Economy
Brent, WTI Crude Plunge Further into Bearish Territory
By Adedapo Adesanya
Crude oil prices continued in the bearish territory on Wednesday, falling more than two percent, driven by the spread in COVID-19 affecting demand. The disease has now reached other nations in Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East.
The virus, which had been affecting oil prices for more than a month, spread into oil-producing countries in the Middle East and new markets in America as hundreds of new coronavirus cases have been reported.
Brent crude fell $1.53 or 2.82 percent to $52.73 per barrel on Wednesday as the US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude dropped further below the $50 mark by 2.46 percent equivalent to $1.23 to settle at $48.67 per barrel.
Latest reports show that more deaths have been reported in Iran, Italy, and South Korea. Italy has registered more than 400 coronavirus cases and 12 deaths. The virus had killed 19 people in Iran until now and infected 139 others, while South Korea has 11 deaths and a number of cases.
European countries like Georgia, Finland, Macedonia, and Germany with Brazil in Latin America reported fresh and first cases on Wednesday.
Oil prices were looking like they were going to get support earlier on hopes for deeper output cuts by the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and its allies, including Russia, a grouping known as OPEC+.
Business Post had reported on Tuesday that Saudi Arabia’s Energy Minister, Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman stressed he was confident that OPEC+ would respond responsibly to the spread of the virus when they meet in Vienna over March 5-6.
However, the drop for oil further headed down on report that crude stocks grew by 452,000 barrels to 443.3 million barrels by February 21, the Energy Information Administration (EIA) said on Wednesday, which was less than the 2-million-barrel rise expected by analyst.
Analysts also said that oil prices were under pressure from the recent strength in the US dollar, which generally moves in the opposite direction to oil prices.
With demand falling, Goldman Sachs cut its 2020 oil demand growth forecast to 600,000 barrels per day (bpd) from 1.2 million bpd, and lowered its forecast for Brent crude to $60 per barrel from $63 per barrel set last year.
With all these happening, all eyes will be on OPEC+ even as Saudi Arabia and Russia have so far failed to reach an agreement to cut oil production with dwindling oil prices and plunge in demand. The major hope now is for a comment that will send prices up as all previous ones have proved ineffective.
Economy
Oil Dips 2% Amid Progress in US-Iran Nuclear Talks
By Adedapo Adesanya
Oil was down by about 2 per cent on Tuesday on hopes tensions between the United States and Iran were easing after Iran’s foreign minister said the countries had reached an understanding regarding nuclear talks.
Brent futures fell $1.23 or 1.8 per cent to $67.42 a barrel, and the US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) futures slipped 56 cents or 0.9 per cent to $62.33 per barrel.
According to Iranian Foreign Minister, Mr Abbas Araqchi, his country and the United States reached an understanding on the main “guiding principles” in a second round of indirect talks in Geneva, Switzerland, over their nuclear dispute on Tuesday.
However, this does not mean a deal is imminent.
Iran’s supreme leader said on Tuesday that any US attempt to depose his government would fail as the US continued a military buildup exercise in the Middle East.
Iran will close parts of the critical oil shipping lane in the Middle East, the Strait of Hormuz, for a few hours on Tuesday as it is conducting military drills in the area. The government said the partial closure is due to security precautions.
The Strait of Hormuz, the narrow lane between Iran and Oman, is the world’s most critical oil transit chokepoint, and the oil market has time and again feared Iran could attempt to close the lane. In 2024, oil flow through the strait averaged 20 million barrels per day, or the equivalent of about 20 per cent of global petroleum liquids consumption.
Iran and fellow Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) members Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Iraq export most of their crude via the Strait, mainly to Asia.
Negotiators from Ukraine and Russia concluded the first of two days of US-mediated peace talks in Geneva on Tuesday, with US President Donald Trump pressing Ukraine to act fast to reach a deal to end the four-year conflict.
Meanwhile, Ukraine continued its attacks on Russian energy infrastructure. Its military said on Tuesday it struck the Ilsky refinery, while a drone attack was also reported at the port of Taman.
A peace resolution could see a lifting of sanctions on Russia, bringing Russian oil back to the mainstream market. In 2025, Russia was the third-biggest crude producer in the world behind the United States and Saudi Arabia.
Economy
MTN Reaches $6.2bn Deal to Fully Own IHS Towers
By Adedapo Adesanya
MTN Group has agreed to take full control of IHS Holding, buying the roughly 75 per cent stake it does not already own in a deal that values the tower operator at about $6.2 billion.
According to a statement, MTN, which is Africa’s biggest mobile operator, will pay $8.50 per share in cash.
The deal will be funded through the rollover of MTN’s existing stake of around 24% in IHS, as well as about $1.1 billion in cash from MTN, roughly $1.1 billion from IHS’s balance sheet, and the rollover of no more than existing IHS debt.
