Connect with us

Banking

Union Bank, Petrocam Legal Tussle Takes New Twist

Published

on

By Dipo Olowookere

A new dimension has been brought into the case between Union Bank of Nigeria Plc and Petrocam Trading Nigeria Limited.

This is because the firm and its Managing Director, Mr Patrick Ilo, have filed an application before a Federal High Court in Lagos, urging the presiding judge, Justice Rilwan Aikawa, to refer the suit filed against them by Union bank of Nigeria Plc to the Chief Judge of the court for reassignment to another judge of the court in the Lagos Division axis.

The defendants have expressed their loss of confidence in the court in determining the matter without any form of bias.

Petrocam Trading Nigeria Limited, its Managing Director, Mr Patrick Ilo, alongside its South African counterpart, Petrocam Trading South Africa, had earlier dragged Union Bank Plc before a Lagos State High Court, urging the court to direct the bank to credit or reverse the wrongful debt on the Petrocam’s account maintained with the bank for the funding of the letter of credit totaling the sum of N6,704,918,533.71 arising the bank’s breach of its duty to the company.

However, while the case was still pending, Union Bank filed another case before a Federal High Court in Lagos against the company and its Managing Director claiming the sum of N10,062,643,928.72, thereafter securing an order of the court to freeze all the accounts of the company in all commercial banks.

Meanwhile, in the accompanying affidavit verifying the petition sworn to by Mr Patrick Ilo, and filed before the court by Mr Gboyega Oyewole (SAN), the deponent averred that six orders were made against freezing the account of Petrocam company and adjourned for seven weeks, while effectively shutting down all their business, leading to the destruction of all their good will and business connections.

Mr Ilo averred further that, in spite of the potential harm the order may cause, no undertaken was given as to damages in the event that the orders ought to have been made.

Consequently, application was filed to discharge the order and follow with a letter of urgency, to the acting Chief Judge of the Federal High Court seeking his intervention in securing an early date, with the intervention of the acting Chief Judge, Justice Aikawa now fixed the hearing of the matter for May 4, 2018 at which date Union Bank Counsel did not appear in court but wrote to the court that he has travelled to England for his 60th Birthday celebration.

Mr Ilo then urged the acting Chief Judge to use his good office to investigate this matter for appropriate action, to prevent reoccurrence.

When the matter was mentioned, Mr Oyewole SAN told the court that application has been filed for the judge to hands off from the matter or rather transfer the case file to the Chief Judge for re-assignment.

Union bank counsel Chief Ajibola Aribisala SAN, in his response told the court that they are still within time to respond.

Consequently, Justice Aikawa adjourned till June 22, 2018 for the application to be heard.

Dipo Olowookere is a journalist based in Nigeria that has passion for reporting business news stories. At his leisure time, he watches football and supports 3SC of Ibadan. Mr Olowookere can be reached via [email protected]

Banking

Court Convicts Ex-Access Bank Staff for Unauthorised Withdrawals on 305 Customers’ Account

Published

on

Obadofin Daniel Bamise Hadiza Oyiza Yakubu Access Bank Staff

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

Two former employees of Access Bank Plc, identified as Mr Obadofin Daniel Bamise and Ms Hadiza Oyiza Yakubu, have been convicted and sentenced by Justice A.A. Bello of the Kaduna State High Court for theft.

The convicts were found guilty of a separate one-count charge of theft against them by the Kaduna Zonal Directorate of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

They carried out unauthorised withdrawals on the accounts of 305 customers of Access Bank, who were beneficiaries of the federal government’s Palliative Scheme, totalling N7.8 million. They posted the unauthorised withdrawals to the Palliative Scheme’s coordinators’ accounts.

After pleading “guilty” to the charges against them, Justice Bello convicted and sentenced both of them to seven years imprisonment each, with an option of a N50,000 fine each.

According to a statement from the EFCC, the charge against Mr Bamise was, “That you, Obadofin Bamise Daniel sometime between the 5th of November, 2024 and 23rd of January, 2025 in Kaduna, within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court, while being an employee of Access Bank Plc did in your capacity as an employee committed theft in the sum of N433.000 being property in possession of Access Bank Plc and you thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 274 of the Kaduna State Penal Code Law, 2017 and punishable under same Law.”

The charge against Ms Yakubu was, “That you, Hadiza Oyiza Yakubu sometimes between the 5th of November, 2024 and 23rd of January, 2025 in Kaduna, within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court, while being an employee of Access Bank Plc did in your capacity as an employee committed theft in the sum of N806,000 being property in possession of Access Bank Plc and you thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 274 of the Kaduna State Penal Code Law, 2017 and punishable under same Law.”

