Connect with us

Education

JAMB to Review 2025 UTME Results Amid Looming Lawsuit, Public Outcry

Published

on

JAMB Registrar Ishaq-Oloyede

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has ordered an immediate review of the 2025 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) following public outcry over technical glitches and threats of lawsuits.

The board, in a statement issued by its Public Communication Advisor, Mr Fabian Benjamin, acknowledged what it described as an “unusual volume of complaints” since the release of the UTME results last Friday.

Last week, JAMB announced that over 1.5 million out of the 1.9 million candidates that sat for the 2025 exercise scored below 200 out of the total 400 marks.

It said the development had prompted it to fast-track its annual post-examination review process, which typically takes place months after the exercise.

“We are particularly concerned about the unusual complaints originating from a few states within the federation. We are currently scrutinising these complaints in detail to identify and rectify any potential technical issues,” the statement read.

The spokesperson explained that the annual review covers three stages of the UTME cycle—registration, examination, and result release, adding that if any faults are found in the system, JAMB would not hesitate to implement “appropriate remedial measures.”

“To assist in this process, we have engaged a number of experts, including members from the Computer Professionals Association of Nigeria, Chief External Examiners, who are heads of tertiary institutions, the Educational Assessment and Research Network in Africa, measurement experts, and Vice Chancellors from various institutions,” he said.

The exam board noted that “If it is determined that there were indeed glitches, we will implement appropriate remedial measures promptly, as we do in the case of the examinations themselves.”

This development comes amid reports that thousands of candidates are preparing to file a class-action lawsuit against the Board over the alleged irregularities that led to mass failure.

The chief executive of Educare, Mr Alex Onyia, has commenced legal proceeding with almost 9,000 affected students by the issue on board, saying the demand is for JAMB to show students their mark sheets to view their results and enforce more transparency.

Many claim they encountered technical malfunctions and inconsistent question displays during the examination and this has sparked conversation on social media

In reaction, the Minister of Education, Mr Tunji Alausa, attributed the mass failure to the efficacy of JAMB’s anti-malpractice technology.

He defended the results, stating that the board’s computer-based testing system “had made cheating nearly impossible” and should be extended to other national examinations such as WAEC and NECO.

JAMB Registrar, Mr Ishaq Oloyede, also dismissed claims that the 2025 results were unprecedented, pointing out that similar performance trends have been recorded in previous years.

Despite the registrar’s defence, pressure continues to mount on the Board, with widespread calls for transparency and fairness in the marking and result collation processes.

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

Tinubu Appoints 39-Year-Old Prof Segun Aina as New JAMB Registrar

Published

on

prof segun aina JAMB

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

Professor Segun Aina has been appointed to replace Professor Is-haq Oloyede as the Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB). The two-term tenure of his successor expires on July 31, 2026.

Mr Aina was chosen for the position by President Bola Tinubu, and he is expected to bring to bear his vast experience, knowledge and practical insight into the operations of the board, to take the critical educational organisation beyond the laudable heights achieved by his predecessor.

According to a statement on Thursday by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Mr Bayo Onanuga, Professor Aina, who will be 40 in July, is a distinguished academic and systems expert with extensive experience in national examination systems, digital infrastructure, and public-sector institutional reform.

He holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Systems Engineering from the University of Kent, an MSc in Internet Computing and Network Security, and a PhD in Digital Signal Processing, both from Loughborough University, United Kingdom. He has also completed the Senior Management Programme at Lagos Business School.

A Professor of Computer Engineering at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Mr Aina began his career with JAMB during his National Youth Service, gaining foundational experience in national admissions and data-driven institutional processes. These insights have shaped his ongoing contributions to examination reform and systems optimisation.

With over 15 years of post-graduation experience, Professor Aina operates at the intersection of technology, policy, and institutional transformation, advising federal and state governments on system design, digital transition, and operational reform. At 39, he became one of Nigeria’s youngest Computer Engineering professors and will now make history as JAMB’s youngest registrar.

He has served as a consultant to major examination bodies, including NECO, NABTEB, and various State Ministries of Education, providing expertise on ICT systems, examination integrity, and digital process optimisation.

Professor Aina is a member of several professional bodies, including the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN), the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE), the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), and the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).