The offer represents a 239 per cent premium to the company’s share price when it announced a strategic review on March 12, 2024, a 36 per cent premium to its 52-week volume-weighted average price as of February 4, 2026, and a three per cent premium to its unaffected closing price of $8.23 on that same date.
The transaction will see MTN transition from being a minority shareholder in IHS to a full owner. Upon completion, IHS will delist from the New York Stock Exchange and become a wholly owned subsidiary of MTN.
For MTN, the deal represents a decisive shift as data demand surges and digital infrastructure becomes increasingly strategic with a booming digitally-oriented youth population on the continent.
Over the past decade, many African telecom operators sold tower assets to independent infrastructure firms to unlock capital and reduce balance sheet pressure. This marks a reversal of the trend.
MTN itself had reduced its direct exposure to tower ownership, retaining a roughly 24 per cent fully diluted stake in IHS before the agreement.
Speaking on this, Mr Ralph Mupita, group president and CEO, MTN Group, described the proposed acquisition as a pivotal step in strengthening MTN’s strategic and financial position in a future where digital infrastructure will be central to Africa’s development.
He said the deal would enhance MTN’s ability to partner with governments and support long-term connectivity growth across its markets.
“This proposed transaction is a pivotal step in further strengthening MTN Group’s strategic and financial position for a future where digital infrastructure will become ever more essential to Africa’s growth and development,” he said.
The board of IHS unanimously approved the agreement and recommended that shareholders vote in favor.
MTN has committed to vote all its shares in support of the deal, while long-term shareholder Wendel has also issued a letter backing the transaction. Together, they account for more than 40 per cent of shareholder support already secured.
On his part, Mr Sam Darwish, chairman and CEO of IHS, said the agreement offers shareholders certainty and immediate value realisation following a strategic review launched during a period of macroeconomic and geopolitical volatility across key markets.
Founded 25 years ago with a single tower in one market, IHS grew into one of the world’s largest independent tower companies by count, operating in 11 countries and managing approximately 40,000 towers at its peak.
If completed, the acquisition will create the largest standalone and integrated tower company in Africa under MTN’s control, tightening the alignment between network operations and physical infrastructure in a region where connectivity remains both a commercial battleground and a development imperative.
Economy
Nigeria Renews Push for West African Single Currency as ECOWAS Hold Talks
By Adedapo Adesanya
Nigeria is stepping up engagement toward the creation of a regional single currency, following fresh consultations among West African monetary authorities, following constant delay of achieving the goal.
In an update by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) via its X handle, the Governor of the apex bank, Mr Yemi Cardoso, led the country’s delegation to the Committee of Governors meeting held in Monrovia, Liberia, where policymakers reviewed progress and renewed discussions on establishing the long-proposed single currency known as the Eco.
Last year, the West African bloc announced that the single regional currency would be launched by 2027 to foster greater economic integration among member states by facilitating trade through a unified payment system, enhancing price stability and reducing inflationary pressures.
In the latest development, the CBN statement noted that the Nigerian delegation also included Deputy Governor (Economic Policy), Mr Muhammad Sani Abdullahi.
“The meeting formed part of statutory engagements jointly organised by the Economic Community of West African States alongside the West African Monetary Agency, the West African Monetary Institute, and the West African Institute for Financial and Economic Management. The consultations brought together financial regulators and economic policymakers across the sub-region to assess convergence benchmarks required for launching the unified currency”, the apex bank said.
The Eco project is designed to deepen economic integration among ECOWAS member states by providing a common legal tender that would facilitate cross-border trade, enhance price transparency and reduce transaction costs tied to multiple currency exchanges. The initiative has been under discussion for over two decades but has experienced repeated postponements as member countries struggle to meet strict macroeconomic convergence criteria.
The apex bank noted that the meeting focused on evaluating member states’ performance against key economic indicators. These include inflation rate ceilings, fiscal deficit thresholds relative to gross domestic product, and foreign reserve adequacy, all considered critical safeguards for ensuring stability within a potential monetary union.
Despite many delays, ECOWAS latest move shows it may be aligning with Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Yusuf Tuggar, saying last year that member states have started attaining benchmarks to see the goal actualised.
-
Feature/OPED6 years agoDavos was Different this year
-
Travel/Tourism10 years ago
Lagos Seals Western Lodge Hotel In Ikorodu
-
Showbiz3 years agoEstranged Lover Releases Videos of Empress Njamah Bathing
-
Banking8 years agoSort Codes of GTBank Branches in Nigeria
-
Economy3 years agoSubsidy Removal: CNG at N130 Per Litre Cheaper Than Petrol—IPMAN
-
Banking3 years agoSort Codes of UBA Branches in Nigeria
-
Banking3 years agoFirst Bank Announces Planned Downtime
-
Sports3 years agoHighest Paid Nigerian Footballer – How Much Do Nigerian Footballers Earn











