Connect with us

General

It’s Criminal to Travel with Petrol in Jerry Cans—FRSC

Published

on

petrol in jerry cans

By Dipo Olowookere

Motorists have been warned against travelling with gallons of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) tucked inside their vehicles’ booths.

This warning was given on Thursday by the Commander, Ore Unit of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Ondo State, Mr Philip Ozonnandi.

Mr Ozonnandi said carrying petrol in jerry cans was not only “very dangerous” for motorists, but was also a “great offence.”

“We are aware of the fuel situation right now but it is a great offence for motorists to travel with petrol in jerry cans in their vehicles’ booths.

“We are reminding motorists that the dry season is here which makes it very dangerous for motorists to carry fuel in jerry cans while in transit as this may speed up havocs which are not prepared for.

“We also urge motorists to ensure that they have fire extinguishers, C-caution, wheel spanner, jack and spare tyres in case of an emergency,” the road safety top official stated.

In addition, the unit commander said obedience to traffic rules would ensure safety of lives of the drivers and their passengers being expected by their individual families for the celebration of the New Year.

He advised motorists to shun reckless driving, speeding, overloading, dangerous overtaking and the use of expired tyres.

He said that they should also stop answering phone calls while they were on the wheel, deploy non-use safety belts while driving, saying these actions constitute traffic offences.

Mr Ozonnandi said no fewer than 150 of its personnel had been deployed to the Benin-Ore-Sagamu Expressway to monitor movements of vehicles and ensure a free flow of traffic and check excesses of motorists.

Dipo Olowookere is a journalist based in Nigeria that has passion for reporting business news stories. At his leisure time, he watches football and supports 3SC of Ibadan. Mr Olowookere can be reached via [email protected]

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General

Nigerian Bottling Company Bridges Education, Employability Gap

Published

on

Nigerian Bottling Company UNILAG

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The Nigerian Bottling Company (NBC) has reaffirmed its determination to bridge the gap between education and employability in the country by sustaining its flagship Youth Empowered (YE) programme.

This initiative provides hands-on learning, real-world insights, and access to career-shaping opportunities to young Nigerians.

The 2026 edition of the scheme commenced on February 2 at the University of Lagos (UNILAG), with participants mainly young people between the ages of 16 and 35.

A statement from the organisation said this year’s rollout will expand to more tertiary institutions, including the Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA). This follows a successful 2025 tour that reached seven cities across the country, including Makurdi, Jos, Benin, Kaduna, Asaba, Akure, and Port Harcourt.

Participants in the 2026 programme will receive training across key modules designed to support personal, professional, and business growth, including Business Life Skills, Adaptability and Resilience, Financial Literacy, Customer Service and Communication, Sales and Negotiation Skills, and Workplace Ethics.

The sessions will also feature breakout workshops on Business Planning, Project Management, and Time Management, alongside the Director’s Grant Pitch Competition, where participants can pitch their ideas for a chance to win business funding.

In addition to skills development, NBC’s People and Culture team will be present throughout the programme to identify outstanding talent for future opportunities within the organisation, further strengthening the connection between learning, employment, and long-term career growth.

One of the participants at the UNILAG training, Waliat Adedogun, who received a cash grant through the Director’s Grant Pitch Competition to support her small business, said: “Youth Empowered gave me more than training; it gave me clarity and confidence. Winning the grant means I can finally take my business idea from a dream into something real. I now feel prepared to build, grow, and create opportunities not just for myself, but for others too.”

Since its launch in 2017, the scheme has impacted more than 70,000 young Nigerians, equipping participants with practical skills, confidence, and exposure needed to succeed in today’s dynamic workplace and entrepreneurial landscape.

This year’s programme is being delivered in collaboration with Fate Foundation as the implementing partner, with funding support from The Coca-Cola HBC Foundation.

Last year, 10 beneficiaries were selected for six-month paid internships across NBC locations in Lagos, Ibadan, Asejire, and Challawa, gaining direct industry exposure.

Additionally, three outstanding participants received sponsorship for an all-expenses-paid intensive culinary training programme and were awarded N1 million each to support the launch of their businesses.

Continue Reading

General

INEC Fixes February 20 for 2027 Presidential, NASS Elections

Published

on

Incorruptible INEC Chairman

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The 2027 presidential and National Assembly elections will take place on Saturday, February 20, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has revealed.

In a notice for the 2027 general polls issued on Friday, the electoral umpire also disclosed that the governorship and state assembly elections for next year would be on Saturday, March 6.

Speaking at a news briefing in Abuja today, the chairman of INEC, Mr Joash Amupitan, expressed the readiness of the commission to conduct the polls next year, which is 12 months away.

The timetable issued by the organisation for the polls comes when the federal parliament has yet to transmit the amended electoral bill to President Bola Tinubu for assent.

This week, the Senate passed the electoral bill, reducing the notice of elections from 360 days to 180 days, while the transmission of results was mandated with a proviso.

Recall that on February 4, INEC said it was ready to go ahead with preparations for the elections despite the delay in the passage of the amended electoral law of 2022.

Continue Reading

General

NGIC Pipeline Network to Experience 4-Day Gas Supply Shortage

Published

on

NGIC Pipeline Network

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The pipeline network of the NNPC Gas Infrastructure Company Limited (NGIC) will witness a temporary reduction in gas supply for four days.

This information was revealed by the Chief Corporate Communications Officer of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited, Mr Andy Odeh, in a statement on Thursday night.

A key supplier of gas into the NGIC pipeline network is Seplat Energy Plc, a joint venture partner of the state-owned oil agency.

It was disclosed that the facility would undergo routine maintenance from Thursday. February 12 to Sunday, February 15, 2026.

The NNPC stated that, “This planned activity forms part of standard industry safety and asset integrity protocols designed to ensure the continued reliability, efficiency, and safe operation of critical gas infrastructure.”

“Periodic maintenance of this nature is essential to sustain optimal system performance, strengthen operational resilience, and minimise the risk of unplanned outages,” it added.

“During the four-day maintenance period, there will be a temporary reduction in gas supply into the NGIC pipeline network. As a result, some power generation companies reliant on this supply may experience reduced gas availability, which could modestly impact electricity generation levels within the timeframe.

“NNPC Ltd and Seplat Energy are working closely to ensure that the maintenance is executed safely and completed as scheduled. In parallel, NNPC Gas Marketing Limited (NGML) is engaging alternative gas suppliers to mitigate anticipated supply gaps and maintain stability across the network,” the statement further said.

“Upon completion of the maintenance exercise, full gas supply into the NGIC system is expected to resume promptly, enabling affected power generation companies to return to normal operations,” it concluded.

Continue Reading

Trending