Connect with us

Health

Hepatitis E Outbreak Highlights Poor Sanitation Conditions—MSF

Published

on

By Dipo Olowookere

The current outbreak of hepatitis E in Diffa, declared by the Nigerien authorities last week, highlights the poor water and sanitation conditions in which the vast majority of the displaced and refugee population in the region are living, the international medical humanitarian organisation Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said today.

From December 2016 until 23 April 2017, 135 cases of jaundice have been detected in Diffa. Jaundice is one of the most common symptoms of hepatitis E, which causes a yellowing of the skin and eyes.

Many of these cases were pregnant women who needed to be admitted at the main maternal and paediatric health centre in the town of Diffa, where MSF is working with the Ministry of Health; 25 of them died due to acute liver failure. Hepatitis E was finally confirmed by laboratory analysis in mid-April.

Hepatitis E, caused by the HEV virus, can lead to liver failure and death. It does not have a specific treatment and is especially deadly in pregnant women. The disease spreads mainly through contaminated water.

The current outbreak of hepatitis E is closely linked to the deficiencies in water supply, and hygiene and sanitation facilities for the displaced and refugee population in Diffa, some 240,000 people according to official figures. This is a particularly vulnerable population that for years has been suffering the consequences of the conflict between Boko Haram and the armies of the region.

“The water and sanitation activities are clearly not covering the needs of these people, as we have been warning for months” explains Elmounzer Ag Jiddou, MSF’s head of mission in Niger. “For this reason, MSF is calling on the authorities and all humanitarian organisations present in Diffa to rapidly and significantly increase their intervention in this area and thus ensure adequate water supply and sanitation conditions.”

To contain the outbreak, MSF has been working in coordination with the Ministry of Health for several weeks. The organisation is supporting the training of health staff and dedicating specific human and material resources at community, health centres and hospitals levels to ensure early detection of cases, referral to health facilities and adequate case management of patients. At the same time, MSF teams are conducting awareness campaigns on basic hygiene measures, such as handwashing.

MSF has  significantly  increased its water and sanitation activities in Kitchendi, Garin Wazan and Toumour, where around 135,000 people have settled, the vast majority of which are displaced.

The organisation is now also distributing water chlorination tablets, soaps and news jerry cans for 16,800 families in these localities. So far, 105.700 litres of water have been treated and jerry cans, being utilized in the community, have also been cleaned to prevent the spread of the disease.

Dipo Olowookere is a journalist based in Nigeria that has passion for reporting business news stories. At his leisure time, he watches football and supports 3SC of Ibadan. Mr Olowookere can be reached via [email protected]

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

Ebola: NCAA Directs Enhanced Surveillance Across Nigerian Airports

Published

on

ebola

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has directed airlines, airport operators and other aviation stakeholders to intensify public health surveillance measures following the outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in parts of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda.

In a circular dated May 18, 2026, the NCAA said the directive became necessary due to growing concerns over the spread of the disease and the critical role of the aviation sector in preventing cross-border transmission.

The authority noted that although no confirmed case linked to the outbreak has been recorded in Nigeria, it is collaborating with the Federal Ministry of Health, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Port Health Services and international health organisations to closely monitor the situation.

According to the NCAA, health authorities in the DRC recently identified a cluster of severe illnesses among healthcare workers in the Bunia Health Zone in the northeastern part of the country.

Recall that Nigeria also said it would tighten surveillance after the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared a public health emergency after Ebola killed over 80 people in Congo and Uganda.

Laboratory investigations later confirmed the presence of the Bundibugyo virus, a strain of the Ebola virus family known to cause severe viral haemorrhagic disease in humans.

The authority stated that there is currently no licensed vaccine specifically approved for the Bundibugyo strain, while treatment remains largely supportive and symptom-based.

The NCAA listed symptoms associated with Ebola Virus Disease to include sudden fever, severe fatigue, persistent headache, vomiting, abdominal pain and bleeding manifestations such as nosebleeds or vomiting blood.

It stressed that early detection and immediate reporting remain critical to preventing the international spread of the disease.

As part of preventive measures, the authority said disease surveillance systems at airports have been strengthened, while contact tracing, case reporting mechanisms and border health screening procedures are also being reinforced.

The NCAA further directed pilots to notify Air Traffic Control of any suspected communicable disease cases onboard aircraft, in line with the Nigeria Civil Aviation Regulations.

It also instructed flight crew members to complete and submit Aircraft General Declaration forms for all suspected cases and mandated airlines to ensure passenger locator forms are completed and handed over to Port Health Services upon arrival.

The authority added that airlines must ensure aircraft are properly equipped with first aid kits, universal precaution kits and emergency medical kits.

It also urged operators to reinforce crew training on the identification and management of communicable diseases and ensure strict adherence to infection prevention and control guidelines.

The NCAA called on all aviation stakeholders to remain vigilant and comply fully with established public health protocols to safeguard passengers, crew members and the general public from potential health threats.

