Connect with us

Economy

Atiku’s Economic Blueprint Poor Version of Buhari’s Model—FG

Published

on

Atiku's Economic Blueprint

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The federal government has described the economic blueprint of the candidate of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the 2023 presidential election, Mr Atiku Abubakar, as a “poor version” of the model of President Muhammadu Buhari.

Last week, Mr Atiku, a former Vice President of Nigeria, was in Lagos at an event to explain how he intends to handle the country’s economy if elected as President next year.

The event was organised by the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) to provide a platform for candidates of the three major political parties in the race to explain their plans for the economy.

The former VP was the first to use the platform, followed by the former Governor of Anambra State and candidate of the Labour Party, Mr Peter Obi.

The candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and former Governor of Lagos State, Mr Bola Tinubu, is the next to honour the invitation extended to him to reel out his economic plans.

While addressing a news conference in Abuja on Thursday, the Minister of Information and Culture, Mr Lai Mohammed, said the current administration is implementing the content of Mr Atiku’s economic blueprint.

“Let me say, straight away, that the so-called blueprint is a crude attempt at copying all that the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari has done, especially in the areas of job creation, infrastructure financing, relationship with the private sector, rejuvenation of the power sector, poverty reduction, debt management and the overall management of the economy,” Mr Mohammed told reporters today.

“It is more shocking that an opposition that has condemned all that this administration has done would turn around to weave its so-called Economic Blueprint around the same things that are currently being done by the same administration,” he said.

According to the Minister, the plan by the former Vice President to rebuild infrastructure and reduce infrastructure deficit to boost the economy and wealth creation is what Mr Buhari has been doing since he was elected in 2015.

“Even our worst critics will agree that our record on infrastructure development is next to none in the history of this country. Across the country, we have constructed 8,352.94 kilometres of roads, rehabilitated 7,936.05 kilometres of roads, constructed 299 bridges, maintained 312 bridges and created 302,039 jobs in the process,” the Minister said.

According to him, before 2015, the road budget was N18.132 billion but increased to N260.082 billion in 2016; N274.252 billion in 2017, N356.773 billion in 2018, N223.255 billion in 2019, N227.963 billion in 2020 and N241.864 billion in 2021.

He further said the administration of Mr Buhari has given room for investors to thrive, giving rise to “an unprecedented number of projects, including the 650,000bpd Dangote Refinery, Dangote Fertilizer plant, Lekki Deep Sea Port, BUA Cement, the 5,000bpd Waltersmith Modular Refinery in Imo State; the 2,500bpd Duport Modular Refinery/Energy Park in Edo State; the 2,000bpd Atlantic Modular Refinery in Bayelsa State; the 12,000bpd Azikel Modular Refinery also in Bayelsa; and more.

He said in the area of power, the federal government under the Presidential Power Initiative, partnered with Siemens to deliver 7,000MW in the first phase, 11,000MW in the second phase and 25,000MW in the third phase.

“This will positively impact job creation, boost investor confidence, accelerate economic growth and reduce the cost of doing business. For those who may be in doubt, let me say that this project is a game changer. As you may have read, electricity equipment ordered under the project has started arriving in the country. When they are installed, there will be a major improvement in the supply of electricity across the country,” Mr Mohammed said.

Modupe Gbadeyanka is a fast-rising journalist with Business Post Nigeria. Her passion for journalism is amazing. She is willing to learn more with a view to becoming one of the best pen-pushers in Nigeria. Her role models are the duo of CNN's Richard Quest and Christiane Amanpour.

2 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Economy

Nigerian Bourse Gains N917bn Amid Weak Investor Sentiment

Published

on

nigerian bourse

By Dipo Olowookere

The Nigerian bourse rebounded by 0.57 per cent on Tuesday despite weak investor sentiment triggered by a negative market breadth index after finishing with 26 price gainers and 31 price losers.

Customs Street was saved from a further decline due to buying interest in some mid and large-cap equities, which offset profit-taking in others.

It was observed that the insurance sector bled by 1.64 per cent and the consumer goods index depreciated by 0.93 per cent. However, the industrial goods space appreciated by 2.27 per cent, the banking counter improved by 0.98 per cent, and the energy industry rose by 0.11 per cent.

Consequently, the All-Share Index (ASI) gained 1,430.59 points to settle at 251,635.42 points compared with the previous day’s 250,204.83 points, and the market capitalisation chalked up N917 billion to close at N161.280 trillion versus the N160.363 trillion it ended a day earlier.

FTN Cocoa led the advancers’ chart after rising by 10.00 per cent to trade at N9.79, Zichis increased by 9.97 per cent to N29.13, SAHCO jumped by 9.79 per cent to N156.95, Caverton flew by 9.76 per cent to N6.75, and Japaul grew by 9.73 per cent to N3.72.

Conversely, Unilever Nigeria depreciated by 10.00 per cent to N153.00, Trans-Nationwide Express crashed by 9.92 per cent to N6.99, Sovereign Trust Insurance fell by 9.81 per cent to N2.39, McNichols slumped by 9.26 per cent to N7.25, and Austin Laz declined by 7.28 per cent to N4.20.

