Connect with us

Economy

Help! Oando in Serious Danger—Shareholders Cry Out

Published

on

wale tinubu oando

**Renew Call for Tinubu’s Sack, Prosecution

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

Shareholders of the embattled Oando Plc have called on relevant authorities to urgently step in to save the company from total collapse.

According to the shareholders, the integrated oil firm is presently in danger and efforts must be done to salvage the situation.

While addressing journalists in Lagos on Wednesday, Chairman of the rusted Shareholders’ Association of Nigeria (TSAN), Mr Mukhtar Mukhtar, accused the apex capital market regulator in Nigeria, the Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC), of acting with some compromises.

He said the regulator has unfortunately not done enough to protect the interest of the minority shareholders of the company.

“Regulators have not done enough to protect shareholders in the whole Oando saga,” Mr Mukhtar told newsmen.

He said government must thoroughly look into the matter and punish any member of the board of the energy firm found culpable.

“Right now, there are very serious concerns that the company cannot continue as company or allow any of its subsidiaries to continue to operate; because, according to reports from auditing firm of Ernst & Young, Oando’s liabilities are far more than the assets; which is quite abnormal. And once a company’s liabilities are greater than its assets, there is no company. No bank anywhere in the world will be willing to have it as an undertaking.

“Some of our members called on the National Assembly (NASS) to call on the regulators to act. Unfortunately, the regulators acted with some compromises. What Oando has done cannot be done in the United States, UK, Europe and even in Asian countries, the company will continue to operate as if nothing happened.

“The regulators are there to protect shareholders and not to protect the interests of few people. In other countries, what the regulator will do first of all if there are evidences or signs of infractions in any company, the management of the company in question will be sacked.

“I don’t know why Oando management board is still there. When some of these things happened in some banks when Sanusi Lamido Sanusi was the Central bank Governor, he sacked the management boards of all the banks that were culpable,” Mr Mukhtar said.

But Oando’s Head of Corporate Communications, Alero Balogun, while reacting to this, was quoted as saying, “SEC in all its communications with us has not found this management wanting, so the question of sack does not arise.”

Last month, SEC placed the shares of the embattled company on technical suspension till further notice, following petitions from Alhaji Dahiru Mangal and Ansbury Incorporated over alleged ‘insider dealings’ and ‘manipulation of the company’s shareholding structure’ in breach of the Investments and Securities Act 2007 and the SEC Code of Corporate Governance for Public Companies.

This was followed by a further suspension of the shares of Oando by the management of the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE).

However, Oando challenged SEC action at the court in Lagos, and further stopped plans by the regulator to conduct a forensic audit on the company and its report.

Oando Plc is led by Mr Adewale Tinubu. At the firm’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) in September 2017, shareholders of the company voted to keep him as the Group Chief Executive Officer of the company as well as members of the board.

Additional information from Daily Trust and Daily Independent

Modupe Gbadeyanka is a fast-rising journalist with Business Post Nigeria. Her passion for journalism is amazing. She is willing to learn more with a view to becoming one of the best pen-pushers in Nigeria. Her role models are the duo of CNN's Richard Quest and Christiane Amanpour.

Economy

Naira Trades N1,390/$1 at Parallel Market, N1,335/$1 at Official Market

Published

on

naira street value

By Adedapo Adesanya

It was another wonderful day for the Nigerian Naira in the different segments of the foreign market (FX) market on Tuesday, February 17, as it appreciated against the United States Dollar at the close of business.

In the parallel market, it improved its value on the greenback by N30 to sell for N1,390/$1 compared with the previous day’s rate of N1,420/$1, and at the GTBank forex desk, it gained N4 to trade at N1,363/$1 versus the preceding session’s N1,367/$1.

As for the official market, which is known as the Nigerian Autonomous Foreign Exchange Market (NAFEX), the local currency gained N11.82 or 0.88 per cent to close at N1,335.96/$1 versus Monday’s price of N1,347.78/$1.

In the same segment of the market, the domestic currency chalked up N32.43 against the Pound Sterling to finish at N1,806.75/£1 compared with the previous day’s N1,839.18/£1, and gained N18.82 on the Euro to close at N1,579.24/€1 compared with the N1,598.06/€1 it was traded a day earlier.

Improved foreign exchange supply levels following recent high demand pressures helped to sustain the currency’s advance. A portion of the delayed demand was eliminated with licensed Bureau De Change (BDC) businesses fully helping to alleviate any development.

While other supply sources, including exporters, non-bank corporations, and other market actors, pause stoked pressures on the exchange rate, their presence is anticipated to increase liquidity and flow.

Foreign reserves were last reported at $47.80 billion after appreciating by $135.75 million. The build-up in reserves has been supported by favourable external conditions, including stronger oil-related inflows and improved FX market stability.

The market is looking forward to a rate cut when the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meets next week after inflation decelerated further to 15.10 per cent.

Meanwhile, the cryptocurrency market was down as software stocks continued to plunge, creating a ripple effect on the digital assets.

Market analysts noted that consolidation is expected as crypto searches for a new narrative strong enough to pull capital back from AI stocks and commodities.

Litecoin (LTC) declined by 1.8 per cent to $53.99, Bitcoin decreased by 1.7 per cent to $67,446.46, Cardano (ADA) dropped 1.5 per cent to trade at $0.2810, Binance Coin (BNB) slumped 1.4 per cent to $617.60, Solana (SOL) depreciated by 0.9 per cent to $84.97, Ripple (XRP) shrank by 0.7 per cent to $1.47, and Dogecoin (DOGE) went down by 0.04 per cent to $0.1005.

