Economy
Brent Trades Closer to $44 on Possible Tighter Supply
By Adedapo Adesanya
Prices of crude oil further increased at the market on Tuesday as a result of the renewed confidence investors have that the deadly COVID-19 could soon be defeated due to the outcome of the vaccine trials.
This boosted the market coupled with the possibility of tighter supply policies from oil producers aimed to suppress the threats posed by the rising coronavirus cases in Europe and America.
During trading yesterday, the Brent crude moved up by 0.07 per cent or 3 cents to sell at $43.85 per barrel, while the West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude appreciated by 0.22 per cent or 10 cents to trade $41.43 per barrel.
On Monday, the oil space got a boost when Moderna Inc’s announced that its coronavirus vaccine was 94.5 per cent effective. The information came some days after Pfizer Inc also said its vaccine was over 90 per cent effective.
However, developments from the United States over the average number of people dying of COVID-19 daily threatened the market just like the fresh movement restrictions in Europe.
But the market remains hopeful as Saudi Arabia called on fellow members of the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and its allies (OPEC+) to be flexible in responding to oil market needs as it builds the case for a tighter production policy in 2021.
It was reported that the oil cartel is considering four possible scenarios for 2021. Two of these are based on following the initial arrangements, including a further relaxation of cuts from 7.7 million barrels per day to 5.8 million barrels per day from January.
Under these two scenarios, the drawdown in global oil stockpiles will continue, but the total will remain well above the five-year average.
In the milder pandemic effect scenario, oil inventories will be 125 million barrels higher in 2021 than the five-year average, and in the more severe pandemic effect scenario, these will be 470 million higher than the five-year average. This will translate into an excess supply of 1.9 million barrels per day.
An option gaining support among OPEC+ nations is to keep the existing cuts of 7.7 million barrels per day (bpd) for a further three to six months rather than tapering in January.
But looking at tougher production restrictions scenarios, the drawdown will be more significant: if the deal is extended by three months, until the end of March, global inventories will only end up being 73 million barrels higher than the five-year average by the end of 2021.
However, if the cuts are extended until the end of June, the total supply will be just 21 million barrels, higher than the five-year average. These figures translate into a daily supply deficit of between 900,000 barrels per day and 1.4 million barrels per day, according to analysts.
OPEC+ held a ministerial committee meeting on Tuesday that made no formal recommendation. The group will hold a full meeting on November 30 – December 1.
The market will await official figures from the Energy Information Administration (EIA) in the United States on Wednesday as analysts said crude inventories likely rose 1.7 million barrels last week after gaining 4.3 million barrels in the prior week.
Economy
Investors Eye Investment Opportunities in Dangote Refinery
By Aduragbemi Omiyale
The planned listing of the Dangote Petroleum Refinery & Petrochemicals on the Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited is already attracting interest from South African investors and others.
The leadership of South Africa’s Government Employees Pension Fund (GEPF), alongside the Public Investment Corporation and Alterra Capital Partners, were recently at the Lagos-based facility.
The chairperson of GEPF, Mr Frans Baleni, said that the refinery stands as evidence that Africa can execute transformational infrastructure projects when backed by visionary leadership, long-term investment and strong technical expertise.
According to him, the significance of the project extends well beyond Nigeria’s borders, noting that it should reshape how Africa thinks about itself.
“The Dangote Refinery and Petrochemicals Complex is a powerful demonstration that, with visionary leadership and long-term capital, that perception no longer holds. This is the kind of African-led industrial scale that institutional investors on this continent should be backing,” he said.
Also speaking, the chief executive of PIC, Mr Patrick Dlamini, described the refinery as one of the most transformative industrial projects undertaken on the continent, saying it is reshaping global perceptions about Africa’s industrial capabilities and economic potential.
He said PIC, which manages about $230 billion in assets largely on behalf of South Africa’s Government Employees Pension Fund, is actively seeking long-term partnerships aligned with infrastructure development, industrialisation and economic transformation across Africa.
“There is real strategic alignment between Dangote’s industrial agenda and how we are positioning our portfolio, and we look forward to exploring meaningful avenues for collaboration,” he stated.
While receiving his visitors, the chief executive of Dangote Group, Mr Aliko Dangote, said the proposed listing is designed to democratise wealth creation and give Africans direct access to participate in the continent’s industrial transformation.