Continue Reading

Banking

Paystack Integrates AI into Dashboard with New Command Centre

Published

on

Paystack

By Adedapo Adesanya

Leading payments technology company, Paystack, has tapped into the AI wave for businesses with the introduction of an AI-powered “Command Centre” that allows businesses to interact with their payment data using plain-language questions instead of manually navigating dashboards.

The redesigned launch marks a major evolution in how businesses interact with the company’s 10-year-old product, which has helped to monitor transactions, manage settlements, review disputes, and run day-to-day payment operations for thousands of merchants.

The revamped dashboard, built on Pax, Paystack’s internal design system, includes the AI-native Command Centre, which is embedded directly into the Dashboard, allowing businesses to ask questions in plain language and receive answers grounded in their own Paystack data, as text, tables, or charts.

The system combines GPT models, structured data retrieval, and visualisation tools to deliver responses in the most relevant format.

It also has a simpler product architecture, with navigation reorganised into two core sections: Payments and Products, making it easier for merchants to find what they need and scale as Paystack’s offerings grow.

In a statement, the company said it also has full mobile parity that makes every screen, feature, and action available on mobile as well as desktop. It also offers a dark mode feature, as well as stronger analytics and clearer navigation built into the foundation of the product

“Businesses don’t come to their dashboard because they want to click through pages. They come because they have questions,” said Ms Dara Assim-Ita, Senior Product Designer at Paystack, who led the rebuild.

“Over the last decade, we have seen firsthand how much time merchants lose navigating tools that were built to display data rather than deliver answers. With this rebuild, we have changed that. Merchants can now simply ask ‘What happened with this transaction?’ or ‘Why is revenue down this week?’ and get a direct answer. The goal is to make the Dashboard feel less like a static reporting tool and more like an intelligent command centre – one that helps merchants understand what’s happening, find what they need faster, and make better decisions.”

To support the experience, Paystack built a new service called Project Canvas API, which handles conversations, connects to model providers, and interfaces with existing Paystack systems.

As the Dashboard handles sensitive financial data, the system was built to ensure responses are grounded in real merchant data and screened against safety and compliance requirements before being returned.

The company also worked closely with its Data Protection and Privacy team, completed a Data Protection Impact Assessment, and ran extensive adversarial testing ahead of launch.

“We are at a point where artificial intelligence is rapidly becoming integral to how businesses operate, and Paystack is committed to being on that curve for our merchants. The most powerful application of AI disappears into the work people are already trying to do, and that was the design principle behind this,” Ms Assim-Ita added.

Continue Reading

Banking

Post-Recapitalisation: Cardoso Warns Banks to Guard Against Emerging Risks

Published

on

CBN - Yemi Cardoso

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mr Yemi Cardoso, has urged banks to remain vigilant and take proactive measures against emerging risks following the conclusion of the banking sector recapitalisation exercise.

He made the call while announcing the outcome of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting, where the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) was retained at 26.5 per cent amid sustained inflationary pressures and global economic uncertainties.

According to him, the MPC welcomed the successful recapitalisation exercise, which resulted in the emergence of 33 stronger banks with improved financial soundness indicators and greater capacity to support economic growth.

However, he warned that the strengthening of balance sheets must be matched with strong risk management frameworks to safeguard financial system stability.

“The MPC also noted with satisfaction the successful conclusion of the banking recapitalisation exercise, which culminated in the emergence of 33 banks with stronger financial soundness indicators enhancing their capacity to support the economy,” Mr Cardoso said.

The central banker added that the committee “urged the banks to remain proactive and adopt necessary measures to address potential post-recapitalisation risks towards preserving financial system stability.”

Mr Cardoso said the decisions were based on a “comprehensive assessment of risks to the outlook,” noting that despite marginal increases in inflation, the broader macroeconomic environment remained stable.

“Although inflation has risen marginally for two consecutive months, largely induced by external shocks, the committee recognises its transitory nature and remains confident that the current macroeconomic environment is sufficiently robust to support a return to disinflation,” he stated.

The committee also highlighted spillover effects from the Middle East crisis, which have pushed up global energy and logistics costs. However, it said the impact on Nigeria had been muted due to earlier policy reforms.

“These include exchange rate stability, improvements in external reserve buffers, strengthened monetary policy transmission, a well-capitalised banking system and ongoing fiscal consolidation, which have significantly bolstered the economy’s ability to absorb external shocks,” Mr Cardoso explained.

He further said the committee noted that a cautious and vigilant policy stance remains necessary to anchor inflation expectations and maintain macroeconomic stability.

“The committee was therefore convinced that the essential conditions for price stability remain firmly in place,” Mr Cardoso said, adding that policymakers will continue to monitor both domestic and global developments closely.

Continue Reading

Trending