NBC Withdraws Operating Licences of Silverbird TV, Others
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
The operating licences of Silverbird TV, Rhythm FM and others have been revoked by the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC).
A statement issued on Friday by the agency disclosed that the action was taken over the failure of the broadcast stations to renew their licences after being given time to do so.
The affected media platforms were given 24 hours to stop operations or risk being forced to do so with the help of security operatives.
“After due consideration, NBC hereby announces the revocation of the licenses of the under-listed stations and gives them 24 hours to shut down their operations.
“Our offices nationwide are hereby directed to collaborate with security agencies to ensure immediate compliance,” a part of the notice today read.
It was stated by NBC that the affected radio and television stations, numbering over 50, were given enough time to pay their broadcast renewal fees of about N2.66 billion but they refused to take action.
“In May 2022, the NBS published in the national dailies, the list of licensees that are indebted to the commission and granted them two weeks to renew their licenses and pay their debts or consider their licenses revoked, frequencies withdrawn and the withdrawn frequencies reassigned to others who are ready to abide by the necessary requirements.
“Three months after the publication, some licensees are yet to pay their outstanding debts, in contravention of the National Broadcasting Commission Act CAP N11, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004, particularly section 10(a) of the third schedule of the Act.
“In view of this development, the continued operation of the debtor stations is illegal and constitutes a threat to national security,” the statement said.
In the disclosure, the nation’s regulatory agency for the broadcast platforms warned others yet to renew their licences for the present duration to do so within the next 30 days to avoid sanctions.
“The broadcast stations that are not affected/whose names are not on this list are required to renew their licenses for their current durations within the next 30 days or get their licenses also revoked,” it stressed.
Below is the full list of the affected stations:
S/N NAME OF STATION LOCATION
- Silverbird TV (Silverbird Communications Co. Ltd) Network
- Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Abuja
- Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Lagos
- Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Yenagoa
- Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Port-Harcourt
- Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Jos
- Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communication Ltd) Benin
- Greetings FM (Greetings Media Ltd) FM Network
- Tao FM (Ovidi CommunicationS Ltd) FM Okene
- Zuma FM (Zuma FM Ltd) FM Suleja
- Crowther FM (Crowther Communications Ltd) FM Abuja
- We FM (Kings Broadcasting Ltd) FM Benin
- Linksman International ltd Keffi
- Bomay Broadcasting Services ltd Abuja
- MITV (Murhi International Group Ltd) Ibadan
- Classic FM (Pinkt Nigeria Ltd) Port-Harcourt
- Classic FM (Pinkt Nigeria Ltd) Lagos
- Classic TV (Pinkt Nigeria Ltd) Lagos
- Smoot FM (Fenchurch Invest Consortium ltd) Lagos
- Beat FM (Megalectrics LTD) Lagos
- Cooper Communications ltd Lagos
- Splash FM (West Midlands Ltd) Ibadan
- Rock City FM (Boot Communications ltd) Abeokuta
- Family FM (Kalaks Investments Nig. Ltd) Ilugun
- Space FM (Creazioni Nig. Ltd) Ibadan
- Radio Jeremi (Radio Jeremi ltd) Effurun
- Breeze FM (Bays Water ltd) Akure
- Vibes FM (Vibes Communication ltd) Benin
- Family Love FM (Multimesh Broadcasting Co. Ltd) Port-Harcourt
- Wave FM (South Atlantic Media ltd) Port-Harcourt
- Kogi State Broadcasting Corporation
- Kwara State Broadcasting Corporation
- Niger State Broadcasting Corporation
- Gombe State Broadcasting Corporation
- Lagos State Broadcasting Corporation
- Lagos DSB
- Osun State Broadcasting Corporation
- Ogun State Broadcasting Corporation
- Ondo State Broadcasting Corporation
- Rivers State Broadcasting Corporation
- Bayelsa State Broadcasting Corporation
- Cross River State Broadcasting Corporation
- Imo State Broadcasting Corporation
- Anambra State Broadcasting Corporation
- Borno State Broadcasting Corporation
- Yobe State Broadcasting Corporation
- Sokoto State Broadcasting Corporation
- Zamfara State Broadcasting Corporation
- Kebbi State Broadcasting Corporation
- Jigawa State Broadcasting Corporation
- Kaduna State Broadcasting Corporation
- Katsina State Broadcasting Corporation