Connect with us

Economy

Tech Stocks Likely to Catch Investors’ Attention on Wall Street

Published

on

wall street

By Investors Hub

The major U.S. index futures are pointing to a higher opening on Thursday following the substantial volatility seen in the previous session.

The markets may benefit from bargain hunting after the tech-heavy Nasdaq ended Wednesday?s trading at its lowest closing level in well over a month.

Trading activity is likely to be somewhat subdued, however, as some traders look to get a head start on the long weekend.

Technology stocks have been key drivers of the markets in recent session and are likely to remain in focus on the day.

Stocks saw considerable volatility over the course of the trading session on Wednesday following the sell-off seen Tuesday afternoon. The major averages spent the day showing wild swings back and forth across the unchanged line.

The major averages eventually all closed in negative territory, with the tech-heavy Nasdaq once again underperforming its counterparts.

While the Nasdaq slid 59.58 points or 0.9 percent to 6,949.23, the S&P 500 fell 7.62 points or 0.3 percent to 2,605.00 and the Dow edged down 9.29 points or less than a tenth of a percent to 23,848.42.

The volatility on Wall Street extends a recent trend, as the pullback seen in the previous session came on the heels of the substantial rebound seen on Monday.

A notable decline by Amazon (AMZN) weighed on the tech-heavy Nasdaq after a report from Axios said President Donald Trump wants to “go after” the online retailer.

Sources who’ve discussed the issue with Trump told Axios the president has talked about changing Amazon’s tax treatment because he’s worried about mom-and-pop retailers being put out of business.

Meanwhile, traders largely shrugged off a Commerce Department report showing stronger than previously estimated economic growth in the fourth quarter of 2017.

The report said gross domestic product climbed by 2.9 percent in the fourth quarter, reflecting an upward revision from the previously estimated 2.5 percent increase. Economists had expected the pace of GDP growth to be upwardly revised to 2.7 percent.

With the upward revision, the GDP growth in the fourth quarter reflects only a modest slowdown from the 3.2 percent jump in the third quarter.

The report paints a positive picture of the economy in the final three months of last year, although the data was likely viewed as old news.

A separate report from the National Association of Realtors showed a bigger than expected rebound in pending home sales in the month of February.

NAR said its pending home sales index jumped by 3.1 percent to 107.5 in February after plunging by 5 percent to a downwardly revised 104.3 in January. Economists had expected pending sales to climb by 2.1 percent.

A pending home sale is one in which a contract was signed but not yet closed. Normally, it takes four to six weeks to close a contracted sale.

Oil service stocks showed a significant move to the downside on the day, dragging the Philadelphia Oil Service Index down by 2.1 percent. The index ended the session at its lowest closing level in well over three months.

The weakness among oil service stocks comes amid a decrease by the price of crude oil following the release of a report showing an unexpected weekly increase in oil inventories.

Considerable weakness was also visible among semiconductor stocks, which extended the sell-off seen in the previous session. The Philadelphia Semiconductor Index slumped by 2.1 percent to a one-month closing low.

Gold stocks also moved sharply lower amid another steep drop by the price of the precious metal, with the NYSE Arca Gold Bugs Index falling by 2 percent.

Chemical and retail stocks also saw notable weakness on the day, while tobacco, real estate, and pharmaceutical stocks showed strong moves to the upside.

Dipo Olowookere is a journalist based in Nigeria that has passion for reporting business news stories. At his leisure time, he watches football and supports 3SC of Ibadan. Mr Olowookere can be reached via [email protected]

Economy

Investors Eye Investment Opportunities in Dangote Refinery

Published

on

South African investors dangote refinery

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

The planned listing of the Dangote Petroleum Refinery & Petrochemicals on the Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited is already attracting interest from South African investors and others.

The leadership of South Africa’s Government Employees Pension Fund (GEPF), alongside the Public Investment Corporation and Alterra Capital Partners, were recently at the Lagos-based facility.

The chairperson of GEPF, Mr Frans Baleni, said that the refinery stands as evidence that Africa can execute transformational infrastructure projects when backed by visionary leadership, long-term investment and strong technical expertise.

According to him, the significance of the project extends well beyond Nigeria’s borders, noting that it should reshape how Africa thinks about itself.

“The Dangote Refinery and Petrochemicals Complex is a powerful demonstration that, with visionary leadership and long-term capital, that perception no longer holds. This is the kind of African-led industrial scale that institutional investors on this continent should be backing,” he said.

