General
Child Custody: Court Orders Arrest of Mike Adenuga’s Son
By Dipo Olowookere
The battle for the custody of a child between Mr Eniola Adenuga, son of Globacom owner, Mr Mike Adenuga, and the mother of his child, Damilola, has taken a new twist.
According to report, a Tinubu Chief Magistrate’s Court sitting in Lagos has ordered the arrest of the younger Mr Adenuga for refusing to give the custody of his child, Anthena, to the mother.
Punch reports that the chief magistrate, Mr T.A. Elias, in a ruling on Thursday, August 16, 2018, said the 28-year-old was in contempt of court, saying Eniola should be arrested until he gives “full custody of the subject (Anthena) to the respondent (Damilola).”
Eniola and Damilola dated during which the 25-year-old became pregnant and had the child and disagreement allegedly broke out between the duo and their families, resulting in a legal battle for the custody of the child.
Punch had reported that in September 2017, a Tinubu Magistrate’s Court gave an interim order which awarded the custody of the child to the mother.
While Eniola was given unrestricted access to the child, he was, however, asked to pick her every Friday and return her to the mother on Sunday.
The arrangement was said to have been running smoothly until May 18, 2018, when the father, in company with two policemen, allegedly took Athena from school and failed to return her to the mother.
The Falana & Falana Chambers had written a petition to the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Edgal Imohimi, accusing Eniola of abduction.
Mrs Funmi Falana, on behalf of her client, filed an ex parte application on May 25, 2018, seeking the release of the child to the mother.
She said Damilola had been traumatised by the incident, adding that she was afraid for the child’s safety.
The application was granted by a magistrate, Mrs M.R. Osho-Adebiyi, who ordered Eniola to produce the child.
He was further ordered to appear before the court to explain why he should not be charged for contempt of court.
However, Eniola’s lawyer, Victor Amalu, filed a motion on notice on August 7, 2018, praying for a stay of execution of the order.
Amalu also asked that the contempt of court application be set aside.
He said it was not right for orders to be given when Eniola was not represented to defend himself.
Eniola’s application was, however, countered by Falana, who said Eniola was taking the court for granted.
The chief magistrate, Elias, overruled Amalu’s objections, describing the “modus operandi” used by Eniola as “appalling.”
He said, “The applicant (Eniola) on May 18, 2018, in company with some armed mobile policemen, went to Athena’s school and forcefully took her away contrary to the order of court dated September 20, 2017, granting custody to the respondent and access every fortnight from Friday to Sunday to the applicant. As there is no order of court validating this act, it amounts to taking law into his own hand and this on its own attracts sanction which should be expected.
“As the best interest of the child shall be primary consideration, this honourable family court is satisfied with the applicant application….”
The chief magistrate, citing Section 64 of the Lagos State Child Right Law, 2007, gave full custody of the child to the mother till she was 18 years old.
He also gave Eniola “supervised” access to the child, adding that he could only see her every fortnight.
Elias advised the parents to take the child’s welfare seriously and put her development and progress first.
“The continuous refusal of the applicant to produce the subject in court amounts to contempt; bench warrant is accordingly ordered for any police officers to effect his arrest until he purges himself of contempt and gives full custody of the subject to the respondent,” he added.
When our correspondent reached out to Eniola for his reaction to the ruling, he asked for some time to call back.
A lawyer, who claimed to be representing him, Abimbola Eniola, sent our correspondent a Lagos State High Court bench ruling, dated August 17, 2018.
The document showed Eniola as the applicant, while the chief magistrate, Elias, and Damilola, were respondents.
The ruling, signed by Justice E.O. Ogundare, said Amalu’s prayers for stay of execution were meritorious.
It said, “This is an application by way of motion ex parte dated August 6, 2018, praying for the following reliefs.
“1. An order granting the applicant leave to apply for judicial review by way of an order of certiorari to remove the purpose of quashing (a) the ex parte order made on May 28, 2018 in suit no. FCL/10/2016 – Eniola Adenuga vs Damilola Oguns (b) the directive of the 1st respondent at the proceedings of July 25, 2018, directing the applicant to comply with the ex parte made on May 28, 2018, in neglect of an application dated July 5, 2018, seeking to set aside the ex parte order on grounds of nullity and irregularity.
“An order staying execution, further execution or action, enforcement or howsoever giving effect in any manner whatsoever to the ex parte order made on May 28, 2018 in suit no. FCL/10/2016 pending the hearing and determination of applicant’s instant application seeking judicial review of the orders and proceedings in this suit.
