Connect with us

General

SERAP Demands Asset Declarations of Buhari, GEJ, OBJ, Govs

Published

on

By Dipo Olowookere

A Freedom of Information (FoI) request has been sent to the Chairman of Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB), Mr Muhammed Isah, by a prominent anti-corruption group known as Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP).

The group wants Mr Isah to use his “good offices and leadership position to urgently provide information on specific details of asset declarations submitted to the CCB by successive presidents and state governors since the return of democracy in 1999.”

According to SERAP, it is seeking information on “details of asset declarations by successive presidents and state governors between 1999 and 2019, including details of declarations made immediately after taking offices and thereafter, and for those who have left public offices, at the end of their term of office.”

The group also said it wants information “on the number of asset declarations so far verified by the CCB and the number of those declarations found to be false and deemed to be in breach of the Code of Conduct for Public Officers, by the Bureau.”

In the FOI request dated April 18, 2019, and signed by SERAP deputy director, Mr Kolawole Oluwadare, the organisation said, “While we welcome the judgment by the Code of Conduct Tribunal on Justice Walter Onnoghen, we now urge the CCB to extent its mandates to enforce constitutional provisions on asset declarations by public officers to cover elected officers and to vigorously pursue the prosecution of any such officers who use their powers either as presidents or state governors over public funds to enrich themselves.”

According to SERAP, “While judicial corruption is bad, the level of corruption involving many politicians since 1999 and the entrenched culture of impunity of perpetrators is equally appalling. Publishing the asset declarations of elected public officers since the return of democracy in 1999 to date would improve public trust in the ability of the Bureau to effectively discharge its mandates. This would in turn put pressure on public officers like presidents and state governors to make voluntary public declaration of their assets.”

The FOI request read in part: “SERAP is concerned that many politicians hide behind the fact that members of the public do not have access to their asset declarations to make false declarations, and to cover up assets illegally acquired in corruption or abuse of office. The CCB can use the opportunity presented by the Onnoghen judgment to increase the accountability of politicians through the asset declaration provisions if it is not to be accused of witch-hunting the judiciary.

“The grim condition of many of our citizens since 1999 has been worsened by the deterioration of public services whereby access to clean water and affordable health-care has become a pipe dream and the supply of electricity became epileptic and irregular due to years of grand corruption by many politicians at the highest level of government.

“We would be grateful if the requested information is provided to us within 14 days of the receipt and/or publication of this letter. If we have not heard from you by then, the Registered Trustees of SERAP shall take all appropriate legal action under the Freedom of Information Act to compel you to comply with our request.

“The persistent refusal by successive presidents and state governors to make public their asset declarations is entirely inconsistent with the letter and spirit of the 1999 Constitution, and has been particularly harmful to the country and its people, especially given the widespread evidence of grand corruption among politicians holding public offices in Nigeria.

“The Nigerian Constitution of 1999 (as amended) seeks to prevent corruption and abuse of office through its provisions on the declaration of assets not just by judicial officers but by all public officers including elected officers like presidents and governors.

“Nigerians can no longer accept the excuse by high-ranking government officers that declaring their assets before the CCB is enough, as such pretext is not supported by the oaths of office by elected public officers. The failure by successive presidents and state governors to voluntarily make public their asset declarations would seem to suggest that they have something to hide.

“Given that many public officers being tried for or convicted of corruption are found to have made a false declaration of their assets, the CCB should no longer allow politicians to undermine the sanctity and integrity of the asset declaration provisions of the Constitution by allowing them to continue to exploit legal gaps for illicit enrichment.

“SERAP believes that while elected public officers may not be constitutionally obliged to publicly declare their assets, the Freedom of Information Act 2011 has now provided the mechanism for the CCB to improve transparency and accountability of asset declarations by elected public officers.

“Asset declaration forms are public documents within the meaning of section 109 of the Evidence Act, and therefore, Nigerians are entitled to have access to such information. SERAP urges the CCB to vigorously push for change in law to provide penal sanctions for politicians that fail to make public their asset declarations.

“By Section 1 (1) of the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 2011, SERAP is entitled as of right to request for or gain access to information, including information on the asset declarations by elected public officers since the return of democracy in 1999.

“SERAP notes that provisions on the declaration of assets by all public officers in Nigeria are entrenched in the Code of Conduct for Public Officers, contained in Part I of the Fifth Schedule to the 1999 Nigerian Constitution. The primary objective is to prevent corruption and abuse of office and to ensure transparency in public officers.

“SERAP also notes that public officers for the purposes of the Code include the President and the Vice-President of the Federation, state governors and their deputies; the President and Deputy-President of the Senate, the Speaker and Deputy-Speaker of the House of Representatives and Speakers, the Chief justice of Nigeria, justices of the Supreme Court, the President and justices of the Court of Appeal, and other judicial officers and all staff of courts of law.”

