Connect with us

Economy

Brent Crude Hits 18-Year Low as Demand Wanes

Published

on

brent crude oil

By Adedapo Adesanya

Crude oil prices dropped more than five percent on Monday, March 30, 2020, trading at the level last seen in the year 2002. This was heavily impacted by global restrictions on movements due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

On Monday night, Brent crude depreciated by $1.56 or 5.62 percent to to trade at $26.39 per barrel, while the West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude plunged by $1.18 equivalent to 5.7 percent to $20.33 per barrel.

With over 776,000 coronavirus cases recorded across the globe, countries have activated lockdown, meaning no usual activities taking place, leading to fall in demand for petroleum products.

Last week Goldman Sachs analysts said that global oil demand could fall by as much as 18.7 barrels per day in April, higher than 10.5 million barrels recorded in the month of  March.

However, this week, the bank has projected that the world’s oil consumption will plummet by 26 million barrels per day equivalent to 25 percent different from global demand before lockdown and social-distancing as the outbreak has now affected 92 percent of the world’s gross domestic product (GDP).

On the supply front, the Saudi Arabia and Russia induced price war is making it difficult for prices to rise as the world is facing an unprecedented amount of oil glut threatening to further harm prices from next month.

Traders now believe the surplus could approach 25 million barrels a day next month, a level that could fill up world storage facilities worldwide within weeks as major producers have revealed plans to pump more from April 1.

Analysts see that with this increase in output, oil prices might face such pressure that the hands of the market will have to adjust, meaning producers going back to the table or even shutting off production so that the stored crude can be sold.

Major crude benchmarks have recorded losses for five straight weeks and the price of oil is now too low that it is becoming unprofitable for many oil firms to remain active. Analysts said higher cost producers will have no choice but to shut production, especially since storage capacities are almost full.

Oil companies are also taking measures including capital spending cuts, reductions in dividends and labour to stifle the effect and even recent government intervention have not been able to cushion the worsening market.

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Economy

Nigerian Exchange Loses Momentum, Drops to N155trn

Published

on

Customs Street Nigerian Stock Exchange

By Dipo Olowookere

The Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited has recently struggled to regain its spark due to continued selling pressure from investors reducing their exposure to equities in favour of fixed-income investment instruments.

Yesterday, the stock market further shed 0.35 per cent on the back of profit-taking in the banking sector, which closed lower by 1.83 per cent. The consumer goods space lost 0.13 per cent, and the energy counter depreciated by 0.01 per cent, while the insurance index gained 0.04 per cent, with the industrial goods segment closing flat.

Business Post reports that the All-Share Index (ASI) decreased on Tuesday by 843.42 points to 241,611.23 points from 242,454.65 points, and the market capitalisation shrank by N545 billion to N155.973 trillion from N156.518 trillion.

Like the previous session, investor sentiment was weak after Customs Street ended with 22 price gainers and 37 price losers, indicating a negative market breadth index.

Red Star Express weakened by 10.00 per cent to N16.20, Trans-Nationwide Express crashed by 9.94 per cent to N2.81, Meyer depleted by 9.88 per cent to N15.05, Chellarams plunged by 9.77 per cent to N9.70, and Fortis Global Insurance moderated by 9.70 per cent to N2.14.

On the flip side, Haldane McCall surged by 9.97 per cent to N3.20, Veritas Kapital climbed by 7.09 per cent to N1.36, Tantalizers rose by 5.26 per cent to N4.00, RT Briscoe appreciated by 4.31 per cent to N10.90, and Regency Alliance grew by 3.66 per cent to 85 Kobo.

A look at the activity chart for the day showed the volume of transactions significantly retreated by 66.94 per cent as a result of the absence of big-ticket trades, and the number of deals dropped by 21.57 per cent, while the value of trades increased by 20.09 per cent.

Market participants traded 429.8 million stocks valued at N27.5 billion in 35,683 deals during the session compared with the 1.3 billion stocks worth N22.9 billion transacted in 45,494 deals on Monday.

