General
MAP: DisCos Process 250,000 Applications for Prepaid Meters

By Dipo Olowookere
Not less than 250,000 applications for prepaid meters have been received and processed so far by distribution companies (DisCos) across the country under the Meter Asset Provider (MAP) Regulation of 2018.
The MAP policy was created by federal government through the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) to close the current metering gap of about 5.3 million consumers.
Nigeria’s Vice President, Mr Yemi Osinbajo, while speaking at the commissioning projects of Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC) in Abeokuta on Thursday, August 15, 2019, said efforts were being made to ensure all unmetered electricity consumers are reached.
“On May 1 2019, MAPs, commenced meter rollout; over 250,000 applications have been received and processed by DisCos to date and of course, that is then supposed to be forwarded to MAPs for installation.
“This figure is expected to quadruple by the end of 2019, and double by the end of 2020, largely closing the current metering gap of about 5.3 million consumers,” the Vice President said.
However, he stressed that the DisCos were underperforming, saying that they lack the capacity to supply power to end users because of infrastructure.
“Despite the availability of 8,000MW of generation and 7,000MW of transmission capacity, the lack of DisCos’ infrastructure to absorb and deliver grid power to end users has largely restricted generation to an average of about 4,000MW and sometimes falling below 4,000MW.
“Apart from the lack of infrastructure is the inability of DisCos, first, to provide distribution assets generally and also metering, and you have heard what the MD of TCN said about the unavailability of distribution assets, there is also the unavailability to provide metering to consumers.
“In resolving this issue, the Federal Government stepped in through the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission’s (NERC) Meter Asset Provider (MAP) Regulation of 2018. This is essentially regulation to provide metering, through independent or third parties to consumers all across Nigeria,” he said.
According to the Vice President, “In the past few years, resolving the power supply problem has been top priority for the Federal Government of Nigeria.”
He said, “Today, we have about 13,427MW of installed capacity, and an available capacity of about 8,342MW. This was achieved through the efforts of government and its private sector partners in the rehabilitation and commissioning of turbines in Shiroro, Egbin, Delta Power, Sapele and Gbarain.
“Before the end of the year, new generation is expected from Gbarain and an extra 115 MW; Kashimbilla (40 MW); Afam III Fast Power (240 MW); Gurara (30 MW); Dadin Kowa (29 MW); and Kaduna (215 MW).”
Mr Osinbajo stated that, “In the long term, several solar plants will come on stream. The national grid already has the capacity to transmit 7,000MW, an increase from less than about 5,000MW in 2015 and this is due to the completion and improvement of several transmission projects.
“We have been told by the MD of NDPHC, Mr Chiedu Ugbo, the completion of projects already done by TCN, like the Ikot Ekpene switching station and the completion of the Ikot Ekpene-Ugwuaji-Makurdi-Jos loop, which was done by the NDPHC in 2017.
“But distribution capacity in the 11 DisCos are significantly low, hovering at around 4,000MW on average with a peak of about 5,400MW.”
He described the commissioning of Thursday’s projects as “an important part of the federal government’s efforts to improve the supply and quality of power to homes and businesses in Nigeria.”
According to him, it was part of efforts to open up the space for private sector into the power sector to open up the market to satisfy energy consumers in the country.
“The whole idea of it is to create a regime whereby there can be more willing-buyer-willing seller arrangements. It is in my view completely impossible, to satisfy Nigeria’s power demands from the national grid alone.
“There must be independent power suppliers and this why we have all these regulations for micro-grid and other willing-buyer-willing-seller arrangements and that is the way by which we can go forward and ensure that we are able to serve many of the unserved and underserved communities that we have today.
“These polices when fully implemented, will enable the opening up of the market to new investors in generation, transmission and distribution infrastructure, transacting directly with each other, to serve willing customers and this is the way which the Federal Government will proceed to ensure that we increase some more opportunities to existing DisCos and to other investors who may wish to serve Nigeria’s huge power market, which of course, at the moment is terribly underserved,” he said.
