestone in strengthening public trust, improving accessibility, and promoting fairness in Nigeria’s tax administration system. Effective communication and citizen engagement remain central to the success of ongoing economic reforms such as this,” the minister said.

He noted that the Mr Bola Tinubu-led administration was focused on implementing reforms aimed at strengthening revenue generation, ensuring fiscal sustainability and driving national development.

According to him, “Under the visionary leadership of President Bola Tinubu, the federal government remains steadfast in its commitment to building a stronger, more resilient, and prosperous economy through bold and strategic reforms.”

The minister stressed the importance of taxation in national development, saying it provides resources needed for investments in critical sectors such as infrastructure, healthcare, education, transportation and security.

He, however, maintained that tax administration must be built on trust, transparency and fairness rather than enforcement alone.

“Tax administration cannot succeed on enforcement alone. It must be supported by public trust, transparency, fairness, and effective communication,” Mr Idris stated.

He explained that the Tax Ombud Office was created to serve as a bridge between taxpayers and tax authorities by providing a fair and professional platform for handling complaints and resolving disputes.

The minister also commended the introduction of the toll-free call centre and official website, describing them as important tools for improving public access to information and removing communication barriers.

“The launch of the Toll-Free Call Centre demonstrates a commitment to removing communication barriers and ensuring that Nigerians can easily seek information, make enquiries, and resolve complaints without unnecessary difficulties or financial burden,” he added.

Mr Idris further emphasised the need for sustained civic education and public enlightenment to encourage voluntary tax compliance and responsible citizenship.

“Tax education is not just about revenue generation; it is about building a culture of national participation and shared responsibility,” he said.

The minister warned that misinformation and poor communication often weaken public trust in reforms, calling for stronger collaboration among government institutions, the media, civil society groups and other stakeholders.

“Misinformation and inadequate communication often contribute to distrust and resistance to reforms. This underscores the importance of strategic media engagement and sustained public communication,” he noted.

He pledged the continued support of the Federal Ministry of Information and National Orientation in sensitising Nigerians on tax reforms, taxpayers’ rights and available complaint-resolution mechanisms.

Continue Reading

Economy

Peter Obi Raises Eyebrows Over Tinubu’s $11.6bn Debt Servicing Plan

Published

on

peter obi

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

The presidential candidate of the Labour Party in the 2023 general elections, Mr Peter Obi, has expressed worry over plans by the administration of President Bola Tinubu to spend about $11.6 billion on debt servicing.

In a post on his social media platform on Monday, the opposition politician criticised this move, saying it is not good for the country.

He also said this action “should concern anyone interested in the country’s economic future and long-term development.”

The former Governor of Anambra State kicked against the penchant of the government to borrow from various sources without anything to show for it.

“There is nothing inherently wrong with borrowing when it is guided by prudence and directed toward productive investment, he noted, stressing that countries such as Japan, the United Kingdom, the United States, the United Arab Emirates, Singapore, and Indonesia are all heavily indebted, yet their borrowings are largely channelled into education, healthcare, infrastructure, and innovation – sectors that generate long-term economic returns and sustain repayment capacity.”

According to him, “despite high debt levels, their obligations remain more manageable because they are tied to measurable productivity.”

He said, “Nigeria’s situation, however, is markedly different. A huge proportion of past borrowing has been directed toward consumption, with limited visible or sustainable developmental outcomes to justify the scale of indebtedness.”

“It is also important to note that a huge portion of the debt currently being serviced was accumulated under the Tinubu administration itself, while borrowing has continued at a significant pace. The administration’s recent external borrowing alone includes about $6 billion (from First Abu Dhabi Bank in the UAE—$5 billion, and UK Export Finance via Citibank London—$1 billion), a further $1.25 billion under consideration from the World Bank, and an additional $516 million arranged through Deutsche Bank, bringing the latest known external loan commitments to roughly $7.8 billion. In addition, domestic borrowing through monthly bond issuances continues to add to the overall debt stock,” the businessman also stated.

“Against this backdrop, Nigeria’s 2026 budget shows that health is N2.46 trillion, education is N2.56 trillion, and poverty alleviation is N865 billion, giving a combined total of about N5.885 trillion for these three critical sectors.

“By comparison, debt servicing at about $11.6 billion (approximately N17–N18 trillion, depending on exchange rate assumptions) is almost three times higher than the total allocation to health, education, and social protection combined. This imbalance highlights a troubling fiscal reality in which debt obligations increasingly crowd out investment in human capital and poverty reduction.

“Moreover, even within the limited allocations to these sectors, funds may not be fully released, and a significant portion of what is eventually released could be misappropriated,” he further stated.

Mr Obi said, “The central issue is not borrowing itself, but whether borrowed funds are being converted into measurable productivity, inclusive growth, and improved living standards. Without this, debt servicing shifts from being a temporary fiscal obligation to a long-term structural burden that constrains development and deepens economic vulnerability.”

Continue Reading

Trending