Connect with us

Technology

Ambode Unveils ‘Code Lagos’ Computer Programming Policy

Published

on

code-lagos

By Dipo Olowookere

As parts of the efforts to meet the 21st century technology requirement for development in Lagos, Governor Akinwunmi Ambode, on Friday unveiled the ‘Code Lagos’ computer programming initiative.

Speaking at the event, the Deputy Governor, Dr Idiat Oluranti Adebule, who represented the Governor, stated that the primary aim of the initiative “is to meet the growing demand for technical skills” so as to develop a workforce that would speak a universal digital language and provide solutions to myriad of socio-economic problems confronting the society.”

The Governor said that, with the new concept, Lagos State “has joined the league of technology-compliant nations” that had recognized the importance of harnessing the power of technology for the success of their nations and nation-states.

He also said that, as the “21st century world is becoming increasingly reliant on technology,” forward looking governments and policy makers, social impact organizations, and profit-driven institutions “are taking proactive stance by investing in technology education” for a better workforce.

The Governor stated that to enable students learn the new skills, the State Government would commit funds to set up over 1,000 coding centres across the state and introduce coding computer programming in public schools’ curriculum from January 2017.

While highlighting the benefits of ‘Code Lagos’, Governor Ambode said that one million students in Lagos State would have access to the coding system by the year 2019, to prepare them for opportunities that would arise, as the state’s technology capacity increased.

While appealing to Lagosians to embrace the new initiative, Mr Ambode said when fully operational, it would, in the short term, enable students in the state to harness, create and leverage on local and global opportunities of the 21st century, while in the long term, it would increase employment and business opportunities in the technology space, and thus enhance the State’s global competitiveness.

Earlier in his welcome address, Special Adviser to Governor on Education, Mr Obafela Bank Olemoh, stated that the new initiative “is aimed at using technology to drive the economy and infrastructure development of the state, as it is envisioned to make Lagos the technology frontier in Africa.”

In his remarks, Commissioner for Overseas Affairs & Investment, Professor Ademola Abass charged private investors to key into the new initiatives, as the state would continue to create the enabling environment conducive for investment.

Dipo Olowookere is a journalist based in Nigeria that has passion for reporting business news stories. At his leisure time, he watches football and supports 3SC of Ibadan. Mr Olowookere can be reached via [email protected]

Technology

FG to Scrutinise MTN’s $2.2bn Full Take Over of IHS Towers

Published

on

IHS Towers

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Minister of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, Mr Bosun Tijani, says the Nigerian government is assessing MTN Group’s acquisition of IHS Towers to ensure the deal aligns with Nigeria’s telecommunications development goals.

On Tuesday, MTN Group said it has agreed to acquire the remaining 75.3 per cent stake in IHS Holding Limited in an all-cash deal valued at $2.2 billion. The deal will be funded through the rollover of MTN’s existing stake of around 24 per cent in IHS, as well as about $1.1 billion in cash from MTN, roughly $1.1 billion from IHS’s balance sheet, and the rollover of no more than existing IHS debt.

Mr Tijani, in a statement, said the administration of President Bola Tinubu has spent the past two years strengthening the telecom sector through policy clarity, regulatory support, and engagement with industry stakeholders, boosting investor confidence and sector performance.

“Recent financial results from key operators show improved profitability, increased investment in telecoms infrastructure, and operational stability across the sector,” he said.

“These gains reflect the resilience of the industry and the impact of government reforms.”

The minister added that telecommunications infrastructure is critical for national security, economic growth, financial services, innovation, and social inclusion.

“We will undertake a thorough assessment of this development with relevant regulatory authorities to review its impact on the sector,” Mr Tijani said.

He added that the review aims to ensure market consolidation or structural changes, protect consumers, safeguard investments, and preserve the long-term sustainability of the telecom industry.

Mr Tijani also said the government remains committed to maintaining a stable and forward-looking policy environment to keep Nigeria’s telecommunications sector strong and sustainable, in line with the administration’s broader digital economy vision.

Upon completion, the transaction will see MTN transition from being a minority shareholder in IHS to a full owner. It will also see IHS exit from the New York Stock Exchange and become a wholly owned subsidiary of MTN.

For MTN, the deal represents a decisive shift as data demand surges and digital infrastructure becomes increasingly strategic with a booming digitally-oriented youth population on the continent.

Continue Reading

Technology

Leticia Otomewo Becomes Secure Electronic Technology’s Acting Secretary

Published

on

Secure Electronic Technology

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

One of the players in the Nigerian gaming industry, Secure Electronic Technology (SET) Plc, has appointed Ms Leticia Otomewo as its acting secretary.

This followed the expiration of the company’s service contract with the former occupier of the seat, Ms Irene Attoe, on January 31, 2026.

A statement to the Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited on Thursday said Ms Otomewo would remain the organisation’s scribe in an acting capacity, pending the ratification and appointment of a substantive company secretary at the next board meeting.

She was described in the notice signed by the Managing Director of the firm, Mr Oyeyemi Olusoji, as “a results-driven executive with 22 years of experience in driving business growth, leading high-performing teams, and delivering innovative solutions.”

The acting secretary is also said to be “a collaborative leader with a passion for mentoring and developing talent.”

“The company assures the investing public that all Company Secretariat responsibilities and regulatory obligations will continue to be discharged in full compliance with the Companies and Allied Matters Act, applicable regulations, and the Nigerian Exchange Limited Listing Rules,” the disclosure assured.

Meanwhile, the board thanked Ms Attoe “for professionalism and contributions to the Company during the period of her engagement and wishes her well in her future endeavours.”

Continue Reading

Technology

Russia Blocks WhatsApp Messaging Service

Published

on

WhatsApp Self Messaging Feature

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Russian government on Thursday confirmed it has blocked the WhatsApp messaging service, as it moves to further control information flow in the country.

It urged Russians to use a new state-backed platform called Max instead of the Meta-owned service.

WhatsApp issued a statement earlier saying Russia had attempted to “fully block” its messaging service in the country to force people toward Max, which it described as a “surveillance app.”

“Today the Russian government attempted to fully block WhatsApp in an effort to drive people to a state-owned surveillance app,” WhatsApp posted on social media platform X.

“Trying to isolate over 100 million users from private and secure communication is a backwards step and can only lead to less safety for people in Russia,” it said, adding: “We continue to do everything we can to keep users connected.”

Russia’s latest move against social media platforms and messaging services like WhatsApp, Signal and Telegram comes amid a wider attempt to drive users toward domestic and more easily controlled and monitored services, such as Max.

Russia’s telecoms watchdog, Roskomnadzor, has accused messaging apps Telegram and WhatsApp of failing to comply with Russian legislation requiring companies to store Russian users’ data inside the country, and of failing to introduce measures to stop their platforms from being used for allegedly criminal or terrorist purposes.

It has used this as a basis for slowing down or blocking their operations, with restrictions coming into force since last year.

For Telegram, it may be next, but so far the Russian government has been admittedly slowing down its operations “due to the fact that the company isn’t complying with the requirements of Russian legislation.”

The chat service, founded by Russian developers but headquartered in Dubai, has been a principal target for Roskomnadzor’s scrutiny and increasing restrictions, with users reporting sluggish performance on the app since January.

Continue Reading

Trending