Banking
Access Bank Carpets ICPC Over Arraignment Story
By Dipo Olowookere
The management of Access Bank Plc has rubbished reports in some sections of the media that the bank and its official were recently charged to court by the Independent Corruption Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).
The lender and its officials were reported to have been dragged to court over their alleged refusal to lift a Post-No-Debit (PND) order on the accounts belonging to Blaid Properties Limited and Blaid Construction Limited.
Reacting to the issue via a statement, Access Bank said the report, which it claimed contained misleading information, was mainly “calculated to embarrass the bank, its executives and stakeholders.”
The financial institution said it was not aware of “any criminal charge filed against it or any of its officers” neither has any of its officers been served with any criminal summons.
“The publications were calculated to harass and intimidate the bank and its officers for no just cause,” the statement noted.
It said, “As a responsible financial institution which conducts its business transparently within the confines of the law, we consider it imperative to state the following facts relating to the matter.
“Contrary to the publication, neither the bank nor any of its officers mentioned in the publication were arraigned by the ICPC as reported.”
Access Bank explained that, “The ICPC had on the January 18, 2017 instructed the bank not to allow any withdrawal from the Accounts which it was investigating at the time. The bank complied with the instruction by restricting the accounts.
“By another letter dated November 6, 2017, the ICPC instructed the bank to lift the PND on the accounts. In compliance with this second directive, the bank took steps to engage the customers to re-activate the accounts which had since gone dormant due to the restrictions earlier placed on them.
“However, by another letter dated November 9, 2017, the Special Presidential Investigation Panel on Recovery of Public Property directed the bank to place PND on the accounts. The Presidential Panel by its letter of November 14, 2017 subsequently, reiterated its earlier directive amongst others and invited officers of the bank to an interview with its instruction on the accounts.
“Again, by a letter dated November 28, 2017, the ICPC ordered the bank to lift the PND on the accounts stating that the order supersedes any order or orders placing PND on the accounts.
“The bank by its letter dated November 29, 2017 notified the ICPC that the PND was at the instance and request of the Presidential Panel and that there was a pending suit and application filed by the Federal Government of Nigeria, Attorney General of Federation and the Presidential Panel seeking to restrain the bank from releasing any funds from the accounts.
“The bank also notified the ICPC of court to transfer the funds in the accounts to the Registrar of the Federal High Court pending the determination of the suit filed by the Federal Government of Nigeria.
“The bank subsequently received an invitation from the ICPC addressed to its branches and not the Group Managing Director or any of the officers mentioned in the media publications. The bank honoured the invitation and there again reiterated the foregoing facts.
“Notwithstanding the clear facts presented by the bank, the ICPC demanded that the bank provide evidence that the PND had been lifted by Thursday December 7, 2017 failing which its officers would be detained.
“Being a responsible organisation, officers of the bank returned to the ICPC with an advice from the bank’s Solicitors again stating why the bank cannot lift the PND in disregard of the directive of Presidential Panel and the case in court in which the Federal Government and the Attorney General of the Federation in suit No FHC/ABJ/CS1114/2017 were seeking to restrain the bank from releasing funds in the accounts.
“Given what had transpired we were therefore rudely shocked to read the newspaper publications given fact that the bank and its officers have not done anything to warrant being charged for any offence.”
Access Bank said it was “at a loss as to how a government agency setup to fight graft would attempt to criminalize the bank and its officers for complying with the directive of the Presidential Panel to place PND on the accounts which are subject of pending suits.”
“We have stated the above facts to clear any misgivings or mischief calculated to embarrass or intimidate the bank. As a responsible corporate citizen, we remain committed to the ideals of good corporate governance, due process and rule of law,” the lender assured.
Banking
Entries for Wema Bank One-Day MD/CEO Children’s Day Initiative Close Wednesday
By Aduragbemi Omiyale
Children and teens interested in participating in becoming the chief executive of Wema Bank for one day have till Wednesday, May 20, 2026, to submit their entries.
The One-Day MD/CEO initiative was introduced by Wema Bank in 2025 to commemorate Children’s Day in a uniquely unprecedented manner.
The winner of the maiden edition was a 12-year-old Chiderije Mbah, inspiring children across the country to put in the work towards a successful future.
Inspired by the bank’s 80th anniversary theme, 80 Years of Impact, A Future of Possibilities, the Wema Bank One-Day MD/CEO initiative served as a bridge between past and future, giving children across Nigeria the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to become the MD/CEO of Wema Bank for one day—Children’s Day.
For the 2026 Children’s Day celebration, Wema Bank will give another child or teenager [ages 0-16] a chance to step into the shoes of the chief executive of the bank, Mr Moruf Oseni, for a day.
The child will get to oversee board meetings, make tactical decisions, and experience firsthand the demands and responsibilities that come with the office of MD/CEO, especially for an institution like Wema Bank, Nigeria’s oldest indigenous national bank, most innovative and pioneer of Africa’s first fully digital bank, ALAT.
To participate, children/teens are expected to record a 60-second video detailing what their ideal role in banking would be and what they hope to achieve. This video is to be posted on any social media platform using #EvolutionOfPossibilities and tagging @wemabank on the post. The post with the highest number of likes emerges as the winner, and the winner gets to become MD/CEO of Wema Bank on Monday, May 25, 2026, in celebration of Children’s Day, with parents and teens encouraged to hurry and make their submissions before the deadline.
Banking
First Bank Introduces Naira Visa Debit Card to Ease Everyday Payments
By Adedapo Adesanya
Nigerian tier-1 lender, First Bank, has announced the introduction of its Naira Visa Debit Card in partnership with the global payments giant to extend accessible, reliable electronic payment capabilities to a broader segment of the Nigerian population.
