Connect with us

Health

New Waste Management Policy Needed Now—Ambode

Published

on

By Dipo Olowookere

Lagos State Governor, Mr Akinwunmi Ambode on Monday underscored the need for the state to evolve a new waste management policy that would not only be befitting for a mega city state but ensure that the State remains clean and safe for healthy living.

The Governor, who spoke at a Annual Lecture of the Centre for Values in Leadership (CVL) held at Muson Centre in Onikan with the theme: “Living Well Together, Tomorrow: The Challenge Of Africa’s Future Cities”, said government was embarking on massive reform in waste management system, expressing optimism that the plan will fully be actualized by July this year.

He said: “We are also embarking on massive reform in the waste and sanitation management system. I don’t like the way the city is and the Private Sector Participants (PSP) collectors are not having enough capacity to do it but again should I tax people to death, the answer is no. I don’t want to tax people and so we need this partnership with the private sector so that they can invest in the sanitation management of the city and in no time maybe by July, the city will change forever.”

Recently, Governor Ambode directed the Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA), to stop the collection of waste bills, while instructing that all payments should be remitted to the coffers of Private Sector Participation (PSP) operators, just as the government also cancelled the monthly environmental sanitation exercise.

It would also be recalled that the State Government had last year signed a $135 million (N85 billion) agreement with a foreign firm as part of its new waste management policy, a partnership under a Public Private Partnership (PPP) initiative expected to last for four years.

Commissioner for the Environment, Dr Babatunde Adejare who also explained the new drive said the investment, which would kick off next year involved the deployment of over 600 Mercedes Benz compactors and the engagement of street sweepers in all wards in the state, while private sector operators would be restricted to handle commercial waste.

Mr Adejare also stated that the new policy would involve closure of existing landfill sites, creation of transfer loading stations in local councils and deployment of over one million ultra-modern waste bins with censors to monitor their movement against theft.

He said this was aimed at introducing new technology into waste management in the state.

He stressed that the decision to contract waste management under a Public Private Participation (PPP) arrangement was because of the high cost which he said the state could not afford because of limited resources.

Under the reform, Mr Adejare said three colour coded waste bags would be distributed to homes for different kinds of waste.

“The result of this new arrangement is that waste disposal will no longer be a challenge as efficient system will be on ground for effective management which will eventually eradicate cart pushers in the process,” he said.

Dipo Olowookere is a journalist based in Nigeria that has passion for reporting business news stories. At his leisure time, he watches football and supports 3SC of Ibadan. Mr Olowookere can be reached via [email protected]

Health

Ebola: NCAA Directs Enhanced Surveillance Across Nigerian Airports

Published

on

ebola

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has directed airlines, airport operators and other aviation stakeholders to intensify public health surveillance measures following the outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in parts of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda.

In a circular dated May 18, 2026, the NCAA said the directive became necessary due to growing concerns over the spread of the disease and the critical role of the aviation sector in preventing cross-border transmission.

The authority noted that although no confirmed case linked to the outbreak has been recorded in Nigeria, it is collaborating with the Federal Ministry of Health, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Port Health Services and international health organisations to closely monitor the situation.

According to the NCAA, health authorities in the DRC recently identified a cluster of severe illnesses among healthcare workers in the Bunia Health Zone in the northeastern part of the country.

Recall that Nigeria also said it would tighten surveillance after the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared a public health emergency after Ebola killed over 80 people in Congo and Uganda.

Laboratory investigations later confirmed the presence of the Bundibugyo virus, a strain of the Ebola virus family known to cause severe viral haemorrhagic disease in humans.

The authority stated that there is currently no licensed vaccine specifically approved for the Bundibugyo strain, while treatment remains largely supportive and symptom-based.

The NCAA listed symptoms associated with Ebola Virus Disease to include sudden fever, severe fatigue, persistent headache, vomiting, abdominal pain and bleeding manifestations such as nosebleeds or vomiting blood.

It stressed that early detection and immediate reporting remain critical to preventing the international spread of the disease.

As part of preventive measures, the authority said disease surveillance systems at airports have been strengthened, while contact tracing, case reporting mechanisms and border health screening procedures are also being reinforced.

The NCAA further directed pilots to notify Air Traffic Control of any suspected communicable disease cases onboard aircraft, in line with the Nigeria Civil Aviation Regulations.

It also instructed flight crew members to complete and submit Aircraft General Declaration forms for all suspected cases and mandated airlines to ensure passenger locator forms are completed and handed over to Port Health Services upon arrival.

The authority added that airlines must ensure aircraft are properly equipped with first aid kits, universal precaution kits and emergency medical kits.

It also urged operators to reinforce crew training on the identification and management of communicable diseases and ensure strict adherence to infection prevention and control guidelines.

The NCAA called on all aviation stakeholders to remain vigilant and comply fully with established public health protocols to safeguard passengers, crew members and the general public from potential health threats.

