Auto
FG, LASG Warn Public to Stay Off Airport Road Flyover
By Adedapo Adesanya
The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos State, Mr Olukayode Popoola, has warned the public to stay off the Airport Road Flyover in Lagos pending the determination of its structural safety following a fire incident on Thursday.
Yesterday, the bridge, which runs over Toyota Bus Stop on the Apapa-Oshodi-Ojota-Oworonshoki Expressway being reconstructed, was engulfed by fire when a petrol tanker burst into flames.
In a joint inspection of the affected structures by the federal and Lagos State governments on Friday, Mr Popoola raised concerns over the safety of the bridge, saying that its safe use had yet to be ascertained.
He explained that samples have been taken from the burnt bridge for analysis in order to ascertain the level of damage and where to carry out the necessary repairs.
Speaking on the damage with available data, Mr Popoola said that 200 meters of the rigid pavement of the Apapa-Oshodi-Ojota-Oworonshoki Expressway reconstruction project, being carried by the Dangote Group, was burnt.
He added that the deck of the flyover was burnt and its pier badly damaged, raising fears of the structural instability of the bridge.
The controller said that the bridge was barricaded after the fire because of safety concerns, regretting that the barriers were removed at night.
He warned that there would be risks in using the bridge.
“We are taking some samples to go and analyse before we know the structural stability, but physically, a lot of damage has been done to this pier of the bridge.
“The integrity is already compromised.
“Yesterday the road was barricaded but in the night, some people went and removed the barricade.
“We are advising that members of the public should not take the risk of using this bridge,” he said.
He further said that about 200 meters of the bridge deck, as well as the pavement of Apapa-Oshodi-Ojota-Oworonshoki Expressway being reconstructed, was affected by the inferno.
He added that one of the piers – pillars of the bridge – was badly burnt, making the ministry unsure of the structural integrity and safety of the bridge.
He said that outcome of tests would ensure appropriate action on the flyover constructed by Julius Berger Plc, as well as the highway under reconstruction by the Dangote Group.
According to the controller, the Federal Highway Act empowers the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing to prosecute whoever caused damage to assets of the Federal Government.
“This Apapa-Oshodi-Ojota-Oworonshoki Expressway project is ongoing, and we have not even completed it. Now, due to the carelessness of drivers, this fire occurred, and you can see the level of the damage.
“The pavement that we have spent a lot of money, up to 200 meters – have been affected; that will cost a lot of money,” he said.
Mr Popoola noted that the ministry had been working in collaboration with Lagos State Government to tackle trucks’ menace and other infractions affecting road infrastructure.
The Special Adviser to Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Works and Infrastructure, Mrs Aramide Adeyoye, said that the state government, through its Ministry of Transportation, would embark on strict enforcement of road worthiness regulation.
She said that the government’s agents would begin to enter depots and loading bays for petrol tankers to ensure that those which are not roadworthy will not lift petroleum products.
Mrs Adeyoye said that truck accident causing damage to road infrastructure had become recurrent.
“Oftentimes, they claim that the roads are bad. What do you say about this one now that the road is very good, there is no pothole anywhere,” she said.
She called for attitudinal change noting that fires caused by tanker accidents had caused much hardship on road users, urging that road unworthy trucks should stop coming into Lagos State.
She said that the support of the Federal Government was important in tackling the menace.
Mr Cyril Zango, Deputy Corps Commander (Operations), Lagos Sector Command of the Federal Roads Safety Corps, said the offending truck had been impounded.
He said that investigations were on as regards the accident, adding that, if found guilty, the owner and the driver of the tanker would be prosecuted to serve as a deterrent to other road users.
Mr Zango said that articulated vehicle drivers engaged sharp practices to evade checks.
Auto
Interswitch Digitises Nigeria’s Interstate Travel With Ticket Vending Platform
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
Nigeria’s interstate transport ecosystem has been digitalised by the introduction of a ticket vending platform by one of Africa’s leading integrated payments and digital commerce companies, Interswitch.
This comprehensive digital solution was designed to transform ticketing, streamline operations, and enhance service delivery.
At the core of the solution is a secure, token-based system that allows travellers to purchase digital tickets across multiple channels, including web, mobile, and dedicated point-of-sale (POS) devices deployed at transport terminals.
These tokens serve as verifiable digital vouchers, which are validated and redeemed at boarding points, significantly reducing inefficiencies associated with manual ticketing, cash handling, and fragmented sales processes.
It was developed as both an operational management system and a digital marketplace to allow transport operators, particularly small and medium-scale businesses, to digitise their end-to-end processes while connecting to a broader customer base through the Quickteller ecosystem.
With this innovation, operators can seamlessly create and manage routes, oversee terminal activities, track sales, and access real-time performance insights from a single, centralised platform.
It also introduces a marketplace experience that enables travellers to search, compare, and select transport options across multiple operators based on routes, schedules, and pricing. This not only simplifies journey planning but also promotes transparency and choice for commuters.
