Connect with us

Banking

Development Bank of Nigeria Donates N100m for COVID-19

Published

on

Development Bank of Nigeria

The sum of N100 million has been donated by the Development Bank of Nigeria (DBN) towards the fight against the deadly coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19) in the country.

The money was donated by the development finance institution to address the major financing challenges facing Micro, Small and Medium Scale Enterprises (MSMEs) in Nigeria.

According to Mr Tony Okpanachi, the Managing Director of the bank established by the federal government, this gesture was a demonstration of the bank’s commitment to the fight against COVID-19 pandemic that has infected over 2.6 million people.

“I wish to express the Bank’s profound appreciation for the measures introduced by the federal government and the initiatives of mobilizing resources towards controlling the spread of the disease in Nigeria.

“The donation is borne out of our sincere concern and commitment towards curtailing the spread of the deadly COVID-19 and finding a lasting solution to the pandemic,” the MD/CEO of the bank said.

Mr Okpanachi described the federal government’s invitation to all Nigerians to support the fight against the pandemic as a clarion call that must be heeded for a better Nigeria.

According to him, “The fight against the corona virus disease is indeed a fight for all of humanity and we must heed the clarion call to come together and demonstrate our commitment towards eradicating the deadly pandemic for a better, safer and more resilient Nigeria.”

While expressing his optimism for a quick and successful eradication of the disease, not only in Nigeria, but in the world at large, the DBN’s Managing Director prayed for all those who, in one way or the other, have been affected by the pandemic.

“Our prayers are with the infected persons, those who have lost their lives to the disease and their bereaved families, the medical personnel at the forefront of this battle, as well as, all those who are managing the efforts of the government in the fight against this pandemic,” he concluded.

COVID-19 is a new fatal virus that has not been previously identified. It was first identified in China, in December 2019.

The virus, which has been declared as a pandemic by the World Health Organisation (WHO), has spread to many countries of the world, including Nigeria.

Dipo Olowookere is a journalist based in Nigeria that has passion for reporting business news stories. At his leisure time, he watches football and supports 3SC of Ibadan. Mr Olowookere can be reached via dipo.olowookere@businesspost.ng

Banking

No Plans to Introduce N5000, N10000 Naira Notes—CBN

Published

on

n5000 and n10000 naira notes

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has dismissed a widespread circular claiming the country has introduced two new large denominations— N5,000 and N10,000 notes.

The apex bank described the circular as “fake” in a statement via its official handle on X (formerly Twitter).

The alleged circular said the new notes were set for circulation from May 1.

Business Post gathered that the notes were generated with Artificial Intelligence (AI) showing the late Obafemi Awolowo, who is originally on the N100 note, on the N5,000 note and the late Nnamdi Azikiwe, originally on the N500 note, on the N10,000 version.

“The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has officially announced the introduction of two new denominations – N5,000 and N10,000 banknotes; as part of ongoing efforts to streamline cash transactions and improve liquidity management,” the viral circular widely shared online and falsely attributed to the CBN, stated.

The document further alleged that one Deputy CBN Governor, Mr Ibrahim Tahir Jr, justified the move as a way to reduce cash-handling costs while offering Nigerians more efficient options for larger transactions.

However, the apex bank refuted the claims, urging the public to verify information through its official website.

“The content is not from the Central Bank of Nigeria. Kindly note that the official website of the CBN is cbn.gov.ng,” the CBN stated, emphasising its commitment to transparency and accurate communication.

In 2022, the apex bank announced the redesign of the N200, N500, and N1,000 notes with the new notes entering circulation on December 15, 2022. This initiative aimed to address issues such as currency counterfeiting, the prevalence of currency outside the banking system, and to promote a cashless economy.

According to the CBN, under then Governor Godwin Emefiele, said the redesigned banknotes feature enhanced security measures and updated designs to improve their durability and aesthetic appeal.

The CBN emphasized that introducing new designs aligns with global practices, where national currencies are periodically redesigned to combat counterfeiting and enhance security.

The old versions of these denominations remained legal tender and circulated alongside the new notes until January 31, 2023, after which they were phased out.

