Jobs/Appointments
Access Bank to Sack 75% of Contract Staff
By Adedapo Adesanya
Access Bank Plc may be on course to be the first bank in Nigeria to embark on a massive job cut due to the impact of the coronavirus-induced lockdown.
In a video circulating on the social media, which was probably leaked from what appeared to be a private meeting with employees of the bank, Mr Herbert Wigwe, the Group Managing Director of Access Bank, noted that the bank may be considering a large scale retrenchment.
Mr Wigwe, who spoke via video conferencing in the meeting with the bank’s staff, said those likely to be affected by the mass retrenchment are 75 percent of the bank’s staff, most of whom are outsourced and are offering non-essential services.
“We probably don’t need as many security men as required, even to the fact that we are not gonna have all our branches open between now and December.
“We don’t need all the tea girls. We don’t need all the cleaners. We don’t need all the tellers etc,” Mr Wigwe said in the video making the rounds as at Thursday, April 30, 2020.
“The second has to do with our operational cost. Now that is one that is very tricky and it is tricky because I do understand and appreciate that its gonna, you know, bring its own pain to staff.
“We basically have to make the adjustments the same way you sounded when we spoke 10 days ago with respect to basically cutting down cost.
“I will be the first to take the hit and I’m gonna take the largest pay cut, which would be as much as 40 percent. The rest we would have to cascade right through the institution. Everybody may have to make some adjustments of some sort.” he said.
This has since sparked controversies, with many saying that the job loss will affect the most vulnerable of the bank which is considered one of the Big Five in the country.
Others have criticised the planned retrenchment and see it as an anathema to the bank’s fight at the forefront of the CACOVID coalition, to which Mr Wigwe has donated over N1 billion on behalf of the bank alongside other top players in the Nigerian private sector.
Jobs/Appointments
CNN Hires Arise News Adefemi Akinsanya
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
British-born Nigerian journalist, Ms Adefemi Akinsanya, has been hired by CNN International to host its new multiplatform feature series known as Africa Inc, sponsored by Dangote Industries Limited.
Ms Akinsanya joins CNN from Arise News, where she is an International Correspondent and Anchor based in Lagos. She has previously worked at Al Jazeera, Reuters, Sky News, and TRT World.
Africa Inc will showcase how African companies are competing and thriving on the global stage, from technology and hospitality to manufacturing and entertainment.
The series positions the continent not as an emerging player, but as a growing force shaping global commerce, innovation, and consumer trends.
The half-hour show will premiere in August, with four more episodes throughout 2026 and into 2027.
Bespoke Africa Inc segments will also run bi-monthly across CNN International, with digital and social content across CNN.com.
“I’m thrilled to be joining CNN to launch Africa Inc at such an exciting time for Africa’s international story. Across the continent, we’re seeing innovation, resilience, and ambition transforming industries and creating opportunities with global impact. I’m looking forward to bringing these stories to CNN’s audience,” Ms Akinsanya commented.
Also commenting, CNN International Group Senior Vice President and Global Head of Productions, Ellana Lee, said, “We are delighted to welcome Adefemi to CNN. As Africa continues to play an increasingly influential role in the global economy, Adefemi’s impactful storytelling will ensure that Africa Inc provides insightful coverage across CNN’s TV, digital, and social platforms.”
Ms Akinsanya is a 2023 Fellow at the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard University and holds a BA in International Politics from King’s College London.
She has reported from the frontline of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, covering the refugee crisis and the role of race in the early war evacuation effort. She has also reported on the #EndSARS anti-police brutality protests in Nigeria, the 2024 US Presidential election, and from the World Economic Forum in Davos and the 2026 G7 Summit in Évian-les-Bains.
Jobs/Appointments
Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan Nigeria’s Head of Service as Walson-Jack Retires
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
Mr Abel Olumuyiwa Enitan has been appointed by President Bola Tinubu as the new Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, effective August 27, 2026.
A statement issued by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Mr Bayo Onanuga, on Wednesday disclosed that Mr Enitan replaces Mrs Didi Esther Walson-Jack, who will retire soon from the Federal Civil Service upon attaining the statutory retirement age of 60.
Mr Tinubu thanked Mrs Walson-Jack for her distinguished service to the nation and for the reforms, impact and innovations witnessed in the civil service during her tenure.
He also wished her a fulfilling and successful life after service and conveyed the nation’s gratitude for her years of dedicated and impactful public service.
As for Mr Enitan, the President charged him to consolidate on the reforms and innovations already underway, deepen professionalism and efficiency across the service, and build a more effective and responsive civil service.
He further urged him to lead a civil service that is professional, merit-driven, accountable, innovative, and responsive to Nigerians’ needs and aspirations.
Mr Enitan, from Osun State, is the most senior Permanent Secretary in the Federal Civil Service. He has served as Permanent Secretary for seven years and seven months, working at the Ministry of Police Affairs, the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, and the Office of the Vice President. He is currently the Permanent Secretary in the Federal Ministry of Education.
He brings considerable institutional experience and a deep understanding of how the Federal Civil Service works to his new responsibility.
Mr Enitan was born on December 12, 1966. He had his secondary education at Ajibode Grammar School, Ibadan and the College of Arts and Science, Ile-Ife. He later attended the University of Lagos and graduated in 1988 with a BSc in Finance and Banking. In 2015, he obtained an MSc in Public Policy Analysis from Nasarawa State University, Keffi.
Jobs/Appointments
FTN Cocoa Picks Wale Jubril as Interim Chairman
By Aduragbemi Omiyale
The board of FTN Cocoa Processors Plc has appointed Mr Wale Jubril as its interim chairman following the death of the former occupier of the position, Mr S.O. Oguntimehin, in March 2026.
The appointment of Mr Jubril was decided at the company’s board meeting held in July 2026, a statement from the organisation disclosed.
He will pilot the affairs of the organisation pending the appointment of a substantive chairman, a part of the notice submitted to the Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited stated.
The interim chairman of FTN Cocoa is a seasoned banker, chartered stockbroker and corporate executive with over three decades of professional experience spanning banking, capital markets, finance and corporate governance.
The Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State-born financial expert holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Relations from the University of Lagos, obtained in 1988, and three Master’s Degrees from the same institution in Marketing (1993), International Law and Diplomacy (1998), and Economics (1999).
He qualified as an Authorised Dealing Clerk of the Nigerian Stock Exchange in 1992 and became a chartered stockbroker in the same year. He subsequently built a career in banking and the capital market before joining Paints and Coatings Manufacturers Nigeria Plc in 2009 as Executive Director, Finance. In that capacity, he provided leadership in financial planning, project appraisal, pricing and negotiations, particularly in relation to major oil and gas projects and engagements involving Chevron, NLNG, Total and other industry participants.
Mr Jubril also contributed to the development of the company’s financial sustainability through strategic planning, policy development, departmental restructuring and financial management, and served on the company’s Planning and Policy-Making Committee of the Board.
In 2021, he joined Float Securities Limited, where he currently serves as the chief executive. He has also served as a non-executive director of FTN Cocoa since 2015.
In recognition of his extensive experience in the private and public sectors, he was appointed an independent non-executive director of Gateway Mortgage Bank, a mortgage bank wholly owned by the Ogun State Government, in November 2022.


