Connect with us

General

Buhari Postpones London Medical Trip for Undisclosed Reason

Published

on

buhari-london6

By Dipo Olowookere

President has cancelled his trip to London earlier scheduled for Friday, June 25, 2021, for an undisclosed reason.

On Thursday, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina, had issued a short statement to say that Mr Buhari would travel to the United Kingdom for medicals.

He was expected to spend about two weeks on the trip.

“President Muhammadu Buhari will proceed to London, the United Kingdom on Friday, June 25, 2021, for a scheduled medical follow-up.

“He is due back in the country during the second week of July 2021,” Mr Adesina had said yesterday.

But today, the President’s spokesman released another short statement to announced the postponement of the medical follow-up trip to London.

However, he did not give any reason for cancelling today’s trip but said a new date would be announced.

“The medical follow-up visit of President Muhammadu Buhari to the United Kingdom earlier scheduled for today, Friday, June 25, 2021, has been postponed.

“A new date will be announced in due course,” Mr Adesina said.

The last two times Mr Buhari travelled out of the country; he was met with protests from Nigerians living abroad.

When he travelled to the UK, some Nigerians, including Mr Reno Omokri, a former media aide to former President Goodluck Jonathan, staged a protest outside his residence in London, asking him to return to Nigeria to fix the various issues bedevilling the nation.

A similar incident happened when he travelled to Paris, France for a summit in the European country.

Dipo Olowookere is a journalist based in Nigeria that has passion for reporting business news stories. At his leisure time, he watches football and supports 3SC of Ibadan. Mr Olowookere can be reached via [email protected]

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General

FG Sues El-Rufai Over Alleged Interception of NSA Ribadu’s Communications

Published

on

el-rufai arise tv

By Adedapo Adesanya

The federal government has filed a three-count charge against former governor of Kaduna State, Mr Nasir El-Rufai, over an alleged interception of communications belonging to Nigeria’s National Security Adviser (NSA), Mr Nuhu Ribadu.

Last week, Mr El-Rufai claimed in an interview that he and other unnamed individuals listened to conversations from Mr Ribadu’s phone after it was tapped by a third party. While acknowledging that such interception is technically unlawful, he argued that illegal surveillance was not unusual.

However, the federal government, through the Department of State Services (DSS), filed charges against Mr El-Rufai at the Federal High Court in Abuja.

The government stated that Mr El-Rufai admitted that he and his cohorts allegedly intercepted the NSA’s phone conversations.

In count one, the accused was alleged to have disclosed on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja that he and his associates unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, which is an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

The second charge alleged that the accused knowingly maintained a relationship with an individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of Mr Ribadu, without reporting such individual to the appropriate security agencies, an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In the last charge, Mr El Rufai, together with others presently at large, is also alleged to have, sometime in 2026 in Abuja within the jurisdiction of this Court, utilised technical equipment or systems in a manner that compromised public safety and national security, thereby instilling reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians through the unlawful interception of the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu. The charge further relies on his admission during the February 13 interview. These acts are alleged to constitute an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act 2003.

Continue Reading

General

Nigerian Bottling Company Bridges Education, Employability Gap

Published

on

Nigerian Bottling Company UNILAG

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The Nigerian Bottling Company (NBC) has reaffirmed its determination to bridge the gap between education and employability in the country by sustaining its flagship Youth Empowered (YE) programme.

This initiative provides hands-on learning, real-world insights, and access to career-shaping opportunities to young Nigerians.

The 2026 edition of the scheme commenced on February 2 at the University of Lagos (UNILAG), with participants mainly young people between the ages of 16 and 35.

A statement from the organisation said this year’s rollout will expand to more tertiary institutions, including the Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA). This follows a successful 2025 tour that reached seven cities across the country, including Makurdi, Jos, Benin, Kaduna, Asaba, Akure, and Port Harcourt.

Participants in the 2026 programme will receive training across key modules designed to support personal, professional, and business growth, including Business Life Skills, Adaptability and Resilience, Financial Literacy, Customer Service and Communication, Sales and Negotiation Skills, and Workplace Ethics.

The sessions will also feature breakout workshops on Business Planning, Project Management, and Time Management, alongside the Director’s Grant Pitch Competition, where participants can pitch their ideas for a chance to win business funding.

In addition to skills development, NBC’s People and Culture team will be present throughout the programme to identify outstanding talent for future opportunities within the organisation, further strengthening the connection between learning, employment, and long-term career growth.

One of the participants at the UNILAG training, Waliat Adedogun, who received a cash grant through the Director’s Grant Pitch Competition to support her small business, said: “Youth Empowered gave me more than training; it gave me clarity and confidence. Winning the grant means I can finally take my business idea from a dream into something real. I now feel prepared to build, grow, and create opportunities not just for myself, but for others too.”

Since its launch in 2017, the scheme has impacted more than 70,000 young Nigerians, equipping participants with practical skills, confidence, and exposure needed to succeed in today’s dynamic workplace and entrepreneurial landscape.

This year’s programme is being delivered in collaboration with Fate Foundation as the implementing partner, with funding support from The Coca-Cola HBC Foundation.

Last year, 10 beneficiaries were selected for six-month paid internships across NBC locations in Lagos, Ibadan, Asejire, and Challawa, gaining direct industry exposure.

Additionally, three outstanding participants received sponsorship for an all-expenses-paid intensive culinary training programme and were awarded N1 million each to support the launch of their businesses.

Continue Reading

General

INEC Fixes February 20 for 2027 Presidential, NASS Elections

Published

on

Incorruptible INEC Chairman

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The 2027 presidential and National Assembly elections will take place on Saturday, February 20, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has revealed.

In a notice for the 2027 general polls issued on Friday, the electoral umpire also disclosed that the governorship and state assembly elections for next year would be on Saturday, March 6.

Speaking at a news briefing in Abuja today, the chairman of INEC, Mr Joash Amupitan, expressed the readiness of the commission to conduct the polls next year, which is 12 months away.

The timetable issued by the organisation for the polls comes when the federal parliament has yet to transmit the amended electoral bill to President Bola Tinubu for assent.

This week, the Senate passed the electoral bill, reducing the notice of elections from 360 days to 180 days, while the transmission of results was mandated with a proviso.

Recall that on February 4, INEC said it was ready to go ahead with preparations for the elections despite the delay in the passage of the amended electoral law of 2022.

Continue Reading

Trending