SERAP, therefore, urged the CCB to disclose including by publishing on a dedicated website, details of asset declarations submitted by presidents and state governors since the return of democracy in 1999; disclose details on the number of asset declarations so far verified by the CCB and the number of those declarations found to be false and deemed to be a breach of the Code of Conduct for Public Officers by the Bureau; and immediately take cases of false asset declarations to the Code of Conduct Tribunal for effective prosecution of suspects, and include banning the politicians involved from holding public offices for at least a period of 10 years and seeking refund of stolen public funds as part of the reliefs to be sought before the Tribunal.

Business Post reports that since 1999, four persons have governed Nigeria as Presidents and they are Mr Olusegun Obasanjo, late Mr Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, Mr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan and Mr Muhammadu Buhari.

Dipo Olowookere is a journalist based in Nigeria that has passion for reporting business news stories. At his leisure time, he watches football and supports 3SC of Ibadan. Mr Olowookere can be reached via [email protected]

General

SERAP Urges Tinubu to Probe Alleged Missing N26.9bn USPF Funds

Published

on

SERAP

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has called on President Bola Tinubu to probe the alleged missing or diverted N26.9 billion of public funds from the Universal Service Provision Fund (USPF).

In a Sunday statement posted on its official website, the rights group asked President Tinubu to direct the Minister of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, Mr Bosun Tijani, and the Secretary of the USPF, Mr Yomi Arowosafe, to account for and explain the whereabouts of the missing funds.

In a letter signed by SERAP deputy director, Mr Kolawole Oluwadare, it was said that USPF is vital to expanding telecommunications access in underserved and rural communities, and any diversion of its funds directly undermines its mandate to bridge the digital divide, support infrastructure development, and promote inclusive connectivity.

SERAP demanded that President Tinubu should direct the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice Lateef Fagbemi, SAN to appropriate anti-corruption agencies to promptly and effectively investigate the allegations.

It said, “Anyone suspected to be responsible should face prosecution as appropriate, if there is sufficient admissible evidence, and any missing or diverted public funds should be fully recovered and remitted to the treasury.”

According to the statement, the allegations are documented in the latest annual report published by the Auditor-General of the Federation on 9 September 2025.

The organisation noted that, “These allegations, which include unaccounted expenditures, failure to remit public funds, irregular contract awards, and payments for services not rendered, point to serious breaches of public trust and raise concerns about systemic failures in financial accountability within the USPF.”

SERAP expressed that any failure to investigate the allegations and recover any missing or diverted public funds would not only deprive Nigerians of essential services but also frustrate national development objectives and efforts to achieve digital inclusion.

“The failure to ensure accountability for these funds also risks perpetuating inequality, particularly for marginalised and vulnerable groups who depend most on public interventions to access digital infrastructure,” it warned.

According to the letter, SERAP expressed that they would be grateful if the recommended measures were taken within seven days of the publication of this letter.

SERAP warned that if actions are not taken within seven days, it would consider appropriate legal actions to compel the government, Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), and the USPF to comply with the request in the public interest.

Also in the letter, SERAP alleged that “According to the 2022 audited report by the Auditor-General of the Federation, which was published on 9 September 2025, the Universal Service Provision Fund (USPF) failed to disclose that it maintained a domiciliary (Dollar) account, and failed to grant the Auditor-General access to the books of the account.

“The USPF failed to remit over N13.8 billion [13,874,132.629.50] ‘being 25% annual operating surplus for four years, that is, between 2016 and 2019.’ The Auditor-General fears ‘the money may have been diverted.’ He wants the USPF to account for and remit the money.

“The USPF also ‘claimed to have spent over N11.7 million [N11,793,838.40] on international trainings in October 2020’, but ‘these claims were made without any documents.’ There were no documents, such as a letter of invitation for the programme, no receipt/invoice for registration, and no certificate of participation.”

The rights group further alleged that there was a total lockdown and restriction of movement out of Nigeria on foreign trips during the period (April to October 2020) due to the global COVID-19 pandemic. Yet, payments were made for these trips without any documents.

“The USPF also awarded contracts of over N2.8 billion [N2,853,052,005.90] but without any approval. The USPF failed to ‘provide the procurement procedures and processes adopted in awarding the contracts, including the contract files.’”

Continue Reading

General

NAFDAC, NEPZA Deepen Collaboration on Pharmaceutical Regulation in Free Zones

Published

on

NAFDAC

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nigeria Export Processing Zones Authority (NEPZA) and the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) are strengthening joint oversight within Nigeria’s free trade zones.

The collaboration focuses on pharmaceutical and consumable products manufactured by enterprises operating in the zones.

