Economy
Oando Declares N330b Turnover In 9 Months

By Modupe Gbdayanka
Nigeria’s leading indigenous energy group listed on both the Nigerian and Johannesburg Stock Exchange, Oando Plc, has announced its unaudited results for the six months period ended on September 30, 2016.
In the financial analysis, the company recorded a turnover increase by 26 percent, moving from N262 billion in the same period last year to N330 billion this year.
However, its Gross Profit decreased by 52 percent, N28.7 billion compared to N60 billion in the first half of 2015. Also, it Loss-After-Tax decreased by 25 percent, N35.9 billion compared to N47.6 billion in H1 2015.
Looking at its operational highlights, Oando Energy Resources (OER), during the nine months ended September 30, 2016, recorded a production of 12.0 MMboe (average 43,617 boe/day) in the upstream, while in the midstream, the company signed a definite agreement to divest 49 percent voting rights in Oando Gas & Power (OGP) to Helios Investment Partners for $115.8 million.
During the period under review, OGP Achieved 59 percent completion in Central Horizon Gas Company (CHGC) Pipeline Expansion Project, while it achieved 93 percent completion in Greater Lagos 4 Project.
Oando said in a press statement announcing its financial results that the “Nigerian economic environment continues to impact our business as we witnessed a further devaluation of the Naira during Q3, 2016, from an average exchange rate of N280.00:$1.00 in Q2 to an average of N316.00:$1.00 in Q3 2016.”
This, it explained, has resulted in further foreign exchange losses due to an impairment of our dollar denominated receivables.
“For the major part of the year, we have faced operational challenges due to the unrest in the Niger
Delta, however we find comfort in The Nigerian Government’s discussions and engagement in the region, indicating a possible resolution and as thus we expect our production levels to stabilise and gradually incline in the coming months. Despite these economic challenges, we must highlight our achievements in the 3rd quarter as witnessed by the improvement in our top line revenue as a result of our new business model of a diversified business with higher weighted dollar earnings in both the Upstream and International Trading businesses,” Oando said.
It said the above drove revenues up by 96 percent and led to significant foreign exchange gains between the second and third quarters.
Commenting on the results, Mr Wale Tinubu, Group Chief Executive, Oando PLC said: “The third quarter witnessed the FGN establish a seize fire with the militants responsible for production disruptions in the Niger Delta, leading to stabilised daily productions from our assets and expectations of imminent increases to our 2015 production highs of 56kbbls/day.
“We have also been proactive in our cost management initiative to ensure maximised value extraction for every barrel of oil produced as the global oil price still lingers below $50/bbl. We are pleased to have executed a SPA with Helios Investment partners for ~$116 million, representing 49 percent legal voting rights in the company’s midstream business, of which the proceeds of the divestment will be utilised towards the company’s debt restructuring initiative.
“The trading business has grown significantly this quarter having exported over 14 cargoes of crude with volumes exceeding 14mmbbls and an additional 8 cargoes of other oil based products. Our business model of dollar denominated earnings is taking shape as evidenced from the increased revenue line and future increases from the Upstream business through production and export trading businesses through increased lifting’s, whilst focusing on reduced costs to ensure profitability through these streams.”
Operational Update
Oando PLC successfully concluded the recapitalization and partial divestment of Oando Downstream for $210 million.
Oando Energy Resources (OER) had an average production of 41,094 boe/day compared to 53,169 boe/day in the third quarter of 2015, this reduction was mainly due to the disruptions in the Niger Delta. Notwithstanding, the corporation continues to shrink its debt burden as witnessed by a reduction in debt from $900 million post acquisition in 2014 to $407 million today, signifying a total pay down of over 50% in 2 years.
Our trading business, Oando Trading Dubai (OTD) posted revenues of N64.9bn in Q3 from lifting volumes exceeding 14mmbbls from 14 cargoes of crude and an additional 8 cargoes of other petroleum products.