Mr Osinbajo said, “Federal Government is committed to ensuring that we have adequate power supply both in our home and also in our various places of business.
“Power supply is the life blood of any economy and we will remain committed to ensuring that power supply is adequate everywhere.
“Just as you heard, it is certainly not going to be a short walk, but as we have seen, from all what we have heard so far, there so much to be done and we are committed to doing it.
General
Ojulari Vows to Consolidate on Mele Kyari’s Legacy

By Modupe Gbadeyanka
The new chief executive of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited, Mr Bayo Ojulari, has promised to consolidate on the legacy and achievements of his predecessor, Mr Mele Kyari.
He made this pledge while taking over from Mr Kyari on Friday at the organisation’s headquarters in Abuja, the country’s seat of power.
President Bola Tinubu on Tuesday dissolved the board of the NNPC and appointed new members to pilot affairs of the oil company.
In a statement today by the Chief Corporate Communications Officer of the NNPC, Mr Olufemi Soneye, it was disclosed that the new CEO praised Mr Kyari for his contributions to the growth of NNPC Ltd and his sterling service to the nation, noting that the objective of his management is to consolidate on the successes of his predecessor and take the company to the next level.
He said though the targets set for his management were quite enormous, he would be relying on the co-operation of the Management and staff of the company, as well as the counsel of his predecessor to achieve set targets.
“I will be counting on your support. I will need it. I will be coming around to seek your counsel,” Mr Ojulari told Mr Kyari.
Earlier in his remarks, the erstwhile NNPC chief congratulated his successor and thanked the management and staff of the company for their support while in office, vowing to do everything within his power to support the new team to succeed, stressing he is only a call away.
General
Dangote Cement Ibese Plant Empowers Host Communities

By Aduragbemi Omiyale
Some persons living around the Ibese Plant of Dangote Cement Plc have been equipped with some skills that could make them stand on their own and contribute to the economic development of Ogun State and Nigeria in general.
The beneficiaries participated in the 2024 Youth Skill Acquisition and Empowerment Programme designed to give back to society.
This initiative, executed under the Community Development Agreement (CDA) with host communities by Dangote Cement, according to the federal government, is worthy of emulation.
The Minister of Solid Mineral Development, Mr Dele Alake, while speaking through the South-West Zonal Coordinator for Mines Environment Compliance for the Ministry, Mr Mathew Ochimana, praised the cement maker for the diligent execution of the agreement for the benefit of the rural communities, thereby fostering atmosphere of peace all year round.
While presenting certificates and starter packs to the trainees, the Minister said the government had no cause to wade into any dispute between the company and host communities.
He urged Dangote Cement to continue to partner with the host communities with more empowerment programmes to develop the communities and equip the people.
Mr Alake enjoined the host communities to reciprocate the good gesture by maintaining peace and supporting the company to do more.
Speaking in the same vein, the Chairman of Host Communities Joint Consultative Committee, Mr Dayo Ogunyinka, thanked Dangote Cement for always rising up to the occasion noting that the company has never shied away from its social responsibilities by constantly developing programmes that could lift the people and add value to them.
“I can remember we have gathered here before to graduate thos who were trained in the art of electrical electronics, those who specialized in shoe making, those who chose acupuncture, and today its painting and Plaster of Paris (PoP).
“Worthy of mentioning is the fact Dangote Cement, Ibese Plant don’t just train, they also provide the starter pack to start for the graduands to start working straightaway, we cant ask for less. I am however saddened that some of our youths run away from this lofty training by not presenting themselves.
“We are very lucky in our communities to have Dangote Cement here, they not only cater for the youths, they do for the wome, the elderly, the farmers and others, we are indeed lucky. We can only pray that God will continue to be with the organization,” he stated.
