Connect with us

Economy

Investors Lose N281b In 8 Months

Published

on

investors-lose-n281b

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

According to a report by Vanguard, investors in Nigeria’s stock market lost about N281 billion of their investment value in the past eight months as the ongoing economic recession continues to hit the financial market.

This is just as stockbrokers continued to lament over difficult operating environment which has placed their businesses in difficulties.

Vanguard findings showed that the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) market capitalisation, which represents the value of total investment in the stock market by investors, dropped by N281 billion or 2.9 per cent from N9.850 trillion it opened in the first trading day of January this year to close at N9.569 trillion last week Friday.

Another stock market gauge, the NSE All share index dropped by 2.7 per cent or 783.77 points from 28, 642.25 points it opened in January to close last week at 27,599.03 points.

Meanwhile, stockbrokers have said that the on-going economic recession continues to affect the financial market with dire consequences on the income streams of the capital market operators and has given them concern for their continued existence.

According to stockbrokers, “There is a deep concern that the current operating environment characterised by high interest rate, weak purchasing power, poor corporate earnings, unstable exchange rate , high inflation rate and investors’ apathy among others are fast eroding our dwindling income fuelling speculation that many of   us may be pushed   completely out of the business.

“So, if the government does not intervene appropriately we may be forced to go out of business and this will affect our employees and put them in the unemployment market.”

Painting the gloomy picture of the stockbrokers’ weak financial situation, the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Standard Union Securities, Mr Sehinde Adenagbe said it would be difficult for stockbrokers to break even under the current climate.

“Overhead cost is rising steadily and workers are clamouring for higher pay to cope with the high cost of living. Office rent, epileptic power supply and transport costs are of great concerns to us and there are other contending issues that are eating deeply into the incomes of stockbrokers,” Mr Adenagbe posited.

Speaking on the survival strategy, the President and Chairman of Governing Council, Chartered Institute of Stockbrokers (CIS), Mr Oluwaseyi Abe advocated personal development on the part of the stockbrokers in order to expand their income streams.

“Recession is a time to take a breath. Invest on knowledge this time and be moderate. Stockbrokers should be multitasking to be relevant on all platforms and Exchanges.

“Also, they should not forget the age-long advice of an investment expert, Warren Buffet whose ideals covered risk taking, savings, expectation and earnings among others as survival strategy,” Mr Abe said.

Agreeing with Mr Abe’s submission, the Registrar and Chief Executive, CIS, Mr Adedeji Ajadi    advised stockbrokers to be more creative and ready for diversification in order to remain in business. “This is not the time to limit business opportunities to trading listed securities. What about bonds, unlisted equities and foreign exchange?

“Stockbrokers are also investment advisers. This is the right time to work with governments at various levels as consultants and advisers on how to create alternative sources of revenue, and better manage scarce resources to ride through the challenges of the economy at this time,” Mr Ajadi said.

Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Network Capital Limited, Mr Oluropo Dada said there is the need for stockbrokers to leverage their wide professional latitude to go into money market instruments by way of portfolio switching in favour of money market instruments such as Treasury bills.

Mr Dada described money market instruments as very attractive at present as the federal government is deploying them to attract foreign investors.

“This possibly accounts for massive sell-offs of some stocks in the market. Stockbrokers are now buying instruments with strong fundamentals like Nestle Foods and Nigeria Breweries for proprietary trading to remain in business in this period of recession,” Mr Dada said.

The Chief Executive Officer, NASD OTC Exchange, Mr Bola Ajomale simply urged stockbrokers to wear their investment banking cap and work on buy-outs, mergers and growth of Small and Medium Scale Enterprises (SMEs) in order to cope with the current realities.

The Chief Executive Officer, Finawell Capital Limited, Mr Tunde Oyekunle advised stockbrokers to consider alternative income streams such as setting up of a strong fixed income desk to trade bonds and forex. He also recommended commodity trading and Derivatives such as forward contracts to boost income in the wake of recession.

Mr Oyekunle’s view was corroborated by the Chief Dealer, Coo Hedge Securities and Investment, Mr Samuel Ndata who urged his colleagues to diversify whatever little income in stockbroking to agriculture in order to stay afloat.

Mr David Adonri, the Chief Executive Officer, Highcap Securities Limited stated that to remain in business, stockbrokers must embark on austerity measures by cutting cost and patiently awaiting recovery of the economy.

The Relationship Officer, Foresight Securities and Investment Limited, Mr Fakrogba Charles who noted that economy moves in cycles said that stockbrokers should advise investors to invest in value stocks as recession is not a permanent feature.