Continue Reading

Health

Nigeria on High Alert as WHO Declares Ebola Emergency of International Concern

Published

on

ebola dr congo

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) has said that although the country currently has no confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD), it is, nevertheless, actively strengthening surveillance.

This comes as the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern, after 80 deaths were attributed to the disease.

The WHO, however, stopped short of declaring a pandemic, saying it did not meet the necessary criteria. The United Nations agency advised countries against closing borders or restricting trade.

Early symptoms include fever, muscle pain, fatigue, headache, and sore throat, and are followed by vomiting, diarrhoea, a rash, and bleeding.

In a statement by its Director General, Mr Jide Idris, on Sunday, the NCDC noted that it is also ramping up laboratory readiness, infection prevention, and public awareness efforts across the country.

He said the centre was closely monitoring the situation due to increasing regional movement across African countries and was working with relevant stakeholders, including the Port Health Services under the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, to strengthen preparedness within Nigeria’s public health system.

“NCDC is closely monitoring the situation and working with relevant stakeholders, including the Port Health Services, to ensure continued vigilance and preparedness within the public health system,” he stated.

The NCDC boss described Ebola virus disease as a severe viral illness transmitted through direct contact with the blood, bodily fluids, secretions, or contaminated materials of infected persons or animals.

He noted that the disease has an incubation period ranging from two to 21 days, while symptoms include fever, weakness, headache, muscle pain, sore throat, vomiting, diarrhoea, and, in severe cases, unexplained bleeding.

Recall that Nigeria gained international recognition for successfully containing an Ebola outbreak in 2014 after an infected traveller arrived in Lagos from Liberia.

Healthcare workers were advised to maintain a high index of suspicion for Ebola, especially in patients presenting symptoms compatible with the disease alongside relevant travel or exposure history.

Idris stressed the importance of strict adherence to infection prevention and control measures, including early identification and isolation of suspected cases, proper use of personal protective equipment, hand hygiene, and prompt reporting through established channels.

“NCDC will continue to monitor the situation closely and provide updates as necessary,” he added.

NCDC advised Nigerians to remain calm, maintain good hand hygiene, avoid misinformation, and report unusual illnesses promptly.

Continue Reading

Health

NNPC Donates MRI Machine, Others to Nnewi Teaching Hospital

Published

on

NNPC MRI Machine Nnewi teaching hospital

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

A 1.5 Tesla Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) machine has been donated to the Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital (NAUTH), Nnewi, Anambra State, by the corporate social responsibility arm of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited, NNPC Foundation.

In a statement on Sunday by its Chief Corporate Communications Officer, Mr Andy Odeh, the state-owned oil organisation said the medical item was given to the healthcare institution as part of its commitment to improving healthcare access and strengthening medical infrastructure across Nigeria.

The MRI system is expected to significantly improve access to advanced diagnostic imaging services for millions of Nigerians across the South-East (Anambra, Enugu, Imo, Abia and Ebonyi States) as well as neighbouring Delta State.

The foundation also provided critical supporting infrastructure, including RF shielding systems, chillers, backup UPS systems, electrical installations, specialised imaging accessories, ventilation systems, CCTV and oxygen monitoring systems, intercom communication facilities, and other patient comfort technologies designed to ensure optimal operation of the facility.

Before now, patients requiring advanced MRI diagnostic services often faced prolonged waiting periods, exorbitant costs, and the burden of travelling long distances in search of functional imaging centres.

But it is believed that the intervention of the NNPC Foundation would provide succour to patients.

At the presentation of the items to the institution over the weekend, the chief executive of the NNPC, Mr Bashir Bayo Ojulari, represented by the Managing Director of NNPC Foundation, Mrs Emmanuella Arukwe, described the intervention as a strategic investment in healthcare access, diagnostic precision, and improved patient outcomes, noting that the facility aligns with the company’s commitment to building sustainable systems and impactful national institutions.

“The installation of the MRI in NAUTH exemplifies our commitment, as our intent is to build enduring institutions, sustainable systems and legacies. This intervention aligns with our conviction that access to quality healthcare underpins human dignity, longevity and economic productivity,” Mr Ojulari stated.

‎He described the company’s social investments as viable currencies that strengthen the relationship between the Company’s core mandate of providing and managing energy for Nigerians and meeting stakeholders’ expectations.

‎In his remarks, the Governor of Anambra State, Mr Charles Soludo, who was represented by the Commissioner for Health, Dr Afam Obidike, said the intervention would enhance safe and precise diagnosis and treatment for patients across the South-East region.

He also commended NNPC Foundation for donating the MRI facility to the state, noting that the intervention would significantly improve access to quality healthcare services for the people.

The Chief Medical Director of NAUTH, Prof Joseph Ugboaja, thanked the donor for the items, saying NNPC Foundation has demonstrated that corporate social responsibility is not just a policy statement but a lifeline for institutions like ours.

“For too long, patients in our catchment area have had to travel long distances to access this level of diagnostic precision, often at prohibitive costs. With this installation, we will eliminate that burden,” he enthused.

Continue Reading

Trending