Connect with us

General

FG Revokes 3,794 Mining Licences in Two Years

Published

on

Kaolin mining

By Adedapo Adesanya

Nigeria has revoked 3,794 mining licences since the inception of President Bola Tinubu administration in May 2023.

This is as the Minster of Solid Minerals Development, Mr Dele Alake, recently approved the revocation of 1,263 mineral licences over default in payment of annual fees.

In a statement by his Special Assistant on Media, Mr Segun Tomori, on Sunday in Abuja, he said the latest revocation approval, recommended by the Nigerian Mining Cadastre Office (MCO), included 584 exploration licences, 65 mining leases, 144 quarry licences, and 470 small-scale mining leases.

He said the move was part of ongoing efforts by the President Bola Tinubu’s administration aimed at sanitising the mining sector.

The minister said by the action, the licences would be deleted from the portal of the Electronic Mining Cadastral system of the MCO which would create more opportunities for investors .

“The annual service fee is the minimum evidence that you are interested in mining.

“You don’t have to wait for us to revoke the licence because the law allows you to return the licence if you change your mind,” the minister said.

Mr Alake said by opening up the areas formerly covered by these licenses, the move was expected to spur fresh applications by investors looking for fresh opportunities.

According to him, applying the law to keep speculators and unserious investors away from the mining sector will make way for diligent investors and grow the sector.

“The era of obtaining licences and keeping them in drawers for the highest bidder while financially capable and industrious businessmen are complaining of access to good sites is over,” he said.

Mr Alake warned that the revocation did not imply that the payment of the annual fees had been pardoned.

The minister stated that the list would be forwarded to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to ensure that debtors pay or face the wrath of the law.

“This is to encourage due diligence and emphasise the consequences of inundating the licence application processes with speculative activities,” he said.

According to Mr Tomori, the Director-General of the MCO, Mr Simon Nkom, in his presentation to the minister, stated that there were 1,957 initial defaulters when it published to revoke licences in the Federal Government Gazette on June 19, 2025.

He said that the gazette was distributed to MCO offices nationwide to sensitise those affected and to encourage them comply within 30 days inline with the Minerals and Mining Act 2007 and relevant regulations.

Mr Tomori said a total of 3,794 licences have been revoked since the inception of President Bola Tinubu administration including, 619 mineral titles revoked for default in paying annual service fees and 912 for dormancy last year.

Mr Alake had announced in August that more than 1,000 licences would be revoked to reposition the solid minerals sector as a driver of national industrial growth and continental leadership.

He said the Tinubu’s administration was laying the foundation for Nigeria where mineral resources create Nigerian jobs, feed Nigerian industries, and build Nigerian prosperity.

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General

NERC Unveils 3-Step Guide for Resolving Electricity Complaints

Published

on

NERC

By Adedapo Adesanya 

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has introduced a streamlined three-step process to help electricity consumers address common issues like power outages, estimated billing, faulty meters, and voltage fluctuations.

In a public advisory shared on its X handle on Tuesday, the electricity sector regulator emphasised that customers should begin by contacting their respective electricity Distribution Companies (DisCos), which serve as the primary point of contact for technical and billing problems.

Consumers are urged to secure a complaint reference number and maintain records of all interactions for efficient follow-up.

The advisory outlines the process as follows: “Contact your DisCo’s customer care – This is the first step for all technical or billing issues;

“Escalate to State Electricity Regulator (SER) – If unresolved, and the consumer is in a state that has transitioned to an SER;

“Reach NERC Call Centre – For consumers in non-transitioned states or needing further assistance. Contact options include 0201 344 4331, 0908 899 9244, or [email protected],” it said.

“We’re here to make sure your complaint is heard and addressed,” the advisory concluded, aiming to empower consumers amid ongoing challenges in Nigeria’s power sector.

This guidance comes as electricity consumers continue to grapple with service disruptions and billing disputes, highlighting NERC’s efforts to improve accountability across DisCos and state regulators.

Continue Reading

General

Senate Passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill After Mild Row

Published

on

Senate confirms Umar Yahaya

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Senate passed the Electoral Act, 2022 (Repeal and Re-Enactment) Bill 2026 on Tuesday after overcoming a rowdy session that saw lawmakers at loggerheads.

The issue in the upper chamber stemmed from a division over Clause 60 raised by Mr Enyinnaya Abaribe, a member of the opposition party, African Democratic Congress (ADC), from Abia South.

The Senate President, Mr Godswill Akpabio, stated that he believed the demand had previously been withdrawn, but several opposition senators immediately objected to that claim.

Citing Order 52(6), the Deputy Senate President, Mr Barau Jibrin, argued that it would be out of order to revisit any provision on which the Senate President had already ruled.

This submission sparked another uproar in the chamber, during which Mr Sunday Karimi had a brief face-off with Mr Abaribe.