The busiest stock on the floor of the Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited yesterday was Access Holdings with 88.4 million units sold for N2.3 billion. Linkage Assurance transacted 46.2 million units valued at N83.5 million, Sterling Holdings traded 44.9 million units worth N349.3 million, Secure Electronic Technology exchanged 35.0 million units valued at N31.6 million, and Zenith Bank sold 30.4 million units for N4.0 billion.

At the close of trades, a total of 704.0 million units worth N32.2 billion were executed in 64,539 deals versus the 800.5 million units valued at N37.1 billion traded in 87,096 deals on Monday, implying a decline in the trading volume, value, and number of deals by 12.06 per cent, 13.21 per cent, and 25.90 per cent, respectively.

Continue Reading

Economy

Oil Market Dips Amid Uncertainty Over US Military Action

Published

on

Crude Oil Prices

By Adedapo Adesanya

The oil market edged lower on Tuesday but remained well above $100 per barrel, as investors weighed mixed signals from President Donald Trump on the resumption of military strikes against Iran.

Brent crude futures lost 0.73 per cent to trade at $111.28 per barrel, and the US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) fell 0.82 per cent to sell for $107.77 per barrel.

President Trump told reporters Tuesday that the US. might have to give Iran “another big hit” after he had previously posted that his administration would ‘hold off’ on a planned military attack, renewing the threat after he said he called off the attack scheduled for Tuesday at the request of the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

The American President also said that Iran has a “limited period of time” to agree to a deal, giving options “two or three days, maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday, something, maybe early next week.”

Iran’s latest peace proposal to ​the US involves ending hostilities on all fronts, including Lebanon, the exit of US forces from areas close to Iran and reparations for destruction caused by the war.

Meanwhile, the US imposed sanctions on an Iranian foreign currency exchange house and what it said were front companies overseeing transactions on behalf of Iranian banks. It also blocked 19 vessels, which it said were involved in shipping Iranian petroleum and petrochemicals to foreign customers. It also seized an oil tanker linked to Iran in the Indian Ocean overnight.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent extended a sanctions waiver by 30 ​days to allow “energy-vulnerable” countries ⁠to continue purchasing Russian seaborne oil.

Oil markets continue to price in persistent supply disruptions in the Middle East, with analysts noting that hopes that China would help broker progress during recent Trump-Xi talks failed to materialise.

Goldman Sachs forecasts that every month the Strait of Hormuz remains closed adds $10 to the price of oil at year’s end, while ING said some shipping activity through the Strait of Hormuz has resumed, including several crude tankers and a Vietnamese-bound Iraqi oil shipment, though flows remain well below normal levels and could deteriorate quickly.

The American Petroleum Institute (API) estimated that crude oil inventories in the US fell by 9.1 million barrels in the week ending May 15. In the week prior, US crude oil inventories fell by 2.188 million barrels. Official data from the US Energy Information Administration (EIA) will be released later on Wednesday.

Continue Reading

Economy

All Set for Champion Breweries’ 50th AGM on Thursday

Published

on

2025 Champion Breweries AGM

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

Barring any last-minute changes, the 50th Annual General Meeting (AGM) of Champion Breweries Plc will take place on Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Oriental Hotel, Victoria Island, Lagos, at 11:00 am.

At the yearly shareholders’ gathering, some of the key statutory and governance matters to be considered will include the Audited Financial Statements for the year ended December 31, 2025, alongside the Reports of the Directors, Auditors, and the Audit Committee.

Other agenda items are the declaration of dividends, election and re-election of Directors, authorisation for Directors to determine the remuneration of the Auditors, and election/re-election of shareholders’ representatives to the Audit Committee.

In line with its commitment to transparency, accountability, and shareholder engagement, the AGM will be held physically while also being accessible to stakeholders via the company’s official website: www.championbreweries.com.

This year’s AGM comes at a defining moment in the organisation’s corporate journey, following a transformative year marked by strategic expansion initiatives, including the acquisition of Bullet Energy Drink and its successful engagement with the capital market to raise growth capital.

These developments reinforce Champion Breweries Plc’s commitment to strengthening its competitive positioning, expanding its portfolio, and delivering long-term shareholder value.

The brewer has strengthened its transition into a group structure with the acquisition of an 80 per cent stake in enJOYbev B.V., a strategic move already delivering early earnings contribution and validating its international expansion drive.

The subsidiary’s results are now being consolidated into the Group accounts for the first time, with enJOYbev B.V. already contributing positively to earnings through operating profitability within the reporting period, an early validation of the group’s expansion strategy.

“This AGM reflects a defining chapter in our journey as a Company. The acquisition of Bullet, our successful capital market engagement, and the integration of enJOYbev B.V. into our group structure all signal a deliberate strategy for sustainable growth and diversification.

“These milestones position Champion Breweries Plc for stronger performance, broader market reach, and enhanced shareholder value. We remain committed to disciplined execution, operational excellence, and the highest standards of corporate governance,” the chairman of Champion Breweries, Mr Imo Abasi Jacob, said.

Continue Reading

Trending