Connect with us

Economy

IoD Admires Accelerated Dynamism of NGX

Published

on

accelerated dynamism of NGX

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

The Institute of Directors (IoD) has shown admiration for the smooth transition of the Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited from the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE).

Last year, the NSE completed its demutualisation and transformed into NGX Group Plc, allowing the public access to its stocks.

The company gave birth to three subsidiaries, including NGX Limited and listed its shares on the bourse. This was after it first tested the waters at the unlisted securities market, the NASD over-the-counter (OTC) Securities Exchange.

On Tuesday, the leadership of IoD were at the bourse for a closing gong ceremony. During the event, the President/Chairman of the group, Mrs Ije Jidenma, commended the NGX for appointing some of its members to positions on its board, adding that the institute had followed with keen interest the “accelerated dynamism of NGX to a shareholder-owned for-profit entity, especially the role that the exchange has played in the past, present and the future.”

She further said, “The institute and the exchange have an intersection in terms of in corporate governance for the country to be better.”

While calling for more collaboration between the exchange and the IoD, she noted that, “We are convinced that whatever objective the exchange sets out, it will achieve.”

On his part, the chief executive of the NGX, Mr Temi Popoola, said both organisations have for long worked in tandem to advance best practices in corporate governance in the Nigerian capital market.

According to him, in March 2022, NGX, IoD and the Nigerian Bar Association’s Section on Businesss Law (NBA-SBL) partnered to form the Corporate Governance Triangle, which led to the creation of the Corporate Governance Charter that was officially released in August 2022.

He emphasised the efforts of NGX in fostering compliance to global best practices in corporate governance by its listed companies, with its Premium Board being a notable example that has attracted substantial liquidity from investors.

Mr Popoola, represented by the Divisional Head of Capital Markets at NGX, Mr Jude Chiemeka, acknowledged the efforts of IoD in the effective functioning and development of the capital market and the broader private and public sectors as it advocated for standardised corporate governance and best practices.

“As NGX prides itself for being at the forefront of excellence in governance, integrity and transparency in the Nigerian private sector, we recognise the efforts of IoD in its stance towards promoting competence, developing corporate governance standards, protecting the integrity of directorship, advocacy and nurturing astute professionals who contribute to the success of corporate and public organisations as well as the development of our country.

“We have long enjoyed a synergistic relationship since pre-demutualisation, and we hope this will continue in goodwill. We look forward to more collaborative opportunities with IoD to actualise our collective goals and objectives,” he added.

Aduragbemi Omiyale is a journalist with Business Post Nigeria, who has passion for news writing. In her leisure time, she loves to read.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Economy

Investors Eye Investment Opportunities in Dangote Refinery

Published

on

South African investors dangote refinery

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

The planned listing of the Dangote Petroleum Refinery & Petrochemicals on the Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited is already attracting interest from South African investors and others.

The leadership of South Africa’s Government Employees Pension Fund (GEPF), alongside the Public Investment Corporation and Alterra Capital Partners, were recently at the Lagos-based facility.

The chairperson of GEPF, Mr Frans Baleni, said that the refinery stands as evidence that Africa can execute transformational infrastructure projects when backed by visionary leadership, long-term investment and strong technical expertise.

According to him, the significance of the project extends well beyond Nigeria’s borders, noting that it should reshape how Africa thinks about itself.

“The Dangote Refinery and Petrochemicals Complex is a powerful demonstration that, with visionary leadership and long-term capital, that perception no longer holds. This is the kind of African-led industrial scale that institutional investors on this continent should be backing,” he said.

Also speaking, the chief executive of PIC, Mr Patrick Dlamini, described the refinery as one of the most transformative industrial projects undertaken on the continent, saying it is reshaping global perceptions about Africa’s industrial capabilities and economic potential.

He said PIC, which manages about $230 billion in assets largely on behalf of South Africa’s Government Employees Pension Fund, is actively seeking long-term partnerships aligned with infrastructure development, industrialisation and economic transformation across Africa.

