General
Lagos to Establish Waste Material Recovery Facility in Badagry

By Adedapo Adesanya
The Lagos State Government is setting up a material recovery facility at Badagry to boost waste management.
The chief executive of the Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA), Mr Muyiwa Gbadegesin, said this initiative was part of efforts to reduce waste pollution and promote a circular economy.
According to him, LAWMA will close the Olusosun dumpsite at Ojota and other dumpsites to pave the way for the establishment of the facility and other waste-to-energy plants in the metropolis, noting that the construction of the material recovery facility will take about 15 months.
“When we close the dumpsites, we will divert the waste to a material recovery facility at Badagry. We will extract all the biogas to generate electricity and cover the waste.
“In the case of Olusosun, we are looking at working with industrial facilities at the back of the dumpsite, which can use the gas to power their generators,” he said.
Mr Gbadegesin said the state government was partnering with some investors to establish the waste-to-energy plants in strategic places.
“We are planning a biogas facility, we completed the feasibility study last year in partnership with the Swedish Government.
“Sweden has achieved zero waste because it takes up its sewage and organic waste and uses them to produce biomethane in large quantities.
“If they can do it, we can. We are planning to replicate the Swedish model here.
“Out of the 13,000 tonnes of waste generated daily in Lagos State, 6,500 tonnes are organic, which should not be going to landfills.
“We should be able to use the organic waste to produce compost for greenery and agriculture and also to produce biomethane,” he informed the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in an interview in Lagos.
Mr Gbadegesin said the feasibility study for the biogas facility was done by LAWMA in partnership with the Lagos State Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA), adding, “It will be bringing in 2,000 compressed natural gas-powered buses. Once the biogas plant is completed, they will be using it.”
He noted that LAWMA was in partnership with a Dutch company to generate electricity through waste.
“We want to set it up at Epe. We have closed the landfill at Epe to set up the waste-to-energy plant. This will be set up in partnership with a private investor, a Dutch company, Harvest Waste.”
Mr Gbadegesin said that the Dutch company would support the setting up of the plant to the tune of 100 million euros.
According to the managing director, the plant would take about 2,500 tonnes of waste daily and produce 60 to 80 megawatts of electricity.
“From the development, we are moving to another level. It gives us hope that if we put our minds to development, we can be the best,” he said.
General
CNPP Hails Removal of Mele Kyari as NNPC Chief, Seeks Forensic Audit

By Modupe Gbadeyanka
The umbrella body of all registered political parties and political associations in the country, the Conference of Nigeria Political Parties (CNPP), has praised President Bola Tinubu for firing Mr Mele Kyari as the chief executive of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited, and replacing him with Mr Bashir Bayo Ojulari.
In the wee hours of Wednesday, April 2, 2025, Mr Tinubu announced the removal of Mr Kyari from office in a statement signed by his spokesman, Mr Bayo Onanuga.
Reacting to the sacking of the erstwhile NNPC chief, the CNPP said the next step is for President Tinubu to order a forensic audit of the state-owned oil organisation to rebuild trust in Nigeria’s oil sector.
In a statement signed by its Deputy National Publicity Secretary, Mr James Ezema, the group noted that the removal of Mr Kyari is a vital step toward restoring accountability, efficiency, and transparency in a sector that has long been shrouded in allegations of corruption and mismanagement, adding that Nigerians have endured years of economic hardship fueled by inefficiencies and alleged large-scale corruption within NNPC.
It noted that these challenges have exacerbated the country’s struggles, with high transportation costs contributing to soaring food prices that have burdened millions of families.
According to the CNPP, this bold move by the President signals a readiness to confront deep-seated issues in Nigeria’s petroleum industry.
The organisation emphasised that merely replacing Mr Kyari is insufficient to address the root causes of the oil sector’s problems, reiterating its long-standing demand for a thorough forensic audit of NNPC’s operations during his tenure.
It emphasized that without such an investigation, the new management would inherit a foundation weakened by years of alleged financial irregularities, inefficiencies, and questionable practices.
The CNPP has raised serious concerns about the management of NNPC under Mr Kyari, asserting that the Nigerian people deserve transparency and accountability regarding the operations of the national oil company.
The group urged President Tinubu to authorize an independent forensic audit covering all aspects of NNPC’s accounts, crude oil sales, and subsidy disbursements during his tenure, arguing that this audit is crucial not only for understanding the extent of mismanagement but also for implementing reforms that will stabilize the oil.
In its statement, the CNPP underscored the critical importance of Nigeria’s oil industry to the nation’s economy, warning that without urgent and radical reforms, the suffering of Nigerians would persist. It called on anti-corruption agencies, civil society organizations, and the National Assembly to support its demand for justice, urging all stakeholders to play an active role in ensuring accountability within NNPCL.
The group affirmed its commitment to monitoring developments in the oil sector and holding all stakeholders accountable to the Nigerian people.
“The oil sector cannot remain a black hole where billions of dollars disappear without accountability. The time to act is now,” it declared.
General
Customs Debunks Comptroller General Adewale Adeniyi Tenure Extension Rumour

