NIMC Lists Importance of National Identification Number
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has highlighted some benefits of the National identification Number (NIM), urging Nigerians to register to obtain the number.
In a post yesterday, the agency said obtaining the NIM come with different profits, including being able to easily get the international passport, driver’s licence, amongst other.
NIMC said the National Identification Number is a unique, biometrically linked 11 digit number assigned to an individual upon successful enrolment. It said the NIN is also a valid means of identification which can be verified on its verification portal.
Commenting on why the National Identification Number is important, the agency said it is useful;
- For processing your travel documents (international passport application & acquisition)
- For opening personal bank accounts
- To obtain driver’s license
- To participate in the National Health Insurance Scheme
- For payment of taxes
- To engage in transactions related to your contributory pension scheme
- To gain access to welfare and other relevant services from the Government
- For transactions with social security implications
- For land transactions subject to the Land Use Act
- To register for provision and use of hospitality services and lots more.
- To access all other government and private sector services
“However, given the penal consequences and restrictive effects of not obtaining a NIN, it is advisable that eligible individuals obtain their NINs as quickly as possible,” the agency said.