Continue Reading

Health

Nigeria on High Alert as WHO Declares Ebola Emergency of International Concern

Published

on

ebola dr congo

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) has said that although the country currently has no confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD), it is, nevertheless, actively strengthening surveillance.

This comes as the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern, after 80 deaths were attributed to the disease.

The WHO, however, stopped short of declaring a pandemic, saying it did not meet the necessary criteria. The United Nations agency advised countries against closing borders or restricting trade.

Early symptoms include fever, muscle pain, fatigue, headache, and sore throat, and are followed by vomiting, diarrhoea, a rash, and bleeding.

In a statement by its Director General, Mr Jide Idris, on Sunday, the NCDC noted that it is also ramping up laboratory readiness, infection prevention, and public awareness efforts across the country.

He said the centre was closely monitoring the situation due to increasing regional movement across African countries and was working with relevant stakeholders, including the Port Health Services under the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, to strengthen preparedness within Nigeria’s public health system.

“NCDC is closely monitoring the situation and working with relevant stakeholders, including the Port Health Services, to ensure continued vigilance and preparedness within the public health system,” he stated.

The NCDC boss described Ebola virus disease as a severe viral illness transmitted through direct contact with the blood, bodily fluids, secretions, or contaminated materials of infected persons or animals.

He noted that the disease has an incubation period ranging from two to 21 days, while symptoms include fever, weakness, headache, muscle pain, sore throat, vomiting, diarrhoea, and, in severe cases, unexplained bleeding.

Recall that Nigeria gained international recognition for successfully containing an Ebola outbreak in 2014 after an infected traveller arrived in Lagos from Liberia.

Healthcare workers were advised to maintain a high index of suspicion for Ebola, especially in patients presenting symptoms compatible with the disease alongside relevant travel or exposure history.

Idris stressed the importance of strict adherence to infection prevention and control measures, including early identification and isolation of suspected cases, proper use of personal protective equipment, hand hygiene, and prompt reporting through established channels.

“NCDC will continue to monitor the situation closely and provide updates as necessary,” he added.

NCDC advised Nigerians to remain calm, maintain good hand hygiene, avoid misinformation, and report unusual illnesses promptly.

Continue Reading

Health

NNPC Donates MRI Machine, Others to Nnewi Teaching Hospital

Published

on

NNPC MRI Machine Nnewi teaching hospital

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

A 1.5 Tesla Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) machine has been donated to the Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital (NAUTH), Nnewi, Anambra State, by the corporate social responsibility arm of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited, NNPC Foundation.

In a statement on Sunday by its Chief Corporate Communications Officer, Mr Andy Odeh, the state-owned oil organisation said the medical item was given to the healthcare institution as part of its commitment to improving healthcare access and strengthening medical infrastructure across Nigeria.

The MRI system is expected to significantly improve access to advanced diagnostic imaging services for millions of Nigerians across the South-East (Anambra, Enugu, Imo, Abia and Ebonyi States) as well as neighbouring Delta State.

The foundation also provided critical supporting infrastructure, including RF shielding systems, chillers, backup UPS systems, electrical installations, specialised imaging accessories, ventilation systems, CCTV and oxygen monitoring systems, intercom communication facilities, and other patient comfort technologies designed to ensure optimal operation of the facility.

Before now, patients requiring advanced MRI diagnostic services often faced prolonged waiting periods, exorbitant costs, and the burden of travelling long distances in search of functional imaging centres.

But it is believed that the intervention of the NNPC Foundation would provide succour to patients.

At the presentation of the items to the institution over the weekend, the chief executive of the NNPC, Mr Bashir Bayo Ojulari, represented by the Managing Director of NNPC Foundation, Mrs Emmanuella Arukwe, described the intervention as a strategic investment in healthcare access, diagnostic precision, and improved patient outcomes, noting that the facility aligns with the company’s commitment to building sustainable systems and impactful national institutions.

“The installation of the MRI in NAUTH exemplifies our commitment, as our intent is to build enduring institutions, sustainable systems and legacies. This intervention aligns with our conviction that access to quality healthcare underpins human dignity, longevity and economic productivity,” Mr Ojulari stated.

‎He described the company’s social investments as viable currencies that strengthen the relationship between the Company’s core mandate of providing and managing energy for Nigerians and meeting stakeholders’ expectations.

‎In his remarks, the Governor of Anambra State, Mr Charles Soludo, who was represented by the Commissioner for Health, Dr Afam Obidike, said the intervention would enhance safe and precise diagnosis and treatment for patients across the South-East region.

He also commended NNPC Foundation for donating the MRI facility to the state, noting that the intervention would significantly improve access to quality healthcare services for the people.

The Chief Medical Director of NAUTH, Prof Joseph Ugboaja, thanked the donor for the items, saying NNPC Foundation has demonstrated that corporate social responsibility is not just a policy statement but a lifeline for institutions like ours.

“For too long, patients in our catchment area have had to travel long distances to access this level of diagnostic precision, often at prohibitive costs. With this installation, we will eliminate that burden,” he enthused.

Continue Reading

Trending