Jobs/Appointments
Google Pledges N1.2bn for Nigeria’s One Million Digital Jobs Initiative
By Adedapo Adesanya
Vice President Kashim Shettima has lauded Google’s N1.2 billion grant to the federal government’s one million jobs scheme.
In a statement from Mr Olusola Abiola, the Director of Information at the Office of the Vice President, the announcement of a grant of N1.2 billion to support the administration of President Bola Tinubu’s digital jobs initiative was commendable and worthy of emulation by other companies as he received some executives of Google at the Presidential Villa on Monday.
“Let’s think outside the box and create more job opportunities. We need to walk the talk. It is easy to pontificate but very difficult to bring all of the ideas to fruition. I want to assure you, this administration is ready to partner with you.
“Nigeria is ready for business. The President that we have now wants to leave a legacy that Nigerians will be proud of many years after,” the VP explained.
Speaking about the potentials of Nigeria’s young population, Mr Shettima said “we have a unique opportunity to harness the potentials of our huge youth population to create millions of jobs in the digital sector.
“We have more English-speaking people than many countries in Africa and beyond. We missed the agricultural age, we missed the industrial age, and we are now in the knowledge-driven post-industrial age. We have the potential and a unique opportunity to fill the anticipated global talent deficit.”
“Access Bank is doing a lot in terms of digital skills, training 1000 youths in digital skills to create employment opportunities. We are working with Wema Bank, the Bank of Industry and other partners on this project. We are willing to partner with Google; we will work closely with you for the good of our nation,” he added.
Earlier in his remarks, the Director of Google West Africa, Mr Olumide Balogun, said the company was excited about the Tinubu administration’s vision of creating one million digital jobs and was committing over N1.2 billion in grants to support the initiative.
He said the company, through the programme, would provide digital skills to over 20,000 youths and women to enhance and improve their lives and livelihoods and also enable several startups to grow and create thousands of jobs in the sector.
On his part, Google Africa’s Director of Government Relations and Public Policy, Mr Charles Murito, said the company remains committed to investing in digital infrastructure across Africa, noting that digital transformation in the continent can be the driver of the targeted technology jobs.
He spoke about the potential in Africa, noting that “Google cannot achieve its vision and objectives if it doesn’t cover Nigeria effectively.”
The Google initiative is designed to train 20,000 Nigerian women and youth in digital skills. The programme is facilitated through a grant from Google’s philanthropic arm to “Mind the Gap” in partnership with Data Science Nigeria and the Creative Industry Initiative for Africa.
The initiative aligns with President Bola Tinubu’s administration’s commitment to increasing the participation of young Nigerians in the digital economy by creating 1 million digital jobs.
The delegation from Google also included the Programme Manager, Google Africa, Ms Oluwatamilore Oni; the Government Affairs and Public Policy Manager, Mr Adewolu Adene and Communications and Public Affairs Manager for Google West Africa, Mr Taiwo Kola-Ogunlade, among others.
Jobs/Appointments
CIPM Remains Sole Recognised Regulator of HR Practice in Nigeria
By Adedapo Adesanya
The federal government has reaffirmed the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria (CIPM) as the only legally recognised regulatory body for Human Resource (HR) practice in the country.
This follows the release of a new directive aimed at professionalising HR functions across the Federal Public Service.
The directive, contained in a circular issued by the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation (OHCSF), mandates officers occupying HR positions in Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) to obtain approved professional certifications.
The circular, referenced HCSF/3065/Vol.1/230 and dated May 14, 2026, was signed by the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Mrs Didi Esther Walson-Jack.
According to the circular, the policy is part of ongoing reforms targeted at strengthening professionalism, ethical standards, competence and service delivery within the Federal Civil Service.
The government specifically recognised certifications issued by the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria (CIPM), alongside a few globally recognised HR professional bodies, further reinforcing the Institute’s statutory role in regulating and advancing HR practice in Nigeria.
Under the new policy, officers deployed to HR functions within the Federal Public Service are required to possess approved HR certifications within a 12-month grace period.
It was also granted to affected officers to regularise their certification status, after which only certified professionals will be eligible for deployment into designated HR roles.
Reacting to the development, the President and Chairman of the Governing Council of CIPM, Mr Ahmed Ladan Gobir, described the circular as a landmark step towards institutionalising professionalism in Nigeria’s public sector.
