Connect with us

General

OAGF Says No Public Funds Paid to Ghost Presidential Council

Published

on

Presidential Economic Advisory Council Adeyemi Adeniyi Matthew

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation (OAGF) has revealed that the phantom Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC) does not operate any account with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), adding that no public funds or salaries have been paid to the organisation.

The latest clarification was issued by the director of public relations at the OAGF, Mr Bawa Mokwa, amid controversy over the status of the PFIPC as a Nigerian government entity.

Earlier on June 11, the Chief of Staff to the Nigerian President, Mr Femi Gbajabiamila, said in a disclaimer that the purported activities of the so-called ‘Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC) and Presidential Economic Advisory Council (PEAC)’ were a fictitious entity and that his office had not appointed anyone to lead it.

The Chief of Staff said the PFIPC/PEAC convener, Mr Adeniyi Adeyemi, is an impostor and is facing criminal prosecution.

The Presidency, in an X statement on July 1, said that Mr Adeyemi used forged documents to fraudulently open a CBN account by deceiving the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation.

“The police found that Adeyemi, using the fake documents he created, fraudulently opened a CBN account by misleading the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation. According to the police, no government money has been transferred into the account,” it said.

Meanwhile, on July 2, Mr Adeyemi countered the Chief of Staff’s disclaimer, alleging that Mr Gbajabiamila received N400 million through a proxy to facilitate his appointment.

The OAGF spokesperson explained that the process of opening a CBN account for the PFIPC was never completed because the required documentation to activate the account was not submitted.

“You cannot open an account at the CBN without authorisation from the Accountant-General. The Accountant-General will authorise them to open an account at the CBN,” Mr Mokwa said.

Mr Mokwa stated that the purported PFIPC Director-General, Mr Adeyemi, approached the OAGF and presented an appointment letter, but alleged that the document concerned an already existing agency rather than the PFIPC.

The OAGF press director explained that the account-opening process commenced based on the document presented. Still, the account never became operational because the names of the officials expected to serve as account signatories were not submitted.

He insisted there was no channel through which the Office of the Accountant-General could release government funds to the agency because it did not have an operational account or a CBN-created one.

“The account, till today, has not seen the light of day. It has not seen one kobo because the account is not completely operational.

“That portrays that he has not collected a dime. The AGF has not released a dime to him because they don’t even have a place where the money can be paid,” Mr Mokwa said.

Mr Mokwa explained that before any federal agency can recruit workers and place them on the government payroll, it must first obtain the necessary approvals from the Federal Character Commission (FCC), the Budget Office, and the Federal Civil Service Commission (FCSC).

He added that after the approvals are granted, the names of employees can be submitted to the Office of the Accountant-General for enrolment on the federal payroll and payment of salaries.

“If they give you a waiver for 200 people, you take the waiver to these agencies and then present the papers to the Accountant-General.

“He cannot capture even one name without those approvals because once they are captured, payment will come from the budget,” Mr Mokwa explained.

Mr Mokwa added that none of those requirements had been completed.

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Pingback: OAGF Says No Public Funds Paid to Ghost Presidential Council – PRIMA NEWS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General

Elumelu Rebukes UBA Graduate Trainee for Addressing Him as Tony

Published

on

tony elumelu UBA graduate trainee

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The chairman of United Bank for Africa (UBA), Mr Tony Elumelu, expressed his displeasure over the way he was addressed by one of the company’s graduate trainees at an interactive session in a viral video.

The financial institution organised a Graduate Management Accelerated Programme graduation ceremony on Thursday, and the former banker was in attendance.

During a question-and-answer session, one of the graduating trainees stood and called Mr Elumelu by his first name, Tony.

“Good morning, Tony,” she said.

Mr Elumelu initially thought the lady meant to say Toyin, but she repeated “Good morning, Tony,” a development the UBA chairman was not happy about.

He quickly responded by saying, “No, you won’t call me Tony. You’ll call me Mr Elumelu or TOE. You won’t call me Tony, or Chairman. I don’t subscribe to that kind of… Oyinbo life, okay?”