In his response, the Principal Partner and Chief Executive Officer, Alicorn Consulting Limited, Mr Segun Oye simply explained that, “Recession comes with external factors that can only be managed by aggressive reduction of overhead and option of innovative diversification.

Speaking as well on the economic recession in the country, Managing Director/CEO, B. Adedipe Associates, Dr Biodun Adedipe, said that the recession is bad news for all stakeholders, and it also demands creativity and pragmatism to reverse. He tasked the government to provide leadership by spending more, especially on infrastructure to prevent a full blown depression and push for economic recovery.

Dr Adedipe further charged the government on the need to make business environment more friendly, ensure policy alignment with expansionary necessity and press more into transparency and value for money spending.

According to him, the government needs to revisit the exchange rate policy — the current arrangement is counterproductive for an import dependent economy with weak real sector.”

Also speaking on this development, Managing Director, Cowry Asset Management Limited, Mr Johnson Chukwu, said that with the economy going into a recession, there is the likelihood of more job losses as consumer demand declines further.

“I think that our economic managers at both the fiscal and monetary sides need to evolve coordinated stimulus response to inject liquidity into the System and reverse the economic decline,” he said.”

He, however, urged the nation’s economy managers on why emphasis should be shifted from fighting high rate of inflation to intensifying efforts in restoring economic growth.

In a similar direction, Director-General, Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI), Mr Muda Yusuf, said government should work to rekindle investors’ confidence in the economy because capital and investment flows from investors are needed to complement government’s developmental drives. His words, “government can rekindle investors’ confidence in the economy by the quality and consistency of its policies.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/09/recession-investors-lose-n281bn-less-9-months/

Dipo Olowookere is a journalist based in Nigeria that has passion for reporting business news stories. At his leisure time, he watches football and supports 3SC of Ibadan. Mr Olowookere can be reached via [email protected]

Economy

Crude Oil Prices Climb on Fears of Prolonged Iran War Disruptions

Published

on

crude oil prices

By Adedapo Adesanya

Crude oil prices climbed about 3 per cent on Monday as worries over supply disruption from the Iran war offset a report that the US had agreed to ‌waive sanctions on Iranian crude during talks.

Brent futures rose $2.84 or 2.6 per cent to $112.10 a barrel, while the US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude for June delivery jumped $3.24 or 3.1 per cent to $108.66 per barrel.

Drone attacks on both the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Saudi Arabia further dimmed hopes of any de-escalation in the region.

The drone strikes included an attack that led to a fire near the Barakah nuclear power plant in the UAE, with the country’s defence ministry saying two other drones had been successfully dealt with. Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia said it had intercepted three drones that entered its airspace from Iraq.

These attacks are just the latest in a string of attacks on US allies in the region after President Donald Trump launched Project Freedom, his latest attempt to reopen the Strait of Hormuz for trade.

The lack of a breakthrough on an Iran agreement during President Trump’s visit to China also added to upward pressure for oil prices, with fears of major global shortages now rising rapidly.

Also, the International Energy Agency (IEA) said ​commercial oil inventories were depleting rapidly, with only a few weeks’ worth left due to the conflict and the closure of the strait to shipping.

The head of the Paris-based agency, Mr Fatih Birol, said the release of strategic reserves had added 2.5 million barrels of oil per day to the market, but they were “not endless”.

Reuters cited an Iranian media report that the US had accepted in the new text to waive Iran’s oil sanctions during the period of talks, also reporting that Pakistan has shared with the US a revised proposal from Iran to end the war in the Middle East.

According to the Financial Times, Scotland-based economists are now examining a scenario where Brent crude surges to $180 per barrel if traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains constrained for an extended period.

In China, growth lost momentum in April, with industrial output cooling and retail sales sinking to more than three-year lows as the world’s second-biggest economy faced higher energy costs from the Iran war and persistently weak domestic demand.

Continue Reading

Economy

FG Unveils Tax Ombud Office’s Website, Toll-Free Call Centre

Published

on

tax education

By Adedapo Adesanya

The federal government has reaffirmed its commitment to building a transparent, accountable and citizen-focused tax administration system, with the unveiling of the official website and launch of the toll-free call centre of the Tax Ombud Office.

The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mr Mohammed Idris, on Monday described the development as a major step toward improving public confidence in the country’s tax system and enhancing access to complaint-resolution services for taxpayers.

“This is a major milestone in strengthening public trust, improving accessibility, and promoting fairness in Nigeria’s tax administration system. Effective communication and citizen engagement remain central to the success of ongoing economic reforms such as this,” the minister said.

He noted that the Mr Bola Tinubu-led administration was focused on implementing reforms aimed at strengthening revenue generation, ensuring fiscal sustainability and driving national development.