In September 2016, Oando PLC signed a definitive agreement with Helios Investment Partners to divest 70% economic rights in Oando Gas and Power. The agreed transaction consideration of US$ 115.8 million is conditional upon the receipt of regulatory approvals and subject to customary purchase price adjustments. Upon completion, 49% of the voting rights in OGP would be retained by Oando, while Helios Investment Partners will hold 49% and the residual 2% will be held by a local entity.
Oando Gas & Power (OGP) as at H1 2016, achieved 59% completion of the Central Horizon Gas Company 8.5 km pipeline expansion project, the pipeline, which is set to be completed in the fourth quarter of 2016, and will increase the throughput capacity by 400%, thereby providing increased supply of gas in the South-East region of Nigeria.
During the 3rd Quarter 2016, Oando Gas and Power connected 7 new customers to the pipeline network of GNL. These customers are expected to increase GNL’s gas volume sales in 2016. The business also connected 3 new major customers in GNSL, with significant increase in monthly volume sales performance.
Economy
MTN Nigeria 2025 Tax Remittance to FG, States Rises 15% to N878.7bn
By Aduragbemi Omiyale
About N878.7 billion was remitted to federal and state authorities in taxes, levies and duties by MTN Nigeria Communications Plc in the 2025 financial year.
According to details of the company’s 2025 Sustainability Report, this amount was 15 per higher than the previous year, helping the country achieve its target of expanding non-oil revenue and improving tax collection under its fiscal reform agenda, corporate tax contributions from major private-sector operators.
In 2023, MTN Nigeria paid N543.9 billion in taxes and levies, and a year later, it moved higher by about 62 per cent to N764 billion.
The N878.7 billion remitted to the government in 2025 covered corporation tax, value-added tax, spectrum fees, import duties, NCC levies and contributions under the Rural and Urban Terrestrial Infrastructure (RUTI) tax credit scheme, an initiative with deep roots in MTN Nigeria’s public-private partnership playbook.
The company has long embraced such mechanisms: it participated in the Road Infrastructure Tax Credit Scheme, under which it committed N202.8 billion towards reconstructing the 110-kilometre Enugu-Onitsha Expressway.
In 2025, the RUTI scheme reached 50% completion after securing approval for an additional N23 billion tax credit aimed at expanding fibre and telecoms infrastructure in underserved communities, a model the company argues supports infrastructure development without requiring direct public expenditure.
The report also highlighted the firm’s growing domestic economic footprint, with 62 per cent of procurement spending directed to Nigerian suppliers in 2025. This was up from 59.6 per cent a year earlier.
MTN Nigeria said the policy aligns with the federal government’s local-content objectives and supports sectors including civil construction, logistics, software services and power infrastructure.
The organisation’s operational footprint expanded to 2,087 active base stations nationwide, while active mobile subscribers stood at 85.4 million by the third quarter of 2025. Active data users rose to 51.1 million, supported by smartphone penetration of 65.1 per cent.
During the year, MTN Nigeria renewed its 800MHz spectrum licence for another 10 years, to December 2034, and secured regulatory approval to lease additional spectrum from T2 Mobile, formerly 9Mobile, across 17 states and the Federal Capital Territory.
Economy
NNPC Weighs Giving Chinese Investors 51% Stake in Port Harcourt, Warri Refineries
By Adedapo Adesanya
The Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited is considering a new partnership model that could give Chinese investors a majority 51 per cent stake in the Port Harcourt and Warri refineries as part of efforts to revive and commercially reposition the struggling national assets.
Details of the proposed arrangement emerged after NNPC signed a Memorandum of Understanding with China’s Sanjiang Chemical Company Limited and Xinganchen (Fuzhou) Industrial Park Operation and Management Co. Ltd. for what the national oil company described as a “potential technical equity partnership”.
The agreement, signed on April 30 in Jiaxing City, China, involved NNPC’s chief executive, Mr Bayo Ojulari, Sanjiang Chemical Chairman, Mr Guan Jianzhong, and Xinganchen Chairman, Mr Bill Bi.