“An order staying further proceedings in suit no FCL/10/2016 pending the hearing and determination of the applicant’s pending application, dated and filed on July 5, 2018, seeking to set aside the ex parte order made in the suit on May 28, 2018.
“And for such further orders as this honourable court may deem fit to make in the circumstance.”
Ogundare said after considering Amalu’s applications, facts, exhibits and arguments, the reliefs had merit and were granted.
General
DAPPMAN Faults Dangote’s Suit to Halt Fuel Imports
By Adedapo Adesanya
The Depot and Petroleum Products Marketers Association of Nigeria (DAPPMAN) has kicked against a lawsuit filed by the Dangote Petroleum Refinery to invalidate fuel import licences issued by the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA).
Last week, the refinery asked the Federal High Court in Lagos to void import permits granted by the NMDPRA to fuel importers.
The marketers said it would not fold its arms and allow its depots to go into extinction through a court ruling, arguing that the licences being challenged were not mere administrative favours but legal instruments issued under the PIA to guarantee the country’s fuel supply security.
The development followed the recently issued import license by the NMDPRA to six Nigerian oil marketers to bring in over 600,000 metric tonnes of petrol into the country.
Since the 650,000 barrels-per-day refinery began supplying petroleum products to the local market, Dangote has repeatedly argued that continued issuance of fuel import licences to marketers undermines domestic refining, weakens investment incentives, and encourages dependence on imported products despite existing local capacity.
The refinery already handles 90 per cent of the domestic supply.
In the statement, the marketers maintained that the NMDPRA acted within its statutory powers in approving the licences, stressing that the regulator’s responsibility was to ensure uninterrupted product availability for Nigerian consumers and not to protect the commercial interests of any single refinery, regardless of its size.
The association stated that its members had invested billions of naira in petroleum depots, logistics systems, and compliance infrastructure based on the understanding that the licences granted to them were lawful, valid, and protected under the law.
According to the marketers, any attempt to retroactively void those approvals would create uncertainty across the downstream petroleum sector at a time when stability in fuel supply remains critical.
“The news that Dangote Petroleum Refinery has filed a fresh lawsuit seeking to set aside fuel import licences issued by the NMDPRA to marketers and the NNPC demands a clear response from this association.
“The import licences at the centre of this lawsuit are not administrative courtesies. They are the legal instruments through which Nigeria’s fuel supply chain functions. They were issued under a regulatory framework established by the Petroleum Industry Act, by an authority empowered to make exactly this kind of determination. The NMDPRA has consistently maintained, correctly, that these licences exist to protect supply security, not to disadvantage any single producer, however large.
“DAPPMAN’s member companies have invested billions of naira in depot infrastructure, logistics networks, and compliance systems on the basis that their operating licences are valid, lawful, and durable. A legal action designed to retroactively void those licences does not just affect individual businesses, it introduces uncertainty into the entire downstream supply chain at a moment when Nigeria can least afford it,” the association maintained.
It added that the NMDPRA had consistently defended the issuance of import permits as necessary tools for safeguarding national supply, insisting that the position had previously been upheld in court and should continue to stand.
DAPPMAN rejected what it described as the underlying argument that a private refinery’s commercial interests should supersede the statutory mandate of the regulator.
It further warned against any attempt to turn Nigeria’s downstream petroleum industry into a monopoly, arguing that the market had evolved over many years into a multi-player system serving millions of Nigerians daily.
The association disclosed that it would engage legal counsel, work with affected member companies, and make formal representations to the relevant authorities over the matter.
“We respect Dangote Petroleum Refinery’s right to pursue legal remedies. What we do not accept is the premise that a private refinery’s commercial interests should override a regulatory authority’s mandate to ensure adequate supply to Nigerian consumers.
“The PIA is clear: import licences may be issued where the regulator determines it necessary. That determination has been made. It has been defended in court before. It should be defended again.
“Nigeria’s fuel market is not a monopoly waiting to happen. It is a competitive, multi-participant market that has taken years to build and that serves millions of Nigerians every day. DAPPMAN will be engaging legal counsel, coordinating with affected member companies, and making formal representations to the relevant authorities on this matter,” the statement added.
The group argued that the strength of Nigeria’s downstream sector lies in the participation of multiple operators, warning that efforts aimed at shrinking the number of market participants would ultimately hurt consumers through reduced competition and supply vulnerabilities.
According to DAPPMAN, “A lawsuit that seeks to reduce that field of players is ultimately a lawsuit against Nigerian consumers,” adding, “Our members did not build this industry to watch it be argued out of existence in a courtroom,” emphasising its commitment to continually serve Nigerians.
