Connect with us

General

FG Evacuates More Nigerians in South Africa After Fatal Xenophobic Attacks

Published

on

Xenophobic Attacks

By Adedapo Adesanya

The federal government says another batch of Nigerians is expected to leave South Africa on Tuesday amid the renewed wave of xenophobic attacks that has led to the death of two citizens.

Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mrs Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, disclosed this in a statement posted on her official X handle on Monday morning.

“Another evacuation flight will leave for Johannesburg tomorrow, Tuesday, July 7 (2026), to bring home our citizens,” Mrs Odumegwu-Ojukwu wrote.

The evacuation is the latest in the repatriation exercise by Nigerian authorities as they seek the safety of their citizens in South Africa.

Already, three batches of Nigerians have returned home since the evacuation began last month. The minister said the last flight for the evacuation is “expected to arrive in South Africa on 10th July”.

“Our Nationals are again advised to weigh the risks regarding whether to remain or return,” she said.

The Nigerian foreign ​ministry has said on Sunday that two Nigerians were killed in South Africa, one of them by police and ​threatened to take unspecified action if the attacks persisted.

Mrs Odumegwu-Ojukwu asked Nigerians in South Africa “who consider their lives at risk to take advantage of the FG-sponsored evacuation flights to be transported home”.

“Following the earlier evacuations of our citizens in 3 separate operations, President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu GCFR, extended the Evacuations beyond the June 30 deadline, with the fourth evacuation flight having arrived in Nigeria on 3rd July 2026,” the diplomat said. “Our citizens are strongly advised to take advantage of this extension and utilise the full capacity of the aircraft.”

The minister condemned the killing of the two Nigerians in South Africa, calling on authorities to “urgently investigate the incidents and bring those responsible to justice”.

“There are no signs that the situation is improving,” she said.

“Nigeria remains concerned about the safety of its citizens in South Africa as a result of the ongoing xenophobic protests and attacks on migrants, and even more so following the deaths of 2 Nigerians, Musa Yunana Joe and Charles Iroegbu, during these unfortunate events,” the minister said.

“For many still sitting on the fence, they should do well to note that properties and investments lost can be replaced, but not lives lost,” she wrote.

“The Federal Government of Nigeria remains committed to the safety and welfare of its citizens abroad and will put all necessary measures in place to protect them.”

Several African countries have repatriated their citizens from South Africa as fringe groups began demanding all illegal migrants leave by June 30, in a campaign that saw violent protests and clashes in which foreign nationals were killed.

The Border Management Authority says that more than 35,000 people have already been repatriated or deported since June 7.

The groups mobilising against illegal immigrants blame them for high unemployment and lack of services, pressing social problems that analysts say are largely due to government failures.

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General

Elumelu Rebukes UBA Graduate Trainee for Addressing Him as Tony

Published

on

tony elumelu UBA graduate trainee

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The chairman of United Bank for Africa (UBA), Mr Tony Elumelu, expressed his displeasure over the way he was addressed by one of the company’s graduate trainees at an interactive session in a viral video.

The financial institution organised a Graduate Management Accelerated Programme graduation ceremony on Thursday, and the former banker was in attendance.

During a question-and-answer session, one of the graduating trainees stood and called Mr Elumelu by his first name, Tony.

“Good morning, Tony,” she said.

Mr Elumelu initially thought the lady meant to say Toyin, but she repeated “Good morning, Tony,” a development the UBA chairman was not happy about.

He quickly responded by saying, “No, you won’t call me Tony. You’ll call me Mr Elumelu or TOE. You won’t call me Tony, or Chairman. I don’t subscribe to that kind of… Oyinbo life, okay?”

Though without offering any apology for the error, the female graduate trainee subsequently corrected herself, saying, “Good morning, Mr Elumelu,” before proceeding with her question.

The video clip from the event has already generated mixed reactions, with many happy that the business mogul quickly rebuffed the lady.

They described her as rude, fearing she could lose her job for being disrespectful to the chairman of the organisation.

However, some others said calling colleagues by their first names in a corporate ecosystem is not new, as such happens in the banking sector.

Continue Reading

General

Atiku Vows to Restore Petrol Subsidy if Elected President

Published

on

Atiku Abubakar press conference

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has promised to return the payment of subsidies for premium motor spirit (PMS), otherwise known as petrol, if he is elected President in 2027.

Mr Atiku is seeking to become Nigeria’s President next year. He is contesting for the position under the African Democratic Congress (ADC). The presidential election is slated for January 16, 2027.

Answering questions in a trending interview on social media, the former second citizen of the country said the removal of the fuel subsidy by President Bola Tinubu in 2023 has not done Nigerians any good.

According to him, the economy has been in shambles, noting that the subsidy removal is responsible for high living costs in Nigeria.

On Wednesday, the Minister of Finance, Mr Taiwo Oyedele, disclosed that the nation saved about N15.8 trillion between June 2023 and December 2025 from the policy, noting that over N10 trillion was made available to the 36 state governments and the 774 local government areas from the savings.

But the ADC presidential candidate was not impressed with this explanation, stressing that there is nothing to show for the purported gains of the policy.

“I initially did not oppose the removal of the fuel subsidy. But now that it has been removed, where is the money? Where has the subsidy money gone? Has it been used to improve healthcare, education or security?” he queried.

“If I win the presidential election, I will restore the subsidy. And anyone who stole Nigeria’s subsidy funds must return the money,” he declared.

Continue Reading

General

Nigerian Army Arrests 18 Illegal Miners, Recovers N2.47m in Niger State

Published

on

nigerian army

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nigerian Army has arrested 18 suspected illegal miners at a mining site in Izom, Gurara Local Government Area of Niger State, recovering equipment and N2.47 million in cash from the operation.

The suspects were arrested by troops of the 102 Guard Battalion during a routine operation in the area, where the soldiers reportedly discovered unauthorised mining activities.

Following the arrests, the army handed over the suspects and recovered items to the headquarters of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps Mining Marshals in Sauka, Abuja, in line with established inter-agency procedures.

The operation is part of intensified efforts by security and regulatory agencies to curb illegal mining, which has been linked to revenue losses, environmental degradation and the unlawful exploitation of Nigeria’s mineral resources.

Reacting to the development, the Commander of the NSCDC Mining Marshals, Assistant Commandant of Corps John Onoja Attah, commended the Nigerian Army for what he described as a strong demonstration of professionalism and commitment to protecting the country’s mineral wealth.

“The Nigerian Army has once again distinguished itself through professionalism, discipline and patriotism. The swift arrest of the suspects and their prompt handover to the Mining Marshals reflect a commendable commitment to the rule of law and the protection of Nigeria’s solid mineral resources,” he said.

Preliminary investigations by the Mining Marshals indicated that the suspects allegedly operated without licences, permits or any affiliation with a registered mining company. Investigators also said they could not produce evidence of valid mineral titles or authorisation from the relevant regulatory authorities.

Items recovered from the mining site included motorcycles, pumping machines, crusher engines, communication devices and cash totalling N2,468,750.

Mr Attah said the Mining Marshals would continue to pursue individuals involved in illegal mining and strengthen intelligence-led operations against activities that undermine the formal mining industry and deprive government of legitimate revenue.

He added that the Corps, under its Commandant-General, Mr Ahmed Audi, remained committed to enforcing the provisions of the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act and protecting Nigeria’s mineral resources from unlawful exploitation.

The Mining Marshals said the investigation had been concluded and that the 18 suspects were being processed for prosecution under the relevant provisions of the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act, 2007.

Continue Reading