General
Why Ajaokuta Steel Project is Currently Delayed—FG
By Adedapo Adesanya
The federal government has said the COVID-19 pandemic has drawn back plans to resuscitate the Ajaokuta Steel Project by a further five months, putting pressure on progress made so far.
The Minister of Mines and Steel Development, Mr Olamilekan Adegbite, made this disclosure on Monday during an interactive session on the government’s plans for the solid mineral sector during and after the current global health crisis.
Mr Adegbite said the COVID-19 pandemic had halted the government’s plans, which has adversely affected the solid mineral sector considering its operations were reliant on foreign experts, who had to be confined in their countries.
“The pandemic, for instance, has limited our ability to go forward on the Ajaokuta Steel project, we are four to five months behind schedule, according to government’s plans to resuscitate the complex before the pandemic,” he said.
This, he said, was specifically so because Russian experts who supposed to come for the technical audit of the complex could not come because of the pandemic and the ban on flight operations.
He added that the idea was for the experts to come into the country and be hosted for 12 weeks within which they were expected to do a proper audit of the Ajaokuta Steel Complex.
He said this had been put on hold until the lockdown occasioned by the COVID-19 pandemic and the ban on air travel was lifted.
“When this is lifted and we think it is safe enough, these experts will come into the country and we will continue where we stopped,” the Minister said.
He added that the Ajaokuta Project Presidential Implementation Team (APPIT) was, however, still working but that the audit was very important to it.
According to him, the technical audit report is necessary to enable the APPIT to know the cost implication.
He added that because of the complexity of the Ajaokuta Steel Complex, an online audit was not possible as people had to be physically present.
The minister added that government was, however, making efforts to mitigate the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on the sector.
“Now, the government needs to come up with a response because the COVID-19 pandemic has adversely affected our sector, as a lot of miners could not go to work for obvious reasons.
“The consequence of this is that the output is zero and a lot of miners had been impoverished, this, however, is not peculiar to the sector, because it goes all round.
“What the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration has decided to do is to face this head-on, and that is why we have come up with post-COVID-19 rescue operations.
“In this, the government proposes to spend N2.3 trillion, this is what the government intends to inject into the economy to counter the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic,” he said.
The minister said that the money had been allotted to different sectors of the economy, including the solid mineral sector.
“A large chunk of the money had been allotted to the sector to help counter the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“We intend to spend this fund and some other funds that are available to us to improve artisanal mining in the country and deepen our explorative projects,” Mr Adegbite added.
He further said that the ministry was determined to take its roadshows around the world to attract foreign investors into the country post-COVD-19.
He gave an assurance that the government was working and putting measures in place to ensure that the country comes up ahead of the COVID-19 curve to ensure that its effects are minimal.
General
Nigerian Bottling Company Bridges Education, Employability Gap
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
The Nigerian Bottling Company (NBC) has reaffirmed its determination to bridge the gap between education and employability in the country by sustaining its flagship Youth Empowered (YE) programme.
This initiative provides hands-on learning, real-world insights, and access to career-shaping opportunities to young Nigerians.
The 2026 edition of the scheme commenced on February 2 at the University of Lagos (UNILAG), with participants mainly young people between the ages of 16 and 35.
A statement from the organisation said this year’s rollout will expand to more tertiary institutions, including the Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA). This follows a successful 2025 tour that reached seven cities across the country, including Makurdi, Jos, Benin, Kaduna, Asaba, Akure, and Port Harcourt.
Participants in the 2026 programme will receive training across key modules designed to support personal, professional, and business growth, including Business Life Skills, Adaptability and Resilience, Financial Literacy, Customer Service and Communication, Sales and Negotiation Skills, and Workplace Ethics.
The sessions will also feature breakout workshops on Business Planning, Project Management, and Time Management, alongside the Director’s Grant Pitch Competition, where participants can pitch their ideas for a chance to win business funding.
In addition to skills development, NBC’s People and Culture team will be present throughout the programme to identify outstanding talent for future opportunities within the organisation, further strengthening the connection between learning, employment, and long-term career growth.