General
Lolu Akinwunmi, Iquo Ukoh to Co-chair 2026 CMO Circle
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
The duo of Lolu Akinwunmi and Iquo Ukoh will co-chair the 2026 Chief Marketing Officers Circle (CMO Circle), slated for June 5, 2026, with the theme The C-Suite Mandate: Talent Density and Marketing Leadership.
The invitation-only forum for CMOs and senior marketing leaders will bring together the most influential voices in marketing to shape strategy at the highest levels of business and public policy.
As Co-Chairs, Akinwunmi and Ukoh will curate and lead high-level discussions focused on innovation, talent density, enterprise growth, and the expanding mandate of the CMO within the C-suite. Their stewardship reinforces the Circle’s role as a convening authority—one that not only reflects industry thinking but actively defines it.
Akinwunmi, Group CEO of Prima Garnet (Ogilvy Nigeria), brings decades of experience advising leading national and multinational brands, alongside a distinguished record of industry leadership.
Ukoh, Chief Executive Officer of Entod Marketing and former Director of Marketing Services at Nestlé Nigeria, is widely regarded for her leadership in brand strategy, consumer engagement, and cultural storytelling.
Convened by MarkHack in partnership with StatiSense and Brand Communicator, the CMO Circle operates at the intersection of enterprise leadership and national development. Beyond dialogue, the Circle institutionalises its influence through the quarterly CMO Index. This flagship publication aggregates executive sentiment, market intelligence, and forward-looking insights to inform policy conversations and economic decision-making. In doing so, the Circle positions marketing leadership as a critical voice in shaping Nigeria’s business environment and policy direction.
“The CMO Circle is intentionally designed as a premium, outcomes-driven platform—one that moves marketing leadership beyond the boardroom into the sphere of policy influence.
“With Iquo Ukoh and Lolu Akinwunmi as Co-Chairs, we are setting a clear tone of authority, depth, and relevance. Through the CMO Index and our quarterly convenings, the Circle will play a defining role in shaping both industry direction and policy dialogue,” the convener of CMO Circle, Mr Victor ’Gbenga Afolabi, stated.
General
Court Grants El-Rufai N100m Bail in DSS Case
By Adedapo Adesanya
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court in Abuja has granted bail to former Kaduna State Governor, Mr Nasir El-Rufai, in the sum of N100 million with one surety in like sum.
Delivering the ruling, Justice Abdulmalik imposed a series of stringent conditions that the defendant must meet before perfecting the bail.
The court held that the proposed surety must reside in either the Maitama or Asokoro districts of Abuja and must deposit the original Certificate of Occupancy (C-of-O) of a landed property at the court registry.
The surety is also required to be a federal civil servant not below Grade Level 17 and must provide evidence of salary payments for at least three months, authenticated by a letter from the manager of a bank within the jurisdiction of the court.
The court further ordered the surety to depose to an affidavit of means, enter into a bail bond, and submit a recent passport photograph to the court registry.
As part of the bail conditions, Mr El-Rufai is to deposit all valid international passports with the court registry.
The court also directed that a verification letter from the surety’s immediate department be submitted, alongside a tax clearance certificate covering the last six months.
Justice Abdulmalik further ordered the defendant to report to the headquarters of the Department of State Services every last Friday of the month by 10 a.m. to sign an attendance register pending the determination of the case.
The judge warned that failure to comply with the conditions would lead to an automatic revocation of the bail.
The court additionally directed the defendant to submit a letter of attestation from the Chairman of the Kaduna Traditional Council.
This comes a month after a Kaduna Court granted bail to the former Minister in a corruption case filed by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) over charges related to alleged corruption and abuse of office during his tenure in the North-Western state from 2015 to 2023.
He was alleged to have abused his office and to have intended to commit fraud and confer undue advantage, which were alleged against the opposition politician.
-
Feature/OPED6 years agoDavos was Different this year
-
Travel/Tourism10 years ago
Lagos Seals Western Lodge Hotel In Ikorodu
-
Showbiz3 years agoEstranged Lover Releases Videos of Empress Njamah Bathing
-
Banking8 years agoSort Codes of GTBank Branches in Nigeria
-
Economy3 years agoSubsidy Removal: CNG at N130 Per Litre Cheaper Than Petrol—IPMAN
-
Banking3 years agoSort Codes of UBA Branches in Nigeria
-
Banking3 years agoFirst Bank Announces Planned Downtime
-
Sports3 years agoHighest Paid Nigerian Footballer – How Much Do Nigerian Footballers Earn
