By Adedapo Adesanya
The management of Enugu Electricity Distribution Company (EEDC) has said with effect from February 1, 2020, it will no longer accept cash payment from its customers for electricity bills above N3,000.
Head of Communication of the disco, Mr Emeka Ezeh, said in a statement on Wednesday that this policy was in line with the cashless policy in the collection of electricity tariffs.
“With effect from 1st of February, 2020, electricity customers under the Enugu Electricity Distribution Plc (EEDC), making payments above N3,000 can no longer do so in cash. They are expected to pay using the electronic and other alternative payment channels available to them,” the statement said.
It further added, “The move by the organization is in compliance with the recent cashless policy initiative introduced by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
“The electronic and other alternative payment channels to include: Point of Sale (PoS, using ATM cards), Energy Pay, Any Bank outlet, Collection Agents.”
According to Mr Ezeh, the collection agents are also present in rural communities and can also be found in all locations across EEDC franchise area.
He urged customers to pay their electricity bills because it was the only way the sector can be efficient and be in a position to deliver improved electricity supply.
The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) had ordered the 11 electricity distribution companies (DisCos) to migrate their customers to electronic platforms for the payment of energy bills across the country last year.
In the directive – Order Number 183, signed by the NERC Chairman, Mr James Momoh, it was stated that compliance with the cashless policy directive was issued by the Federal Government and was to take effect on January 2, 2020.
Accordingly, the transition of DisCos from direct cash settlement of bills to cashless settlement platforms will help reduce collection leakages and losses and improve overall revenue remitted into the nation’s purse.
LASEMA Combs Collapsed Lagos Island Building for Survivors
By Aduragbemi Omiyale
The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) has commenced search operations in the 3-storey building that collapsed on Saturday in Lagos Island.
The agency is combing the debris of the property for survivors. Already, two adult males have been rescued in the rubbles of the collapsed Lagos Island building located at 4, Alayaki Lane, Lagos Island.
The house caved in today during the heavy rainfall and trapped some occupants.
The two rescued persons have been given pre-medical treatment by the agency’s paramedics, while two corpses recovered from the debris have been handed over to the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit (SEHMU) for onward transfer to the morgue.
A statement signed by the Permanent Secretary LASEMA, Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, claimed that the building was already in violation of safety protocols and had been captured by the Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA) District Office and served with all statutory notices, sealed at District and Central Enforcement Level, but the developer had continued clandestine operations mostly at nights and at weekends.
It was gathered that Dr Oke-Osanyintolu is in charge of the search and rescue operations, which are still ongoing as an unconfirmed number of people are trapped in the rubbles.
IPMAN May Halt Fuel Distribution to Sokoto, Kebbi, Others
By Adedapo Adesanya
The Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN), Gusau Depot, has threatened to stop transporting petroleum products within Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara and parts of Katsina state.
According to the IPMAN’s Zonal Chairman, Mr Yahya Kamba, the threat came following the federal government’s failure to settle its N40 billion outstanding payment to IPMAN members.
According to Mr Kamba, the payment is based on importation and transportation claims of up to 11 months.
He said the federal government has reneged on the agreement reached with the association.
“It is not a subsidy,” Mr Kamba said, explaining that. “It is money that we marketers contributed. We have to pay a certain amount for every litre we purchase from the government. Just for the country to have a uniform pump price.”
“We contributed this money just the way pensioners contribute their own. So, there is no reason anyone can give us to say they have no money. We are asking for our own contribution.
“Our arrangement is for the Ministry to pay us every week; when you transport this product, you are supposed to be paid within a week; but now we are counting months. We have counted up to 11 months. The payment has stopped since June 2021,” he added.
Amid the recent fuel shortage that rocked Abuja, the marketers had claimed that there was no money to buy the product until the federal government pays the claims and also assist in allocating a cargo of AGO to hasten loading from various loading depots.
EFCC Questions Ex-NDDC Boss Nsima Ekere Over N47bn Fraud
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
The former Managing Director of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Mr Nsima Ekere, has been grilled by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
The former NDDC boss was at the Lagos office of the agency on Wednesday to honour an invitation to him to answer questions surrounding an alleged fraud to the tune of N47 billion.
In 2016, a year after losing the governorship primary election of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in Akwa Ibom State to Governor Udom Emmanuel, he was appointed as the MD of the commission.
He left office in 2018 to concentrate on his ambition to rule his home state and contested the gubernatorial poll in 2019 under the All Progressives Congress (APC) and lost again to Mr Emmanuel.
In 2019, President Muhammadu Buhari ordered a forensic audit of the NDDC from 2001 to 2019 and the report of the exercise, according to the former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Mr Godswill Akpabio, said several frauds were uncovered.
The EFCC, reports said, has been trailing Mr Ekere and yesterday, he turned himself in and he was questioned on the allegations of contract inflation and award of fictitious contracts while in office.
This development is coming two days after the anti-money laundering organisation arrested the Accountant General of the Federation (AGF), Mr Ahmed Idris, over allegations of diversion of N80 billion.
He was suspended yesterday by the Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Mrs Zainah Ahmed, to enable a transparent investigation into the matter.
Also, a former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mrs Patricia Etteh, was apprehended on Tuesday by the agency over allegations of diversion of funds for projects.
Latest News on Business Post
- LuTA Digital School to Revolutionise Education System in Africa May 21, 2022
- LASEMA Combs Collapsed Lagos Island Building for Survivors May 21, 2022
- B2B Platforms Facilitate Faster Distribution for FMCG Manufacturers May 21, 2022
- Why People Play Casino Poker May 21, 2022
- Highest Paid Nigerian Footballer – How Much Do Nigerian Footballers Earn May 21, 2022
- AfDB Board Okays $1.5bn to Avert Food Crisis in Africa May 21, 2022
- Football and Online Betting May 21, 2022
- Naira Sells N419.02/$ at Spot Market, N615/$ at P2P May 21, 2022
- FrieslandCampina, Capital Bancorp Chop Off N20.61bn from NASD May 21, 2022
- Oil Market Bullish as Supply Risks Outweigh Demand Worries May 21, 2022