The platform also supports corporate and institutional users by enabling bulk token purchases, offering a flexible and efficient solution for organisations managing employee or group travel.
In addition, it delivers value to regulators and stakeholders within the transport ecosystem by providing access to structured data and actionable insights that can support oversight, licensing, and consumer protection efforts.
“Transportation remains a critical backbone of Nigeria’s economy, yet much of the sector still operates with fragmented systems and manual processes that limit efficiency and growth.
“With the Ticket Vending Platform, we are introducing a scalable digital infrastructure that empowers transport operators to modernise their operations, expand their reach, and deliver a more seamless experience to travellers.
“Beyond ticketing, this is about creating a connected ecosystem, one that brings together operators, commuters, and regulators on a unified platform, while driving transparency, efficiency, and long-term value across the industry,” the Managing Director for Industry Ecosystems at Interswitch, Ms Chinyere Don-Okhuofu, said.
Auto
FRSC, Brewery Companies Renew Pact to Tackle Drink-Driving
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has renewed a strategic partnership with major brewing companies in Nigeria to intensify efforts against drunk driving and improve road safety nationwide.
The renewed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), signed with members of the Beer Sectoral Group (BSG), extends the collaboration for another five years, with both sides pledging to deepen public awareness, enforcement and community engagement.
FRSC Corps Marshal, Shehu Mohammed, said the partnership underscores the importance of synergy between government and the private sector in addressing road crashes, particularly those linked to alcohol consumption.
He stressed that saving lives on Nigerian roads requires sustained collaboration, adding that the corps would continue to work with industry players to promote responsible behaviour among motorists.
Speaking on behalf of the BSG, Managing Director of Nigerian Breweries Plc and Chairman BSG, Thibaut Boidin, said the renewal reflects the industry’s commitment to sustained collaboration with regulators. He cited previous joint campaigns, including the Don’t Drink and Drive Campaign, as impactful, adding that the next phase would focus on expanding reach and strengthening implementation.
Also speaking, the Managing Director of Guinness Nigeria, Girish Sharma, said the industry remains committed to supporting initiatives that promote safer roads. He noted that while alcoholic beverages are often blamed for road crashes, the real issue lies in irresponsible consumption, particularly drinking and driving.
“We are here to work with you and ensure that this programme grows bigger and delivers real impact. Saving lives is what matters most,” he said.
Similarly, the chief executive of International Breweries Plc, Mr Nicholas Kade, commended the FRSC for its dedication, describing the corps’ efforts as critical to making communities safer. He said the brewing industry would continue to support initiatives that promote responsible drinking and road safety.
The Executive Director of the Beer Sectoral Group, Ms Abiola Laseinde, described the renewal as a milestone in public-private collaboration.
She said the partnership had driven nationwide campaigns against drunk-driving, influenced behaviour and reached millions of Nigerians with road safety messages.
Ms Laseinde added that both parties would scale up interventions in the next five years to further reduce crashes and promote responsible alcohol consumption.
The FRSC and BSG’s partnership has been central to national campaigns discouraging drunk-driving, with stakeholders expressing optimism that the renewed agreement will deliver stronger outcomes.
Auto
NRS Denies Introduction of New Vehicle Tax from July 1
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
The Nigeria Revenue Service (NRS) refuted reports making the rounds on social media that the federal government plans to introduce a new tax on vehicles from July 1, 2026.
Mr Dare Adekambi, who serves as the Special Adviser to the NRS Chairman, Mr Zach Adedeji, and spokesperson for the organisation, said in a statement that the government was not planning to introduce the vehicle tax as claimed.
He described a viral infographic purporting the policy as false and misleading, urging members of the public to disregard it.
Mr Adekambi advised citizens to only rely on information from the NRS, urging them to follow the company its official handles on all social media platforms and its website for accurate information about tax and its activities.
In the infographic, motorists were directed to pay an unspecified vehicle tax rate online or at approved banks and agencies. The website listed as NRS’s was the old one, http://www.firs.gov.ng and not the new http://www.nrs.gov.ng created after it was rebranded.
“The NRS wishes to state categorically that the information did not emanate from the service or any government agency.
“Citizens are, therefore, advised to disregard the fabricated messages designed to mislead the public and instead rely on official government channels for information on government policies,” Mr Adekambi said in the statement.
-
Feature/OPED6 years agoDavos was Different this year
-
Travel/Tourism10 years ago
Lagos Seals Western Lodge Hotel In Ikorodu
-
Showbiz3 years agoEstranged Lover Releases Videos of Empress Njamah Bathing
-
Banking8 years agoSort Codes of GTBank Branches in Nigeria
-
Economy3 years agoSubsidy Removal: CNG at N130 Per Litre Cheaper Than Petrol—IPMAN
-
Banking3 years agoSort Codes of UBA Branches in Nigeria
-
Banking3 years agoFirst Bank Announces Planned Downtime
-
Sports3 years agoHighest Paid Nigerian Footballer – How Much Do Nigerian Footballers Earn