The Senate Leader, Mr Opeyemi Bamidele, then reminded lawmakers that he had sponsored the motion for rescission, underscoring that decisions previously taken by the Senate are no longer valid, maintaining that, consistent with his motion, Mr Abaribe’s demand was in line.

Mr Akpabio further suggested that the call for division was merely an attempt by Mr Abaribe to publicly demonstrate his stance to Nigerians. He sustained the point of order, after which the Abian lawmaker rose in protest and was urged to formally move his motion.

Rising under Order 72(1), Mr Abaribe called for a division on Clause 60(3), specifically concerning the provision that if electronic transmission of results fails, Form EC8A should not serve as the sole basis, calling for the removal of the proviso that allows for manual transmission of results in the event of network failure.

During the division, Mr Akpabio directed senators who supported the caveat to stand. He then asked those opposed to the caveat to rise, to which 15 opposition senators stood.

However, when the votes were counted, the Senate President announced that 15 senators did not support the proviso, while 55 senators voted in support.

Earlier, proceedings in the Senate were momentarily stalled as lawmakers began clause-by-clause consideration of the Electoral Act, 2022 (Repeal and Re-Enactment) Bill 2026, following a motion to rescind the earlier amendment.

The motion to rescind the bill was formally seconded on Tuesday, paving the way for the upper chamber to dissolve into the committee of the whole for detailed reconsideration and reenactment of the proposed legislation.

During the session, the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, reeled out the clauses one after the other for deliberation.

However, the process stalled when at clause 60, Mr Abaribe raised a point of order, drawing immediate attention on the floor.

This soon caused the session to move into a closed-door session.

Before rescinding the Electoral Act, the red chamber raised concerns over the timing of the 2027 general elections and technical inconsistencies in the legislation.

Rising under Order 52(6) of the Senate Standing Orders, the Senate leader, Opeyemi Bamidele, moved the motion to reverse the earlier passage of the bill and return it to the Committee of the Whole for fresh deliberations.

He explained that the development follows the announcement by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) of a timetable fixing the 2027 general elections for February 2027, after consultations with the leadership of the National Assembly.

He stated that stakeholders had raised concerns that the proposed date conflicts with the provisions of the amended law, particularly the requirement that elections be scheduled not later than 360 days before the expiration of tenure.

He further noted that upon critical review of the passed bill, the 360-day notice requirement prescribed in Clause 28 could result in the scheduling of the 2027 Presidential and National Assembly elections during the Ramadan period.

According to him, holding elections during Ramadan could negatively affect voter turnout, logistical coordination, stakeholder participation, and the overall inclusiveness and credibility of the electoral process.

The motion also highlighted discrepancies discovered in the Long Title and several clauses of the bill, including Clauses 6, 9, 10, 22, 23, 28, 29, 32, 42, 47, 51, 60, 62, 64, 65, 73, 77, 86, 87, 89, 93, and 143. The identified issues reportedly affected cross-referencing, serial numbering, and internal consistency within the legislation.

Continue Reading

General

IFMA Nigeria Gets Branch in Oyo, Picks Adejumo Olusola Babatunde as Coordinator

Published

on

IFMA Nigeria Oyo branch

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

A new branch of the International Facility Management Association (IFMA) Nigeria Chapter has been established in Oyo State, with Mr Adejumo Olusola Babatunde chosen as Coordinator.

The organisation set up an arm in the South-West state in a bid to expand its footprint in the country. Mr Babatunde will be assisted by other executive committee members, including Mr Ajiboye Olusola Akeem as Secretary, and Mrs Adeniran Olaide as Treasurer.

At the inauguration of the branch at the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) Secretariat in the Akobo area of Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, the president of IFMA Nigeria, Mr Sheriff Daramola, expressed delight at the successful inauguration of the branch and commended members for their commitment to the growth of facility management in Nigeria.

He highlighted IFMA’s global heritage, noting that the association is supporting over 25,000 members in more than 140 countries worldwide. Mr Daramola emphasised IFMA’s strong global network, the world’s largest and most widely recognised association for facility management professionals, headquartered in the United States and its growing influence in Africa, the Middle East and Europe.

“IFMA members have taken positions of authority across federal, state, and private institutions; IFMA Nigeria is positioned to ensure our professionals are the first choice for global investors entering the Nigerian market,” he stated.

The Legal Adviser of IFMA, Nigeria, Mr Sola Fatoki, who shared this sentiment, said, “Since 1997, when IFMA Nigeria was established, the association has equipped facility management professionals with integrated knowledge spanning human behaviour, infrastructure, and the built environment.”

He encouraged engineers, architects, surveyors, ITC, Technology innovators, data analysts and allied professionals to see IFMA as their professional home and outlined the functions and responsibilities of branch executive committees.

In his remarks, Mr Babatunde expressed gratitude to the national council for the opportunity to serve and pledged to ensure the success of the branch, focusing on unity and the professional advancement of stakeholders in the region.

Continue Reading

Trending