One of the participants at the UNILAG training, Waliat Adedogun, who received a cash grant through the Director’s Grant Pitch Competition to support her small business, said: “Youth Empowered gave me more than training; it gave me clarity and confidence. Winning the grant means I can finally take my business idea from a dream into something real. I now feel prepared to build, grow, and create opportunities not just for myself, but for others too.”
Since its launch in 2017, the scheme has impacted more than 70,000 young Nigerians, equipping participants with practical skills, confidence, and exposure needed to succeed in today’s dynamic workplace and entrepreneurial landscape.
This year’s programme is being delivered in collaboration with Fate Foundation as the implementing partner, with funding support from The Coca-Cola HBC Foundation.
Last year, 10 beneficiaries were selected for six-month paid internships across NBC locations in Lagos, Ibadan, Asejire, and Challawa, gaining direct industry exposure.
Additionally, three outstanding participants received sponsorship for an all-expenses-paid intensive culinary training programme and were awarded N1 million each to support the launch of their businesses.
General
INEC Fixes February 20 for 2027 Presidential, NASS Elections
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
The 2027 presidential and National Assembly elections will take place on Saturday, February 20, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has revealed.
In a notice for the 2027 general polls issued on Friday, the electoral umpire also disclosed that the governorship and state assembly elections for next year would be on Saturday, March 6.
Speaking at a news briefing in Abuja today, the chairman of INEC, Mr Joash Amupitan, expressed the readiness of the commission to conduct the polls next year, which is 12 months away.
The timetable issued by the organisation for the polls comes when the federal parliament has yet to transmit the amended electoral bill to President Bola Tinubu for assent.
This week, the Senate passed the electoral bill, reducing the notice of elections from 360 days to 180 days, while the transmission of results was mandated with a proviso.
Recall that on February 4, INEC said it was ready to go ahead with preparations for the elections despite the delay in the passage of the amended electoral law of 2022.
General
NGIC Pipeline Network to Experience 4-Day Gas Supply Shortage
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
The pipeline network of the NNPC Gas Infrastructure Company Limited (NGIC) will witness a temporary reduction in gas supply for four days.
This information was revealed by the Chief Corporate Communications Officer of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited, Mr Andy Odeh, in a statement on Thursday night.
A key supplier of gas into the NGIC pipeline network is Seplat Energy Plc, a joint venture partner of the state-owned oil agency.
It was disclosed that the facility would undergo routine maintenance from Thursday. February 12 to Sunday, February 15, 2026.
The NNPC stated that, “This planned activity forms part of standard industry safety and asset integrity protocols designed to ensure the continued reliability, efficiency, and safe operation of critical gas infrastructure.”
“Periodic maintenance of this nature is essential to sustain optimal system performance, strengthen operational resilience, and minimise the risk of unplanned outages,” it added.
“During the four-day maintenance period, there will be a temporary reduction in gas supply into the NGIC pipeline network. As a result, some power generation companies reliant on this supply may experience reduced gas availability, which could modestly impact electricity generation levels within the timeframe.
“NNPC Ltd and Seplat Energy are working closely to ensure that the maintenance is executed safely and completed as scheduled. In parallel, NNPC Gas Marketing Limited (NGML) is engaging alternative gas suppliers to mitigate anticipated supply gaps and maintain stability across the network,” the statement further said.
“Upon completion of the maintenance exercise, full gas supply into the NGIC system is expected to resume promptly, enabling affected power generation companies to return to normal operations,” it concluded.
-
Feature/OPED6 years agoDavos was Different this year
-
Travel/Tourism10 years ago
Lagos Seals Western Lodge Hotel In Ikorodu
-
Showbiz3 years agoEstranged Lover Releases Videos of Empress Njamah Bathing
-
Banking8 years agoSort Codes of GTBank Branches in Nigeria
-
Economy3 years agoSubsidy Removal: CNG at N130 Per Litre Cheaper Than Petrol—IPMAN
-
Banking3 years agoSort Codes of UBA Branches in Nigeria
-
Banking3 years agoFirst Bank Announces Planned Downtime
-
Sports3 years agoHighest Paid Nigerian Footballer – How Much Do Nigerian Footballers Earn