Addressing the youths earlier, Dangote Cement Ibese Plant Director, Mr Roy Uttam, explained that the training initiative was a partnership between Dangote Cement Plc and the Industrial Training Fund (ITF), Abeokuta Area Office, and that it underscored the company’s commitment to socio-economic development in its host communities.
He reaffirmed the company’s dedication to corporate social responsibility, emphasizing its focus on Health, Education, Infrastructure, and Empowerment, noting that the Dangote Academy and various training programs have continued to create employment opportunities and enhance skill acquisition among Nigerian youths.
He commended the thirty (30) graduates from the 17 host communities who successfully completed training in Plaster of Paris (PoP), screeding, and painting, urging them to utilize their newfound skills to build sustainable careers. The trainees received start-up kits, including tools such as trowels, measuring tapes, and shovels, to aid them in establishing their businesses.
Also speaking at the event, the ITF Area Manager, Abeokuta, Mrs Abolanle Ajibade, thanked Dangote Cement for the initiative, adding that, “It is with a sense of accomplishment that I stand before you to bring this impactful 2024 skills acquisition and empowerment training program to a close.
“This training program, PoP, screeding, and painting, was not merely an opportunity to gain knowledge but also an avenue to forge connections, share experiences, and challenge ourselves to go beyond our comfort zones.
“To our facilitators, your dedication and expertise have been invaluable. You have gone above and beyond to provide us with tools, insights, and guidance needed to thrive, and to participants, congratulations on your commitment, resilience, and passion throughout this training.”
The Chairman of Yewa North Local Government, Mr Akinbode Olusola, advised the youth participants to see the training as a life time opportunity to make a difference in life noting that thousands of youth in the society would not have access to the opportunity they are getting on a platter of gold.
General
Sanwo-Olu Swears in Ladi Oluwaloni as Ayobo Ipaja LCDA Chairman

By Dipo Olowookere
The acting chairman of Ayobo Ipaja Local Council Development Area (LCDA), Mr Oladipupo Oluwaloni, popularly known as Ladi, has been sworn-in as the substantive chairman of the council.
He was sworn in on Thursday by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State at a brief ceremony attended by several loyalists of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state.
The grassroots politician was appointed as the acting chairman of Ayobo Ipaja LCDA last month by the Governor following the long absence of his boss, Mrs Bola Shobowale.
He served as the deputy chairman of the local council before his elevation following the death of Mrs Shobowale after a protracted illness on March 21, 2025.
At the swearing-in ceremony yesterday, Mr Sanwo-Olu charged Mr Oluwaloni to listen to collaborate closely with the community as he was there to serve them.”
“Together, through unity, we can achieve our vision for a greater Lagos,” the Governor tasked the new chairman, who could not hide his excitement.
In his response, the new council chairman promised to align fully with the T.H.E.M.E.S Plus Agenda of the present administration, promising to prioritize the socioeconomic development of the people and uphold democratic values in service delivery.
Mr Oluwaloni, when he was asked to occupy the position in an acting capacity two weeks ago, said, “This is a great responsibility, and I am fully committed to upholding the trust placed in me.
“My focus will be on ensuring that governance at the grassroots remains effective, responsive, and aligned with the developmental agenda of our great state.”
-
Feature/OPED5 years ago
Davos was Different this year
-
Travel/Tourism9 years ago
Lagos Seals Western Lodge Hotel In Ikorodu
-
Showbiz2 years ago
Estranged Lover Releases Videos of Empress Njamah Bathing
-
Banking7 years ago
Sort Codes of GTBank Branches in Nigeria
-
Economy2 years ago
Subsidy Removal: CNG at N130 Per Litre Cheaper Than Petrol—IPMAN
-
Banking2 years ago
First Bank Announces Planned Downtime
-
Sports2 years ago
Highest Paid Nigerian Footballer – How Much Do Nigerian Footballers Earn
-
Technology4 years ago
How To Link Your MTN, Airtel, Glo, 9mobile Lines to NIN