Connect with us

Auto

Truck Owners Under NARTO Threaten Strike from Monday

Published

on

NARTO truck owners

By Adedapo Adesanya

Members of the Nigerian Association of Road Transport Owners (NARTO) have vowed to suspend their operations from Monday, February 19 due to challenges in their businesses.

The National President of the group, Mr Yusuf Lawal Othman, in a statement in Abuja, declared that his members would park their trucks as the operating environment was no longer favourable to them.

“What we spend on the operation is more than what we get in total: both in local and bridging,” he said, noting that his members have been operating at a loss and it is no longer sustainable for them to endure the losses.

NARTO’s National President said, “We will have to suspend operations latest from now till on Monday. We cannot continue to operate at a loss. Most people have parked. A lot more are going to the park.

“But from the point of the association itself, we are going to suspend operations on Monday.”

He stated that efforts were made to solicit the intervention of all the key stakeholders without any positive result, stating that letters were written to the Chief of Staff to President Bola Tinubu; Minister of Petroleum Resources; Director General, Department of State Services (DSS); Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA) Chief Executive Officer; Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) Group Chief Executive Officer; and the marketers.

“We have written letters up to the level of the Chief of Staff. We have written to the Minister of Petroleum Resources (Oil) I will send you a copy,” he added.

“We have written to DG SSS. We have written to the GCEO. We have written to the Authority Chief Executive. We have written to the Major Marketers.”

He stressed that despite the notification to the above stakeholders, there had been no response.

He recalled that the same freight rate that was in force while former President Muhammadu Buhari was in government is still subsisting, adding that members have been enduring for several months

According to him, the previously fixed N32 Lagos to Abuja freight rate that was implemented while the dollar was N650 is still retained now that the Dollar was trading as high as N1,615.

He said, “Everybody is aware that all our consumables in terms of operation are not produced in the country.

“So, with the rate of dollars, every consumable has increased. But the freight they are paying us has been the same even during Buhari’s time.

“So, how is that feasible? During Buhari’s time, the dollar was N650. Today, the dollar is now N1,615. The average freight from Lagos to Abuja is N32.”

He further explained, “What I mean by local, you load Lagos, you discharge in Lagos. And bridging, you load from Lagos, you come to Abuja. Lagos to Lagos, we are paid N120,000.

“AGO (diesel) alone to distribute fuel within Lagos is N140,000 because it is N1,400 per litre. So, they give you N120,000 and you spend N140,000. So, how do you want to operate?” he quipped, “Talk less of cost of vehicles, cost of loading, driver’s allowance. That is for local. For bridging, Lagos to Abuja, they gave us N32.

“If you have a truck of 40,000 litres, you are talking of N1,280,000-N1,216,000. Less 5 per cent of the amount of N1,280,000 Withholding Tax N64,000. Less than 55,000 loading expenses and 15,000 driver allowance.

“Total expenses N134,000 while balance is N1,146,000. AGO is N1400 for 900 litres, totalling N1260,000. There is a total loss of N114,000. The diesel that you use from Lagos to Abuja is 900 litres. So when you use 900 litres at 1,400, that will be N1,260,000. So it is by far more than what is paid.

“Meanwhile the cost of a truck New truck head and tank is N95 million and used is N50 million. So imagine the Amount invested on each truck?”

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

Auto

Interswitch Digitises Nigeria’s Interstate Travel With Ticket Vending Platform

Published

on

Interswitch

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

Nigeria’s interstate transport ecosystem has been digitalised by the introduction of a ticket vending platform by one of Africa’s leading integrated payments and digital commerce companies, Interswitch.

This comprehensive digital solution was designed to transform ticketing, streamline operations, and enhance service delivery.

At the core of the solution is a secure, token-based system that allows travellers to purchase digital tickets across multiple channels, including web, mobile, and dedicated point-of-sale (POS) devices deployed at transport terminals.

These tokens serve as verifiable digital vouchers, which are validated and redeemed at boarding points, significantly reducing inefficiencies associated with manual ticketing, cash handling, and fragmented sales processes.

It was developed as both an operational management system and a digital marketplace to allow transport operators, particularly small and medium-scale businesses, to digitise their end-to-end processes while connecting to a broader customer base through the Quickteller ecosystem.

With this innovation, operators can seamlessly create and manage routes, oversee terminal activities, track sales, and access real-time performance insights from a single, centralised platform.

It also introduces a marketplace experience that enables travellers to search, compare, and select transport options across multiple operators based on routes, schedules, and pricing. This not only simplifies journey planning but also promotes transparency and choice for commuters.

