Economy
Border Closure Plunges Unilever into N8bn Loss as Revenue Drops
By Dipo Olowookere
The board of Unilever Nigeria Plc, one of the consumer goods companies listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), has released the financial statements of the firm for the year ended December 31, 2019.
However, the performance of the organisation was not impressive as the border closure negatively impacted on the company’s figures, with both topline and bottomline pointing south.
In the unaudited interim earnings of the firm released to the NSE last Thursday, revenue depreciated by 34 percent to N60.8 billion from N92.0 billion achieved in the 2018 fiscal year, just as the cost of sales closed at N54.1 billion versus N64.6 billion, with the gross profit reducing to N6.7 billion from N27.4 billion.
Also, the selling and distribution expenses were slashed by the firm to N3.2 billion from N4.2 billion, while the marketing and administrative expenses were pruned to N13.2 billion from N14.7 billion, with other income down to N65.4 million from N2.3 billion.
In the period under review, Unilever Nigeria, which has some of its operations done from neighbouring Ghana, announced an operating loss of N10.4 billion against an operating profit of N10.4 billion in 2018 financial year. A further analysis of the results by Business Post showed that the finance income reduced to N2.9 billion from N3.6 billion, while the finance costs rose to N824.2 million from N452.6 million.
In the period under review, the company declared a loss before tax of N8.3 billion versus a profit before tax of N13.6 billion in 2018 and a loss after tax of N4.2 billion in FY 2019 against a PAT of N10.0 billion. It was observed that the firm had a tax credit of N4.1 billion in the 2019 financial year.
At the close of business on December 31, 2019, Unilever Nigeria had a negative earnings per share of 74 kobo compared with N1.77 EPS in the corresponding period of 2018.
Business Post reports that the company’s performance in the last quarter of last year was very abysmal as revenue significantly went down by 58 percent to N9.1 billion from N21.7 billion as marketing and administrative expenses rose to N5.2 billion from N3.5billion, leaving it with a gross loss of N3.0 billion against a profit of N6.5 billion in the same quarter of 2018.
Also, Unilever Nigeria said it had an operating loss of N9.6 billion in Q4 2019 versus a profit of N1.9 billion in Q4 2018, while it posted a pre-tax loss of N9.0 billion against a pre-tax profit of N2.9 billion in the same period of 2018, with a post-tax loss of N4.8 billion in contrast to a post-tax profit of N2.1 billion in the fourth quarter of 2018.
Last August, the Nigerian authorities closed the land borders to curtail smuggling of goods and arms into the country. This pushed inflation up to nearly 12 percent as at December 2019. It is not certain if the borders would be re-opened soon as federal government said the country’s neighbours must agree to step up efforts to tackle smuggling.
Economy
Investors Eye Investment Opportunities in Dangote Refinery
By Aduragbemi Omiyale
The planned listing of the Dangote Petroleum Refinery & Petrochemicals on the Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited is already attracting interest from South African investors and others.
The leadership of South Africa’s Government Employees Pension Fund (GEPF), alongside the Public Investment Corporation and Alterra Capital Partners, were recently at the Lagos-based facility.
The chairperson of GEPF, Mr Frans Baleni, said that the refinery stands as evidence that Africa can execute transformational infrastructure projects when backed by visionary leadership, long-term investment and strong technical expertise.
According to him, the significance of the project extends well beyond Nigeria’s borders, noting that it should reshape how Africa thinks about itself.
“The Dangote Refinery and Petrochemicals Complex is a powerful demonstration that, with visionary leadership and long-term capital, that perception no longer holds. This is the kind of African-led industrial scale that institutional investors on this continent should be backing,” he said.
Also speaking, the chief executive of PIC, Mr Patrick Dlamini, described the refinery as one of the most transformative industrial projects undertaken on the continent, saying it is reshaping global perceptions about Africa’s industrial capabilities and economic potential.
He said PIC, which manages about $230 billion in assets largely on behalf of South Africa’s Government Employees Pension Fund, is actively seeking long-term partnerships aligned with infrastructure development, industrialisation and economic transformation across Africa.
“There is real strategic alignment between Dangote’s industrial agenda and how we are positioning our portfolio, and we look forward to exploring meaningful avenues for collaboration,” he stated.