Continue Reading

Banking

Sterling Bank Waives Bank Transfer Fees for Customers

Published

on

sterling bank logo

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

A tier-2 financial institution, Sterling Bank, has confirmed the introduction of a zero-transfer-fee policy for customers with immediate effect.

The bank has urged others in the banking industry to emulate this initiative, saying customers should not be overburdened with bank transfer charges.

“We believe access to your own money shouldn’t come with a penalty.

“This is more than a financial decision, it’s a values-based one. It reflects our commitment to making banking fair, inclusive, and truly customer focused.

“We’re not yet the biggest bank in Nigeria, but we’ve been the boldest.

“Sterling fearlessly believes in the future of Nigeria, and this is us backing Nigerians with more than words,” the Growth Executive Leading the Consumer and Business Banking Directorate at Sterling Bank, Obinna Ukachukwu, stated.

Recall that on April Fool’s Day, Sterling Bank announced waiving bank transfer fees for customers and many thought it was just a marketing prank.

But in a statement today, the lender reaffirmed that it introduced this policy to set a new benchmark for customer-focused banking in Nigeria by championing the cancellation of bank transfer charges.

With this move, Sterling becomes the first major Nigerian bank to take a definitive stand against the long-standing practice of charging customers for everyday digital transfers, an issue that has grown increasingly contentious as digital banking adoption deepens.

Under the new policy, Sterling Bank customers will enjoy free transfers for all local transactions conducted via the bank’s mobile app. This translates into significant savings, particularly for individuals and new small business owners who make frequent daily transfers.

This customer-first orientation is not new for the bank. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the company stood out by providing supplementary payments to healthcare workers in public hospitals—at a time when few others were willing or able to offer additional support.

The bank’s latest move has been met with widespread public approval, sparking positive reactions across social media and placing pressure on industry peers to follow suit.

“We’re proud to lead this change. We hope it inspires others to think differently about what customers truly need from their banks, not just in services, but in values,” Ukachukwu added.

Sterling Bank’s zero-fee policy is part of a broader strategy to transform the customer experience and deliver transparent, ethical banking solutions at scale.

Continue Reading

Banking

Wema Bank Grows Deposit Base by 36% to N2.524trn in FY24

Published

on

wema bank mobile branch2

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

The decision of the management of Wema Bank Plc to improve its customer relationship management and digital banking operations is already yielding positive results.

This is because the financial institution increased its deposit base last year by 36 per cent to N2.524 trillion from N1.861 trillion in 2023, according to its audited results filed to the Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited.

In the year, the balance sheet remained well structured, diversified and resilient with total assets growing by 60 per cent to N3.585 trillion from N2.240 trillion, and the loans and advances expanding by 50 per cent to N1.201 trillion from N801.10 billion in FY 2023, as the non-performing loan (NPL) ratio stood at 3.86 per cent.

Business Post reports that the lender grew its gross earnings in the fiscal year by 92 per cent to N432.34 billion from N225.75 billion, with interest income up by 92 per cent to N353.54 billion from N184.48 billion.

Also, non-interest income was up 91 per cent to N78.80 billion from N41.27 billion, and closing December 31, 2024, with a Return on Equity (ROAE) of 43.60 per cent, Return on Assets (ROAA) of 2.96 per cent, Capital Adequacy Ratio (CAR) of 19.67 per cent and Cost to Income ratio of 56.23 billion, underscoring the commercial bank’s resilience and financial strength.

Wema Bank ended the financial year with a profit before tax of N102.51 billion, 135 per cent higher than the N43.59 billion recorded in the corresponding period in 2023, proposing a dividend of N1.00 per share on the back of the impressive result.

“Our people are committed to the institution’s founding ethos of supporting Nigerian businesses and individuals with the most innovative banking products and services.

“ALAT, our flagship digital platform, continues to lead in the adoption of digital banking services across the increasingly young Nigerian populace.

“An example of this innovation is ALAT XPlore, the first licensed banking App for teenagers designed to help teenagers ages 13-17 build their money management skills, achieve their financial goals and become financially responsible,” the chief executive of Wema Bank, Mr Moruf Oseni, stated.

Continue Reading

Trending