According to reports, the framework is modelled after the Nigeria LNG structure, where investors hold majority equity, participate in governance and remain actively involved in operations over the long term.
Under the proposed arrangement, the Chinese firms are expected to help complete outstanding engineering and rehabilitation work at the Port Harcourt and Warri facilities while also providing operations and maintenance services aimed at delivering sustainable, world-class refinery performance.
Beyond restarting the plants, the partnership is expected to target capacity expansion, improved refining yields, cleaner fuel production and stronger profitability.
The agreement also opens the door to broader industrial ambitions, including petrochemical integration and gas-based industrial projects built around the refinery corridors.
Recall that Mr Ojulari, at the signing ceremony in April, described the deal as a major breakthrough following more than six months of negotiations.
“All parties recognise mutually beneficial opportunities for the development and long-term sustainable profitability of NNPC’s refining assets in Nigeria and the collective weight required for success,” he said.
He added that the MoU marked an important step towards identifying technical equity partners capable of restarting and expanding Nigeria’s state-owned refineries.
“The MoU is a significant step on the journey towards identifying potential technical equity partner(s) to restart and expand NNPC’s refineries and to explore opportunities in co-located petrochemical and gas-based industries,” Mr Ojulari stated.
Reports indicate that the arrangement remains non-binding and subject to technical, financial, legal and regulatory reviews before any final commercial agreements can be executed. Due diligence will cover engineering performance, operational viability, financial structure, commercial feasibility and legal compliance.
The Port Harcourt refinery rehabilitation contract had earlier been awarded to Italian engineering giant Maire Tecnimont, while separate repair efforts were also launched at the Warri refinery.
Economy
Eterna Fully Paid-up Shares Rise to Almost 2.2 billion
By Aduragbemi Omiyale
The total issued and fully paid-up shares of Eterna Plc are almost 2.2 billion after the listing of additional shares of the company on the Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited this week.
Precisely on Wednesday, an additional 882,064,158 ordinary shares of the organisation were listed on Customs Street, a regulatory notice confirmed.
These extra stocks were from the rights issue of the firm, issued to shareholders at N22.00 per unit on the basis of three new ordinary stocks for every existing four ordinary stocks held as at the close of business on Thursday, November 27, 2025.
Eterna wanted to sell a total of 978,108,485 units, but investors only picked 882,064,158, indicating a subscription rate of 90.18 per cent.
At midweek, the new equities were brought to the stock exchange for listing, increasing the total issued and fully paid-up shares of the company from 1,304,144,647 units to 2,186,208,805 units.
“Trading licence holders are hereby notified that an additional 882,064,158 ordinary shares of 50 Kobo each of Eterna Plc were on Wednesday, May 20, 2026, listed on the daily official list of NGX.
“The additional shares arose from the company’s rights issue of 978,108,485 ordinary shares of 50 Kobo each at N22.00 per share on the basis of three new ordinary shares for every existing four ordinary shares held as at the close of business on Thursday, November 27, 2025.
“With the listing of the additional 882,064,158 ordinary shares, the total issued and fully paid-up shares of Eterna Plc have now increased from 1,304,144,647 to 2,186,208,805 ordinary shares of 50 Kobo each,” the notice signed by the Head of Issuer Regulation Department at NGX RegCo Limited, Mr Godstime Iwenekhai, stated.
-
Feature/OPED6 years agoDavos was Different this year
-
Travel/Tourism10 years ago
Lagos Seals Western Lodge Hotel In Ikorodu
-
Showbiz3 years agoEstranged Lover Releases Videos of Empress Njamah Bathing
-
Banking8 years agoSort Codes of GTBank Branches in Nigeria
-
Economy3 years agoSubsidy Removal: CNG at N130 Per Litre Cheaper Than Petrol—IPMAN
-
Banking3 years agoSort Codes of UBA Branches in Nigeria
-
Banking3 years agoFirst Bank Announces Planned Downtime
-
Sports3 years agoHighest Paid Nigerian Footballer – How Much Do Nigerian Footballers Earn