The Director-General of NAFDAC, Mrs Mojisola Adeyeye, disclosed this during a visit to the Managing Director of NEPZA, Mr Olufemi Ogunyemi, at the authority’s headquarters in Abuja.

Mr Adeyeye said the visit was aimed at deepening collaboration and partnerships that would enable NAFDAC to effectively discharge its regulatory responsibilities within the free trade zones nationwide.

According to her, the agency remains committed to monitoring the importation, exportation, production, and distribution of pharmaceuticals, food products, cosmetics, and other regulated consumables within the zones.

“We must view this meeting as a responsibility we have to the country to protect citizens from fake drugs and consumables infiltrating our markets from known and unknown destinations,” she said.

The NAFDAC boss said the agency had consistently insisted on strict testing procedures and compliance with approved standards to guarantee quality control across regulated manufacturing and export industries.

She emphasised the strategic importance of the free trade zone scheme to Nigeria’s industrialisation drive and broader economic growth objectives, particularly in manufacturing and export promotion activities.

However, Mr Adeyeye said stronger monitoring mechanisms were necessary to ensure the safety, efficacy, and quality of products entering Nigeria’s customs territory from the free trade zones.

“NEPZA and NAFDAC can fix this misalignment by jointly insisting on compliance. We can close this gap through excellent facility management and improved inspection across production lines,” she said.

On his part, Mr Ogunyemi welcomed the collaboration, describing it as critical to addressing alleged irregularities associated with medical supplies and consumable products originating from enterprises operating within the free trade zones.

According to him, the free trade zone scheme, comprising 63 zones and more than 900 enterprises, remains a major gateway for industrial growth, investment attraction, and national economic development.

The NEPZA managing director, however, acknowledged that regulating operations within the zones still presented significant challenges requiring stronger inter-agency collaboration and improved enforcement mechanisms.

“We need a joint effort to address some of the irregularities. We will allow NAFDAC to perform its regulatory functions because the public’s health depends on it,” he said.

Mr Ogunyemi added that NEPZA remained committed to ensuring that free trade zones were not used as safe havens for illicit activities or the circulation of substandard products.

“We fully endorse this partnership and collaboration, which has the potential to enhance the scheme’s global compliance across all production and export activities for the benefit of the country,” he said.

The meeting also featured the confirmation of an eight-member technical committee to examine challenges affecting seamless regulatory operations between both agencies within the nation’s free trade zones.

Continue Reading

General

Court Upholds $100m Judgment Against Chinese Oil Firm in OPL 471 Dispute

Published

on

China National Petroleum Corporation

By Adedapo Adesanya

A Federal High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has reaffirmed a $100 million judgment against China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) in favour of Nigerian indigenous firm, Cutra International Limited, over a disputed Oil Prospecting Licence (OPL) 471.

In a judgment delivered on April 24, 2026, the court dismissed CNPC’s application seeking to overturn an earlier judgment entered on May 23, 2025, in Suit No. FHC/PH/CS/136/2022 between Cutra International Limited and CNPC.

The Chinese oil giant filed the application on October 28, 2025, asking the court to set aside the judgment, but the court held that there was no legal basis to revisit the matter.

The dispute arose from the ownership structure and equity participation in OPL 471, which was awarded by the federal government to CNPC and its Nigerian partner, Cutra International Limited, in 2006/2007.

Under the arrangement, Cutra held a 10 per cent equity interest in the oil block. However, the company alleged that CNPC unilaterally returned the licence to the Federal Government without consulting or obtaining its consent.

Aggrieved by the action, Cutra approached the court, seeking compensation for the loss of benefits and entitlements tied to the asset.

In its earlier judgment, the court ruled in favour of Cutra after finding that evidence presented by the Nigerian firm on the estimated value of the oil block was not challenged by CNPC.

The court noted that Cutra’s claim that the minimum yield from the OPL was valued at $5 billion remained uncontroverted during proceedings.

Relying on the evidence before it, the court awarded damages of $100 million against CNPC.

Dismissing CNPC’s attempt to reopen the case, the court held that it had become functus officio after delivering judgment on the matter.

According to the court, “when a Court takes a position on a matter in controversy before it, that Court becomes functus officio with respect to that matter in controversy, and the Court stands and remains bound by the decision.”

“It is equally the position of the law that where a trial Court in the course of the proceedings in a matter before it decides on a particular issue or question, it becomes functus officio to revisit that issue or question,” the court added.

The ruling is seen as a major legal victory for Cutra International Limited and a significant development in Nigeria’s commercial dispute resolution landscape involving foreign corporate entities.

Legal and industry observers say attention may now shift to the enforcement phase of the judgment, given the international dimensions of the dispute and the substantial financial implications of the court’s decision.

Continue Reading

Trending