He said the directive aligns the nation’s civil service with global best practices in Human Resource Management while reinforcing the importance of professional competence and ethical compliance in workforce management.
Mr Gobir stressed that CIPM remains the only institute legally empowered to regulate HR practice in Nigeria, noting that the Institute’s enabling law grants it authority to set standards, certify practitioners and enforce discipline within the profession.
“While the circular recognises certain international certifications, it is important to reiterate that within Nigeria, CIPM remains the only Institute with the legal mandate to regulate the practice of Human Resource Management,” he stated.
Jobs/Appointments
Kayode Oyekanmi Replaces Sola Kosoko as LTV General Manager
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
Lagos Television (LTV 8), Alausa, Ikeja, has a new General Manager, and he is Mr Kayode Oyekanmi, replacing Mrs Sola Kosoko, who was ousted by the Lagos State government.
Mr Oyekanmi was presented with his letter of appointment on Wednesday, May 13, 2026, by the Lagos State Head of Service, Mr Bode Agoro, in a brief ceremony.
The new General Manager of the state-owned broadcast station was tasked with using his vast experience in the media space to take LTV 8 to greater heights.
Mr Agoro expressed confidence in Mr Oyekanmi’s capacity to reposition Lagos Television and wished him a successful and impactful tenure of office.
Prior to his appointment, Mr Oyekanmi served as the Director of Strategy Centre at the Lagos State Ministry of Information and Strategy, a position he has held since 2022.
A seasoned brand communications practitioner, Mr Oyekanmi has over three decades of professional experience spanning both the private and public sectors, with expertise in Advertising, Public Relations, and global export services.
He commenced his public service career as a Public Affairs Practitioner on March 1, 2000, with the Lagos State Ministry of Information and Strategy.
The new LTV boss, a Lagos State indigene from Isale Eko, Lagos Island, has received several awards in recognition of his dedication, hard work, and commitment to the journalism profession.
He holds a Master’s degree in Public Administration (MPA) from the University of Lagos and a Bachelor’s degree in English Language and Education from Lagos State University.
He is an active Member of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) and the Nigerian Institute of Public Relations (NIPR).
In addition, he is a voracious reader and a passionate lawn tennis player, and currently serves as the Charter President of the Lagos State Ministry of Information Toastmasters Club.
Jobs/Appointments
Tinubu Chooses Famadewa as Special Adviser on Homeland Security
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
A retired Major-General, Mr Adeyinka Famadewa, has been appointed as the Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Homeland Security.
The appointee retired from the military after over three decades, with experience in national security strategy, intelligence fusion, counter-terrorism operations, and international security diplomacy.
His career reflects a rare blend of operational excellence, strategic foresight, and institutional leadership in safeguarding Nigeria’s territorial integrity and national interests, a circular signed by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Mr George Akume, said.
It was disclosed that Mr Famadewa was chosen for the position because of his exceptional record of service, strategic expertise, and outstanding contributions to Nigeria’s national security architecture.
The notice said the appointment underscores the commitment of the administration of Mr Tinubu to strengthening internal security coordination, enhancing intelligence-driven operations, and deepening inter-agency collaboration in addressing emerging security threats across the country.
The President expressed confidence that Mr Famadewa’s appointment will further enhance the government’s efforts toward achieving a safer and more secure Nigeria through improved coordination of homeland security initiatives, intelligence integration, and proactive risk management.
He also urged him to deploy his wealth of experience, professionalism, and strategic insight in advancing national security objectives and supporting the administration’s agenda.
-
Feature/OPED6 years agoDavos was Different this year
-
Travel/Tourism10 years ago
Lagos Seals Western Lodge Hotel In Ikorodu
-
Showbiz3 years agoEstranged Lover Releases Videos of Empress Njamah Bathing
-
Banking8 years agoSort Codes of GTBank Branches in Nigeria
-
Economy3 years agoSubsidy Removal: CNG at N130 Per Litre Cheaper Than Petrol—IPMAN
-
Banking3 years agoSort Codes of UBA Branches in Nigeria
-
Banking3 years agoFirst Bank Announces Planned Downtime
-
Sports3 years agoHighest Paid Nigerian Footballer – How Much Do Nigerian Footballers Earn

Pingback: Google Pledges N1.2bn for Nigeria’s One Million Digital Jobs Initiative – African Budget Bureau