While receiving his visitors, the chief executive of Dangote Group, Mr Aliko Dangote, said the proposed listing is designed to democratise wealth creation and give Africans direct access to participate in the continent’s industrial transformation.
“We are opening the doors for investors to participate directly in Africa’s industrial future and the prosperity it will create,” Mr Dangote said, adding that the refinery project reflects the scale of untapped opportunities within Africa’s energy market, particularly as most countries on the continent remain dependent on imported refined petroleum products despite growing industrial demand and rising consumption.
The billionaire industrialist noted that demand for products such as polypropylene, aviation fuel and refined petroleum products has exceeded earlier projections, reinforcing the commercial viability of the refinery and shaping future expansion plans.
Economy
Nigeria’s Oil Exploration Declines 41.7% as Rig Counts Falls to 12 in April
By Adedapo Adesanya
Nigeria’s oil exploration and drilling activities declined by 41.7 per cent in April 2026, following reduced upstream operations and investment activities.
According to the May 2026 Monthly Oil Market Report (MOMR) of the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), Nigeria’s rig count, a major indicator of upstream oil and gas activities, dropped to 12 in April 2026 from 17 recorded in March 2026.
The decline came amid persistent upstream investment and operational challenges, according to the latest monthly report released by OPEC.
Earlier data contained in the May 2026 edition of the MOMR also showed that Nigeria’s average rig count declined to 13 in 2025 from 15 recorded in 2024, indicating reduced exploration and drilling activities in the upstream petroleum sector.
The report showed that Nigeria’s rig count fell by five rigs month-on-month, from 17 rigs in March 2026 to 12 rigs in April 2026.
Rig count is widely regarded in the petroleum industry as a key indicator of exploration, field development and investment activities.
The decline comes despite ongoing efforts by the Nigerian government and industry operators to raise crude oil production, boost reserves and attract fresh upstream investments under the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA)
Nigeria’s performance contrasted with the broader African trend, where total rig count increased marginally from 42 in March 2026 to 48 in April 2026.
However, Nigeria accounted for a significant share of the continent’s decline in operational rigs during the period.
Within OPEC, Nigeria remained behind major producers such as Saudi Arabia, which recorded 265 rigs in April 2026, the United Arab Emirates with 66 rigs, and Iraq with 19 rigs.
The development also comes at a time when Nigeria is struggling to meet its crude oil production quota allocated by OPEC consistently.
Economy
Nigeria’s Central Bank Holds Rate at 26.50% Despite Heightened Disruptions
By Adedapo Adesanya
The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has retained the headline interest rate, the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR), at 26.50 per cent.
This was disclosed by the Governor of Nigeria’s central bank, Mr Yemi Cardoso, on Wednesday, after the conclusion of the MPC meeting. He noted that the decision was hinged on Nigeria being largely insulated from external shocks relating to developments in the Middle East.
He also acknowledged that inflation and exchange rate stability were put into consideration during the two-day meeting.
The committee reduced the benchmark interest rate by 50 basis points from 27.0 per cent to 26.5 per cent at its 304th MPC gathering in February.
Nigeria’s inflation rose to 15.69 per cent in April 2026, affected by the fallout from the Iran war, which continued to impact the global economy. Noting that year-on-year, the figures show a moderation rather than worry.
The headline inflation rate for April on a month-on-month basis was 2.13 per cent, while the food inflation rate in the review month was 16.06 per cent on a year-on-year basis.
Mr Cardoso noted that the Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) was also retained at 45 per cent for commercial Banks, 16 per cent for Merchant Banks, and 75 per cent for non-TSA public sector deposits.
He added that the Standing Facilities Corridor was also held flat at +50 / -450 basis points around the MPR.
-
Feature/OPED6 years agoDavos was Different this year
-
Travel/Tourism10 years ago
Lagos Seals Western Lodge Hotel In Ikorodu
-
Showbiz3 years agoEstranged Lover Releases Videos of Empress Njamah Bathing
-
Banking8 years agoSort Codes of GTBank Branches in Nigeria
-
Economy3 years agoSubsidy Removal: CNG at N130 Per Litre Cheaper Than Petrol—IPMAN
-
Banking3 years agoSort Codes of UBA Branches in Nigeria
-
Banking3 years agoFirst Bank Announces Planned Downtime
-
Sports3 years agoHighest Paid Nigerian Footballer – How Much Do Nigerian Footballers Earn
