By Modupe Gbadeyanka A private company called Geolo Global Company Limited has agreed to build a sugar refinery plant worth about $200 million in Bauchi State. A memorandum of understanding was recently signed between the firm and the Bauchi State government, which allocated 60,000 hectares of land for the cultivation of sugarcane and the establishment of plant. It was gathered that the proposed sugar milling plant and refinery will produce 5,000 metric tons of sugar per day and create 5,000 direct and indirect employment opportunities in Warji local government area of the state. According to a statement issued on Monday by Press Secretary to Governor Mohammed Abubakar of Bauchi State, Mr Abubakar Al-Sadique, about N50 million revenue would be internally generated and 53 megawatts of electricity to be used by the plant and the entire state through the national grid. The Governor explained that the MoU signed was a \u201ctestimony to the administration\u2019s resolve to attract investors to the State in the critical areas of agriculture, tourism and solid minerals, which were identified as areas of comparative advantage\u201d and as a good alternative source of revenue to petroleum. He explained that the state was blessed with arable land that can be used not only through rain-fed agriculture but also in irrigation, saying previous attempts failed. He pointed out that the memorandum of understanding is structured with the local community clearly carried along, saying \u201cBauchi community is progressive and loving but won\u2019t be taken for granted.\u201d While assuring the host community of government\u2019s protection against environmental degradation, Governor Abubakar said the state was represented on the Board of the company, and \u201cwill always prioritize the people at all times.\u201d Managing Director of the Geolo Global Company Limited, Mr Daniel Oluigbo, while explaining that Warji is the ideal place for siting the company because of its large expanse of land and suitable water source, said the company is glad with the warm reception it received from the state. Mr Oluigbo said the company was in the state to cooperate with the people and contribute to building its economy, assuring that as part of its corporate social responsibility programmes, the company will provide the host community with the needed infrastructures in schools, clinics, portable water, and electricity. He explained that only 80 percent of sugar to be produced by the plant would be exported while the remaining 20 percent would be left for the local market. He explained that under the MoU, 200 graduates would be trained to take over the management of plant in the future, saying the state government takes 25 percent of stake in the company.