Sterling Holdings led the activity chart with a turnover of 51.6 million units for N390.6 million. FCMB traded 50.0 million units worth N584.8 million, Chams sold 32.4 million units valued at N134.5 million, Veritas Kapital exchanged 180 million units for N24.3 million, and First Holdco transacted 17.0 million units worth N2.2 billion.

Continue Reading

Economy

FAAC Disburses N3.007trn from July 2026 Earnings to FG, States, Councils

Published

on

FAAC allocation

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

About N3.007 trillion of the N4.359 trillion revenue generated by Nigeria in July 2026 was disbursed in August 2026 to the three tiers of government by the Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC) at its meeting held in Owerri, Imo State, on the sidelines of the National Council of the Federation and Economic Development.

A statement issued on Tuesday by the Director of Press and Public Relations in the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation, Mr Bawa Mokwa, disclosed that the gross statutory revenue jumped 17.8 per cent from N3.700 trillion in June due to improved collections from petroleum and non-oil revenue sources.

The statement noted that Petroleum Profit Tax, Hydrocarbon Tax, Companies Income Tax, Capital Gains Tax, Stamp Duty, petroleum royalties, mineral royalties, excise duty and gas-flaring penalties rose, while earnings from Value Added Tax (VAT), import duty, Common External Tariff levies, gas-flaring fee rentals and miscellaneous oil revenue declined.

“In its regular monthly business, FAAC approved the disbursement of a total of N3.007 trillion to the Federal Government, the 36 State Governments and the 774 Local Government Councils as revenue for July 2026,” a part of the statement disclosed.

Continue Reading

Economy

Oil Prices Edge Higher as Iran Keeps Hormuz Strait Closed

Published

on

oil prices driving up Trump

By Adedapo Adesanya

Oil prices rose marginally as Iran said it would adopt a more offensive stance and the Strait of Hormuz would remain ‌closed, while the United States ruled out extending a ceasefire.

Brent crude futures finished higher by 15 cents or 0.17 per cent at $91.02 a barrel, while the US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude futures chalked up 44 cents or 0.52 per cent to trade at $84.94 a barrel.

A top Iranian negotiator, Mr Mohammad Baqer ​Qalibaf, said that Iran will keep the strait closed until the United States meets the conditions of the interim deal signed in June.

Mr Qalibaf’s comments came after a senior Iranian official earlier said that ⁠Iran will shift to a “fully offensive” military posture as efforts have stalled toward a permanent end to the war.

Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump, who previously labelled that deal “over,” said on Tuesday that talks between the US and Iran were ​neither taking place nor scheduled, but the strait was open.

Iran has separately been negotiating with Oman on an agreement on managing the strait and says they are close to a deal. However, the American President threatened ​to bomb Oman, a longstanding ⁠US security partner.

Yemen’s Houthis launched missiles in an attack on vessels they described as a Saudi military ship and four escorts in the Red Sea while the United Kingdom Maritime Trade ​Operations (UKMTO) separately said it received a report on Tuesday that a vessel was struck by an unknown projectile while transiting out of ​the strait, causing engine ⁠room damage and a crew casualty.

Amid these developments, Saudi Aramco has resumed oil loadings from inside the strait, and is offering cargoes for loading via ship-to-ship transfers off ​Fujairah in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) while two Chinese shipping giants also have started collecting oil cargoes outside the Gulf.

Russia is reportedly rerouting Kazakhstan’s crude oil exports from the Baltic port of Ust-Luga to the Black Sea port of Novorossiysk, freeing up capacity ⁠for more ​Russian oil exports from the Baltic amid heightened Black Sea security risks. The move would allow Russia ​to replace Kazakh barrels at Ust-Luga with its own crude exports, while Ukrainian drone attacks make it more difficult for Russian exporters to secure tankers for Black Sea loadings.

Continue Reading