Connect with us

Education

2017 Maltina Teacher of the Year Receives Record Entries

Published

on

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

As entries closed for this year’s Maltina Teacher of the Year, organizers of the initiative, Nigerian Breweries Plc, has said the edition attracted entries from all 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

Corporate Affairs Adviser of the Nigerian Breweries Plc, Mr Kufre Ekanem, who disclosed this last week as the panel of judges met to commence assessment of the entries, said that over 300 valid entries were received, compared to 176 received in 2016.

According to him, “all 36 states and the FCT will be up in battle for the third edition of the Maltina Teacher of the Year.”

Mr Ekanem maintained that although hundreds of entries were received, they were shortlisted and validated by the stringent project assessors after a thorough and painstaking scrutiny ahead of the assessment by the panel of judges.

The panel of Judges, chaired by Prof. Pat Utomi also includes other distinguished members of the academia and one of Nigeria’s seasoned broadcaster.

According to Mr Ekanem, “The valid entries will now be subjected to further scrutiny and thorough assessment process by the Panel of Judges to pick the State Champions.”

“From the State Champions, the 10 best entries will thereafter be invited for another round of assessment where the panel will further subject the 10 finalists to rigorous scrutiny in order to determine the Maltina Teacher of the Year for 2017.

“On October 12, 2017, the winners will be announced and celebrated at a grand event in Lagos,” he said.

Like last year, the Maltina Teacher of the Year 2017 will receive N1 million instantly, plus N1 million every year for the next five years. The package also includes a developmental training opportunity abroad and a block of classrooms built at the school where the winner teaches.

“It is our hope that through the Maltina Teacher of the Year initiative, we can inspire this nation to accord our teachers their deserved credit and bring back respect to the teaching profession in Nigeria,” Mr Ekanem stated.

The MTOTY initiative with prizes worth N50 million annually is executed on the platform of NB/Felix Ohiwerei Education Trust Fund. The Trust Fund was established in 1994, to contribute to the development of the educational sector in the country.

Over the years, the company has used the fund to assist over 20,000 students, built over 250 classrooms and 22 libraries in both primary and secondary schools across 49 communities in the country.

Modupe Gbadeyanka is a fast-rising journalist with Business Post Nigeria. Her passion for journalism is amazing. She is willing to learn more with a view to becoming one of the best pen-pushers in Nigeria. Her role models are the duo of CNN's Richard Quest and Christiane Amanpour.

Education

Egbin Power, FIPL to Host Sahara Power Academy

Published

on

Sahara Power Academy

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

A transformative initiative designed to equip young Nigerian engineers with the technical expertise and practical experience needed to drive sustainable power generation nationwide has been launched by Sahara Power Group.

This programme, known as the Sahara Power Technical and Innovation Academy (SPTIA), will be hosted by Egbin Power and First Independent Power Limited (FIPL), two of Nigeria’s leading power generation companies and members of the Sahara Power Group.

It was created as part of the company’s vision to deliver reliable and sustainable energy through a combination of infrastructure investment and human capital development, ensuring that Nigeria’s energy future is powered by both innovation and indigenous expertise.

Fifty graduate engineers will undergo a rigorous 10-month programme that combines intensive classroom learning with hands-on, on-the-job training across critical generation assets.

Participants will be exposed to real-time plant operations, maintenance systems, and industry best practices, positioning them for impactful careers in the power sector.

A strong emphasis will also be placed on safety as a core pillar of the academy.  The trainees will undergo mandatory safety modules covering industry standards and safe work practices, complemented by practical, scenario-based sessions.

This approach is designed to instil a safety-first culture and ensure that all participants are equipped to operate confidently and responsibly beyond compliance within the Plant environment.

At the end of the programme, top-performing trainees will be deployed across Sahara Power Group’s businesses, including Egbin Power, FIPL, and upstream operations, while others will be released into the broader Nigerian electricity labour market as part of the Group’s commitment to strengthening sector-wide capacity.

The Managing Director of Sahara Power Group, Mr Kola Adesina, said the initiative represents a deliberate investment in Nigeria’s future and a strategic response to the sector’s talent needs.

“We are committed to powering Nigeria not just through infrastructure, but through people. This academy reflects our belief that the future of sustainable energy delivery must be driven by skilled, young professionals who understand the local operating environment,” he stated.

“Egbin Power and FIPL provide the ideal platforms for this initiative, given their track record of operational excellence and technical depth. By leveraging these assets, we are creating a pipeline of engineers who are not only technically sound but also industry-ready from the outset,” he added.

Mr Adesina further charged the trainees to work as a team and ensure that the training programme brings out problem-solving skills that will enable them to contribute to human development and the progress of the power sector.

“We are here to truly and responsibly make a difference. We are here to look around our environment, and we are curious enough to see how we can make things better. We believe you are to make things better and add value to the sector,” he said.

Continue Reading

Education

Conference on Investing in Boys for Stronger Families, Communities Holds in Ibadan

Published

on

Boys Aid Network

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

A conference with the theme Flourish and Thrive: Investing in Boys for Stronger Families and Communities will take place at the Local Government Training School, Secretariat, Agodi, Ibadan, Oyo State, on Thursday, May 14, 2026.

The programme, in its second edition, is part of activities lined up to mark the 2026 International Boys’ Day Conference. It is being put in place by Boys Aid Network to confront a question many institutions have quietly ignored: Who is intentionally preparing the next generation of boys for the realities of leadership, responsibility, and manhood?

Expected to grace the occasion are educators, mentors, advocates, parents, and students.

The speakers include Jesudamilare Adesegun-David, Co-founder of Enovate Lab; Samson Folarin, Editor of Punch Newspaper Weekend Titles; Oluseye Joseph, Founder of EnterpriseCEO; Barrister Dotun Akinsanmi, Managing Partner at Dotun Akinsanmi LP; and media personality, Folakemi Arowolo, popularly known as Folakemi Mighty.

The convener, Barrister Olufunke Oyinlola, described the initiative as a deliberate effort to create safe and transformational spaces for boys to learn, reflect, and engage in meaningful conversations about their future.

“Too many boys are growing up without guidance, without safe spaces to express themselves, and without people intentionally helping them navigate the realities of life. This conference is our response to that challenge. We want boys to know that they are seen, valued, and capable of becoming responsible men who positively influence their families and communities,” she stated.

She added that the conference is ultimately about helping boys see possibilities differently and exposing them to conversations that can shape their confidence, choices, and sense of purpose.

More than 300 secondary school boys from across Oyo State are expected to participate in the event, which is organised in partnership with the Oyo State Ministry of Education, Science and Technology. The programme will combine keynote sessions, mentorship conversations, interactive learning, and a spelling bee competition aimed at boosting confidence and intellectual engagement.

Continue Reading

Education

Nollywood Star Alex Ekubo Dies

Published

on

Alex Ekubo

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

A popular Nigerian actor, Alex Ekubo, has reportedly passed away after a protracted illness.

According to reports, the movie star died after a battle with cancer, which kept him away from public glare and social media.

Last year, some of his fans expressed concerns over his sudden absence from social media, asking about his whereabouts.

On Tuesday evening, news about his demise flooded the blogosphere.

One of the sympathisers, Peter Okoye of the P-Square fame, wrote a Rest in Peace on the Nollywood star’s picture on X, formerly known as Twitter, confirming his death.

Several personalities and others have also expressed shock over the passing of the 40-year-old entertainer, who dazzled many with his acting skills.

During his lifetime, Alex Ekubo, who was said to have died of cancer, won several awards.

Continue Reading

Trending