General
Rainstorms Destroy Hundreds of Homes in North-East Nigeria
Zaynab stands next to the remnants of her home she used to share with her six children before it was destroyed by early season rainstorms that brought strong winds and rain to north-east Nigeria.
“I was in the market in the afternoon when the storm came but my six children were inside the house,” said Zaynab as she prepares a meal to break the Ramadan fast. “We lost everything except for a mattress we found across the camp and a few cooking pots.”
As of Friday, May 24, 2019, 395 shelters in camps and camp-like settings in Borno State, including Zaynab’s, have been damaged or destroyed since heavy rains began at the end of April. A total of 41 camps hosting more than 300,000 internally displaced persons (IDPs) have been classified as prone to flooding; some in hard-to-reach areas like Monguno, Konduga, Bama and others.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) in Nigeria will respond to the needs of displaced populations through a multi-sectoral rainy season emergency response plan. The Organization will prioritize its interventions toward households with children under five, pregnant women, elderly people and single female households.
IOM teams are being deployed to repair or strengthen shelters in case of flooding, sensitize people to flood risks and conduct shelter and infrastructure maintenance. Other small-scale community-driven mitigation measures include waste management in camps and building or repairing drainage canals.
Zaynab hails from a farming family from Guduf Nagadio in Borno State, the epicentre of ongoing conflict between Nigerian forces and non-state armed groups. Her husband was killed by armed men as they tried to escape violence three years ago. Since then, her family has resided in an IDP camp in Borno State, home to nearly 1.5 million IDPs.
Storms earlier this month displaced Zaynab’s family yet again. IOM’s Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) team have subsequently relocated them and other families to temporary shelters in the nearby town of Gwoza.
Borno State is affected by strong winds, storms and flooding on an annual basis. Yearly rains often ravage shelters where IDPs live, and cause blockage of water circulation pathways and drainage systems.
CCCM teams have constructed water pumps in the affected displacement sites where water ways or drainage systems are non-existent. Sand bags have been used in flood-prone areas to divert water from flowing into shelters or pathways.
“Preventive measures are key,” said Nadia Tithi, IOM Nigeria Shelter Programme Manager. “Urgent needs remain, and this year, we’re reinforcing more than 3,000 emergency shelters before the strongest rains hit,” she added.
Staff are also repairing structures where IDPs live and distributing nearly 4,000 emergency shelter kits throughout Borno and Adamawa States. The kits serve as a contingency measure and in some cases, have already been distributed to affected households.
With seasonal heavy rains come an increased risk of disease outbreak, particularly cholera, in north-east Nigeria. During the last rainy season in late 2018, the area saw nearly 100 cholera-related deaths. As part of the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programme, IOM is conducting intensive door-to-door hygiene promotion and awareness raising campaigns to prevent the spread of cholera in communities.
IOM Nigeria’s rainy season emergency preparedness is supported by the Office of US Foreign Disaster Assistance, the Directorate-General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations, the Federal Republic of Germany and the Nigerian Humanitarian Fund. This support enables IOM to attend to the most acute needs of displaced populations. IOM is appealing for further funds to ensure a holistic response to the multi-sectoral preparedness needs in north-east Nigeria.
General
TCN Nabs Suspected Vandals of Nkalagu–Abakiliki Line
By Adedapo Adesanya
The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) said it has arrested suspects vandalising its facilities along the Nkalagu–Abakaliki 132kV single circuit transmission line in Ebonyi State.
Its General Manager for Public Affairs, Mrs Ndidi Mbah, in a statement in Abuja, stated that preliminary investigations at the scene established that structural tower members valued at ‘billions of naira’ were removed and sold to illicit scrap metal dealers.
The TCN said that the suspects were indigenes of the Ezza Umuhuali Community in Ishielu Local Government Area of Ebonyi State, stressing that they were apprehended by local youths and members of a vigilante group acting on a tip-off.
“The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) wishes to inform the general public that two suspects were arrested in connection with the vandalism of Towers T15, T16, and T17 along the Nkalagu–Abakaliki 132kV Single Circuit Transmission Line. The arrests were made on May 9, 2026.
“The suspects are both indigenes of the Ezza Umuhuali Community in Ishielu Local Government Area of Ebonyi State. They were apprehended by local youths and members of a vigilante group acting on a tip-off.
“Preliminary investigations at the scene established that structural tower members valued at billions of naira were systematically removed from the affected towers and allegedly sold to illicit scrap metal dealers. Further investigations revealed that the criminal activity had been ongoing from January 2026 until the suspects’ apprehension,” the TCN stated.
The suspects, it explained, were subsequently handed over to the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) at Ishielu Police Station, Ntezi, and have since been formally charged before the Ebonyi State High Court.
It added that while the two principal suspects are currently in custody, investigations are ongoing to identify and apprehend remaining accomplices believed to still be at large.