On the flip side, Ethereum (ETH) appreciated by 0.2 per cent to $1,992.22, while the US Dollar Tether (USDT) and the US Dollar Coin (USDC) remained unchanged at $1.00 apiece.

Continue Reading

Economy

Oil Dips 2% Amid Progress in US-Iran Nuclear Talks

Published

on

OPEC Global Oil Demand

By Adedapo Adesanya

Oil was down by about 2 per cent on Tuesday on hopes tensions between the United States and Iran were easing after Iran’s foreign minister said the countries had reached an understanding regarding nuclear talks.

Brent futures fell $1.23 or 1.8 per cent to $67.42 a barrel, and the US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) futures slipped 56 cents or 0.9 per cent to $62.33 per barrel.

According to Iranian Foreign Minister, Mr Abbas Araqchi, his country and the United States reached an understanding on the main “guiding principles” in a second round of indirect talks in Geneva, Switzerland, over their nuclear dispute on Tuesday.

However, this does not mean a deal is imminent.

Iran’s supreme leader said on Tuesday that any US attempt to depose his government would fail as the US continued a military buildup exercise in the Middle East.

Iran will close parts of the critical oil shipping lane in the Middle East, the Strait of Hormuz, for a few hours on Tuesday as it is conducting military drills in the area. The government said the partial closure is due to security precautions.

The Strait of Hormuz, the narrow lane between Iran and Oman, is the world’s most critical oil transit chokepoint, and the oil market has time and again feared Iran could attempt to close the lane. In 2024, oil flow through the strait averaged 20 million barrels per day, or the equivalent of about 20 per cent of global petroleum liquids consumption.

Iran and fellow Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) members Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Iraq export most of their crude via the Strait, mainly to Asia.

Negotiators from Ukraine and Russia concluded the first of two days of US-mediated peace talks in Geneva on Tuesday, with US President Donald Trump pressing Ukraine to act fast to reach a deal to end the four-year conflict.

Meanwhile, Ukraine continued its attacks on Russian energy infrastructure. Its military said on Tuesday it struck the Ilsky refinery, while a drone attack was also reported at the port of Taman.

A peace resolution could see a lifting of sanctions on Russia, bringing Russian oil back to the mainstream market. In 2025, Russia was the third-biggest crude producer in the world behind the United States and Saudi Arabia.

Continue Reading

Economy

MTN Reaches $6.2bn Deal to Fully Own IHS Towers

Published

on

MTN IHS Towers

By Adedapo Adesanya

MTN Group has agreed to take full control of IHS Holding, buying the roughly 75 per cent stake it does not already own in a deal that values the tower operator at about $6.2 billion.

According to a statement, MTN, which is  Africa’s biggest mobile operator, will pay $8.50 per share in cash.

The deal will be funded through the rollover of MTN’s existing stake of around 24% in IHS, as well as about $1.1 billion in cash from MTN, roughly $1.1 billion from IHS’s balance sheet, and the rollover of no more than existing IHS debt.

The offer represents a 239 per cent premium to the company’s share price when it announced a strategic review on March 12, 2024, a 36 per cent premium to its 52-week volume-weighted average price as of February 4, 2026, and a three per cent premium to its unaffected closing price of $8.23 on that same date.

The transaction will see MTN transition from being a minority shareholder in IHS to a full owner. Upon completion, IHS will delist from the New York Stock Exchange and become a wholly owned subsidiary of MTN.

For MTN, the deal represents a decisive shift as data demand surges and digital infrastructure becomes increasingly strategic with a booming digitally-oriented youth population on the continent.

Over the past decade, many African telecom operators sold tower assets to independent infrastructure firms to unlock capital and reduce balance sheet pressure. This marks a reversal of the trend.

MTN itself had reduced its direct exposure to tower ownership, retaining a roughly 24 per cent fully diluted stake in IHS before the agreement.

Speaking on this, Mr Ralph Mupita, group president and CEO, MTN Group, described the proposed acquisition as a pivotal step in strengthening MTN’s strategic and financial position in a future where digital infrastructure will be central to Africa’s development.

He said the deal would enhance MTN’s ability to partner with governments and support long-term connectivity growth across its markets.

“This proposed transaction is a pivotal step in further strengthening MTN Group’s strategic and financial position for a future where digital infrastructure will become ever more essential to Africa’s growth and development,” he said.

The board of IHS unanimously approved the agreement and recommended that shareholders vote in favor.

MTN has committed to vote all its shares in support of the deal, while long-term shareholder Wendel has also issued a letter backing the transaction. Together, they account for more than 40 per cent of shareholder support already secured.

On his part, Mr Sam Darwish, chairman and CEO of IHS, said the agreement offers shareholders certainty and immediate value realisation following a strategic review launched during a period of macroeconomic and geopolitical volatility across key markets.

Founded 25 years ago with a single tower in one market, IHS grew into one of the world’s largest independent tower companies by count, operating in 11 countries and managing approximately 40,000 towers at its peak.

If completed, the acquisition will create the largest standalone and integrated tower company in Africa under MTN’s control, tightening the alignment between network operations and physical infrastructure in a region where connectivity remains both a commercial battleground and a development imperative.

Continue Reading

Trending