General
NUPRC Issues Directive on Measurement-Based Methane, GHG Reporting
By Adedapo Adesanya
The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has issued a new directive mandating upstream oil and gas operators to adopt standardised templates and transition to measurement-based reporting of methane and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
The directive was signed by the chief executive of the commission, Mrs Oritsemeyiwa Eyesan, on Monday and it takes immediate effect.
This is part of efforts to strengthen transparency, accountability, and alignment with Nigeria’s climate commitments under its Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs).
According to the commission, all operators are now required to institutionalise credible Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV) systems for emissions tracking, moving away from estimation-based methods toward more precise, science-driven measurement approaches.
The regulator said the move is in response to increasing global pressure to limit temperature rise to 1.5°C, which has placed heightened expectations on fossil fuel producers to curb methane emissions and improve environmental performance.
NUPRC noted that since 2022, operators had been required to use the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Tier 1 methodology for emissions estimation, but the new directive enforces a phased transition to more advanced systems.
Under the new framework, companies must adopt IPCC Tier 2 methodologies by the third quarter of 2026 and fully transition to Tier 3—considered the most accurate, measurement-based standard—by January 2027.
To ensure uniformity in reporting, operators are also mandated to comply with newly introduced templates, including the Greenhouse Gas Emissions Management Plan (GHGEMP) and standardised formats for methane and GHG emissions accounting and inventories.
The commission emphasised that all submissions must be verifiable, transparent, and evidence-based, in line with MRV principles, and must follow templates published on its official website.
While reaffirming the IPCC framework as the global standard, NUPRC stated that operators may align with other recognised frameworks such as OGMP 2.0, API, and ISO, provided submissions meet regulatory requirements.
The directive also acknowledges existing technical and infrastructural gaps within the industry. In response, the commission said it has begun capacity-building initiatives, including targeted workshops and guidance sessions, to support operators in the transition.
Nigeria has committed to achieving net-zero emissions by 2060, ending routine gas flaring by 2030, and cutting methane emissions by 60 per cent by 2035. The commission said achieving these targets depends on a robust, traceable, and internationally compliant emissions reporting system.
NUPRC added that the new measures are expected to enhance Nigeria’s credibility in global energy and climate markets while attracting climate-focused investments into the upstream sector.
The commission reiterated its commitment to supporting the industry through technical guidance and the deployment of MRV-enabling infrastructure.
General
NIMASA Confirms Oil Spill from Bonny Channel Vessel Collision
By Adedapo Adesanya
The Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) has confirmed that a collision between vessels in the Bonny Channel, Rivers State, led to oil pollution in the affected area.
The agency’s Deputy Director and Head of Public Relations, Mr Osagie Edward, disclosed this in a statement, noting that the Deep Blue Forward Operating Base in Bonny received a distress call at about 11:30 a.m. regarding the collision.
He said the incident involved MV Valparaiso, a Singapore-flagged container vessel with IMO Number 9433054, and MT Lady Martina, a Nigerian-flagged oil products tanker.
According to the statement, the Deep Blue Base immediately deployed 10 armed personnel aboard the interceptor boat DB 214 to the scene.
The agency said five crew members aboard MT Lady Martina sustained varying degrees of injuries during the incident.
The spokesperson said the injured crew members were evacuated to the Forward Operating Base sickbay in Bonny for immediate medical treatment.
“Following the collision, MT Lady Martina drifted ashore and is currently aground along the Bonny Channel.
“MV Valparaiso also remains grounded at the Bonny Inner Anchorage pending damage assessment and further investigation,” Edward said.
He said the management of MAERSK had officially reported the incident to the agency.
Mr Edward said the Director-General of NIMASA, Mr Dayo Mobereola, had ordered a full investigation into the immediate and remote causes of the collision.
He added that NIMASA had established a Situation Monitoring Room to coordinate emergency response efforts and monitor developments from the incident.
Mr Mobereola had personally visited Rivers to inaugurate the monitoring room and oversee response operations in the state.
The Director-General also directed the agency’s Marine Environment Management Department to begin an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) of the affected area immediately.
Mr Mobereola urged officials to take necessary measures to mitigate the impact of the Tier One oil sheen and safeguard the marine environment.