“TCN strongly condemns this act of economic sabotage, which not only constitutes a grievous assault on national infrastructure but also undermines the stability of electricity supply to Ebonyi State and surrounding communities.
“We commend the vigilance and swift action of the Ezza Umuhuali youths and vigilante group in bringing these suspects to justice. TCN further urges host communities across the country to remain alert and to promptly report any suspicious activity around high-voltage transmission installations to the nearest security agency or TCN office,” the company noted.
General
Dangote Activates Olokola Deep Seaport Plan
By Aduragbemi Omiyale
Dangote Industries Limited has commenced the initial process towards the execution of the multi‑billion-dollar maritime and industrial infrastructure project in Ogun State.
The company wants to make the Olokola Deep Seaport plan a reality. It will be on over 10,000 hectares in the Olokola Free Trade Zone, spanning the Ogun Waterside Local Government Area of Ogun State, extending eastward to the borders of the Ilaje Local Government in Ondo State along the Atlantic coastline (Gulf of Guinea).
It was gathered that the organisation has received the buy-in of host communities,
who are eager to see the project come to fruition in record time.
The project is a calculated business plan to expand into logistics, maritime infrastructure, and export-led industrialization as the Group inches toward becoming a $100 billion annual revenue business; rank among the top 100 companies globally and evolve from a regional giant into a globally recognized manufacturing and business leader transforming Africa’s industrial landscape within the next five years.
Leading a team of the management of the company to the area, the Managing Director for Infrastructure and Logistics at Dangote Industries Limited, Mr Jamil Abubakar, told the excited community leaders that the project, when completed, would transform the area and place the communities on a global pedestal.
According to him, the deep-sea port is a logistics gateway for an integrated industrial ecosystem that will strengthen Africa’s maritime trade capacity and enhance Africa’s regional commerce and logistics across the continent, with a corresponding positive impact on the whole of Africa’s development process.
It would be used to facilitate export of fertilisers, petrochemicals, and refined petroleum products; support future Liquefied Natural Gas exports and enable import of heavy equipment and industrial inputs.
“The Olokola Port project is a major step in opening up Nigeria’s economic potential, strengthening trade, reducing pressure on existing ports and supporting industrial growth.
“It will create real opportunities for host communities through jobs, business activities and long-term developments across both Ogun and Ondo states. With its strategic location, Olokola would serve as a key gateway for exports and imports, boosting Nigeria’s competitiveness in regional and global trade.
“This project reflects our commitment to building infrastructure that benefits both the people and the economy at large,” he stated.
General
Nasarawa Orders Immediate Shutdown of Mining Activities in Endo Community
By Adedapo Adesanya
The Nasarawa State government has ordered the immediate suspension of mining activities at Endo community in Udege, directing Lideal Mining Company to stop operations and vacate the site without delay.
The government also ordered an immediate halt to the movement of raw minerals from the location, tightening restrictions around the disputed mining area.
The latest intervention by the state government signals a tougher stance on mining operations considered capable of threatening public order or operating outside established procedures.
Announcing the decision in Lafia, the state capital, the Commissioner for Environment and Natural Resources, Mrs Margaret Elayo, said the action followed a series of consultations, stakeholder engagements and security assessments linked to activities within the affected mining cadastral unit.
She said the directive was issued in the public interest as part of efforts to maintain order, protect host communities and strengthen regulatory compliance in the state’s mining sector.
According to the commissioner, the company has been instructed to begin the immediate withdrawal of its mining equipment, heavy machinery, trucks, operational facilities and personnel from the site.
Mrs Elayo said the move aligns with the administration of Governor Abdullahi Sule, which has repeatedly pledged to enforce lawful mining practices, preserve peace in mining communities and build investor confidence through transparent regulatory processes.
She stressed that the government’s decision forms part of a broader plan to reposition the mining sector and ensure that mineral development does not undermine security, environmental standards or community stability.
To enforce compliance, the state government has directed the deployment of security personnel to the affected mining site to prevent unauthorised activities and ensure full adherence to the suspension order.
Nasarawa remains one of Nigeria’s key solid minerals states, attracting growing interest from mining investors because it contains lithium, tin, columbite and other strategic minerals.
However, increased mining activity has also heightened concerns around regulation, community disputes, environmental protection and security management.
-
Feature/OPED6 years agoDavos was Different this year
-
Travel/Tourism10 years ago
Lagos Seals Western Lodge Hotel In Ikorodu
-
Showbiz3 years agoEstranged Lover Releases Videos of Empress Njamah Bathing
-
Banking8 years agoSort Codes of GTBank Branches in Nigeria
-
Economy3 years agoSubsidy Removal: CNG at N130 Per Litre Cheaper Than Petrol—IPMAN
-
Banking3 years agoSort Codes of UBA Branches in Nigeria
-
Banking3 years agoFirst Bank Announces Planned Downtime
-
Sports3 years agoHighest Paid Nigerian Footballer – How Much Do Nigerian Footballers Earn
