Connect with us

General

Ogoni: Reps Promise Deeper Collaboration With IOCs, NNPC

Published

on

Reps Summon

By Adedapo Adesanya

The House of Representatives Committee on Host Communities says it will liaise with all stakeholders, including International Oil Companies (IOCs) and the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC) to ensure that the Ogoni cleanup project is not short of funds.

The Committee’s Chairman, Mr Dumnamene Dekor, made the commitment when he led members of the Committee on an oversight visit to the Hydrocarbon Pollution Restoration Project (HYPREP) sites in Ogoniland on Friday.

Mr Dekor said the Committee will engage with all stakeholders to ensure that funds are provided for the project, noting that the cleanup of Ogoniland is a priority and must be completed to restore the environment and improve the lives of the people.

“The last time I met with the Board of Trustees’ Chairman during the commissioning of the Bomu water project, we tried to look at what is being owed and sources where we can generate more revenue.

“The money that was earmarked for this project was a take-off grant and it’s almost spent and so we are also going to work with all stakeholders to ensure that funds are provided for the project, the IOCs and NNPC Ltd will make provisions for the tranche that belongs to them because it’s what they owe the people.

“We will work with HYPREP and other stakeholders to ensure all funds are released for the project.”

The House of Representatives Committee also commended the renewed vigour in the delivery of the hydrocarbon pollution remediation project in Ogoniland, and emphasised the need for alternative livelihood means for youths, while urging those involved in illegal activities to desist.

Mr Dekor, who noted that the Committee has spotted gaps and will require some contractors to provide explanations, however, commended the Minister of Environment, the Project Coordinator of HYPREP, and his team for their efforts.

“We have gone to some water project sites, Ogoni Specialist Hospital, and some remediation sites. From what we have seen so far, I can say there is a renewed vigour to the delivery of this project to the people of Ogoniland and I must commend the Minister of Environment, the Project Coordinator of HYPREP and his team, having been around this project for a long time now, I can spot the difference.

“The Ogoni people have gone through a lot of deprivation and pollution for God knows how long and I think the least that can be done is what is going on now. The project coordinator has told us every community will have water, and that gladdens my mind,” he stated.

Also, the HYPREP Project Coordinator, Mr Nenibarini Zabbey, assured that the project was doing a lot, with over 130 projects ongoing simultaneously, including water projects, mangrove restoration, livelihood restoration and soil remediation.

Mr Zabbey noted that the project aims to develop a template not just for Ogoni but for the entire Niger Delta.

“We are excited that the House Reps Committee is here and we have taken note of all their concerns and their commendations.

“From day one, we assured Ogoni people and every stakeholder that we will give them the very best because we’re mindful of the fact that we are developing a template not just for Ogoni but for the entire Niger Delta,” he said.

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

General

Petition to Recall Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan Fails

Published

on

Akpoti-Uduaghan homecoming

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said the petition to recall the Senator representing Kogi Central, Mrs Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, did not meet the requirements.

In a statement on Thursday, the electoral commission said the petition did not meet the requirements of the constitution.

“The petition for the recall of the Senator representing the Kogi Central Senatorial District has not met the requirement of Section 69(a) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended),” INEC wrote on its X handle.

INEC cited Section 69(a) of the Constitution, which stipulates that a petition to recall a senator needs the signatures of more than one-half of the registered voters in the lawmaker’s constituency.

“The total number of registered voters in the Kogi Central Senatorial District is 474,554. More than one-half of this figure (i.e. 50%+1) is 237,277+1, which is at least 237,278 voters,” the statement issued by INEC’s National Commissioner and Chairman, Information & Voter Education Committee, Mr Sam Olumekun read in part.

“Across the 902 Polling Units in 57 Registration Areas and five Local Government Areas that make up the Senatorial District, the Commission ascertained 208,132 signatures/thumbprints from the submission made by the petitioners.”

The development comes some days after the electoral body rejected the petition to recall the embattled lawmaker, citing missing addresses and other issues.

The petitioners later submitted the missing items, and on March 26, the body confirmed that it has received the contact addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of representatives of those who submitted the petition for the recall of the suspended senator.

INEC added that the next step was to scrutinise the list of signatories submitted by the petitioners to ascertain that the petition is signed by more than one half (over 50 per cent) of the registered voters in the constituency.

With this, INEC has concluded that the petition has yet to meet all requirements for the recall of Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan as enshrined in amended 1999 constitution.