General
NAFDAC Destroys N1.8bn Sachet Alcohol, Expired Pharmaceuticals in Abuja
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
Some counterfeit, expired, and unwholesome products worth over N1.8 billion have been destroyed by the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) in Abuja.
The agency, in a statement on Friday, disclosed that the items were destroyed by fire at the Kuje dumpsite in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
The destruction exercise involved the incineration of counterfeit medicines, banned sachet alcohol, expired pharmaceuticals, fake chemicals and other unsafe products seized across Abuja and surrounding areas, including items voluntarily submitted by companies, NGOs, and the Association of Community Pharmacists of Nigeria (ACPN).
According to NAFDAC, this action demonstrates its commitment to ensuring that seized products do not re-enter circulation. It also reaffirms its commitment to enforcing the ban on alcoholic beverages packaged in sachets and PET bottles below 200ml, warning that enforcement actions and prosecution will extend to traders found in possession of such products.
Speaking during the exercise, the Director-General of NAFDAC, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, represented by the Director of Investigation and Enforcement, Mr Martins Iluyomade, warned that counterfeit drug syndicates now deploy sophisticated cloning techniques to imitate genuine products, making it increasingly difficult for consumers to identify fake items.
She disclosed that the organisation recently intercepted several containers of suspicious products falsely declared to evade detection at the ports, stressing the need for stronger inter-agency collaboration and public vigilance.
The DG urged Nigerians to avoid patronising suspiciously cheap medicines and other regulated products, and to report suspicious activities to the nearest NAFDAC office or the NAFDAC Call Centre.
General
Tinubu Lauds NDLEA $360m Drug Bust, Nigerian-Mexican Cartel Dismantling
By Adedapo Adesanya
President Bola Tinubu has commended the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) for dismantling a sophisticated Nigerian-Mexican drug syndicate and uncovering a multi-million-dollar illicit drug production network operating in the country.
The President’s message was contained in a statement issued on Thursday by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Mr Bayo Onanuga.
The NDLEA Chairman, Mr Mohammed Buba Marwa, had on Wednesday announced the breakthrough following a major operation carried out by the agency in collaboration with international partners after weeks of intelligence gathering and strategic planning.
According to President Tinubu, the operation, which led to the arrest of foreign nationals, local drug kingpins, and other collaborators, as well as the seizure of illicit drugs and chemicals valued at over $360 million, reflects the professionalism and commitment of the anti-narcotics agency.
“This successful operation, which led to the arrest of foreign nationals, local kingpins and other collaborators, as well as the seizure of chemicals and illicit drugs valued at over $360 million, demonstrates exceptional professionalism, courage, and unwavering commitment to safeguarding society from the devastating effects of narcotics,” the President said.
He praised the courage, resilience, and dedication displayed by NDLEA operatives during the operation and urged the agency not to relent in the fight against drug trafficking.
He warned that West Africa has increasingly become a major transit hub for cocaine, synthetic drugs, and unregulated pharmaceuticals being trafficked to Europe and North America.
According to him, beyond posing serious security threats, the drug trade is also destroying the future of many young people across the region.
The President also called on Nigerians to support the fight against illicit drugs by remaining vigilant and reporting suspicious activities to security agencies.
“I call on all Nigerians to see the fight against illicit drugs not NDLEA’s alone. Everyone has a role to play. We must remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious activities within our communities to assist security agencies in combating criminal networks,” he stated.
President Tinubu added that the successful operation sends a strong warning to criminal networks that organised crime and other threats to public safety will not be tolerated anywhere in the country.
“This landmark success is a strong message that our security agencies will not tolerate organised crime and criminality anywhere in the country, and that those who threaten public safety and national security will face the wrath of the law,” he said.
-
Feature/OPED6 years agoDavos was Different this year
-
Travel/Tourism10 years ago
Lagos Seals Western Lodge Hotel In Ikorodu
-
Showbiz3 years agoEstranged Lover Releases Videos of Empress Njamah Bathing
-
Banking8 years agoSort Codes of GTBank Branches in Nigeria
-
Economy3 years agoSubsidy Removal: CNG at N130 Per Litre Cheaper Than Petrol—IPMAN
-
Banking3 years agoSort Codes of UBA Branches in Nigeria
-
Banking3 years agoFirst Bank Announces Planned Downtime
-
Sports3 years agoHighest Paid Nigerian Footballer – How Much Do Nigerian Footballers Earn
