Connect with us

Economy

Tension Over Israel’s Attack in Qatar Spikes Oil Prices

Published

on

oil prices driving up Trump

By Adedapo Adesanya

Oil prices jumped on Tuesday on fresh tension in the Middle East after the Israeli military said it carried out an attack on Hamas leadership in Doha, the capital of Qatar.

Brent crude futures grew by 37 cents or 0.6 per cent to $66.39 a barrel and the US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude futures also climbed by 37 cents or 0.6 per cent to $62.63 a barrel.

Israel launched an aerial strike against senior Hamas leaders in Doha on Tuesday, in its first direct attack on Qatari soil, marking a significant escalation in regional tensions.

Qatar, an ally of the US which has been mediating peace efforts to end the war in Gaza, denounced the attack as “cowardly” and illegal, adding that the government “will not tolerate such reckless Israeli behaviour.”

Israel confirmed that a precise strike had been conducted on senior Hamas officials in the city, with reports saying they had gathered to discuss the recent US ceasefire proposal for Gaza.

Other allies of the US in the Middle East, including Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE), promised their support to Qatar.

Market analysts noted that oil prices had also pared some gains because the attack did not create any immediate supply disruption.

Support also came from the latest oil output increase from the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and its allies (OPEC+) being smaller than anticipated, expectations that China will continue stockpiling oil, and concerns over potential new sanctions against Russia.

Despite initial speculation that eight OPEC+ members could bring as much as 550,000 barrels per day of production back in October, the oil group agreed to raise collective output by only 137,000 barrels per day to regain market share.

There is also near-term upside risk also lingers if President Donald Trump follows through on renewed talk of Russia sanctions.

The American Petroleum Institute (API) estimated that crude oil inventories in the US rose by 1.25 million barrels in the week ending August 29. So far this year, crude oil inventories are up 8.7 million barrels. The official data from the Energy Information Agency (EIA) will be released later on Wednesday.

Also in focus is the expectation that the Federal Reserve, which meets next week, will cut U.S. interest rates. Lower rates reduce consumer borrowing costs and can boost economic growth and demand for oil.

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Economy

FG to Review Six-Month Shea Export Ban

Published

on

shea nut

By Adedapo Adesanya

The federal government has assured stakeholders in the shea value chain that it would review the export ban on shea nuts, citing concerns over its impact on local producers, exporters and foreign exchange (FX) earnings.

On August 26, 2025, President Bola Tinubu directed a six-month temporary ban on the export of raw shea nuts.

According to NAN, the Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Mrs Jumoke Oduwole, at a stakeholders’ validation session on the ban on raw shea nuts exports in Nigeria on Thursday, said the ministry would brief the president after consultations across the value chain.

The Minister, at the gathering in Abuja, said the government recognises the right of citizens to earn a living and contribute to national development, adding that all inputs from stakeholders would be carefully reviewed and consolidated.

“All inputs from stakeholders will be carefully reviewed and consolidated before a decision is made on whether the ban should be extended immediately or deferred,” the Minister said, adding that, “The ministry will provide the president with factual and balanced information to guide further action.”

Mrs Oduwole said the ministry engaged widely with stakeholders to ensure all perspectives were considered in the ongoing policy deliberations.

The ministry, she said, received formal submissions from the umbrella association and held engagement sessions attended by various industry representatives.

The minister said the submissions were reproduced and circulated at the meeting to promote transparency and shared understanding.

“Relevant departments within the ministry worked jointly on the matter, and I personally reviewed the submissions to assess our position ahead of broader consultations,” she said.

In his remarks, the Minister of Agriculture and Food Security, Mr Abubakar Kyari, said the meeting was convened to review the ban objectively, underscoring the need for verified facts and transparency.

Mr Kyari said government decisions intend to protect jobs and encourage local value addition, adding that policies should be assessed holistically based on evidence and measurable impact.

Rationalising the ban last August, the Vice President, Mr Kashim Shettima, said while Nigeria produces nearly 40 per cent of the global Shea product, it accounts for only 1 per cent of the market share of $6.5 billion.

“This is unacceptable. We are projected to earn about $300 million annually in the short term, and by 2027, there will be a 10-fold increase. This is our target,” the VP stated.

He explained that the ban was a collective decision involving the sub-nationals and the federal government with clear directions for economic transformation in the overall interest of the nation, stressing that the “government is not closing doors; we are opening opportunities.”

Continue Reading

Economy

NASD Exchange in Red for Third Straight Session After 0.15% Fall

Published

on

investors at NASD Exchange

By Adedapo Adesanya

For the third straight session, the NASD Over-the-Counter (OTC) Securities Exchange closed bearish, further losing 0.15 per cent on Thursday amid weak demand for unlisted stocks.