According to him, “Under the visionary leadership of President Bola Tinubu, the federal government remains steadfast in its commitment to building a stronger, more resilient, and prosperous economy through bold and strategic reforms.”

The minister stressed the importance of taxation in national development, saying it provides resources needed for investments in critical sectors such as infrastructure, healthcare, education, transportation and security.

He, however, maintained that tax administration must be built on trust, transparency and fairness rather than enforcement alone.

“Tax administration cannot succeed on enforcement alone. It must be supported by public trust, transparency, fairness, and effective communication,” Mr Idris stated.

He explained that the Tax Ombud Office was created to serve as a bridge between taxpayers and tax authorities by providing a fair and professional platform for handling complaints and resolving disputes.

The minister also commended the introduction of the toll-free call centre and official website, describing them as important tools for improving public access to information and removing communication barriers.

“The launch of the Toll-Free Call Centre demonstrates a commitment to removing communication barriers and ensuring that Nigerians can easily seek information, make enquiries, and resolve complaints without unnecessary difficulties or financial burden,” he added.

Mr Idris further emphasised the need for sustained civic education and public enlightenment to encourage voluntary tax compliance and responsible citizenship.

“Tax education is not just about revenue generation; it is about building a culture of national participation and shared responsibility,” he said.

The minister warned that misinformation and poor communication often weaken public trust in reforms, calling for stronger collaboration among government institutions, the media, civil society groups and other stakeholders.

“Misinformation and inadequate communication often contribute to distrust and resistance to reforms. This underscores the importance of strategic media engagement and sustained public communication,” he noted.

He pledged the continued support of the Federal Ministry of Information and National Orientation in sensitising Nigerians on tax reforms, taxpayers’ rights and available complaint-resolution mechanisms.

Continue Reading

Economy

Peter Obi Raises Eyebrows Over Tinubu’s $11.6bn Debt Servicing Plan

Published

on

peter obi

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

The presidential candidate of the Labour Party in the 2023 general elections, Mr Peter Obi, has expressed worry over plans by the administration of President Bola Tinubu to spend about $11.6 billion on debt servicing.

In a post on his social media platform on Monday, the opposition politician criticised this move, saying it is not good for the country.

He also said this action “should concern anyone interested in the country’s economic future and long-term development.”

The former Governor of Anambra State kicked against the penchant of the government to borrow from various sources without anything to show for it.

“There is nothing inherently wrong with borrowing when it is guided by prudence and directed toward productive investment, he noted, stressing that countries such as Japan, the United Kingdom, the United States, the United Arab Emirates, Singapore, and Indonesia are all heavily indebted, yet their borrowings are largely channelled into education, healthcare, infrastructure, and innovation – sectors that generate long-term economic returns and sustain repayment capacity.”

According to him, “despite high debt levels, their obligations remain more manageable because they are tied to measurable productivity.”

He said, “Nigeria’s situation, however, is markedly different. A huge proportion of past borrowing has been directed toward consumption, with limited visible or sustainable developmental outcomes to justify the scale of indebtedness.”

“It is also important to note that a huge portion of the debt currently being serviced was accumulated under the Tinubu administration itself, while borrowing has continued at a significant pace. The administration’s recent external borrowing alone includes about $6 billion (from First Abu Dhabi Bank in the UAE—$5 billion, and UK Export Finance via Citibank London—$1 billion), a further $1.25 billion under consideration from the World Bank, and an additional $516 million arranged through Deutsche Bank, bringing the latest known external loan commitments to roughly $7.8 billion. In addition, domestic borrowing through monthly bond issuances continues to add to the overall debt stock,” the businessman also stated.

“Against this backdrop, Nigeria’s 2026 budget shows that health is N2.46 trillion, education is N2.56 trillion, and poverty alleviation is N865 billion, giving a combined total of about N5.885 trillion for these three critical sectors.

“By comparison, debt servicing at about $11.6 billion (approximately N17–N18 trillion, depending on exchange rate assumptions) is almost three times higher than the total allocation to health, education, and social protection combined. This imbalance highlights a troubling fiscal reality in which debt obligations increasingly crowd out investment in human capital and poverty reduction.

“Moreover, even within the limited allocations to these sectors, funds may not be fully released, and a significant portion of what is eventually released could be misappropriated,” he further stated.

Mr Obi said, “The central issue is not borrowing itself, but whether borrowed funds are being converted into measurable productivity, inclusive growth, and improved living standards. Without this, debt servicing shifts from being a temporary fiscal obligation to a long-term structural burden that constrains development and deepens economic vulnerability.”

Continue Reading

Trending