Continue Reading

Education

Egbin Power, FIPL to Host Sahara Power Academy

Published

on

Sahara Power Academy

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

A transformative initiative designed to equip young Nigerian engineers with the technical expertise and practical experience needed to drive sustainable power generation nationwide has been launched by Sahara Power Group.

This programme, known as the Sahara Power Technical and Innovation Academy (SPTIA), will be hosted by Egbin Power and First Independent Power Limited (FIPL), two of Nigeria’s leading power generation companies and members of the Sahara Power Group.

It was created as part of the company’s vision to deliver reliable and sustainable energy through a combination of infrastructure investment and human capital development, ensuring that Nigeria’s energy future is powered by both innovation and indigenous expertise.

Fifty graduate engineers will undergo a rigorous 10-month programme that combines intensive classroom learning with hands-on, on-the-job training across critical generation assets.

Participants will be exposed to real-time plant operations, maintenance systems, and industry best practices, positioning them for impactful careers in the power sector.

A strong emphasis will also be placed on safety as a core pillar of the academy.  The trainees will undergo mandatory safety modules covering industry standards and safe work practices, complemented by practical, scenario-based sessions.

This approach is designed to instil a safety-first culture and ensure that all participants are equipped to operate confidently and responsibly beyond compliance within the Plant environment.

At the end of the programme, top-performing trainees will be deployed across Sahara Power Group’s businesses, including Egbin Power, FIPL, and upstream operations, while others will be released into the broader Nigerian electricity labour market as part of the Group’s commitment to strengthening sector-wide capacity.

The Managing Director of Sahara Power Group, Mr Kola Adesina, said the initiative represents a deliberate investment in Nigeria’s future and a strategic response to the sector’s talent needs.

“We are committed to powering Nigeria not just through infrastructure, but through people. This academy reflects our belief that the future of sustainable energy delivery must be driven by skilled, young professionals who understand the local operating environment,” he stated.

“Egbin Power and FIPL provide the ideal platforms for this initiative, given their track record of operational excellence and technical depth. By leveraging these assets, we are creating a pipeline of engineers who are not only technically sound but also industry-ready from the outset,” he added.

Mr Adesina further charged the trainees to work as a team and ensure that the training programme brings out problem-solving skills that will enable them to contribute to human development and the progress of the power sector.

“We are here to truly and responsibly make a difference. We are here to look around our environment, and we are curious enough to see how we can make things better. We believe you are to make things better and add value to the sector,” he said.

Continue Reading

Education

Conference on Investing in Boys for Stronger Families, Communities Holds in Ibadan

Published

on

Boys Aid Network

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

A conference with the theme Flourish and Thrive: Investing in Boys for Stronger Families and Communities will take place at the Local Government Training School, Secretariat, Agodi, Ibadan, Oyo State, on Thursday, May 14, 2026.

The programme, in its second edition, is part of activities lined up to mark the 2026 International Boys’ Day Conference. It is being put in place by Boys Aid Network to confront a question many institutions have quietly ignored: Who is intentionally preparing the next generation of boys for the realities of leadership, responsibility, and manhood?

Expected to grace the occasion are educators, mentors, advocates, parents, and students.

The speakers include Jesudamilare Adesegun-David, Co-founder of Enovate Lab; Samson Folarin, Editor of Punch Newspaper Weekend Titles; Oluseye Joseph, Founder of EnterpriseCEO; Barrister Dotun Akinsanmi, Managing Partner at Dotun Akinsanmi LP; and media personality, Folakemi Arowolo, popularly known as Folakemi Mighty.

The convener, Barrister Olufunke Oyinlola, described the initiative as a deliberate effort to create safe and transformational spaces for boys to learn, reflect, and engage in meaningful conversations about their future.

“Too many boys are growing up without guidance, without safe spaces to express themselves, and without people intentionally helping them navigate the realities of life. This conference is our response to that challenge. We want boys to know that they are seen, valued, and capable of becoming responsible men who positively influence their families and communities,” she stated.

She added that the conference is ultimately about helping boys see possibilities differently and exposing them to conversations that can shape their confidence, choices, and sense of purpose.

More than 300 secondary school boys from across Oyo State are expected to participate in the event, which is organised in partnership with the Oyo State Ministry of Education, Science and Technology. The programme will combine keynote sessions, mentorship conversations, interactive learning, and a spelling bee competition aimed at boosting confidence and intellectual engagement.

Continue Reading

Trending