“We are opening the doors for investors to participate directly in Africa’s industrial future and the prosperity it will create,” Mr Dangote said, adding that the refinery project reflects the scale of untapped opportunities within Africa’s energy market, particularly as most countries on the continent remain dependent on imported refined petroleum products despite growing industrial demand and rising consumption.
The billionaire industrialist noted that demand for products such as polypropylene, aviation fuel and refined petroleum products has exceeded earlier projections, reinforcing the commercial viability of the refinery and shaping future expansion plans.
Economy
Nigeria’s Oil Exploration Declines 41.7% as Rig Counts Falls to 12 in April
By Adedapo Adesanya
Nigeria’s oil exploration and drilling activities declined by 41.7 per cent in April 2026, following reduced upstream operations and investment activities.
According to the May 2026 Monthly Oil Market Report (MOMR) of the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), Nigeria’s rig count, a major indicator of upstream oil and gas activities, dropped to 12 in April 2026 from 17 recorded in March 2026.
The decline came amid persistent upstream investment and operational challenges, according to the latest monthly report released by OPEC.
Earlier data contained in the May 2026 edition of the MOMR also showed that Nigeria’s average rig count declined to 13 in 2025 from 15 recorded in 2024, indicating reduced exploration and drilling activities in the upstream petroleum sector.
The report showed that Nigeria’s rig count fell by five rigs month-on-month, from 17 rigs in March 2026 to 12 rigs in April 2026.
Rig count is widely regarded in the petroleum industry as a key indicator of exploration, field development and investment activities.
The decline comes despite ongoing efforts by the Nigerian government and industry operators to raise crude oil production, boost reserves and attract fresh upstream investments under the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA)
Nigeria’s performance contrasted with the broader African trend, where total rig count increased marginally from 42 in March 2026 to 48 in April 2026.
However, Nigeria accounted for a significant share of the continent’s decline in operational rigs during the period.
Within OPEC, Nigeria remained behind major producers such as Saudi Arabia, which recorded 265 rigs in April 2026, the United Arab Emirates with 66 rigs, and Iraq with 19 rigs.
The development also comes at a time when Nigeria is struggling to meet its crude oil production quota allocated by OPEC consistently.
Economy
Nigeria’s Central Bank Holds Rate at 26.50% Despite Heightened Disruptions
By Adedapo Adesanya
The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has retained the headline interest rate, the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR), at 26.50 per cent.
This was disclosed by the Governor of Nigeria’s central bank, Mr Yemi Cardoso, on Wednesday, after the conclusion of the MPC meeting. He noted that the decision was hinged on Nigeria being largely insulated from external shocks relating to developments in the Middle East.
He also acknowledged that inflation and exchange rate stability were put into consideration during the two-day meeting.
The committee reduced the benchmark interest rate by 50 basis points from 27.0 per cent to 26.5 per cent at its 304th MPC gathering in February.
Nigeria’s inflation rose to 15.69 per cent in April 2026, affected by the fallout from the Iran war, which continued to impact the global economy. Noting that year-on-year, the figures show a moderation rather than worry.
The headline inflation rate for April on a month-on-month basis was 2.13 per cent, while the food inflation rate in the review month was 16.06 per cent on a year-on-year basis.
Mr Cardoso noted that the Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) was also retained at 45 per cent for commercial Banks, 16 per cent for Merchant Banks, and 75 per cent for non-TSA public sector deposits.
He added that the Standing Facilities Corridor was also held flat at +50 / -450 basis points around the MPR.
-
Feature/OPED6 years agoDavos was Different this year
-
Travel/Tourism10 years ago
Lagos Seals Western Lodge Hotel In Ikorodu
-
Showbiz3 years agoEstranged Lover Releases Videos of Empress Njamah Bathing
-
Banking8 years agoSort Codes of GTBank Branches in Nigeria
-
Economy3 years agoSubsidy Removal: CNG at N130 Per Litre Cheaper Than Petrol—IPMAN
-
Banking3 years agoSort Codes of UBA Branches in Nigeria
-
Banking3 years agoFirst Bank Announces Planned Downtime
-
Sports3 years agoHighest Paid Nigerian Footballer – How Much Do Nigerian Footballers Earn