The card is targeted at everyday consumers who require a dependable payment instrument for routine domestic and international transactions. Accepted across POS terminals, ATMs, and online platforms through Visa’s payments network, the Naira Visa Debit Card is designed to reduce friction for customers transitioning from cash to electronic payments across retail, utilities, and digital commerce.
According to the bank, the partnership aligns with Nigeria’s ongoing drive toward a cashless economy, a policy direction that has gained significant momentum following successive Central Bank of Nigeria directives encouraging the adoption of electronic payment channels, adding that the card is intended to serve customers across the country’s diverse economic segments.
The Naira Visa Debit Card is available to all eligible FirstBank account holders through any of the bank’s branches nationwide.
Speaking on the launch, Mr Chuma Ezirim, Group Executive, eBusiness & Retail Products, FirstBank, said: “Everyday transactions should be simple, secure, and rewarding. The Naira Visa Debit Card is designed to make life easier for our customers, whether they are paying for groceries, settling utility bills, or shopping online.
“By extending reliable electronic payment access across Nigeria, we are helping more people transition confidently from cash to digital payments, supporting the nation’s cashless policy and empowering communities with greater financial inclusion.”
Commenting on the strategic importance of the partnership, Mr Andrew Uaboi, Vice President and Cluster Head, West Africa, Visa, noted: “A strong payments ecosystem works for everyone. The Naira Visa Debit Card extends reliable electronic payment access to everyday Nigerian consumers, and this in addition to the cards in our portfolio, continues to demonstrate what a truly comprehensive card portfolio looks like for the Nigerian market. Visa is proud to power this offering with FirstBank.”
The launch of the Naira Visa Debit Card broadens Visa’s card portfolio at FirstBank, which already includes products spanning credit cards and High-end premium lifestyle spending cards. The addition completes its offering across customer segments, ensuring that cardholders at every income level have access to a product suited to their needs.
Banking
CBN Unveils New Revised Manual to Modernise FX Market
By Adedapo Adesanya
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has unveiled the fourth edition of its Foreign Exchange Manual as part of efforts to deepen liquidity, improve transparency and strengthen confidence in the country’s foreign exchange market.
Speaking at the launch of the revised manual in Abuja on Friday, the Governor of the apex bank, Mr Yemi Cardoso, said the document will take effect from June 1, 2026.
He said it was developed after extensive consultations with banks, exporters, importers, corporates, regulators and development partners.
He said the new framework reflects the apex bank’s commitment to modernising the country’s foreign exchange administration in line with international best practices.
Mr Cardoso described the foreign exchange market as a critical pillar of any open economy, noting that effective governance of the sector is essential for sustaining macroeconomic stability and investor confidence.
“Foreign exchange is more than a financial instrument. It anchors price stability, facilitates the flow of goods and capital, and shapes investor sentiment,” he said.
The CBN governor stressed that the revised manual became necessary due to changing global economic realities, domestic reforms and the need for a more coherent and forward-looking regulatory framework.
According to him, the last edition of the FX manual was issued in 2018, making the latest review both timely and necessary.
Mr Cardoso disclosed that Nigeria’s foreign exchange market has witnessed significant improvement in liquidity since the current administration began reforms in the sector.
He added that daily turnover in the FX market increased from an average of about $100 million in the early days of the administration to between $400 million and $600 million daily.
The CBN Governor added that the market had also recorded transactions of up to $1 billion per day on several occasions in recent months.
“We have gone from a situation where it was more or less a one-way market, where the central bank came in, intervened and went away, to a much more dynamic market,” he stated.
The apex bank boss noted that the reforms were gradually restoring confidence among investors and market participants, encouraging freer entry and exit in the market without unnecessary restrictions.
He also maintained that the nation’s foreign reserves should not be used as the primary tool for funding the foreign exchange market.
“Reserves are reserves. They are not what you look to fund a market,” he said.
The CBN Governor assured stakeholders that the revised manual would be distributed free of charge to authorised dealers while the bank strengthens monitoring mechanisms to ensure compliance, fairness and accountability across the foreign exchange market.
On his part, the Deputy Governor for Economic Policy, Mr Muhammad Abdullahi, said the review formed part of broader reforms initiated by Mr Cardoso to restore confidence, improve transparency and deepen liquidity in the foreign exchange market.
Mr Abdullahi explained that the revised manual introduces several changes aimed at improving ease of doing business and reducing transaction bottlenecks.
Among the notable changes, he noted, are provisions allowing unfettered access to export proceeds, the introduction of non-resident investment accounts and operational guidelines for Pan-African Payment and Settlement System (PAPSS) transactions to support regional trade.
Mr Abdullahi added that the manual also contains new provisions on service exports, revised documentation requirements and updated operational procedures designed to align Nigeria’s FX market with global standards.
He said the apex bank deliberately adopted an ease of doing business approach during the review process to eliminate inefficiencies and ambiguities identified by stakeholders.
“The revised manual is not a stand-alone exercise but part of a broader institutional reform effort designed to strengthen the integrity, credibility and effectiveness of Nigeria’s foreign exchange system,” he said.
-
Feature/OPED6 years agoDavos was Different this year
-
Travel/Tourism10 years ago
Lagos Seals Western Lodge Hotel In Ikorodu
-
Showbiz3 years agoEstranged Lover Releases Videos of Empress Njamah Bathing
-
Banking8 years agoSort Codes of GTBank Branches in Nigeria
-
Economy3 years agoSubsidy Removal: CNG at N130 Per Litre Cheaper Than Petrol—IPMAN
-
Banking3 years agoSort Codes of UBA Branches in Nigeria
-
Banking3 years agoFirst Bank Announces Planned Downtime
-
Sports3 years agoHighest Paid Nigerian Footballer – How Much Do Nigerian Footballers Earn
