Connect with us

General

Kwara Gives Contractors N1b to Begin Projects

Published

on

By Dipo Olowookere

The construction of the Kwara State University (KWASU) Ekiti Campus and the dualisation of Kulende-UITH-Oke Ose road will soon commence as the State government has mobilized contractors to the sites.

The two projects among other projects were recently flagged off by Governor Ahmed.

The construction of the KWASU Ekiti campus was awarded at a contract sum of N1.583 billion, while that of the dualisation of Sango-UITH-Oke Ose road will cost the government N2.3 billion.

Commissioner for Finance in the state, Mr Demola Banu, who made this known on Friday, said that government has released the sum of N500 million to each of the contractors in charge of the two projects, making a total of N1 billion.

He noted that with the release of the funds, the contractors are expected to begin work on the projects in earnest, saying that the government would not tolerate any unnecessary delay.

Speaking on the contract mobilisation, the Commissioner for works and Transport, Mr Aro Yahaya described the prompt release of funds to the contractors as a demonstration of the determination of Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed to ensure that the projects are delivered on schedule.

He urged the contractors to execute the projects according to standards and specifications given by the State government.

Mr Yahaya warned that the government would not accept any job that fails to meet specification.

The Commissioner also restated the commitment of the State government to fund all ongoing and new projects across the State to completion.

On her part, the Commissioner for Tertiary Education, Science and Technology, Dr Aminah Ahmed expressed delight with the mobilization of contractor to the site of KWASU Ekiti campus in Osi and commended Governor Ahmed for his resolve to actualize the multi-campus model for the university.

The KWASU Ekiti campus will house the College of Social Sciences and Environmental Studies of the institution.

Dipo Olowookere is a journalist based in Nigeria that has passion for reporting business news stories. At his leisure time, he watches football and supports 3SC of Ibadan. Mr Olowookere can be reached via [email protected]

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General

Tinubu Confirms Killing of Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki by Nigerian, US Forces

Published

on

Tinubu kill Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

President Bola Tinubu on Saturday confirmed the killing of a senior ISIS leader, Mr Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki, in an overnight operation carried out by the United States and Nigeria.

President Donald Trump had earlier announced the elimination of the notorious terrorist via a post on his Truth Social.

Later, in a statement today, Mr Tinubu praised the action, describing it as “a significant example of effective collaboration in the fight against terrorism.”

“Our determined Nigerian Armed Forces, working closely with the Armed Forces of the United States, conducted a daring joint operation that dealt a heavy blow to the ranks of the Islamic State,” he said in the statement.

According to him, early assessments confirm the elimination of the wanted IS senior leader, Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki, also known as Abu-Mainok, along with several of his lieutenants, during a strike on his compound in the Lake Chad Basin.

He commended the partnership between Nigeria and America in waging war against terrorists, thanking his US counterpart “for his leadership and unwavering support in this effort.”

“I commend the personnel involved on both sides for their professionalism and courage, and I look forward to more decisive strikes against all terrorist enclaves across the nation,” the Nigerian leader added.

Continue Reading

General

Nigeria Steps up AI Surveillance, Anti-Drone Systems for National Security

Published

on

Anti-Drone Systems

By Adedapo Adesanya

Nigeria is set to strengthen its defence architecture by deploying artificial intelligence-powered surveillance systems and advanced anti-drone technology as part of efforts to modernise the country’s military capabilities, according to the Minister of Defence, Mr Christopher Musa.

He disclosed this during a high-level visit to Monaco, where he led a Nigerian delegation to conclude discussions on the multi-domain Hybrid Intelligence Shield (HIS) project.

According to Mr Musa, the initiative is designed to enhance border security, protect urban centres and improve the country’s response to emerging security threats.

The project is expected to introduce AI-driven surveillance systems capable of identifying threats rapidly through smart algorithms, while anti-drone technology will be deployed to intercept and neutralise unmanned aerial threats.

The government also plans to establish national and regional command-and-control centres to improve real-time coordination and response to security incidents across the country.

Mr Musa said the initiative would place strong emphasis on technology transfer and local capacity development through the establishment of a military Centre of Excellence in Nigeria.

He added that the federal government would leverage partnerships with international firms, including Marss UK Ltd, while simultaneously building indigenous capabilities to address insurgency, illegal mining, piracy and other security threats.

Nigeria has continued to battle multiple security challenges in recent years, including insurgency in the North-East, banditry and kidnappings in the North-West, farmer-herder clashes in the North-Central region, crude oil theft in the Niger Delta and piracy in the Gulf of Guinea.

Nigeria is stepping up its defence as the border region of Nigeria, Benin and Niger on the southern edge of the Sahel region is becoming a new stronghold for jihadists, as militants turn forests and pastoral networks in West Africa into bases for recruitment and international attacks.

Attacks in Nigeria have also risen, with data from the website of the Armed Conflict Location & Event Data (ACLED), a conflict-monitoring group, affirming that the number of suicide bombings in Nigeria by March already matched the annual average over the past six years.

The Nigerian military has also been dealt a blow to its military bases and senior figures targeted. In April, Brigadier-General Oseni Omoh Braimah was killed when Islamist fighters attacked a base in Borno State.

To also meet the defence goal, Nigeria is stepping up efforts to build domestic arms-manufacturing capacity.

Continue Reading

General

Nigeria, Morocco to Seal Atlantic Gas Pipeline Deal by Q4 2026

Published

on

nigeria morocco

By Adedapo Adesanya

Nigeria and Morocco are set to sign a major intergovernmental agreement later this year to push forward the long-delayed Nigeria-Morocco Gas Pipeline project, a multi-billion-dollar energy corridor expected to reshape gas trade across West Africa and Europe.

The agreement, expected to be signed in the fourth quarter of 2026 by President Bola Tinubu and King Mohammed VI of Morocco, follows the completion of preliminary technical studies for the ambitious project, according to officials from both countries.

The pipeline, also known as the African Atlantic Gas Pipeline, is projected to stretch about 6,900 kilometres along offshore and onshore routes across West Africa, making it one of the largest gas infrastructure projects on the continent.

With an estimated cost of $25 billion, the pipeline is designed to transport up to 30 billion cubic metres of gas annually once completed.

Discussions on the project gained fresh momentum during a telephone conversation between Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, and her Moroccan counterpart, Mr Nasser Bourita.

The project would not only strengthen energy cooperation between the two countries but also improve regional economic integration and expand Africa’s access to European energy markets.

According to Morocco’s hydrocarbons and mining agency, ONHYM, part of the gas supply will support Morocco’s domestic energy demand, while large export volumes will be directed to Europe.

The project, first proposed about a decade ago, is seen as a strategic alternative gas supply route amid rising global energy security concerns and Europe’s search for more diversified energy sources.

Beyond the pipeline, Nigeria and Morocco are also exploring broader economic partnerships, particularly in fertiliser production and distribution to support food security across Africa.

Both countries also agreed on the need to revive the Nigeria-Morocco Business Council to strengthen trade and investment relations under the African Continental Free Trade Area framework.

Analysts noted that the project could significantly boost gas monetisation opportunities for Nigeria, expand regional infrastructure development, and deepen economic ties between West African nations and Europe if successfully executed.

Continue Reading

Trending