General
East-West Road: FG Suspends Reconstruction on Eleme Section
By Adedapo Adesanya
The Minister of Works, Mr David Umahi, has ordered the immediate stoppage of the ongoing reconstruction of the Eleme section of the East-West road in Rivers State over the alleged sharp practices of the contractor handling the project.
Mr Umahi gave the order during a project inspection of the East-West road in Port-Harcourt on Saturday.
The Minister, who was accompanied by Mr Barry Mpigi, the Senator representing Rivers South-East, further said the project should stop pending when some irregularities he observed in the project are resolved.
He revealed that the contractor, Reynolds Construction Company (RCC), had been paid N33 billion and the Federal Ministry of Works under his watch will not tolerate any attempt to shortchange the country.
Recall that last year, the federal government mobilized RCC to start construction on the road right away.
However, during the Minister’s project inspection of the East-West Road in Port Harcourt on Saturday, January 27, works were ordered to be suspended.
The Minister disclosed that RCC has received N33 billion, and he said that any attempt to undervalue the nation will not be tolerated by the Federal Ministry of Works, which is under his direction.
Mr Umahi had in September 2023, disclosed that the federal government has committed N33 billion to the contractor to commence work on the Eleme-Onne section of the East-West Road in Rivers State, explaining that the project became a necessary mandate after Rivers State Governor, Mr Siminalayi Fubara and the Minister of FCT, Mr Nyesom Wike, visited the president on the matter.
Meanwhile, the Minister had also in September passed a vote of no confidence on the construction work done on the East-West Road in Bayelsa/Rivers states in the Niger Delta region of the country.
Mr Umahi pointed out the poor construction job being done on the road, put a stop to the work, and called for a review of the road plan.
He insisted that Nigerians must get a value for the billions of naira spent on the job.
General
PenCom Proposes Full Salary Pension for Retired Police Officers
By Adedapo Adesanya
The National Pension Commission (PenCom) has proposed a sweeping reform of retirement benefits for officers of the Nigeria Police Force under the Contributory Pension Scheme (CPS), including lifetime monthly pensions equivalent to 100 per cent of their final salary and a gratuity of 200 per cent of their annual emoluments upon retirement.
According to the Leadership newspaper, the measure is part of federal government efforts to address persistent agitation from retired police personnel who say CPS payouts are inadequate.
The reform will see retired police officers receive a monthly pension equivalent to 100 per cent of their final salary for life and gratuity payments amounting to 200 per cent of annual emoluments, benefits that many officers have been clamouring for years.
According to the newspaper, retirees under the scheme have raised concerns over poor pension payouts, with some saying they receive as little as N30,000 to N80,000 monthly, while also lamenting the inadequacy of their lump-sum retirement benefits.
Some other recommendations include increasing active officers’ monthly pension contribution for serving police officers from the current 10 to 20 per cent, while employee contributions will remain at 8 per cent.
The new arrangement, which includes a monthly pension equivalent to an officer’s last salary and increased gratuity benefits, is expected to strengthen financial security for retired personnel and boost the morale of officers still in active service.
The measure is expected to significantly improve Retirement Savings Account (RSA) balances, enhance pension payouts, and strengthen the long-term sustainability of the pension structure.
If approved by President Bola Tinubu, the augmentation plan for police personnel will reflect the government’s recognition of the police’s critical role in maintaining national security and public order, as well as the need to ensure officers’ dignity and stability after retirement.
Police pensioners who have been protesting against the CPS insisted that the scheme, which requires both employers and employees to contribute monthly into Retirement Savings Accounts (RSAs) managed by Pension Fund Administrators (PFAs), has worsened their welfare.
General
Yemisi Shyllon Museum of Art Plans Training for Media Practitioners
By Aduragbemi Omiyale
The Yemisi Shyllon Museum of Art is organising a two-day training for media practitioners in the art and culture segment.
The programme is scheduled for June 10 and 11, 2026, at the museum, located at the Pan-Atlantic University, Lagos.
The theme of the event is New Narratives & Singular Communication in Arts Journalism: The Museo del Prado Experience.
The training is being put together to enable participants to refine their storytelling and reporting skills in arts journalism; learn audience-focused, ethical, and impactful communication techniques; gain fresh perspectives on media engagement in the creative sector; and connect with peers and build valuable professional networks.
To be part of this initiative, journalists are required to apply through this link on or before May 25, 2026, as spaces are limited, and only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
The organisers said this specialised workshop offers a rare opportunity to learn directly from one of the world’s leading museum communication teams. The programme will be led by a highly respected and accomplished expert from the Prado Museum, bringing global insights and practical strategies to the Nigerian arts journalism landscape.
“At YSMA, we are excited to bring this opportunity to the Nigerian media community and to support the growth of thoughtful, innovative, and globally relevant arts journalism.
We encourage you to also share this opportunity with colleagues and peers who are passionate about covering arts and culture,” a notice from the organisation signed by its Head of Corporate Communications and Visitors’ Services, Mr Solomon Nkwagu, stated.
General
Tinubu Confirms Killing of Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki by Nigerian, US Forces
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
President Bola Tinubu on Saturday confirmed the killing of a senior ISIS leader, Mr Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki, in an overnight operation carried out by the United States and Nigeria.
President Donald Trump had earlier announced the elimination of the notorious terrorist via a post on his Truth Social.
Later, in a statement today, Mr Tinubu praised the action, describing it as “a significant example of effective collaboration in the fight against terrorism.”
“Our determined Nigerian Armed Forces, working closely with the Armed Forces of the United States, conducted a daring joint operation that dealt a heavy blow to the ranks of the Islamic State,” he said in the statement.
According to him, early assessments confirm the elimination of the wanted IS senior leader, Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki, also known as Abu-Mainok, along with several of his lieutenants, during a strike on his compound in the Lake Chad Basin.
He commended the partnership between Nigeria and America in waging war against terrorists, thanking his US counterpart “for his leadership and unwavering support in this effort.”
“I commend the personnel involved on both sides for their professionalism and courage, and I look forward to more decisive strikes against all terrorist enclaves across the nation,” the Nigerian leader added.
-
Feature/OPED6 years agoDavos was Different this year
-
Travel/Tourism10 years ago
Lagos Seals Western Lodge Hotel In Ikorodu
-
Showbiz3 years agoEstranged Lover Releases Videos of Empress Njamah Bathing
-
Banking8 years agoSort Codes of GTBank Branches in Nigeria
-
Economy3 years agoSubsidy Removal: CNG at N130 Per Litre Cheaper Than Petrol—IPMAN
-
Banking3 years agoSort Codes of UBA Branches in Nigeria
-
Banking3 years agoFirst Bank Announces Planned Downtime
-
Sports3 years agoHighest Paid Nigerian Footballer – How Much Do Nigerian Footballers Earn