Though without offering any apology for the error, the female graduate trainee subsequently corrected herself, saying, “Good morning, Mr Elumelu,” before proceeding with her question.

The video clip from the event has already generated mixed reactions, with many happy that the business mogul quickly rebuffed the lady.

They described her as rude, fearing she could lose her job for being disrespectful to the chairman of the organisation.

However, some others said calling colleagues by their first names in a corporate ecosystem is not new, as such happens in the banking sector.

Continue Reading

General

Atiku Vows to Restore Petrol Subsidy if Elected President

Published

on

Atiku Abubakar press conference

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has promised to return the payment of subsidies for premium motor spirit (PMS), otherwise known as petrol, if he is elected President in 2027.

Mr Atiku is seeking to become Nigeria’s President next year. He is contesting for the position under the African Democratic Congress (ADC). The presidential election is slated for January 16, 2027.

Answering questions in a trending interview on social media, the former second citizen of the country said the removal of the fuel subsidy by President Bola Tinubu in 2023 has not done Nigerians any good.

According to him, the economy has been in shambles, noting that the subsidy removal is responsible for high living costs in Nigeria.

On Wednesday, the Minister of Finance, Mr Taiwo Oyedele, disclosed that the nation saved about N15.8 trillion between June 2023 and December 2025 from the policy, noting that over N10 trillion was made available to the 36 state governments and the 774 local government areas from the savings.

But the ADC presidential candidate was not impressed with this explanation, stressing that there is nothing to show for the purported gains of the policy.

“I initially did not oppose the removal of the fuel subsidy. But now that it has been removed, where is the money? Where has the subsidy money gone? Has it been used to improve healthcare, education or security?” he queried.

“If I win the presidential election, I will restore the subsidy. And anyone who stole Nigeria’s subsidy funds must return the money,” he declared.

Continue Reading

General

Nigerian Army Arrests 18 Illegal Miners, Recovers N2.47m in Niger State

Published

on

nigerian army

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nigerian Army has arrested 18 suspected illegal miners at a mining site in Izom, Gurara Local Government Area of Niger State, recovering equipment and N2.47 million in cash from the operation.

The suspects were arrested by troops of the 102 Guard Battalion during a routine operation in the area, where the soldiers reportedly discovered unauthorised mining activities.

Following the arrests, the army handed over the suspects and recovered items to the headquarters of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps Mining Marshals in Sauka, Abuja, in line with established inter-agency procedures.

The operation is part of intensified efforts by security and regulatory agencies to curb illegal mining, which has been linked to revenue losses, environmental degradation and the unlawful exploitation of Nigeria’s mineral resources.

Reacting to the development, the Commander of the NSCDC Mining Marshals, Assistant Commandant of Corps John Onoja Attah, commended the Nigerian Army for what he described as a strong demonstration of professionalism and commitment to protecting the country’s mineral wealth.

“The Nigerian Army has once again distinguished itself through professionalism, discipline and patriotism. The swift arrest of the suspects and their prompt handover to the Mining Marshals reflect a commendable commitment to the rule of law and the protection of Nigeria’s solid mineral resources,” he said.

Preliminary investigations by the Mining Marshals indicated that the suspects allegedly operated without licences, permits or any affiliation with a registered mining company. Investigators also said they could not produce evidence of valid mineral titles or authorisation from the relevant regulatory authorities.

Items recovered from the mining site included motorcycles, pumping machines, crusher engines, communication devices and cash totalling N2,468,750.

Mr Attah said the Mining Marshals would continue to pursue individuals involved in illegal mining and strengthen intelligence-led operations against activities that undermine the formal mining industry and deprive government of legitimate revenue.

He added that the Corps, under its Commandant-General, Mr Ahmed Audi, remained committed to enforcing the provisions of the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act and protecting Nigeria’s mineral resources from unlawful exploitation.

The Mining Marshals said the investigation had been concluded and that the 18 suspects were being processed for prosecution under the relevant provisions of the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act, 2007.

Continue Reading