Continue Reading

General

Entries Open for 2025 GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize

Published

on

GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

Entrepreneurs in the agricultural sector have been encouraged to enter for the 2025 GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize for a chance to win $160,000 set aside by the organisers.

Applications for the contest opened today, Thursday, April 3, and will close on Tuesday, June 10, a statement made available to Business Post said.

The competition, in its seventh edition, is for promising young co-founders and founders across Africa who have launched businesses across the continent’s agrifood value chain “from seed to fork”.

Judges will be looking for innovative, scalable, and impact-driven agripreneurs not more than 35 years who have built tech-savvy, sustainable businesses tackling food security, job creation, and equitable economic growth.

Participants must be a citizen of an African Union member country, and must serve as a founder or co-founder of a legally registered venture operating in Africa, which must be registered by June 10, 2025.

In September 2025, GoGettaz finalists will pitch their businesses live on stage in Dakar, Senegal during the annual Africa Food Systems Forum (AFSF) taking place from August 31, to September 5, 2025.

Two grand prizes of $50,000 each will be awarded to the most outstanding male and female-led agribusinesses. An additional US$60,000 in Impact Awards will recognize businesses excelling in key areas such as technology, innovation, nutrition, food security, improving rural livelihoods, climate resilience, gender equity, natural resource conservation, and job creation.

“I am continually amazed by the ingenuity and determination of the young entrepreneurs we meet through the GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize Competition each year.

“Their ability to leverage technology and innovative business models showcases the immense potential of the agrifood sector and the pivotal role of entrepreneurship in sustainable development.

“As we launch the 2025 campaign, we are inspired by the opportunity to empower and support young entrepreneurs who are enhancing job creation, uplifting communities, and nourishing Africa’s growing population,” the chief executive of Yara International and co-founder of GoGettaz, Svein Tore Holsether, stated.

Also, the another co-founder of GoGettaz and chairman of Econet Group, Mr Strive Masiyiwa, said, “Africa’s youth are brimming with creative energy and ideas to solve myriad problems with innovative solutions.

“They aren’t waiting around for the perfect conditions; they are seizing the moment and embracing technology to revolutionize the agrifood industry across the continent,” he noted. “They are launching remarkable ventures, but to ensure they can grow and scale, our youth need the right support, access to capital, skills, and enabling environments to grow their young businesses into multimillion-dollar pan-African and global agribusinesses.

“Our amazing young entrepreneurs deserve both recognition and support, which is why GoGettaz exists.”

The GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize Competition is an integral part of the Africa Food Systems Forum (AFSF), the world’s premier forum for African agriculture and food systems, bringing together stakeholders to take practical action and share lessons that will empower Africa’s young leaders for food systems transformation.

With the 2025 AFSF theme Africa’s Youth: Leading Collaboration, Innovation and Implementation of Agri-Food Systems Transformation, the GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize competition is set to empower youth entrepreneurs from across West, Northern, Southern, Central, and Eastern Africa who looking to showcase, grow, and scale, their agrifood businesses.

Continue Reading

General

Firm Warns Against Hampton Harbour Property Transactions

Published

on

Public Notice Hampton Harbour

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

Members of the public have been warned against buying, selling, leasing or letting of Hampton Harbour landed property, emphasising that doing so could be very risky.

This caveat is from Structured HQ Legal (SHQ) via a statement to Business Post on Thursday afternoon through one of its representatives.

The company stressed that the property is currently under legal scrutiny, cautioning that any individual or entity engaging in transactions related to Hampton Harbour does so at their own risk, emphasising further that unauthorized dealings could lead to significant financial loss and expose parties involved to legal consequences.

“The public is strongly advised to exercise caution and ensure due diligence before engaging in any transactions concerning Hampton Harbour.

“Prospective buyers, investors, or stakeholders must seek formal confirmation and approval from Structured HQ Legal or Baggeren International Company Limited to avoid financial and legal risks,” a part of the notice stated.

The legal organisation warned that any person(s) who proceeds with any dealings in relation to the Hampton Harbour property risks both financial loss and potential legal actions noting that such transactions may result in criminal and civil liabilities for trespass or fraud.

The landed property measuring at 19.5 hectares is located at Elegushi Royal Family Land in Ikate, Eti Osa, Local Government Area of Lagos State with reference number 376/376/2777GC. The property is said to belong to the Baggeren International Company.

Continue Reading

Trending