The platform also supports corporate and institutional users by enabling bulk token purchases, offering a flexible and efficient solution for organisations managing employee or group travel.

In addition, it delivers value to regulators and stakeholders within the transport ecosystem by providing access to structured data and actionable insights that can support oversight, licensing, and consumer protection efforts.

“Transportation remains a critical backbone of Nigeria’s economy, yet much of the sector still operates with fragmented systems and manual processes that limit efficiency and growth.

“With the Ticket Vending Platform, we are introducing a scalable digital infrastructure that empowers transport operators to modernise their operations, expand their reach, and deliver a more seamless experience to travellers.

“Beyond ticketing, this is about creating a connected ecosystem, one that brings together operators, commuters, and regulators on a unified platform, while driving transparency, efficiency, and long-term value across the industry,” the Managing Director for Industry Ecosystems at Interswitch, Ms Chinyere Don-Okhuofu, said.

Continue Reading

Auto

FRSC, Brewery Companies Renew Pact to Tackle Drink-Driving

Published

on

FRSC Brewery Companies

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has renewed a strategic partnership with major brewing companies in Nigeria to intensify efforts against drunk driving and improve road safety nationwide.

The renewed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), signed with members of the Beer Sectoral Group (BSG), extends the collaboration for another five years, with both sides pledging to deepen public awareness, enforcement and community engagement.

FRSC Corps Marshal, Shehu Mohammed, said the partnership underscores the importance of synergy between government and the private sector in addressing road crashes, particularly those linked to alcohol consumption.

He stressed that saving lives on Nigerian roads requires sustained collaboration, adding that the corps would continue to work with industry players to promote responsible behaviour among motorists.

Speaking on behalf of the BSG, Managing Director of Nigerian Breweries Plc and Chairman BSG, Thibaut Boidin, said the renewal reflects the industry’s commitment to sustained collaboration with regulators. He cited previous joint campaigns, including the Don’t Drink and Drive Campaign, as impactful, adding that the next phase would focus on expanding reach and strengthening implementation.

Also speaking, the Managing Director of Guinness Nigeria, Girish Sharma, said the industry remains committed to supporting initiatives that promote safer roads. He noted that while alcoholic beverages are often blamed for road crashes, the real issue lies in irresponsible consumption, particularly drinking and driving.

“We are here to work with you and ensure that this programme grows bigger and delivers real impact. Saving lives is what matters most,” he said.

Similarly, the chief executive of International Breweries Plc, Mr Nicholas Kade, commended the FRSC for its dedication, describing the corps’ efforts as critical to making communities safer. He said the brewing industry would continue to support initiatives that promote responsible drinking and road safety.

The Executive Director of the Beer Sectoral Group, Ms Abiola Laseinde, described the renewal as a milestone in public-private collaboration.

She said the partnership had driven nationwide campaigns against drunk-driving, influenced behaviour and reached millions of Nigerians with road safety messages.

Ms Laseinde added that both parties would scale up interventions in the next five years to further reduce crashes and promote responsible alcohol consumption.

The FRSC and BSG’s partnership has been central to national campaigns discouraging drunk-driving, with stakeholders expressing optimism that the renewed agreement will deliver stronger outcomes.

Continue Reading

Auto

NRS Denies Introduction of New Vehicle Tax from July 1

Published

on

new vehicle tax

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The Nigeria Revenue Service (NRS) refuted reports making the rounds on social media that the federal government plans to introduce a new tax on vehicles from July 1, 2026.

Mr Dare Adekambi, who serves as the Special Adviser to the NRS Chairman, Mr Zach Adedeji, and spokesperson for the organisation, said in a statement that the government was not planning to introduce the vehicle tax as claimed.

He described a viral infographic purporting the policy as false and misleading, urging members of the public to disregard it.

Mr Adekambi advised citizens to only rely on information from the NRS, urging them to follow the company its official handles on all social media platforms and its website for accurate information about tax and its activities.

In the infographic, motorists were directed to pay an unspecified vehicle tax rate online or at approved banks and agencies. The website listed as NRS’s was the old one, http://www.firs.gov.ng and not the new http://www.nrs.gov.ng created after it was rebranded.

“The NRS wishes to state categorically that the information did not emanate from the service or any government agency.

“Citizens are, therefore, advised to disregard the fabricated messages designed to mislead the public and instead rely on official government channels for information on government policies,” Mr Adekambi said in the statement.

Continue Reading

Trending