Also speaking, the chief executive of PIC, Mr Patrick Dlamini, described the refinery as one of the most transformative industrial projects undertaken on the continent, saying it is reshaping global perceptions about Africa’s industrial capabilities and economic potential.

He said PIC, which manages about $230 billion in assets largely on behalf of South Africa’s Government Employees Pension Fund, is actively seeking long-term partnerships aligned with infrastructure development, industrialisation and economic transformation across Africa.

“There is real strategic alignment between Dangote’s industrial agenda and how we are positioning our portfolio, and we look forward to exploring meaningful avenues for collaboration,” he stated.

While receiving his visitors, the chief executive of Dangote Group, Mr Aliko Dangote, said the proposed listing is designed to democratise wealth creation and give Africans direct access to participate in the continent’s industrial transformation.

“We are opening the doors for investors to participate directly in Africa’s industrial future and the prosperity it will create,” Mr Dangote said, adding that the refinery project reflects the scale of untapped opportunities within Africa’s energy market, particularly as most countries on the continent remain dependent on imported refined petroleum products despite growing industrial demand and rising consumption.

The billionaire industrialist noted that demand for products such as polypropylene, aviation fuel and refined petroleum products has exceeded earlier projections, reinforcing the commercial viability of the refinery and shaping future expansion plans.

Continue Reading

Economy

Nigeria’s Oil Exploration Declines 41.7% as Rig Counts Falls to 12 in April

Published

on

rig count

By Adedapo Adesanya

Nigeria’s oil exploration and drilling activities declined by 41.7 per cent in April 2026, following reduced upstream operations and investment activities.

According to the May 2026 Monthly Oil Market Report (MOMR) of the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), Nigeria’s rig count, a major indicator of upstream oil and gas activities, dropped to 12 in April 2026 from 17 recorded in March 2026.

The decline came amid persistent upstream investment and operational challenges, according to the latest monthly report released by OPEC.

Earlier data contained in the May 2026 edition of the MOMR also showed that Nigeria’s average rig count declined to 13 in 2025 from 15 recorded in 2024, indicating reduced exploration and drilling activities in the upstream petroleum sector.

The report showed that Nigeria’s rig count fell by five rigs month-on-month, from 17 rigs in March 2026 to 12 rigs in April 2026.

Rig count is widely regarded in the petroleum industry as a key indicator of exploration, field development and investment activities.

The decline comes despite ongoing efforts by the Nigerian government and industry operators to raise crude oil production, boost reserves and attract fresh upstream investments under the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA)

Nigeria’s performance contrasted with the broader African trend, where total rig count increased marginally from 42 in March 2026 to 48 in April 2026.

However, Nigeria accounted for a significant share of the continent’s decline in operational rigs during the period.

Within OPEC, Nigeria remained behind major producers such as Saudi Arabia, which recorded 265 rigs in April 2026, the United Arab Emirates with 66 rigs, and Iraq with 19 rigs.

The development also comes at a time when Nigeria is struggling to meet its crude oil production quota allocated by OPEC consistently.

Continue Reading

Economy

Nigeria’s Central Bank Holds Rate at 26.50% Despite Heightened Disruptions

Published

on

CBN MPC meeting May 20

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has retained the headline interest rate, the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR), at 26.50 per cent.

This was disclosed by the Governor of Nigeria’s central bank, Mr Yemi Cardoso, on Wednesday, after the conclusion of the MPC meeting. He noted that the decision was hinged on Nigeria being largely insulated from external shocks relating to developments in the Middle East.

He also acknowledged that inflation and exchange rate stability were put into consideration during the two-day meeting.

The committee reduced the benchmark interest rate by 50 basis points from 27.0 per cent to 26.5 per cent at its 304th MPC gathering in February.

Nigeria’s inflation rose to 15.69 per cent in April 2026, affected by the fallout from the Iran war, which continued to impact the global economy. Noting that year-on-year, the figures show a moderation rather than worry.

The headline inflation rate for April on a month-on-month basis was 2.13 per cent, while the food inflation rate in the review month was 16.06 per cent on a year-on-year basis.

Mr Cardoso noted that the Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) was also retained at 45 per cent for commercial Banks, 16 per cent for Merchant Banks, and 75 per cent for non-TSA public sector deposits.

He added that the Standing Facilities Corridor was also held flat at +50 / -450 basis points around the MPR.

Continue Reading

Trending