“There is real strategic alignment between Dangote’s industrial agenda and how we are positioning our portfolio, and we look forward to exploring meaningful avenues for collaboration,” he stated.

While receiving his visitors, the chief executive of Dangote Group, Mr Aliko Dangote, said the proposed listing is designed to democratise wealth creation and give Africans direct access to participate in the continent’s industrial transformation.

“We are opening the doors for investors to participate directly in Africa’s industrial future and the prosperity it will create,” Mr Dangote said, adding that the refinery project reflects the scale of untapped opportunities within Africa’s energy market, particularly as most countries on the continent remain dependent on imported refined petroleum products despite growing industrial demand and rising consumption.

The billionaire industrialist noted that demand for products such as polypropylene, aviation fuel and refined petroleum products has exceeded earlier projections, reinforcing the commercial viability of the refinery and shaping future expansion plans.

Continue Reading

Economy

Nigeria’s Oil Exploration Declines 41.7% as Rig Counts Falls to 12 in April

Published

on

rig count

By Adedapo Adesanya

Nigeria’s oil exploration and drilling activities declined by 41.7 per cent in April 2026, following reduced upstream operations and investment activities.

According to the May 2026 Monthly Oil Market Report (MOMR) of the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), Nigeria’s rig count, a major indicator of upstream oil and gas activities, dropped to 12 in April 2026 from 17 recorded in March 2026.

The decline came amid persistent upstream investment and operational challenges, according to the latest monthly report released by OPEC.

Earlier data contained in the May 2026 edition of the MOMR also showed that Nigeria’s average rig count declined to 13 in 2025 from 15 recorded in 2024, indicating reduced exploration and drilling activities in the upstream petroleum sector.

The report showed that Nigeria’s rig count fell by five rigs month-on-month, from 17 rigs in March 2026 to 12 rigs in April 2026.

Rig count is widely regarded in the petroleum industry as a key indicator of exploration, field development and investment activities.

The decline comes despite ongoing efforts by the Nigerian government and industry operators to raise crude oil production, boost reserves and attract fresh upstream investments under the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA)

Nigeria’s performance contrasted with the broader African trend, where total rig count increased marginally from 42 in March 2026 to 48 in April 2026.

However, Nigeria accounted for a significant share of the continent’s decline in operational rigs during the period.

Within OPEC, Nigeria remained behind major producers such as Saudi Arabia, which recorded 265 rigs in April 2026, the United Arab Emirates with 66 rigs, and Iraq with 19 rigs.

The development also comes at a time when Nigeria is struggling to meet its crude oil production quota allocated by OPEC consistently.

Continue Reading

Economy

Nigeria’s Central Bank Holds Rate at 26.50% Despite Heightened Disruptions

Published

on

CBN MPC meeting May 20

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has retained the headline interest rate, the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR), at 26.50 per cent.

This was disclosed by the Governor of Nigeria’s central bank, Mr Yemi Cardoso, on Wednesday, after the conclusion of the MPC meeting. He noted that the decision was hinged on Nigeria being largely insulated from external shocks relating to developments in the Middle East.

He also acknowledged that inflation and exchange rate stability were put into consideration during the two-day meeting.

The committee reduced the benchmark interest rate by 50 basis points from 27.0 per cent to 26.5 per cent at its 304th MPC gathering in February.

Nigeria’s inflation rose to 15.69 per cent in April 2026, affected by the fallout from the Iran war, which continued to impact the global economy. Noting that year-on-year, the figures show a moderation rather than worry.

The headline inflation rate for April on a month-on-month basis was 2.13 per cent, while the food inflation rate in the review month was 16.06 per cent on a year-on-year basis.

Mr Cardoso noted that the Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) was also retained at 45 per cent for commercial Banks, 16 per cent for Merchant Banks, and 75 per cent for non-TSA public sector deposits.

He added that the Standing Facilities Corridor was also held flat at +50 / -450 basis points around the MPR.

Continue Reading

Trending