During the session, the NASD Unlisted Security Index (NSI) declined by 5.70 points to 3,908.67 points from 3,914.37 points, and the market capitalisation lost N3.41 billion to end N2.338 trillion compared with the N2.342 trillion it ended on Wednesday.

The alternative stock exchange suffered a loss despite having more price gainers than price losers, with five for the former and four for the latter.

Okitipupa Plc lost N10.00 to close at N250.00 per unit versus midweek’s N260.00 per unit, Central Securities Clearing System (CSCS) Plc depreciated by N4.98 to N64.92 per share from N69.90 per share, Industrial and General Insurance (IGI) Plc dropped 4 Kobo to sell at 50 Kobo per unit compared with the previous day’s 54 Kobo per unit, and Acorn Petroleum Plc moderated by 1 Kobo to N1.32 per share from N1.33 per share.

Conversely, 11 Plc gained N13.65 to quote at N276.55 per unit versus the preceding session’s N263.00 per unit, FrieslandCampina Wamco Nigeria Plc appreciated by N6.10 to N84.15 per share from N78.05 per share, Food Concepts Plc expanded by 32 Kobo to N3.60 per unit from N3.28 per unit, Geo-Fluids Plc improved by 30 Kobo to N3.60 per share from N3.30 per share, and First Trust Mortgage Bank Plc increased by 10 Kobo to N1.09 per unit from 99 Kobo per unit.

Yesterday, the volume of transactions surged 2,797.1 per cent to 45.8 million units from 1.6 million units, the value of transactions jumped 315.2 per cent to N208.2 million from N50.1 million, and the number of deals soared 18.2 per cent to 39 deals from 33 deals.

At the close of business, CSCS Plc remained the most active stock by value (year-to-date) with 32.6 million units worth N1.9 billion, followed by Geo-Fluids Plc with 117.4 million units valued at N463.1 million, and Resourcery Plc with 1.05 billion units exchanged for N408.6 million.

Resourcery Plc ended the session as the most traded stock by volume (year-to-date) with 1.05 billion units sold for N408.6 million, trailed by Geo-Fluids Plc with 117.4 million exchanged for N463.1 million, and CSCS Plc with 32.6 million units traded for N1.9 billion.

Continue Reading

Economy

Bulls Reaffirm Control of Nigeria’s Stock Exchange With 1.39% Surge

Published

on

Nigeria's stock exchange

By Dipo Olowookere

Sell-offs in energy stocks could not bring down Nigeria’s stock exchange on Thursday, as the gains recorded by the others sustained the upward momentum.

Yesterday, the Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited further appreciated by 1.39 per cent on the back of a strong appetite for domestic equities, which are gaining traction among investors.

The banking index grew by 2.63 per cent, the consumer goods sector appreciated by 054 per cent, the insurance counter improved by 0.50 per cent, and the industrial goods space rose by 0.29 per cent, while the energy industry fell by 0.11 per cent.

When the bourse closed for the day, the All-Share Index (ASI) pointed northwards by 2,645.61 points to settle at 193,073.57 points compared with the previous day’s 190,427.96 points, and the market capitalisation soared by N1.698 trillion to N123.934 trillion from N122.236 trillion.

The trio of Deap Capital, Okomu Oil, and Fortis Global Insurance appreciated by 10.00 per cent each to N6.93, N1,459.70, and 55 Kobo apiece, while the duo of Infinity Trust Insurance and Zichis gained 9.96 per cent each to settle at N14.35, and N15.79, respectively.

On the flip side, the quartet of Tripple G, Multiverse, Secure Electronic Technology, and McNichols lost 10.00 per cent each to quote at N5.40, N25.20, N1.80, and N8.28, respectively, while Meyer declined by 9.80 per cent to N20.70.

Business Post reports that there were 52 appreciating equities and 26 depreciating equities on Thursday, showing a positive market breadth index and strong investor sentiment.

The busiest stock yesterday was Japaul with 80.1 million units valued at N293.3 million, Secure Electronic Technology sold 71.8 million units worth N136.5 million, Mutual Benefits transacted 58.7 million units for N277.6 million, Zenith Bank exchanged 53.2 million units valued at N4.5 billion, and GTCO traded 52.6 million units worth N6.2 billion.

Unlike the preceding session, the activity chart was in red after market participants transacted 898.5 million shares for N38.5 billion in 61,953 deals compared with the 3.7 billion shares worth N61.9 billion traded in 68,693 deals at midweek, implying a decline in the trading volume, value, and number of deals by 75.72 per cent, 37.80 per cent, and 9.81 per cent apiece.

Continue Reading

Trending