By Adedapo Adesanya
The Nigeria Customs Service has debunked the widespread reports about the alleged tenure extension of the Comptroller General of Customs, Mr Adewale Adeniyi.
In a statement on Tuesday, Mr. Abdullahi Maiwada, the customs spokesman, said that the news was inaccurate and misleading.
He stated that the appointments and tenure extensions of the CGC are made solely at the discretion of the President, in line with the provisions of the NCS Act 2023 and other relevant regulations governing public service appointments.
“The attention of the NCS has been drawn to a fake release allegedly from the State House regarding an extension of the tenure of the CGC, Adewale Adeniyi. The NCS wishes to categorically state that this information is inaccurate and misleading,” Mr Maiwada said.
Mr Maiwada noted that at the moment, no such directive has been communicated to the NCS by the appropriate authorities.
He emphasised that the leadership of the service remains focused on fulfilling its statutory mandate of trade facilitation, revenue generation, and border security.
Under the guidance of the current CGC, Mr Maiwada explained the NCS has continued to implement key reforms aimed at, “modernising customs operations, strengthening inter-agency collaboration, and enhancing national economic growth.”
The customs spokesperson called on the public and all stakeholders to rely only on official channels for accurate information regarding the NCS. He added that updates regarding appointments or tenure decisions will be formally communicated through the appropriate government authorities.
“The service appreciates the continued support of stakeholders and remains committed to transparency, professionalism, and service to the nation,” he said.
General
Tinubu to Appraise Performance, Assess Key Milestones in France

By Modupe Gbadeyanka
President Bola Tinubu will travel to Paris, France for a two-week working visit to appraise his administration’s midterm performance and assess key milestones.
This information was revealed on Wednesday by the President’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Mr Bayo Onanuga.
In a statement issued today, it was disclosed that Mr Tinubu would “use the retreat to review the progress of ongoing reforms and engage in strategic planning ahead of his administration’s second anniversary.”
“This period of reflection will inform plans to deepen ongoing reforms and accelerate national development priorities in the coming year,” another part of the statement said.
President Tinubu assumed office on May 29, 2023, and has since introduced some reforms that have been tagged harsh, including the removal of subsidies on premium motor spirit (PMS), otherwise known as petrol, and the liberalisation of the foreign exchange (FX) market.
These two policies have triggered inflationary pressures in the country, with some citizens struggling to survive because of the harsh economic environment.
In the statement today, it was stated that recent economic strides reinforce the President’s commitment to these efforts, as evidenced by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) reporting a significant increase in net foreign exchange reserves to $23.11 billion—a testament to the administration’s fiscal reforms since 2023 when net reserves were $3.99 billion.
“While away, President Tinubu will remain fully engaged with his team and continue to oversee governance activities,” Mr Onanuga added.
-
Feature/OPED5 years ago
Davos was Different this year
-
Travel/Tourism9 years ago
Lagos Seals Western Lodge Hotel In Ikorodu
-
Showbiz2 years ago
Estranged Lover Releases Videos of Empress Njamah Bathing
-
Banking7 years ago
Sort Codes of GTBank Branches in Nigeria
-
Economy2 years ago
Subsidy Removal: CNG at N130 Per Litre Cheaper Than Petrol—IPMAN
-
Banking2 years ago
First Bank Announces Planned Downtime
-
Sports2 years ago
Highest Paid Nigerian Footballer – How Much Do Nigerian Footballers Earn
-
Technology4 years ago
How To Link Your MTN, Airtel, Glo, 9mobile Lines to NIN