Connect with us

Economy

FCMB Suspends Sale of N30bn Commercial Paper

Published

on

FCMB Headquarters

By Dipo Olowookere

The proposed sale of N30 billion commercial paper by First City Monument Bank (FCMB) Nigeria Limited has been suspended by the management.

Last week, Business Post reported that the financial institution was issuing the debt securities to investors to sort its short-term funding needs.

The CP was to be issued under its N100 billion CP programme and was expected to have a tenor of 260 days.

“FCMB Group Plc hereby notifies the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) and its esteemed shareholders that one of its subsidiaries, First City Monument Bank Limited, is undertaking a commercial paper issuance under its N100 billion CP programme.

“The CP has a tenor of 260 days with the aim of raising up to N30 billion to support the bank’s short-term funding needs.

“The CP serves as an additional funding source for the bank,” a notice issued last Thursday by the parent company of the lender, FCMB Group Plc, had said.

But on Monday, the company released another statement to state that the exercise has been suspended.

Explaining the rationale behind the action, FCMB said it was because of the shock increase in the stop rate of treasury bills last Wednesday by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) at the primary market.

During the sale of T-bills last week, the apex bank raised the rate for the one-year instrument to 3.20 per cent from 0.15 per cent it offered it at the preceding session.

According to FCMB, this action by the central bank disrupted the price discovery of its commercial paper, forcing it to put the proposed exercise on hold.

“FCMB Group Plc hereby notifies the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) and its esteemed shareholders that the proposed commercial paper issuance by one of its subsidiaries, First City Monument Bank Limited has been suspended.

“This is as a result of the Nigerian Treasury Bills auction of Wednesday, December 9, 2020, which distorted price discovery,” the notice issued today said.

Dipo Olowookere is a journalist based in Nigeria that has passion for reporting business news stories. At his leisure time, he watches football and supports 3SC of Ibadan. Mr Olowookere can be reached via [email protected]

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Economy

Oando Reports Windfall as Buyers Shift from Middle East Oil

Published

on

oando stocks

By Adedapo Adesanya

Nigerian energy giant, Oando Plc, says it is reporting rising revenues as global crude buyers increasingly turn away from the volatile Middle East in search of safer supply sources.

According to the chief executive of Oando, Mr Wale Tinubu, the crisis around the Strait of Hormuz has damaged the Gulf region’s long-standing reputation as the world’s safest and most reliable oil-producing hub, leading to demand elsewhere.

Speaking in a recent interview on the sidelines of the Africa CEO Forum in Kigali, Rwanda, Mr Tinubu disclosed that Oando is already benefiting financially from the geopolitical tensions.

“We are certainly getting a windfall increase in our revenues,” Mr Tinubu said.

According to him, mounting security concerns around the Strait of Hormuz have forced buyers to reconsider their dependence on Middle Eastern crude. The waterway accounts for around 20 per cent of global crude and liquified natural gas (LNG) flows, mostly to Asian markets.

“The Middle Eastern premium you got from being a stable environment to produce hydrocarbons has been shattered,” he added.

The conflict is rapidly reshaping global energy trade flows, with African producers, particularly Nigeria, emerging as alternative suppliers at a time of heightened uncertainty in the Gulf.

Indonesia recently took in some Nigeria crude to cushion against the impact that disruptions are having on fuel supplies.

Mr Tinubu said Oando is rolling out a seven-well drilling campaign aiming to add 10,000 barrels per day by the end of the year.

Oando is also looking to raise up to $750 million to execute a 100-well onshore drilling campaign, aiming to triple its oil and gas output from 32,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day to nearly 100,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day.

According to Mr Tinubu, global supply shocks have created highly favourable conditions for securing financing and expanding operations to meet supply gaps.

Continue Reading

Economy

Otedola Plans $100m Stake in Dangote Refinery Private Placement

Published

on

otedola dangote

By Adedapo Adesanya

Nigerian billionaire investor, Mr Femi Otedola, has announced plans to invest $100 million in the Dangote Refinery, which plans to list later this year.

Mr Otedola disclosed this on Wednesday after leading a delegation of top executives from First HoldCo on a visit to the Dangote refinery.

“On a personal note, I’ve appealed to him (Aliko Dangote). I’ve been here with him 25 times, so my compensation is he’s going to allocate to me shares worth $100 million in the private placement,” the billionaire said.

Mr Otedola had previously denied that he had any stake or funded the construction of a 650,000 barrels per day facility.

The announcement marks his next big move after increasing his stake in First Holdco as well as buying a $10 million property in London.

Mr Dangote last year said the refinery could sell up to 10 per cent stake in the listing, which is valued at about $5 billion. It is aiming for a valuation of up to $50 billion for Dangote refinery.

The billionaire is planning to make the IPO a cross-border listing to enable the refinery to draw investments from domestic and international investors.

Mr Dangote, this week, said the IPO is designed to democratise wealth creation and give Africans direct access to participate in the continent’s industrial transformation.

On his part, Mr Dangote, president of the Dangote Group, says the company is targeting a private placement of about $2 billion for the refinery.

While the actual date for the IPO is yet to be announced, Mr Otedola’s early investment indicates value and could spur other high-net-worth individuals to show interest.

Mr Otedola, an ally of Mr Dangote, led top executives of First HoldCo on a tour of the refinery and the fertiliser plants in the Lekki free trade zone area.

The team also visited key project sites such as the jetty, a facility built by Dangote industries to receive large vessels.

Continue Reading

Economy

11 Plc, CSCS Drive NASD Market Higher by 0.32%

Published

on

11 Plc

By Adedapo Adesanya

The NASD Over-the-Counter (OTC) Securities Exchange further chalked up 0.32 per cent on Wednesday, May 20, spurred by price appreciation in 11 Plc, and Central Securities and Clearing System (CSCS) Plc.

11 Plc, which used to be known as Mobil, added N22.11 to sell at N243.21 per unit compared with the previous day’s N221.10 per unit, and CSCS Plc gained N1.19 to trade at N71.81 per share versus Tuesday’s N70.62 per share.

The growth posted by the duo raised the market capitalisation by N8.04 billion to N2.495 trillion from N2.487 trillion, and lifted the NASD Unlisted Security Index (NSI) by 13.44 points to 4,171.19 points from 4,157.75 points.

Yesterday, there were two price losers, led by Nipco Plc, which shed N22.60 to close at N287.00 per unit compared with the preceding day’s N309.60 per unit, and FrieslandCampina Wamco, which lost 84 Kobo to sell for N150.95 per share, in contrast to the N151.79 per share it was traded a day earlier.

The volume of trades recorded at midweek dipped by 99.9 per cent to 2.3 million units from 1.9 billion units, the value of transactions fell by 93.7 per cent to N334.2 million from the preceding session’s N5.3 billion, and the number of deals went down by 43.3 per cent to 34 deals from 60 deals.

Great Nigeria Insurance (GNI) Plc remained the most active stock by value on a year-to-date basis, with 3.4 billion units worth N8.4 billion, trailed by Infrastructure Credit Guarantee (Infracredit) Plc with 2.3 billion sold for N6.5 billion, and CSCS Plc with 60.9 million units exchanged for N4.1 billion.

GNI Plc also closed the session as the most traded stock by volume on a year-to-date basis, with 3.4 billion units worth N8.4 billion, followed by Infracredit Plc with 2.3 billion units valued at N6.5 billion, and Resourcery Plc with 1.1 billion units traded for N415.7 million.

Continue Reading

Trending